HMS Surprise: PIRATES!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

willofthewisp
To anyone in the San Diego area, there is a ship called the HMS Surprise that was used to film "Master and Commander" (have to see the movie now!) and it has been converted into a pirate museum. And there are all kinds of things that tie into POTC.

Grog: any drink made with rum

Pieces of 8: Size of an American 50cent piece, sometimes square in shape rather than round. Proper name "eight reales" which were shipped back to Spain to fund their empire.

They even had people walking around in costume saying "ar." It's a lot of fun and I highly recommend it. You tour that, a Russian sub, and three other ships.

Oh, and this was disturbing. It said that male and female pirates both were often covered in tar before being publicly executed.

Chiki Mina
Oh man, I wish I was in California.

sparrobethroxmy
oooh that sounds cool i'll try and check it out! big grin

surfchikpir8fan
yeh that's so kool ur so lucky i also read in both of the pirate books i got for crissie that pirates covered themselves in tar before battle so swords would slide off them ...

PirateDiva
Is it Going on Now!!!!?

willofthewisp
Yeah, it goes on all year round. They even have the actual Pirate code posted up. Bartholomew Robert "Black Bart" wrote up a code. I guess pirates actually kept slaves and Black Bart actually came up with a rule that no pirate can have his way with women prisoners, but most pirates got around that by assigning a "protector" who would make sure no one would rape her while he got to himself.

Oh man! Has anyone heard of Anne Bonney or Mary Read? They were so cool! And they were mistresses of Calico Jack, and I think they intentionally or uninentionally patterened Jack after him.

- called Calico Jack because of his fine clothes, very concerned about how he came across to people

- huge womanizer, attracted to adventurous women whose lives were more interesting than his own (Anne Bonney and Mary Read)

- Was famous (infamous) for how he prefered negotiation and bagaining to actually "pillaging"

surfchikpir8fan
Here is what was in my book -

"Mary Read and Ann Bonny
1690's - 1700's

Both these women became pirates at a younge age. They sailed with Captain Jack Rackham, another famous pirate of the day. Both women were strong and brave and could outfight many a man. Together they once defended an attack by government troops as their own crews lay sleeping below."

And from my other book -

"Anne Bonny and Mary Reid" (names are spelt differnt in both books and I'm not sure why).
Several women have dressed as men and became pirates - from Ireland's Grace O'Malley through to Anne Bonny and Mary Reid. The latter were both fiece fighters who sailed with Calcio Jack. In fact, they were the only two crew members to put up resistence when his ship was taken, the men being being too drunk to fight. Convicted of piracy, they escaped being hanged by "pleading their bellies" - both were pregnant. After the trial, Bonny visited Calcio Jack in his cell, where he was awaiting his execution. "I'm sorry to see you like this, Jack," she said. "But if you had fought like a man, you needn't be hanged like a dog!"

Lol, I love finding out pirate history. Thankx for starting this thread, willofthewisp.

surfchikpir8fan
In this picture of two girls are Mary Read with the orange feather and sword, and Anne Bonny is the other with the black dreadlock hair (yay) and gun!

surfchikpir8fan
This is a picture of just Anne Bonny. It is captioned, "Anne Bonny, the ferocious female Caribbean pirate."

jackismyboo
TO ALL YOU JAACK SPARROW lovers in disneyland and i think disneyworld too there is a pirtae there a real life person not johnny depp sorry but a man dressed up as jack sparrow he has all the moves talks the same and acts the same could actually be his twin at the park. people fallow him around and take pictures with him and have a full on conversation with him he is there everyday and later i will tell you the time when he shows up it is actually very fun and very popularbut unfortuantley just too lazy to look. You can get an autograph and the whole works. I don't know if that interest anybody but i thought maybe you would like to know

willofthewisp
Under the Black Flag says that both Anne Bonney and Mary Reid had passed as boys before because they were illegitimate children and their dads wanted to disguise them as apprentices and clerks, etc. Anyway, when they were finally caught and put on trial, they both turned out to be pregnant like what surfchik said, and Mary Reid survived and ended up dying later of a fever, but Anne Bonney's fate is a mystery. Anyone have any take on that?

PS: This is kind of funny. Both were dressed as guys on Calico Jack's ship and Anne kind of had a thing for Mary so she took "him" aside and revealed she was a woman, so Mary had to reveal to Anne she was also a woman. Awkward.

surfchikpir8fan
lol, nah I find that funny. I'll have to do a wiki search, lol.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.