"This weapon is your life"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ToMacco
I thought of something the other day:

In Clones when Obi-wan hands Anakin his lightsabre back and says "This weapon is your life, try not to lose it."

I can't help but think this statement will have something to do with Anakin giving his blue blade to Obi-wan (to give to Luke). Perhaps this is Anakins last good deed, knowing that he is damned to the darkside.

yerssot
who says he GIVES it?

Dexx
i'm sure obi doesn't just steal it.

yerssot
what if Anakin didn't listen like always and looses his weapon?

Ushgarak
'Damned to the Dark Side' is very obscure when it is a personal choice. Nothing can force him to do it. If he's going to be doing good deeds then he wouldn't fall at all.

I am pretty sure that Obi-Wan takes 'Anakin's' sabre after their final duel and hands it to Luke knowing that if the Anakin he had known had had a son and had died, he would have wanted his son to have it.

Either he takes it like that or Anakin simply abandons his old one, as presumably Dooku did as well.

Dexx
possibly....3 more years and we'll find out

yerssot
perhaps not, perhaps only two with some spy reports

Ushgarak
Ah, that old chestnut again, eh?

mah
the lightsabre-happening should be marked is some way at least, he cant just throw it away, and obi finds it...well maybe if thats done good

Dexx
i'm partial to obi wan taking it after he kicked anakin's ass.....
Maybe anaking gasps something about it from the boiling lava stick out tongue big grin

Corran
It would be pretty Lame for Obi-Wan to just take the sabre without more significance, and as we all know GL would not do anything lame, would he? wink

Dexx
there were some lame dialogues in ep. II And obi taking the saber wouldn't be lame. He would probably question his right to own a JEDI lightsaber

ToMacco
There probably won't be any explination at all. Boy would that boil my blood.

Dexx
unless we make GL read this thread

Corran
But GL already reads all of these threads.....doesn't he?

Dexx
dunno...i hope i won't have to go by his place again...just to let him know wink

finti
maybe Obi Wan just built a new one for when Luke would come of age

yerssot
but that would be lying? no?

Dexx
yes..and i wouldn't count on it

yerssot
from your point of view

Corran
Obi-Wan would not lie to Luke. wink

yerssot
he would, he definitly would

Corran
Do you really think so?

yerssot
it well could be actually

Dexx
luke's saber is not made by obi and pretended to be anakin's. period

finti
oh how sure you are, can you tell me why?

yerssot
*in best Mace Windu voice*
it's not in his character

Julie
I have to agree with Yerssot on that one

Dexx
i'm tellin ya...that saber belonged to anakin. The force itself told me roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
Or maybe Anakin abandoned it at some point before he became Vader. Whatever, I am pretty sure that it WAS Anakin's, and obviously the didn't LITERALLY give it to Obi-Wan to give to Luke but the point remains that Anakin WOULD have wanted Obi-Wan to do that.

Not that Vader seemed to mind when he sent it falling down the chute at Bespin, mind.

finti
hmmm, well he might retrive the sabre after their alleged volcano battle.
And I guess Anakin goes by the name of Darth Vader by then, but then again he should have had a red saber...........confused
Hmmm (again) Obi will retrive it at some other point then..... or ..

Corran
Thinking on further what Ush said about Vader not minding when the lightsabre when falling down the chute at Bespin. Maybe when Anakin starts to turn to the dark side he creates a new Lightsabre, because a lightsabre is supposed to hold part of the characteristics of the Jedi themselves, in the changes that come about Anakin he may feel it necessary to build the new sabre, he then gives the old Sabre to Obi-Wan for him to pass onto his unborn child, I think that Vader may know that Padme is pregnant because he is quite shocked when Luke unwittingly lets his guard down and lets his emotions reveal he has a twin yet at no point is he found to be shocked at having a son.

Ushgarak
Well, we don't know if he was shocked because he found out between ANH and ESB. It would also be odd if Vader knew but the Emperor didn't, and you would have thought that his obsessive search would have started earlier if he had known... but it is still possible.

ToMacco
All interesting points. But I still think Obi-wan's comments in Clones will have something to do with the sabre Luke gets.

"This weapon is your life, try not to lose it." Try not to lose your life, so give your life to your son. Give the sabre to your son? I don't know.

finti
and I am sure Anakin knows nothing of any offsprings, not as Anakin nor as Vader.
Obi said, in ROTJ, "the Emperor knew as I did if Anakin was to have any offsprings they would become a treath to him".

Either Obi picks up a saber that belonged to Anakin or he makes it himself.

Mujaffa
A great thing too have:

Gundark
I think Obi Wan will take it from amongst Anakins' things left at the Temple whenever Anakin turns and abandons the order. I bet its one of the very last scenes.

Dexx
possibly..but what would anakin fight obi with?

Julie
maybe he'll build a new one....you know a spare....(persona;lly I doubt the possibility as well)

Dexx
Maybe it's a gift from sidious..that put's an end to things. Naaah....too complicated.
I think obi pics it after he kicks his pdawan butt big grin

ToMacco
Wouldn't it be a buzzkill if the issue was never delt with?

Julie
eek! don't even think the thought!

finti
I can go for that

Julie
a lightsaber is very handy as a weapon, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say "this weapon is your life...."

yerssot
well, you can't just quit the order... sure, you can run away though

Julie
uh does anyone know what he was talking about?

ToMacco
yerssot is drunk again.

"This weapon is your life" HAS to do with Obi-wan later giving the sabre to Luke. It would be stupid if it didn't. George Lucas needs to tie the trillogies together more.

Ushgarak
It doesn't have to be that at all! It's just a point about the importance of a sabre to a Jedi. I think they are pretty well tied as they are.

ToMacco
Maybe.

Julie
why tie them.....they're so different and that's a good thing

Dark Lord Djas
Maybe when obi-wan knocks Anakin into the lava, when he is retrieved from the lava he tells Obi-Wan to give the saber to his son. Which would connect with "This saber is your life". But then again it could be anything else. big grin

finti
I dont think he would have a family chat with obi after being retreived from the lava. I belive Obi wan made a saber for Luke, I dont think Vader was awere of any children before after the Yavin battle

Dexx
anakin from hot boiling lava
g..give...cchhhh.....give this *gasps* saber...t...to my son. quick ...quick man, before it melts.

Ushgarak
Like I have said before, Obi-Wan knew that Anakin would have wanted any son of his to have his sabre, even if this request was not actually made in person, for obvious reasons. I believe the sabre IS Anakin's.

queeq
So do I. Although.... I did find that Anakin's sabre in AOTC looked very much like Vader's in the OT and less like Luke's in ANH.

finti
I think Obi makes it for Luke

queeq
Well, he has been known to be a liar.... so why not.

finti
yeah

Darth Ninja
While we're talking about giving lightsabers away . . . What happened to Qui-Gon's green lightsaber? Obi-Wan kept at the end of TPM, yet he has a blue lightsaber at the beginning of AOTC.

finti
he made his own, guess that is about the pride of a jedi to make your own saber

queeq
And put QGJ's sabre in his personal museum.

finti
or his utility drawer

Ushgarak
All those rumours about Luke's ROTJ sabre, of course...

finti
what rumours

queeq
Yeah, what rumours?

Ushgarak
It's an AGE old fan rumour that Luke's sabre in ROTJ is green because he built it out of QGJ's old one, found in Obi-Wan's hut.

Darth Ninja
Many fans insist that Luke's green lightsaber wasn't Qui-Gon's because Shadows of the Empire has Luke building his own lightsaber in it. SOTE is EU and that means it isn't written in stone. I just think it would suck if some future (EU) novel has Obi-Wan losing Qui-Gon's green lightsaber or having it get destroyed.

Ushgarak
You can actually argue that as the sabre-building but was in the radio play, it has come claim to canonicity. But in any case the sabres are not the same, clearly- the idea is that it was built with the PARTS from QGJ's.

queeq
Hmmmm.... well, who knows. A bit lame, but ok.

finti
very lame

queeq
Yup

finti
extremly lame

queeq
Yup again.

GordonSkywalker
I'd buy that! That's not really lame,if one takes a moment to reflect on this statement from Ushgarak:If it is widely excepted that the events in Shadows of the Empire are correct in explaining Luke Skywalker's new sabre in "Return of the Jedi",then why not go further and say he used parts from Qui-Gon Jinn's sabre,which Ob-Wan kept all these years? I think that is as good an explanation as any,my friends.

justinday15
When anakin falls into the lava, or whatever. obi-wan thinks he is dead so he picks up his lightsaber and keeps it until Luke is old enough.

GordonSkywalker
Both thoughts are equally plausible, I think.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.