Character Backlash

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Beta Ray Howard
What's some backlashes you've seen of a character getting popular?

Wolverine and the X-men come to mind. Hulk would be another one.

willRules
Batman
Superman
Wolverine
Aunt May

outavodka
Superman
Wolverine
Flash
Dr.Strange
Batman
Thanos
Doomsday
Ironman
Cable
Ion
Martianmanhunter
Hulk
to name a few. The hate must stop.

freezedoom
What are backlashes? confused

Beta Ray Howard
Originally posted by freezedoom
What are backlashes? confused

Essentially, a lashing of hate because of the popularity of a character, and the fanboys that follow.

There was a slight one for Slade when the Teen Titans series came out on TV. I remember hating Slade myself.

SnakeEyes
Superman
Wolverine
Cyclops

Gregory
Batman and Wolverine are the big ones. Other characters get minor backlashes sometimes, but those two just draw it.

snoopdogg
Thanos is on his way.

Beta Ray Howard
Thanos isn't that popular. If anything, It'll just be a bunch of pissed-off Superman fans who don't like the fact that any of Starlin's characters could whup the ass of Big Blue. Let's not get off on that tangent though. There's another thread for that.

snoopdogg
Originally posted by Beta Ray Howard
Thanos isn't that popular. If anything, It'll just be a bunch of pissed-off Superman fans who don't like the fact that any of Starlin's characters could whup the ass of Big Blue. Let's not get off on that tangent though. There's another thread for that. Darkseid wasn't that popular either. Genis is another.

freezedoom
I still don't get it. huh messed wacko

Darth Martin
I still don't get it. huh messed wacko It means like what are some characters you resent or dislike now because of them being enormously overated or having too many fanboys.

Soljer
I still don't get it. huh messed wacko

What happens is, one or two fanboys overrate a character. They argue (very loudly) that he could beat people out of his league.

He then receives a lot of hate, and people underrate the hell out of him on the versus forums.

And the first part doesn't necessarily have to happen, it could just be an over-popularity of the character. If a character gets used in a TON of threads, people may get tired of seeing him, and thus, under rate him.

Wolverine is a case of the former. A while back, fanboys over rated him, and it generated a lot of hate. Now a days, most fans that argue for Wolverine don't really over rate him too much, but he still has a lot of backlash hate that nets him losses on the forums.

Strange is a case of the latter. He was used in a lot of threads, and is incredibly powerful due to his pseudo-deus-ex type powers. People got tired of him, and thus under rate him.

Thanos is also a case of the latter. Mostly only underrated by Kid Kurdy, for unknown reasons, and Nvrbnwthagrl because of his insane marvel hate and DC-bias.

erm.

Beyond those three, there aren't very large backlashes.

Batman doesn't really have a backlash to speak of. The Flash had a bit of one, but it's mostly died out. The Hulk is more often overrated on the forums than he is underrated due to backlash.

freezedoom
Kinda like Iron Man?
That guy started that stupid ''Superhero Act'' thing, and now
everyone knows every superhero real name and divided the
Marvel world into two (plus the neutral side).
I hope he gets his. mad

Beta Ray Howard
Kinda like Iron Man?
I hope he gets his. mad

Seems like you've got it down pat. stick out tongue

tjcoady
Kinda like Iron Man?
I hope he gets his. mad

No... characters on the KMC forums, not actually in the comics themselves.

Er, besides, Tony didn't actually start the SRH.

Beta Ray Howard
My personal backlash is against the X-Men. Aside from Astonishing, I just can't stand to read the titles!

Then again, I was always more of an Avengers and Hulk fan. Having an X-character in one of my comics when I was younger pissed me off. They had about five of their own.

srankmissingnin
The best example of character backlash is without a doubt the Punisher. There was a time when he was an extremely popular character and so Marvel decided it would be in their best interest to force feed him to their buyers and the buyers rejected it... and the character has never recovered from it.

olympian
Wolverine is a prime example. While Spiderman is also a Marvel cashcow you will never see that kind of backlash because hes a character that often loses (morally or not) as much as he wins. And that was always clever regarding the said character.

Wolverine? Passed from a cool character to the most overused runt around, to getting constantly a new origin shoved down our troaths and more powers.

Superman is another. Im still waiting the day he can create magic as a new power out of his arse.

Batman is another. The "BatGod" phase hurt the character more than it helped. "the i can beat anyone with prep" was due to receive the backlash it did, to the point it was cool to hate Batman.

Gambit was kind of another but in a much smaller scale. He was tremendly hyped in the 90`s, even moreso than Wolverine at the time, but got scaled down.

Iron Man is getting it due to Civil War. Its still up to see if he recovers.

Galan007
Wolverine (but rightfully so here on these forums)
Superman
Hulk
Flash
Iceman

Super Guy
Wolverine is the obvious one... Batman... Superman... and I've always hated how that pesky Rhino wins everything! no expression

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.