How good is Silver Surfer's telekinetic and telepathy skills?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AcousticDoc
Is Surfer on par with Xavier and Jean when it comes to pure telepathy and telekinetic abilities? Surfer has been able to resist some of moon dragon's psychic attacks as well as telepathically communicate with all of earth's being at one time (the comic where he makes everyone feel joy and happiness).

K3VIL
Power Cosmic>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mutants.

Scoobless
Invoking emotions in primates doesn't equal telepathy.

pantysniffer
Originally posted by Scoobless
Invoking emotions in primates doesn\'t equal telepathy.

No but communicating with his mind to Alicia does!

Scoobless
I'm not convinced though..... he has the power to communicate with any life form, but it seems that communication is as far as his "tp" goes ... I've never seen him read someone's history or control them with mental powers

pantysniffer
Originally posted by Scoobless
I\'m not convinced though..... he has the power to communicate with any life form, but it seems that communication is as far as his \"tp\" goes ... I\'ve never seen him read someone\'s history or control them with mental powers

In this I agree with you. However he can communicate. That said he did bring Quasimodo a bloody computer to \"life\". So he\'s powers can be incredibly stupid.

long pig
His TK skills are pretty high end. His telepathy skills are only passive.

Strange got into his mind, sent his consciousness away and took control over it without much problem at all.

Endless Mike
Pretty good, I remember one comic where he was attacked by a pure telepathic entity composed of psychic energy, and he reflected the attack back and destroyed its mind.

long pig
A friend an myself talked about this for a long while, and I continue to believe Surfer is ONLY a passive/defensive telepath.

Meaning, he can talk to you in your mind, but not take over your mind. He can **** someone up if they were IN his mind, though. He can dominate someone who enters his mind, but only if they enter.

But, he's been taken out by telepathic assaults by high-end TPs. Moondragon wasn't able to take him out, but Strange was.

Stupid Rookie
Originally posted by long pig
A friend an myself talked about this for a long while, and I continue to believe Surfer is ONLY a passive/defensive telepath.

Meaning, he can talk to you in your mind, but not take over your mind. He can **** someone up if they were IN his mind, though. He can dominate someone who enters his mind, but only if they enter.

But, he's been taken out by telepathic assaults by high-end TPs. Moondragon wasn't able to take him out, but Strange was.

Yeah I don't like that Strange was able to do that. Mephisto can't, but strange can. I think that was crap, but that is just me.

King KAM
Originally posted by Stupid Rookie
Yeah I don't like that Strange was able to do that. Mephisto can't, but strange can. I think that was crap, but that is just me. considering Strange has owned Moondragon in a TP fight...i think you should Shut the **** up

but that just me.

Wally West
Did he really own Moondragon? In Infinity Abyss beating Moondragon in a TP battle was so difficult Strange collapsed straight after the fight and was knocked out (still an impressive feat, but not an owning). And although there could be no truth behind it, Moondragon did say she only lost because she was under the control of a Thanos clone during that fight.

Also, (in Infinity Crusade) all Moondragon did was fire a mind blast at Surfer, he freed himself from the Goddness, not Moondragon, who then left it up to Firelord to deal with Surfer.

King KAM
Originally posted by Wally West
Did he really own Moondragon? In Infinity Abyss beating Moondragon in a TP battle was so difficult Strange collapsed straight after the fight and was knocked out (still an impressive feat, but not an owning). And although there could be no truth behind it, Moondragon did say she only lost because she was under the control of a Thanos clone during that fight.

Also, (in Infinity Crusade) all Moondragon did was fire a mind blast at Surfer, he freed himself from the Goddness, not Moondragon, who then left it up to Firelord to deal with Surfer. anytime you loose to Strange it seems like an owning.... I mean youve seen how the man talks, how dramatic he is, its like fighting vincent price for chists sake.

Mindship
I'm not convinced though..... he has the power to communicate with any life form, but it seems that communication is as far as his "tp" goes ... I've never seen him read someone's history or control them with mental powers

If I remember correctly, the first time SS and Hulk fought, SS read his mind and discerned his history.

As for mental control: my guess is, SS doesn't go for control that way for the same reason he rarely fights h2h: he doesn't have to, not with the vast array of abilities PC gives him. Also, what would differentiate "genuine" TK from moving things via PC anyway, especially since, in the MU, psionics is considered some kind of electromagnetic force?

Personally, allowing SS "psionic" powers is piling more stuff onto an already overloaded powercart. It just further highlights the "absurdity" of his needing a board to fly...though I did present a theory on that in the SS respect thread. shifty

Rewmac
Originally posted by King KAM
considering Strange has owned Moondragon in a TP fight...i think you should Shut the **** up

but that just me. big grin big grin You just owned him Kam...

Soljer

While that's a good theory, I believe it is more reasonable that he is only a passive telepath because he is a passive person. The Surfer is a pacifist, through and through, and would probably rather NOT try to mindrape someone.

erm.

long pig
Originally posted by Soljer
While that's a good theory, I believe it is more reasonable that he is only a passive telepath because he is a passive person. The Surfer is a pacifist, through and through, and would probably rather NOT try to mindrape someone.

erm.
Meh, you really can't assume these things. It's only true until it's proven, until then, it's nothing.

Soljer
Meh, you really can't assume these things. It's only true until it's proven, until then, it's nothing.

I know, just providing an alternate explanation.

Not ACTUALLY saying that "he can! He just hasn't!"

King Kandy
TK's good.

TP's not so good.

long pig

No, no, I understand. I was just countering is all. For what it's worth, I believe him to have that ability as well.

I don't remember that, but what ELSE would she say? She's called herself the universe's greatest telepath for years, telepathy is all she does, her only talent and she lost to a guy who lists telepathy as something he does on the side. It's got to be embarassing.

manjaro
in a really old school SS, he talked to this girl with a simulcrum of TP and he futzed with the electricty in her brain, and while she talked the action was playing out like a movie over her head.

guy222
Originally posted by K3VIL
Power Cosmic>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mutants.

Celestials created mutants

K3VIL
Originally posted by guy222
Celestials created mutants
And except for Jean "Without PF I suck" Grey and Franklin Richards, there are few mutants who could give a herald a decent fight.
Celestials placed in human DNA potential for a superior evolution, Galactus can just take any John Doe from the universe and change him in a powerhouse.Celestials modus operandi is different, but they'll surely be able to do such.Still Heralds>>>>>>Most mutants

Stupid Rookie
considering Strange has owned Moondragon in a TP fight...i think you should Shut the **** up

but that just me.

Oh please, Moondragon didn't do **** to SS, and also I believe I was comparing Strange and Mephisto. Do you consider MD>Mephisto in his realm. STFU

Roldz
Bout the only thing ive yet to see Surfer do in terms of offensive psi-abilities is mind control, his done Tp, TK, mental assault (ala penance stare, Firelord done similar feat as well) and psionic energy conversion...
Mostly he does use it for defensive purposes and very little showings at that, this why people think his either passive or a non existent psi talent... I once argued against someone of same topic in diff.. forum..

long pig
Originally posted by Stupid Rookie
Oh please, Moondragon didn't do **** to SS, and also I believe I was comparing Strange and Mephisto. Do you consider MD>Mephisto in his realm. STFU
Surfer resisted Moondragon's mental assault, Strange beat her with his own mental assault. There is a big difference.

If I had to rate his telepathy, it'd be around the level of old Emma Frost.

darthgoober

Why not? It's an honest statement...
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/6457/silversurferv3144p14ne7.th.jpg
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/7018/silversurferv3144p15xo5.th.jpg

DigiMark007
I'll leave this open for a bit. But it's a borderline questions thread topic.

And is he using tp there goob? It looks to me like it's just energy encasing her...he might just be threatening death in that first page, not a tp mindrape.

darthgoober
Originally posted by DigiMark007
And is he using tp there goob? It looks to me like it's just energy encasing her...he might just be threatening death in that first page, not a tp mindrape.
I guess it's open to interpretation, but I take the comments regarding "taking her individuality" and "leaving her an empty husk devoid of consciousness or thought" as an indication of a mental attack. I know it looked like a typical energy blast but that's the way Surfer typically manifest ANY exotic abilities(levitation, transmutation, reprogramming/disabling computers, etc.) so the visuals aren't really much of an indication IMO.

DigiMark007
Fair enough. A bit too ambiguous for my tastes. A nice find, but not something I'd take to the bank to say Surfer has tp powers.

tjcoady
anytime you loose to Strange it seems like an owning.... I mean youve seen how the man talks, how dramatic he is, its like fighting vincent price for chists sake.

this is the one of the funniest things I've read on this forum.

Doctor-Alvis
anytime you loose to Strange it seems like an owning.... I mean youve seen how the man talks, how dramatic he is, its like fighting vincent price for chists sake.
Oh lordy. Kam, you just cracked me up for a year and half in the past.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.