IGN Announces the winner of the best console 2006!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2006/12/28/ps3-is-console-of-the-year/

Anyone surprise?

(don't be fooled by the site...IGN did declare them as the winner)

AstroFan
Wow. no expression

Lana
http://bestof.ign.com/2006/gear/1.html

Hmmmm.

Still this, though.

http://bestof.ign.com/2006/overall/

PS3 is skating being a flop in the US anyway ermm

Morridini
Well what is this for then?

EDIT:
bah dont edit your mistakes while I post.

Anyway, sad news indeed. What's the world coming to?

§P0oONY
"We know you're aching to know what our overall picks from all platforms are. However, to give the IGN editors a chance to play every possible nominee over the holiday break, we're holding off on our final winners from all platforms until Friday, January 12th, so be sure to check back then. We'll also be posting your picks in mid-January, so look for the Readers' Choice ballots on the various IGN sites and tell us what you thought were the best titles of 2006.

Until then, enjoy reading our Best of 2006 channel awards, and remember to check back in January for our overall picks and to see what the IGN readers thought were the best of the year."

http://bestof.ign.com/2006/overall/

Edit: Damn, beaten..... disgust

Lana
Originally posted by Morridini
Well what is this for then?

Didn't see that one. You shouldn't have to scroll through a bunch of comments to find the link relevant to the article.

Take a look at my edited post.

Blanka
no expression

Ricodrayz
Well the said it's the best new console, not that it has the best new games or more fun. PS3 is a freaking beast so it should win in console stuff, it has to much crap in it. Now if it was VS controls or games/Fun the Wii would win.

WrathfulDwarf
I'm still in shock...well, no...NOT really. I knew someone was pull this at IGN.

whatever...

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Lana
Didn't see that one. You shouldn't have to scroll through a bunch of comments to find the link relevant to the article.

Oooh....

Gutted....

Morridini

I noticed your edit right after posting and then edited my post.

And they did hide the link pretty well, as if they didn't want to be taken seriously.

§P0oONY
I've never played or seen a PS3 (other than on images) so I can't comment but it must be perfection itself to beat the lovely Wii.

WrathfulDwarf
Anyone else caught this stupid comment:

"The Wii can't even play normal DVDs."

Some people are just too **** retarded.

"OoooOOooOhhhh...I can't wait to put movies in my video game console WAKAKAKAWAKWAKA!!!!!"

Ricodrayz
Again lol did they say games and controls? Nope, teh PS3 has everything the Wii CONSOLE has plu Dvd, more power and potenial as a console itself.

Lana

§P0oONY
Can we really say the PS3 is heading for a flop? All we've seen now is initial sales (which are good but say nothing) and perception of the online community which is really very split on the issue.

Ricodrayz

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Anyone else caught this stupid comment:

"The Wii can't even play normal DVDs."

Some people are just too **** retarded.

"OoooOOooOhhhh...I can't wait to put movies in my video game console WAKAKAKAWAKWAKA!!!!!"

laughing Its so true though, why would you want a game console with a DVD player? its pointless unless you don't have a DVD player at all or on the TV your using. Most people I know have 2-3 DVD players in they're house, another one is just pointless, since most people play they're game consoles on they're main TV unit (most that I know anyways, myself included) And the main unit always already has a DVD player. Why do you need 2 or 3 DVD players for 1 TV? I mean I have 4 DVD players in my house, one of which is in my room already hooked up to my TV in my room. I don't need another DVD player. DVD players are for playing DVD's. Video game consoles are for playing Video Games...Amazing how that one works, its pretty self explanatory IMO, but then apparently, what do I know?

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Ricodrayz
Again lol did they say games and controls? Nope, teh PS3 has everything the Wii CONSOLE has plu Dvd, more power and potenial as a console itself.

Value for money? Bite for buck? Surely this should be taken in to consideration. And as it's console of the year it should be nothing about potential, just what the system offers now...

§P0oONY
Yeah lol, the 360 had a crap launch and look at it now.

Look at Dreamcast. Fantastic start, flopped.

Ricodrayz

WrathfulDwarf

Lana

Ricodrayz
It's on;y came out a little while ago. Of ocurse it won't have that many good games like every other system. It had 1 though. Let's all just wait lol before saying who wins and fails.

Lana
Technically we can't...we really have to wait for the European launch. That is when sales are expected to raise. Europe is always a decisive factor in video game sales.

The fact that the European launch has been delayed so much will likely have a negative impact on its launch there, I think, being as Sony was making this huge deal of a simultaneous worldwide launch and then shafted the largest gaming market in the world.

§P0oONY
Sales are actually not doing that well at all. It's doing okay, but not good, and certainly nowhere near the level that Sony was claiming to have. And if they can't capture a fair amount at and soon after launch and fall far enough behind, they'll be very hard pressed to catch up.

And, as said, the lack of games for it is giving the PS3 no favors, and blu-ray movies so far are of very crappy quality because they haven't yet worked out a decent way to compress the data.
Is it not currently sold out all over the country?
Technically we can't...we really have to wait for the European launch. That is when sales are expected to raise. Europe is always a decisive factor in video game sales.
That's becuase Europe rocks... smokeOriginally posted by Ricodrayz
Well liek I said 10 times already, as a console it has more packed in it than the Wii console. Only the console, no games no controls just the console period.
A console is nothing without games. It's just a DVD player then... or Blu Ray player... whatever.

Ricodrayz

Lana

§P0oONY
I work in a tiny store and we had five of them sitting in our backroom today. Worked a six hour shift and didn't sell any of them, and we've always got a PS3 or three in stock. I've heard the same thing from people all over the country.

You'd have a harder time finding a DS than a PS3 now.

Now that.... I didn't know.... Mind stealing one and shipping it my way? stick out tongue (not a DS... got one of those already.... well 2...)

If you are only comparing the hardware for gear of the year then....... They didn't compare which had better game sor controls.

Well they should have... disgust

AstroFan
The bluetooth controllers like to randomly lose the connection and stuff, and our demo system at my work has been frozen for a week now.

Since the week of the launch, every demo system ive seen has been frozen, makes me laugh everytime. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ricodrayz

Lana

§P0oONY
Aren't PS3's selling well in Japan though, like better than the 360?

Lana

§P0oONY
Okay, the boxes are massive and way a freaking ton, it'd probably cost as much as the damn system does to ship it, and I'd like to keep my job, thanks. AKA not a chance in hell stick out tongue

Ours actually worked for a while. We just don't care enough to reset it. Doesn't help that it's locked in this case that's a pain in the ass to get into...so yeah, it just stays frozen.

Worth a try I guess. My door just won't stay open... I figured a PS3 would work nicely.

AstroFan
Ours actually worked for a while. We just don't care enough to reset it. Doesn't help that it's locked in this case that's a pain in the ass to get into...so yeah, it just stays frozen.

Walmart here actually disconnected the controller, so it just stays frozen too. lol

§P0oONY
Pretty much anything in Japan will sell better than a Microsoft product...that's really not saying anything at all.

The majority of people buying and interested in the PS3 aren't kids, but rather grown adults, who thus don't really need to worry about saving for it.

And it certainly flew off shelves at first, but it's slowed down immensely.

That's of course true.

Ushgarak
What a very strange statement.

To say that from a hardware perspective the PS3 is "by far the more interesting console."

I am very, very confused indeed by that, and that gives me seriopus pause for throught over the judgment and intelligence of those who formulated it. Professionals too. VERY worrying.

The PS3 is by far the more POWERFUL console. It is by far the more sophisitcated technological achievement. But interesting? The ENTIRE problem here is that the PS3 is totally unimaginative- simply more power bolted on, at a massive price.

I actually cannot see any argument that could possibly challenge the idea that in hardware concept, the Wii is the more interesting console. It's certainly been interesting enough to get me to buy a console for the first time... well, effectively the first time ever.

The PS3 is positively boring., heck, even if it turns out to be the greatest console ever... it's still a very boring piece of tech. PS2 with... more. I cannot see a single interesting thing about it- and I believe the interest shown by the press, including ign, vindicates that in every possible way.

I'd even call the fact that the Wii cannot play DVD s as something that actively makes it more interesting as a design decision.

Very, very weird. I really hope they just chose the wrong word. If that indicates their genuine sentiment then no reasonable person should have any confidence in their abilities to make intelligent critique.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Ushgarak
What a very strange statement.

To say that from a hardware perspective the PS3 is "by far the more interesting console."

I am very, very confused indeed by that, and that gives me seriopus pause for throught over the judgment and intelligence of those who formulated it. Professionals too. VERY worrying.

The PS3 is by far the more POWERFUL console. It is by far the more sophisitcated technological achievement. But interesting? The ENTIRE problem here is that the PS3 is totally unimaginative- simply more power bolted on, at a massive price.

I actually cannot see any argument that could possibly challenge the idea that in hardware concept, the Wii is the more interesting console. It's certainly been interesting enough to get me to buy a console for the first time... well, effectively the first time ever.

The PS3 is positively boring., heck, even if it turns out to be the greatest console ever... it's still a very boring piece of tech. PS2 with... more. I cannot see a single interesting thing about it- and I believe the interest shown by the press, including ign, vindicates that in every possible way.

I'd even call the fact that the Wii cannot play DVD s as something that actively makes it more interesting as a design decision.

Very, very weird. I really hope they just chose the wrong word. If that indicates their genuine sentiment then no reasonable person should have any confidence in their abilities to make intelligent critique.
To be honest though, I felt the same way about the PS2. That still sold amazingly though and later had some pretty decent peripherals. It's a dull, boring console but then again so is most of the general public.

Ushgarak
Well, I'd have no issue with that. I'm not saying it as a PS3 critique. It might well end up being all the better for it.

My point is purely that ign used the term 'much more interesting', which I believe is akin to trying to say it is 'much more white' than the Wii.

The PS3 might be many things, but interesting it ain't.

I mean... the Wii is a mainfestly less powerful console. We all know the reason it is doing so damn well is 100% because it IS interesting and new and novel and all that.

... I really can't believe they said that.

Ricodrayz
That's right *Sacrifices a PS3 to the Wii gods in my closet"

§P0oONY
The only thing interesting is working out how to get your money's worth.

Lana
Or working out how to afford it in the first place...

...and then how to keep it from breaking.

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Well, I'd have no issue with that. I'm not saying it as a PS3 critique. It might well end up being all the better for it.

My point is purely that ign used the term 'much more interesting', which I believe is akin to trying to say it is 'much more white' than the Wii.

The PS3 might be many things, but interesting it ain't.

I mean... the Wii is a mainfestly less powerful console. We all know the reason it is doing so damn well is 100% because it IS interesting and new and novel and all that.

... I really can't believe they said that.

For some reason this post made me laugh, because I can picture you saying that all confused...

BackFire
I'll give them credit for going againt the popular trend, but I just can't agree with it. Gameswise PS3 is pisspoor right now.

Ricodrayz
We will see when the games come out. To early. 360 games were crap at the beginning but only had COD2(was on other systems at the time) but still. PS3 has RFOM right now but maybe down the line it will have more like the 360 did. PS3's online is free too so if you are an online playing guy and a game is out ofr the PS3 and 360..get the PS3 one because 50 dollars a year pretty much will cancel the PS3s extra money you payed for it in the long wrong.

General Kaliero
This is just confusingly wrong. More interesting? I think currently a wet pussy cat is more interesting than a PS3.

More powerful, sure. But that really amount to nil, seeing as games are practically non-existent at the moment.

So to recap:

PS3's one possible hook, Blu-Ray, is no good right now because they're still only figuring out how to compress movies onto the disc.
PS3 actually lowers the graphical quality of PS2 games.
The controller connection is iffy at best.
It only has a couple decent games, and no system-moving games.

Hmm... maybe the PS3 is most interesting. Most interesting in how it even made it to the sales stage in the first place.

Pulse2
I think the problem with PS3 is the price point at the moment, also the late launch, had it been release at the same price as 360 and the same time as 360, most likely it would have won out already, but Sony has recently messed things up. Its good news that the Japanese seem to love it, but the Japanese alone will not support its lifespan unless they buy as many as they did DS' or PS2s and I doubt thats likely.

I wouldn't say the PS3 is uninteresting, cos thats a rather bland and baised comment, to many, Wii and 360 aren't particually interesting, but then it is a slow comer, and although the lack of games and quality of those games released are expected of a console launch (just the same way 360's launch was god awful and how ppl compared games to xbox original graphics) it is not exactly what we want at the moment, the PS3 is interesting to former PS2 owners who haven't been interested in the competition or blu-ray buyers or techno geeks.Its just a matter of gamer appeal.

But the fact that people are comparing the PS3 launch titles to 360 2nd gen games is a sign of good things to come from the PS3, when they will come is another story, but its just time playing about here. Sony is doing my head in at the moment, but I am a former PS2 owner and would very much so like a PS3 as well as the other 2 consoles smile

Ushgarak
"I wouldn't say the PS3 is uninteresting, cos thats a rather bland and baised comment, to many, Wii and 360 aren't particually interesting"

No, I disagree EXCEPTIONALLY strongly with that. I think anyone who can call the PS3 interesting and the Wii not is badly lacking in sensible judgment.

From any objective point of view, the Wii has shown itself as a far more interesting and innovative console. That doesn't mean better (though it might), but I cannot see a single way in which that claim can be reasonably disputed.

Pulse2
I agree with what you are saying and despite wanting a PS3 disagreed with IGN, what I was getting at is just because someone says its uninteresting, doesn't mean it is, to some it will be to others it won't, just depends on what you look for in a console, innovation, gameplay, graphics, sales, quantity of games or other features the console has not relating to games.

I think IGN could support PS3 without being so biased towards Wii, as many would disagree strongly to this point and it is rather offensive, I understand they had to give the award to someone, but there has to be better reasons then this, Wii is very much interesting, infact it's pure fun, however, I for example couldn't just blankly give an award to Wii and say its more innovative, thats it, or 360 because it has more games, these are just as bad as saying PS3 is more interesting.

SaTsuJiN
lmfao... the best 'new' console.. thats the stupidest award ever... next it'll be 'shiniest console'

they totally ripped xbox's idea to reach the operating system via a button placed in the center of the controller.. and ripped off of nintendo's motion sensor controller with their SixAxis... people like that hardly deserve any kind of award IMO.

I've also heard people having trouble with the ps3 detecting HDMI on Sony monitors... /sigh

Aside from my personal viewpoint... its just too damn early to be giving out awards whatsoever.. these editors have got to be joking..

if anything, it should have been 'nicest game not out yet' and vote heavenly sword

http://img.pro-g.co.uk/images/ps3/heavenly_sword/screens/heavenly_sword_2.jpg

InnerRise
I'm really looking forward to Heavenly Sword. drool

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

AstroFan
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN

if anything, it should have been 'nicest game not out yet' and vote heavenly sword.

no

Mass Effect yes

InnerRise
Originally posted by AstroFan
no

Mass Effect yes When does that come out?

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Lana
In April.

Superboy Prime
Best Game not out yet...

Bioshock...

or...

Mass Effect...

or...

Too Human...

ot...wait

Maybe Halo 3?

:P

AstroFan
BioSHock doesnt really interest me much. no

It looks really odd to me. lol

Lana
Bioshock I want, badly.

Even though I know it'll terrify me.

But still.

Superboy Prime
Bioshock I want, badly.

Even though I know it'll terrify me.

But still.

LoL. Same here.

SaTsuJiN
I'm more into 'context sensitivity done right' ... like gears of war.. that whole game is build on context sensitive material and its great

so what is mass effect?

I know about bioshock.. and its ambitious.... I dont like to ride my hopes on ambitious games.. which is why I dont consider halo 3 a candidate.. it looks like halo 2.5

Superboy Prime
Mass Effect is an RPG developed by Bioware.

K73SK
lol of course ps3...ign has the stupidest top 10 games, did you think they'd know what was the best console? stick out tongue

WrathfulDwarf
I like what Ush and SaTs had to say. I still don't see how the PS3 is consider "interesting" in a video game sense of the word. Hyped...yes! That I do agree the console have and continue to be the target of the media. Aside from that...the PS3 is nothing more than popularity. This is where I think IGN is making the judgment. It's more about popularity than actual fun factor. Which as we all know video games are about fun.

Ricodrayz
They are comparing the console not games. Ign had a bash the PS3 article every day lol. You can't say the have a Sony fetish.

General Kaliero
They are comparing the console not games. Ign had a bash the PS3 article every day lol. You can't say the have a Sony fetish.

You don't understand. The console, by itself, is pointless. You consider a console based on the overall experience of playing it.

Therefore a competition between consoles has to involve the features and games of each. The features of the PS3 could not be considered "more interesting" than the features of the Wii.

Ricodrayz
Originally posted by General Kaliero
You don't understand. The console, by itself, is pointless. You consider a console based on the overall experience of playing it.

Therefore a competition between consoles has to involve the features and games of each. The features of the PS3 could not be considered "more interesting" than the features of the Wii. Ok lol. *Touches Wii's leg*

Pulse2
If anything, they are about as interesting as each other, my gf has better features :P Shes way more "interesting", oh wait, I can't say that, its biased!

No, but seriously, I think its best to just leave the PS3 with its IGN award, it needs a little upping now and then with all the "worst launch", "Most uninteresting", "Shambles", "Technical bust", "Most dissopointing", "Inferior to 360 gfx", "Getting thrashed by Wii" awards it has been getting recently, jeez, let it have one thing positive to have already, lol.

Actually, the PS3 is the most interesting console, interesting as to how Sony plans to get its foot out of the quicksand without falling fully in, and intersting as to how they got its foot stuck in there in the first place, interesting as to whether the price will remain that high, interesting as to whether the games will ever be as graphically superior as we hope to think.

So yeah, it does have high interest, and seeing as it is the most talked about console at the moment, both negative and positive (which in a way is free advertising to a certain degree because this is about as big as hurricane Kitrina) yes, I agree with IGN for once, it is the most interesting.

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by Pulse2
If anything, they are about as interesting as each other, my gf has better features :P Shes way more "interesting", oh wait, I can't say that, its biased!

No, but seriously, I think its best to just leave the PS3 with its IGN award, it needs a little upping now and then with all the "worst launch", "Most uninteresting", "Shambles", "Technical bust", "Most dissopointing", "Inferior to 360 gfx", "Getting thrashed by Wii" awards it has been getting recently, jeez, let it have one thing positive to have already, lol.

Actually, the PS3 is the most interesting console, interesting as to how Sony plans to get its foot out of the quicksand without falling fully in, and intersting as to how they got its foot stuck in there in the first place, interesting as to whether the price will remain that high, interesting as to whether the games will ever be as graphically superior as we hope to think.

So yeah, it does have high interest, and seeing as it is the most talked about console at the moment, both negative and positive (which in a way is free advertising to a certain degree because this is about as big as hurricane Kitrina) yes, I agree with IGN for once, it is the most interesting.

This isn't how they meant it though. They meant "interesting" in terms of the console itself, not the events surrounding the console. And I completely disagree with IGN, the PS3 isn't the most interesting console, its probably the least interesting console. All it is is a PS2 with better graphics, crappy trigger buttons and an "I wanna be a Wii" motion sensor on the controller... which, BTW doesn't even have a rumble feature which is an industry standard now. The Wii is BY FAR the most intrinsically "interesting" console, I mean most people who can form intelligent thought could tell the Wii is more "interesting" then the PS3 by simply looking at it. This doesn't mean the Wii is better of course (though right now it arguably is) both have disadvantages and advantages. The problem that the PS3 is facing at the moment is that its not even comparable to an Xbox360 in terms of content, graphics, and games (and online capabilities). People are going "WTF? Why would I pay $700 to buy a system that isn't noticeably (and in most ways inferior) graphically, has worse online play, has no games, and in no way is any different then an Xbox360, which is far cheaper?". Basically, at the moment, the Xbox is giving you WAY more stuff for less money then the PS3 is, and thats whats killing it. That being said though the PS3 is still a "newborn" on the console scene and hasn't had time to mature into a good system yet, which I have no doubt that it will in about a years time, but right now its nothing but a more expensive 360 that isn't even as good as the 360.

General Kaliero
Anomaly's post made me realize something. The PS3 is currently what the PS2 would have been without the 3rd party support it has. No FF, no MGS, no Dragon Quest, no KH. Since it doesn't have any of the superb 3rd party support as of yet, the truth about both the PS3 and PS2 is revealed: without support from the biggest game designers, it just isn't worth the money.

Pulse2
But isn't anything better then relying on a gaming mascot to save you each time, Nintendo makes its own games, as well as Microsoft, although it hasn't really done much for its own console and relyied more on Bungie. I realise Sony has relied on its third party support and I think it plans to make changes about this, but we can only wait and see how this develops, Sony will be forced to make its own games, both to proove to us it is worth the money and to demonstrate to third parties how it should be done, this is what I think they were aiming to do with the buying of Guerilla other then going head to head with Halo.

However, Sony has a strong key point, variety which sold the PS2, if they get sucked into this hardcore gamers point of view, they'll find themselves in deep crap, the reason PS2 was a sucess is because it had games to appeal to everyone, so far the PS3 is lacking that, if it can cover all areas of gaming from sports to FPS, plus have the graphical potential Sony boasted it would have, no doubt it will sell, but for now, its far from that, its not taking its own path, too busy trying to compete with Microsoft when Microsoft should be the least of thier concern if people loose interest in the Playstation brand. They should have done a Wii, do what they needed to do and avoid competing with 360 head on as then it diffreciates the consoles and would give people more reason to pick up a PS3.

Micro set a trap, and Sony is stupidly falling into it.

K73SK
i heard the ps3 stole the ideas of achievements from the xbox360.. true?

Pulse2
Originally posted by K73SK
i heard the ps3 stole the ideas of achievements from the xbox360.. true? Stole? The PS3 scrapped that idea, they don't have it at all, btw, if any of you may have noticed, as for the he stole, she stole thing, I'm kind of sceptical, we never really saw the first PS3 controller (which I actually liked and everyone called it a boomerang, but yet its better then having the old PS2 controller back again) in action, so we can't say it didn't plan to have motion sensing in the first place, and as for the button in the middle, if you haven't noticed, the first prototype PS3 controller, yes the boomerang also has a button in the middle confused

We can't really point fingers as we never got to see the first prototype in action, before it could be shown at E3, it was changed, we only saw pics of it, but we knew about Wii motion and 360 because they had be preveiwed fully first. I'm not saying what you're saying is wrong, I'm just not agreeing with you either, we had no idea of what the original PS3 controller could do, we only saw pics of it, pics mean nothing.

BackFire
Originally posted by K73SK
i heard the ps3 stole the ideas of achievements from the xbox360.. true?

They stole other things, like the online interface from Microsoft which is supposed to be piss poor in comparison, and the motion sensor controller from Nintendo.

Pulse2
Originally posted by BackFire
They stole other things, like the online interface from Microsoft which is supposed to be piss poor in comparison, and the motion sensor controller from Nintendo. Well we knew about the interface, but the controller we had no real proof of, we just assumed that Sony copied Nintendo after they went back and remade the controller but had any of you stopped to realise the boomerang which had een previewed for as long as both 360 controller and Wii controller had no wires, and was rather small, could this mean that it already had motion sensing? Or was it just wireless, utill we have proof that Sony during the redesign added motion on, I think this will remain an unsolved mystery.

MadMel
even so, nintendo had the motion sense thing for five years..and the first pic i saw of the "boomerang" controller was only last year..how long ago were the boomerang pics first released??

AstroFan
Originally posted by BackFire
They stole other things, like the online interface from Microsoft which is supposed to be piss poor in comparison, and the motion sensor controller from Nintendo.

The Playstation Store is very Virtual Console like. no expression

MadMel
hey did you see the fanboy comments at the bottom of the article..
roll eyes (sarcastic)

ESB -1138
Sony Playstation 3 is the console of the year? Well that's just from IGN.com and really they wouldn't know interesting if it hit them. Really, they threw in that piece of crap motion sensors which hurts your wrist after half an hour of playing. Their launched sucked, they had no great games to back them up. They had Resistance: Fall of Man which is an okay FPS. Nothing special about it. Okay sure the online can go up to 40 on 40 but no one ever has any headphones.

You know how boring an online game is when you can't talk to anyone because they don't have headphones? You might as well play single player mode.

As for online, you get what you pay for. Sony's online cost nothing so you get nothing. Xbox-Live is easily the better online experience then Sony has. You can't even see if any of your friends are on unless you two are just so happening to be playing the same game. Which in this case isn't too hard until PS3 can get some actual games out.

The fact is Sony promised us Toy Story graphics and so far even though the PS3 has just come out the 360 easily has games with better graphics. Now I know the 360 has been out for a year and so has had a head start but games coming out for the PS3 doesn't look any better. Final Fantasy XIII's CGI cutscenes looks as good as Final Fantasy XII's. Really it will take FAR TOO LONG for any great looking games to come out on the PS3 to put forth it's potiental.

But then again graphics aren't everything. Don't believe look at the Dreamcast and compare it to the Playstation2. The Dreamcast was twice as powerful as the PS2 but who won? Speaking of Dreamcast, DC is getting a new game coming out next year. They're still making DC games? Who knew?

Really Mircosoft is happy with its second position in the console wars but Sony seems to have ended its reign as number one. The PS2 (since the PS3 came out) has been doing better then the PS3. So basically the PS2 is hurting the PS3. The PS2 are getting great games which makes people wait to get the PS3. Basically it's:

Waste $600 on the PS3 and get no games (or good games) or keep my PS2 and buy some great games? Really no contest there.

360 has had a year to make itself known and with games like Halo 3, Blue Dragon, and Lost World the PS3 won't have an easy fight considering the 360 is cheaper to get.

Not to mention the Nintendo Wii which is really a fun little system with great games coming out like Super Smash Bros Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Sonic and the Secret Rings, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

Sony has tried to take the handheld market but they failed to take it from Nintendo. And the PSP was vastly superior then the DS when it came to graphics and hardware. But the DS won that fight and the Wii can win this one too.

BackFire
Well we knew about the interface, but the controller we had no real proof of, we just assumed that Sony copied Nintendo after they went back and remade the controller but had any of you stopped to realise the boomerang which had een previewed for as long as both 360 controller and Wii controller had no wires, and was rather small, could this mean that it already had motion sensing? Or was it just wireless, utill we have proof that Sony during the redesign added motion on, I think this will remain an unsolved mystery.

The fact that Sony's motion sensing aspect isn't used by most games, and is shoehorned into others supports that it was merely an afterthought, something they saw Nintendo doing, and doing well, and decided to throw it in so they could have another bullet point on the back of the PS3 box.

IceJaw

Lana
Dunno, but the 360's at like...8-9 million I think, so came close anyway.

ESB -1138
Nintendo of America on Monday announced that it had sold more than 600,000 Wii units since the console's launch and that with first-party and accessory sales the system had brought in $190 million in its first week.

"Even with sales already in excess of 600,000 units, demand continues to exceed supply, as it's clear this is one of the 'gotta-have' products for the holiday season," said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "We've shipped retailers several times the amount of hardware the other company was able to deliver for its launch around the same time -- and we still sold out. Given the inclusive nature of Wii game play, we're seeing this new form of video gaming is already a huge hit with gamers and newcomers alike. It continues to be a phenomenal launch."

As expected, The Legends of Zelda: Twilight Princess was the best-selling Wii game, with 454,000 copies sold to day. That means 75% of all Wii owners are also playing Zelda.

The Big N originally stated that it planned to ready about a million consoles for the debut in the Americas. Despite the smaller number of units available at launch, Nintendo is still expected to make close to four million Wii systems available for purchase before year's end.

Pulse2
If Wii is at 3 million then thats already quarter of 360's sales, all Nintendo needs is to have more in stock and I can see it catching 360 within the next year or 2 and maybe even surpassing it. As for PS3, PS3 has a lot to proove, but PS3 despite what a 360 fan or Wii fan may say still has quite strong support, and if what analysts say is true and 60% of PS2 owners are likly to buy a PS3 before any other console, I can't see Sony failing any time soon, however PS3 has cost them a large portion of market share and maybe even the lead, saying that there is quite some support still running for it apparently, the Japanese seem to like it despite the bad press, maybe because they expect to see the same great RPGs they played on PS2, and over here in London anyway, PS3 has been talked about quite a bit, that and Wii, but I have yet to find anyone with Wii, because I'm dying to play it sad

K73SK
Originally posted by MadMel
even so, nintendo had the motion sense thing for five years..and the first pic i saw of the "boomerang" controller was only last year..how long ago were the boomerang pics first released?? nu uh!! theyve had it longer!! remember duck shooter? smile

General Kaliero
Not motion sensing. That's light tech. Basically when you pull the trigger, a white square appears around the target and the camera in the gun scans the image. if the square is more or less in the center of the image, it's a hit.

Pretty archaic tech, nowadays.

K73SK
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Not motion sensing. That's light tech. Basically when you pull the trigger, a white square appears around the target and the camera in the gun scans the image. if the square is more or less in the center of the image, it's a hit.

Pretty archaic tech, nowadays. oh...well either way, a good idea for horrid technology eh?

MadMel
Originally posted by MadMel
how long ago were the boomerang pics first released??

Pulse2
That and the 360 controllers were revealed before the Wii controller was, months infact, I remember when they first announced what the controller for Wii would look like, I was baffled but did not come down on it, however, I believed it was a fake pic, until it was confirmed to be real.

But at that time, even after the Wii controller was shown off and details of its motion sensing was revealed, Sony kept tight lipped about thiers, it wasn't even previewed for gaming, so I don't think there is much proof that they definatly added it afterwards that I have seen ???

I'm slightly dissopointed it doesn't have rumble, but oh well, might as well deal with it, its not as if rumble played an important factor of my life, and if I ever miss it, I'll play my 360 or Wii.

ESB -1138
That and the 360 controllers were revealed before the Wii controller was, months infact, I remember when they first announced what the controller for Wii would look like, I was baffled but did not come down on it, however, I believed it was a fake pic, until it was confirmed to be real.

But at that time, even after the Wii controller was shown off and details of its motion sensing was revealed, Sony kept tight lipped about thiers, it wasn't even previewed for gaming, so I don't think there is much proof that they definatly added it afterwards that I have seen ???

I'm slightly dissopointed it doesn't have rumble, but oh well, might as well deal with it, its not as if rumble played an important factor of my life, and if I ever miss it, I'll play my 360 or Wii.

Then you didn't see E3 '05 because Sony showed off their controller and explained all these GREAT things the PS3 would do. All Nintendo said was their console would revolutionize games. PS3 basically revealed everything and in fact the PS3 was suppose to be released in 05.

Pulse2
They showed off little or nothing, yeah, they did boast the PS3 (stupidly), but we still had no idea of what the controller could do, even after E305 people were commenting on the boomerang controller (although it wasn't half bad in my opinion, a little weird shaped, but quite cool looking) , but there was no word on what it coulda achieve.

Hmm, I think Sony hasn't done so bad in America, 1.1 m sales, not bad at all considering ir hasn't begun selling in Europe yet, and although it was delayed, there seems to be more a positive outlook on PS3 over here then in America, but then again, I'm just speaking about London and Paris and Madrid which I vist regularly, either way, most of the people I have spoken to are waiting for a PS3. Wii did amazingly well over here as well, it was accepted very easily and sold out shortly.

OB1-adobe

DarthBandel
laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud @ u stupid wii and 360 fans whom were sayin the Ps3 was not goin tobe suscessful.

PS3 WINS!

AstroFan
Uhoh, he is back...

Episode II: Attack of the Penis

BackFire
Originally posted by DarthBandel
laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud @ u stupid wii and 360 fans whom were sayin the Ps3 was not goin tobe suscessful.

PS3 WINS!

Wins IGN, sorry to break it to you, but IGN is not the authority on what system ends up being successful. The sales numbers are, and the PS3 is already dying down in that department.

DarthBandel
Many analists say the Ps3 have shown strong sales. so no IGN is right on this case.

DarthBandel
here is the proof http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/03/datamonitor_ps3_forecast/

DarthBandel
told you so!

General Kaliero
Preysin, your link proves nothing, except that the PS3 was destroyed in Christmas sales. One market watcher's "reckoning" is worth nil compared to cold, hard, facts. A.K.A. sales numbers.

AstroFan
Stop ****ing talking to yourself.

Lana
Many analists say the Ps3 have shown strong sales. so no IGN is right on this case.

PS3 has not shown strong sales at all. It is in fact harder to get a DS than a PS3 right now.

here is the proof http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/03/datamonitor_ps3_forecast/

That is a prediction, not proof of anything.

And do not post multiple times in a row like that; there is an edit button. Use it.

Barker

PS3 WINS!
What the f**k?

BackFire

One company, as opposed to the many others who have said Nintendo or MS will sell more of their systems.

Regardless, the fact that most stores now have PS3's just sitting there, waiting to be bought is proof enough that they aren't selling as well as their competitors.

MadMel
ps3s sales are ****ed..face it preysin..

((The_Anomaly))
My friend has a PS3, and its a nice machine, but its not worth the money to buy it yet.

WrathfulDwarf
So what's the point of having a PS4 so soon if the PS3 will sell 75 millions units in 2010?

The numbers don't really add up. confused

Sony would have to sell at least 15 million PS3 each year till 2010.

blink

Pulse2
PS3 is selling pretty crap right now, excluding Japan, its sold out still over there, theres a higher demand for it other there then in America, the main reasons for it doing so poorly is the high cost, the fact that people have already spent money on their 360's have have little reason to buy a PS3 at the moment and also despite the fact its a launch console, it will be a while before the real games start coming out worth screaming about.

Not even I a guy who wants a PS3 more then anything at the moment is willing to go out and buy one yet, 1. Its not released over here and 2. I don't do launches.

However, I have no doubt the PS3 will perform better in Europe and Japan, theres quite a bit of hype for PS3 here in London and Japan based on the fact that 360 is selling poorly over there will most likely take the PS3 as thier second console of choice besides Wii.

When the games start releasing worth talking about, then I will see it doing better in the whole of America, right now its doing okay in some parts but not all as some states instead of having difficulty trying to stock it are having difficulty trying to sell it.

All I can say is if they have some on shelves, why in god's name do we in Europe not get any, when there some bloody hanging around in America doing nothing sad

Lana
Because Sony sucks and decided to delay the European launch - that is not anyone's fault but their own.

OB1-adobe
PS3 has not shown strong sales at all. It is in fact harder to get a DS than a PS3 right now.

That is a prediction, not proof of anything.

And do not post multiple times in a row like that; there is an edit button. Use it.

Thats because they're not shipping hardly. I saw more Ps3 come and leave out the door than DS's coming to the store. No where near as many. I don't know what the deal is with nintendo, but its like we get 10 at a time. PSP's sold a shit ton too.

Lana
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Thats because they're not shipping hardly. I saw more Ps3 come and leave out the door than DS's coming to the store. No where near as many. I don't know what the deal is with nintendo, but its like we get 10 at a time. PSP's sold a shit ton too.

Also because one of them is much more desired at the moment, and that's sure as hell not the PS3.

PSP sales are picking up a bit again but still not any significant number.

Pulse2
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Thats because they're not shipping hardly. I saw more Ps3 come and leave out the door than DS's coming to the store. No where near as many. I don't know what the deal is with nintendo, but its like we get 10 at a time. PSP's sold a shit ton too. I think its cos your the mod that that reply shocked me the most :O I know it's Sony's loss, I wouldn't say they decided to delay it for the wrong reasons, they delayed because there were issues with the PS3, I would rather not have the faulty blu-ray PS3s and let it be delayed, unless you are that desperate to get a console, a delay shouldn't bother anyone but the console makers.

I think the delay was rather irritating at first, but it hasn't let down the modd, there is still a good reaction over here, infact the dealy has only built up more hype, I hope this hype turns into sales.

I'm not particually desperate for a console, so I'll gladly wait until the PS3 collects some better games then pick it up, if the 360 starts getting some games I like then I'll pick that up too, right now, both of them fail to get me excited.

The Wii is the only console I think I will pick up within 2007 if possible.

Lana
Uhhh, I'm assuming you meant to quote my post by your first comment.

But people SHOULD be pissed by the delay in Europe, as one of the things that Sony was making a huge deal about was a simultaneous world-wide launch. They didn't even announce the release date officially until September; they should have known by then they'd have a shortage of systems available for launch due to not having working tech and thus that that wouldn't be possible.

BackFire
Yeah, be pissed. Your europeans are missing out on quality gaming with the likes of Resistance and......Resistance.

Lana
That wasn't QUITE the point I was making stick out tongue

Pulse2
Uhhh, I'm assuming you meant to quote my post by your first comment.

But people SHOULD be pissed by the delay in Europe, as one of the things that Sony was making a huge deal about was a simultaneous world-wide launch. They didn't even announce the release date officially until September; they should have known by then they'd have a shortage of systems available for launch due to not having working tech and thus that that wouldn't be possible. Pissed? Yeah, when we first heard about it, over the last few months, all I've heard about was PS3, PS3, PS3, but then I live in London were talk gets around fast, can't say the same for Italy and France etc. Dunno about them, only England.

Don't get me wrong, 360 was hyped near lauch, but convo on it has sorta died down, I don't even know anyone with 360 sad Which is rather annoying because I wanna play Gears of war, I know one person who picked up Wii, that doesn't mean either is doing badly or ignored, just means I happen to not know anyone that has one. I've heard about retailers slagging off PS3 in America, but over here, you can have a friendly unbiased chat with the retailers, when I talked to one at Virgin the day after Wii launch, he wouldn't stop going on about PS3 and Wii, he said he had gotten his Wii and loved it and was waiting to pick up a PS3, he didn't mention 360 for some reason, but I'm guessing hes just an individual because others I have spoken to talked about the good points of all and refused to talk about the bad, after all, they are selling.

Also, unlike America, there aren't magazines over here ranting about which console is superior or news stations discussing it, they only talk about the launches and keep it at that, so barely anyone cares about media and publicity over here, the day I see BBC slagging off a console on live TV, I will be majorly shocked.

I think 360's hype was slightly stolen by PSP and DS, it was sold out here too like everywhere else, but talked about little, it was all about the cool people who were watching eh em on thier PSPs or playing games during lessons on thier DSs. PSP is more of a fashion statement here, while DS tends to appeal to the younger gen, no offence to DS by any means, just stating the facts, you are more likly to see an teenager and above over here with a PSP then a DS, and if you find someone, I'd pay you $10 for each person you find. And all my little cousins have DSs, so its no wonder its a big hit, for every one teenager or older with a PSP, there are like 10 kids with DSs smile

Pulse2
Going back on topic, I don't think the PS3 will do too badly over here, Sony already has a big hold of the market over here, so people trust them despite whats going on, and unless you're a hardcore gamer that knows all the news going on around the world and takes it seriously, you are bound to pick up a PS3.

If PS3 had more stock, while ppl are saying Wii will come out first in Japan, I am also sceptical of this, Wii is popular there, but not as much as the DS, there is quite a bit of hype for PS3 there too, I'm not gonna make any solid statements as I can't find the link to back myself up with facts. But a survey was carried out after the Wii launch and PS3 did pretty well in that survey.

The only reason I have no interest in 360 myself is because I have never been all to excited about FPS games, and the only games that look remotly exciting to me on 360 are FPS, hopefully with will change soon and FPS won't remain the craze since Halo, aslo, my internet connection is poor, I only just managed to connect my PS2 online before the adapter busted, so Xbox Live is about as useful to me as an empty coconut, and I don't think that without live there is much fun, most people I have spoken to have completed thier games within 2 days or so, this would annoy me alone.

Seperating it, otherwise it looks like a news article, lol

sith_darth_jay
I'm a hardcore Sony fanboy and I have no shame in admit it , but I'm also a gamer and sometimes I have to see things in a much wider perspective, as much as it hurts my fanboyism.

I have to admit I was one of the first ones to make fun of the wiimote, I didn't understand it at the moment, and was astonished at the lack of imagination of the controller design (don't have to tell me, I know I was being stupid) I thought i looked just like my TV remote and wasn't impressed about the fact that I had to swing the remote to play and get tired after 20 min, when i could just comfortably sit on my couch or lay on my bed playing my games (I'm throwing a question here: is it tiring to play with the wiimote or is it just comfortable, and do i always have to be standing up? i wouldn't really know rite now).
but after a while, and to my honest surprise, I find myself interested in the console and badly craving one. it took me a while to understand it and actually the game that sold me the wii (metaphorically speaking) was Red Steel, if i wasn't for that game, I wouldn't have much desire in having a wii as i did then. (although I've heard that RS isn't as impressive as i thought it to be).
I hate Nintendo ever since N64 (i know i'm gonna get flamed here but i think it was the worst console ever, although it has quite a few awesome games) because how they focused so much in graphics and screw up great games as DK and many others (even zelda didn't escape, after the masterpiece OoT was they launch that crappy Majora's Mask just for the bucks), while PS graphically inferior had the most and best game of the time. now it seems they learned their lesson.
I'm really pissed off at Sony rite now because it seems they fell in the hole nintendo did. i just hoped they can get out of it before they're doomed.

It' no brainer PS3 its the most powerful console out there, but without games to back that up, and take full advantage of it, it will just flop.

I'm currently thinking of getting a Wii or 360 in the next 2 months. i think I'll go with the 360, since it has more games, that i could easily get, rather than just 10 Wii titles at my disposal (I don't live in the States so Its harder for me to get wii games), about the PS3 i would definitely be getting one.... 2 years from now, whether it flops or not.

as for the topic. i don't think PS3 is the most interesting console, when clearly the wii takes that compliment, as being the must have gadget rite now (kinda like the Motorola RAZR in is time). but i would say ItS FUTURE its' what makes it interesting, not the console itself, and i think that's what they meant when IGN says ''more interesting''

AstroFan
Whats the best game of all time you mention?

Pulse2
I think an attractive asset but also problem is the openess of it, its been complimented upon, but aslo pondered upon. The PS3 is so open that it is fairly simple to create software for it, look, its only been out a while and already you can download and install various softwares made for it over the PS3 browser. This is good as in the future I can see all kinds of things available to be downloaded and installed on your PS3, but this is also bad, it opens the console up to hackers and all kinds of other people. In the openess of the console sense, I'd say it is very much like a PC, and if this is so, I can see art software and more being made for the PS3 as external sources create them, but with the goodies of a PC come the bad things as well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.