Battle of the Heroes vs. Duel of the Fates

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

General Kenobl
Which of the two classic Star Wars themes are better?

Battle of the Heroes

Duel of the Fates

Blaxican
DoF

darthsith19
Probably DoF but that's a hard one, imo those are the 2 best songs in Star Wars.

Rampant ox
Battle Of The Heroes. It has more significance on the saga than DoF.

Marxman
DoF is so much more bad ass. especially that scene when Maul turns on his lightsaber staff and it being the first time we see something like that.

Rampant ox
No Way. When Obi-Wan ignites his lightsaber on Mustafar and then Anakin does that huge backflip over to him - that is awesome. The world has been waiting 30 odd years for that scene, and I think the music compliments it perfectly.

Darth Subjekt
Absolutely, Battle of the Heros is by far the better musical masterpiece. To me, Duel of the Fates is cheesy and like Williams was trying to hard to make it "that song", ya know? Besides, everytime i hear it, all I think about is Jar Jar swimming in that dumbass video they managed to get on to Mtv. ROTS had the best music by far, although I believe the best piece is The Imperial March, which is really tied with the Emperor's Theme, both which are heard in ROTS (right?). Padme's track, when Anakin is waiting in the Council Room, is also at the top, and the Order 66 music was powerful enough to make my throat lump up. BoH was extremely powerful and moving, and was the perfect fit for any musical peice to be added to a lightsaber duel.

Marxman
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
Absolutely, Battle of the Heros is by far the better musical masterpiece. To me, Duel of the Fates is cheesy and like Williams was trying to hard to make it "that song", ya know? Besides, everytime i hear it, all I think about is Jar Jar swimming in that dumbass video they managed to get on to Mtv. ROTS had the best music by far, although I believe the best piece is The Imperial March, which is really tied with the Emperor's Theme, both which are heard in ROTS (right?). Padme's track, when Anakin is waiting in the Council Room, is also at the top, and the Order 66 music was powerful enough to make my throat lump up. BoH was extremely powerful and moving, and was the perfect fit for any musical peice to be added to a lightsaber duel.

I think you're going a little too far calling it cheesy. How can you not get goose bumps when Maul, one of the most bad ass looking character in all of Star Wars challenges two of the best good guys in the Saga. That choir starts singing and it just has a dramatic feeling to it.

Cheesy? Definitely not. Did he use that Georgian-chant feel with his choir? Yea but its something that has been proven as something that invokes emotion.

With that I'm not saying BoH is shit. I loved it. Maybe I think this way one because Episode III got played out for me since it came on HBO like ALL THE TIME this past summer and when nothing was on I'd just get stoned and watch it.

Darth Sexy
BOH is the second most significant battle in the Star Wars Saga right behind Luke vs. Vader on the death star. And it's suspense is beyond DOF.

Darth Subjekt
Originally posted by Marxman
I think you're going a little too far calling it cheesy. How can you not get goose bumps when Maul, one of the most bad ass looking character in all of Star Wars challenges two of the best good guys in the Saga. That choir starts singing and it just has a dramatic feeling to it.

Cheesy? Definitely not. Did he use that Georgian-chant feel with his choir? Yea but its something that has been proven as something that invokes emotion.

With that I'm not saying BoH is shit. I loved it. Maybe I think this way one because Episode III got played out for me since it came on HBO like ALL THE TIME this past summer and when nothing was on I'd just get stoned and watch it.

Here is where we obviously have a matter of taste. To me, DoF was to the OT music, what the PT was to the OT. It was too over the top, with the essence of too much wasted effort. It was like TRYING to make it great when, to me, BoH just takes it where DoF tried. It's not cheesy just due to the choir (although it was too much), being that even Padme's song and BoH had "voices" in it, but to me it didn't feel like Star Wars. It wasn't cheesy overall, just in comparison to the other Star Wars songs, imo.

BoH just seems to be able to tell a story without words and/or pictures. It's more heart felt and gives lead to the most epic duel in the saga. I say epic because it's been virtually 30 years in the making and the culmination of everything up to that point. DoF was just a way to try to reintroduce the saga to new fans, and while it served that purpose, left a lot to be desired for alot of SW fans.

As far as seeing Maul...big deal. That didn't add anything to the music, just like the music didn't add anything to Maul. Look, I'm not trying to sway anyones opinion here, and if you like DoF better, hey more power to ya, however, I feel that BoH was better.

It's all a matter of taste like I said before.

Kadesh
The music when luke fought vader on the death star is much better than these 2 music

General Kenobl
Duel of the Fates:

- Great driving orchestra
- Rousing Choir (singing in Sanskrit smile
- Awesome crescendos, especially the middle climatic part
- More dark

Battle of the Heroes:

- Epic in scale
- Stirring Choir
- Good use of the brass (trumpets) instruments we typically hear of John Williams
- Impressive ending

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.