Recent superhero movies cannot cast right

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lighthammer
With BLADE and X-men exceptions, picking the actors to play the main heros(not villains the actors playing the villains on the most part have been good)has not been done well.
Tobey Maguire as Spiderman just barely off base
Eric Bana as Bruce Banner the only thing he di like Banner was have a similar sounding last name.
Fantasic four-only good choice was Michael Chiklis as The Thing, Ioan Grufford Jessica Alba, and that other guy were not good at all.
Batman- Keaton did fairly well but Kilmer and Clooney were subpar, and Bale was as bland as you can get.
Routh as Superman-So-so
In the future they are not doing good either. Nicholas Cage as Ghost Rider? Come on. If they wanted to use a bigger name actor, Bruce Willis would have been better. Ryan Reynolds as the Flash? What's next Dane Cook as the Green Lantern?

The Joker#1
Can't believe you didn't mention Topher Grace as Venom. What a joke.

Scoobless
I disagree with half of that.

Lighthammer
Yeah Topher Grace as Venom is a joke, though Thomas Hayden Church as Sandman is actually a good choice.
Also, Kirten Dunst is not Mary Jane, I am sorry(no wait I'm not) but Kirsten just doesn't pull it off.

quickshot
i disagree with you insulting Cage, the guys got dedication to comics he named his son Kal-EL

Lighthammer
First of all I am nnot insulting Cage as an overall actor(for the most part, hes been agood actor), I am just saying that he is not the right choice to play Ghost Rider. Second, so what if he is loyal to comic books? Its good that he is, but that doesn't mean he gets the right to automatically be cast as a superhero, and that doesn't mean that I should automatically like his performance.

Evil_Ash
Originally posted by The Joker#1
Can't believe you didn't mention Topher Grace as Venom. What a joke.

I don't know. With Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Maguire apparently having no interest in continuing their roles. Donna and Fez could replace them. stick out tongue

TricksterPriest
Lol. What about the choices that were done right? Like Ian Mckellan as Magneto, Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin, Patrick Stewart as Prof. X......, shit having trouble thinking of anyone besides those 3.

Blair Wind
Ryan Reynolds would make a perfect flash no expression

and I liked Bale as Batman. Better than the other guys who have played him

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Ryan Reynolds would make a perfect flash no expression

and I liked Bale as Batman. Better than the other guys who have played him yes

StarsNeverFall7
Ryan Reynolds has got the personality and the appearance for a Flash, what I don't get is he is supposedly also under review for a possible Namor role and a possible Deadpool role, how true that is im not entirely sure.

Hes got the Namor physical part down, but I dont think the arrogant price of the atlantians fits him and well unless they want to make something horrible they need to stay away from attempting to make a DP movie..

Captain REX
I never saw Hulk, but I disagree with most of the comments you made regarding actor choices. Except Fantastic Four; Jessica Alba was terrible.

Supreme being
Originally posted by Lighthammer
With BLADE and X-men exceptions, picking the actors to play the main heros(not villains the actors playing the villains on the most part have been good)has not been done well.
Eric Bana as Bruce Banner the only thing he di like Banner was have a similar sounding last name.
Fantasic four-only good choice was Michael Chiklis as The Thing, Ioan Grufford Jessica Alba, and that other guy were not good at all.
Batman- Keaton did fairly well but Kilmer and Clooney were subpar, and Bale was as bland as you can get.
Routh as Superman-So-so
In the future they are not doing good either. Nicholas Cage as Ghost Rider? Come on. If they wanted to use a bigger name actor, Bruce Willis would have been better. Ryan Reynolds as the Flash? What's next Dane Cook as the Green Lantern?

I disagree with some of what you have stated, chris Evans from FF was the only decent thing in that movie the rest of the cast was so and so. And well Bale as batman was just awsome you have to remember his potraying a young Bruce Wayne so the character might seem alien to you. Brandon Routh was alright but he was in that awful film so that pulls him down a bit but apart from that yeah must castings are just a mess.

MattDay
shut up all of you

Captain REX
Is there a problem, Matt?

But yeah, I agree with Supreme being. Bale is definitely a good choice for Batman. Routh was good as well, just that the movie wasn't all that amazing.

TricksterPriest
No. stick out tongue

Lighthammer
Ryan Reynolds would make a good flash
Now if they made a Green Lantern movie, that would be really hard to see who would play him.
If it was Kyle Rayner,at least visually I keep thinking Marc Orrell(guitarist for DKM). However I don't know if he can act since he has never been in a movie to my knowledge so I'll put that aside. Going with people I know can act my top three would be I would probably have to say either Chris Evans or Matthew Fox.

Blair Wind
I was thinking Josh Hartnett for Kyle. Havent really seen any of his movies, but I think he looks enough the part erm

pr1983
Routh as Superman-So-so

what do you mean 'with the exception of x-men', the x-men movies had more bad casting than they did good casting... some of it was simply god-awful...

and reynolds does NOT have the personality of the flash, that is if we're talking about wally west... he isn't like the damn cartoon...

and bale was a decent batman imo... no, imo he was a good batman...

Lighthammer
There is a reason why Bale played a guy in Equilibrium where emotion is banned, because he cannot show emotion and when he does he looks like hes about to burst out laughing when he's supposed to be sad.Bale was anything but a good Batman.

pr1983
There is a reason why Bale played a guy in Equilibrium where emotion is banned, because he cannot show emotion and when he does he looks like hes about to burst out laughing when he's supposed to be sad.Bale was anything but a good Batman.

are you serious? bale was, imo, good in equilibrium... i could see him slowly lose control, letting his emotions gradually surface and influence his decisions...

i liked him... erm

fsufan89
I personally thought toby McGuire is the perfect spiderman and Brendon Routh and Christian Bale are a good superman vs batman

King_Mungi
No one remember the rumors Jack Black was suppose to play Green Lantern as a comedy?

SnakeEyes
Routh as Superman-So-so

I don't mean to sound harsh (or maybe I do), but you, sir, have NO idea what you are talking about.

jgiant
Reynolds would make an excellent flash haha...good choice!

roughrider
Can we limit this to films that have actually been made?
We can talk all we want about how good Ryan Reynolds would be as Flash or Deadpool - until it happens, it's all speculation.
I think casting for comic-based films has been quite good in recent years, in particular the X-Men films and Christian Bale as Batman. But casting isn't everything; I thought Daredevil was a mediocre film despite it's great casting across the board. The worst decision I've seen lately was the complete switch they did to John Constantine, so Keanu Reeves could play him. thumb down

Lighthammer
Okay liked Equilibrium too. Bale was good as Batman its just the film overall was worse than I hoped and it made his performance looked weaker than it was. However sir, I do know what I am talking about with the other movies.
Spiderman castingproblems everywhere. The first only casted Harry and Norman right. The main problem with that film was plot. Yes I know they can't follow a specific commic books storyline. But at least make the characters superpowers and backstory right. He met MJ in College not in high school. Second he got his powers way before he met MJ. Three He never had the power to shoot webs. That came from a chemcial he created that he strapped to his costume but never had the physically ability to shoot webs out of his body. Third he shot off his webs in school in a crowded cafeteria with many students and teachers around. And your telling me not one of them saw a stream of web fluid come out of his arm? Ridiculous.Third. Where in the world is Flash, who was Spidey hs nemesis, even in Ultimate Spiderman?
Superman. Routh so so as Superman. Spacey however nailed Luthor. Way better the Gene Hackman, who though a good actor, is not all the right choice for Lex Luthor.

Dinalfos
They made those changes in Spiderman on purpose, it has nothing to with inadequacy. Although Topher Grace is a terrible (not to mention disrespectful) casting decision.

pr1983
You say:

I do know what I am talking about with the other movies.

but then you go and say:

confused

spacey, if anything, was just hackman x50...

the spidey changes were born out of necessity, and i felt that regardless of the changes, the spidey movies are possibly the finest marvel movies ever made...

MattDay
spiderman having chemical webbing sucks, he's spiderman, if he didnt have natural webbing, he's be just guy who can sense danger and jump around a lot... the webbing nails the "spider" part of his name, comics got that one wrong, the film got it right!

Swanky-Tuna
The first only casted Harry and Norman right.
I thought the guy playing Harry kind of sucked. Especially in the second movie. It was like he was reading off a teleprompter.

Is it not more important to stay true to the spirit of the character? All this crap is nerdal retentive semantics. Some of it wouldn't even fly with people not into comics.

I wondered about the cafeteria thing though. But I guess it fits with how invisible Pete seemed to be. Or maybe they could of just shrugged it off as some nerd experiment.

qqqqqqq
hugh jackman did well in xmen but halle berry should have half his lines as she is the real leader.

Silverstein
storm is not the real leader, Cyclops is. and they already gave storm a lot of lines, since halle demanded a bigger role in x3.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.