Best three albums of 2006

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Victor Von Doom
Top ten is too easy, and generally contains mediocre records.

So, what were your top three albums of the year?

I will begin:

1) Ys by Joanna Newsom
2) 10,000 Days by Tool
3) The Eraser by Thom Yorke

-hh-
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Top ten is too easy, and generally contains mediocre records.

So, what were your top three albums of the year?

I will begin:

1) Ys by Joanna Newsom
2) 10,000 Days by Tool
3) The Eraser by Thom Yorke

1. Lupe Fiasco- Food & Liquor
2. CunninLynguists- A Piece of Strange
3. The Roots- Game Theory

lorddreamer
Food and liquor - Lupe Fiasco
Hip Hop is Dead - Nas
Once Again - John Legend

Haven't gotten my hands on that Roots ish yet though...

-hh-
Originally posted by lorddreamer
Food and liquor - Lupe Fiasco
Hip Hop is Dead - Nas
Once Again - John Legend

Haven't gotten my hands on that Roots ish yet though... the new Roots is incredible. i highly recommend it.

manorastroman
rather ripped - sonic youth
return to the sea - islands
boys and girls in america - hold steady

The Core
1) Hatebreed - "Supremacy"
2) Gnarls Barkley - "St. Elsewhere"
3) Protest the Hero - "Kezia"

..and I'll go on record as saying that Gnarls Barkley made one of the most important albums not only of the year, but of all time.

RedAlertv2
1) Protest the Hero - Kezia
2) Tool - 10,000 Days
3) The Bouncing Souls - The Gold Record

Solo
Liars - Drum's Not Dead
Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass
be your own PET - be your own PET

Blue_Hefner
K-fed
Ron Artest
Fergie

manorastroman
i would like to go on record and say that most of st elsewhere is distinctly mediocre.

solo, did you really like the new yo la tengo that much? it was good, but...top three?

Solo
Originally posted by manorastroman
i would like to go on record and say that most of st elsewhere is distinctly mediocre.
Agreed, although, Crazy was by far the best single of the year.

solo, did you really like the new yo la tengo that much? it was good, but...top three?
Yeah, I thought it was excellent. You have a top three?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
It's tough to choose only three as this has been a really good year for music. I really liked Audioslave's Revelations, Jay-Z's Kingdom Come, Pearl Jam's Pearl Jam, G. Love's Lemonade, Amos Lee's Supply And Demand, and Gnarls Barkley's St. Elsewhere. However, if I must only choose three, then these be them:

1) Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers
2) The Eraser - Thom Yorke
3) Once Again - John Legend

Originally posted by The Core

..and I'll go on record as saying that Gnarls Barkley made one of the most important albums not only of the year, but of all time.

It's a good record, but how is it one of the most important of all time if it is still poorer than Hatebreed's 'Supremacy'?

What?

ElectricBugaloo
No particular order:

a) Ghostface Killah - FishScale
2) TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
iii) M Ward - Post War

The Core

Noted, as it's your opinion, but it's a very, very important album, genius in parts, and wholly original.

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

It's a good record, but how is it one of the most important of all time if it is still poorer than Hatebreed's 'Supremacy'?

What?

My picks aren't in any order, and I'm more of a Hatebreed fan than Gnarls Barkley, namely due to over-exposure.

StinkFist462
1) The Beatles : LOVE
2) TV On The Radio : Return to Cookie Mountain
3) Muse : Black Holes & Revelations

Deathblow
1. Tool - 10,000 Days
2. Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist
3. Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor

Honorable mentions for Gym Class Heroes, 36CF and Gnarls Barkley.

Bardock42

1) Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers
3) Once Again - John Legend

Why do you hate Audioslave, Floo?

1) Ringleader of The Tormentors - Morrissey
3) Peeping Tom - Peeping Tom

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Bardock42
Why do you hate Audioslave, Floo?

I f*cking love Audioslave, dude! I f*cking love them! Like they're my brothers, dude! They're my f*cking brothers, and they totally rock, man. Like totally.

(I was only allowed to pick 3 albums, so Revelations got pushed to fourth place on the basis that I already had a rock album in my top 3. Variety being the feeling you get when your balls are being cupped as you go doggy-style with your girl and all...)

~Da Rev~
10,000 Days - Tool
Peeping Tom - Peeping Tom
Incubus - Light Grenades

In Fate's Hands
RHCP- Stadium Arcadium
Gym Class Heroes- As Cruel As School Children
Incubus-Light Grenades

lorddreamer

Heard that Elsewhere is really inconsistant, some of the songs are superhot, but some suck... Same with StadiumArcadium

The Core
Albums that are consistant are boring. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. RHCP, like I said, have been doing the same album for the past decade. Gnarls Barkley are creative, and when your influences are the Violent Femmes and Afrika Bambaataa, it's to be expected.

Dr. Strangelove
Tool- 10,000 days
CunninLynguists- A Piece of Strange
Isis- In the absence of truth

Honorable mentions: Mastodon, Gnarls Barkley, and JMT.

Skeets
1. Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers
2. Tool - 10,000 Days
3.Lupe Fiasco- Food & Liquor

Lana
Tool -- 10,000 Days
Audioslave -- Revelations
Incubus -- Light Grenades

SnakeEyes
Audioslave - Revelations

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations

lorddreamer
Albums that are consistant are boring. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. RHCP, like I said, have been doing the same album for the past decade. Gnarls Barkley are creative, and when your influences are the Violent Femmes and Afrika Bambaataa, it's to be expected.

nonono, by inconsisten I wasnt referring to the musical style. Hell, my fav modern singer is John Legend! Go listen to Lifted then Once Again!!
By inconsisten I was reffering to them having a really hot song then a super wack song back to back. And Im too lazy these days to go buy Arcadium. rolling on floor laughing

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Heard that Elsewhere is really inconsistant, some of the songs are superhot, but some suck... Same with StadiumArcadium

Instead of hearing what other people say about the albums, why don't you just hear the albums?

As for Stadium Arcadium, the majority of the songs are hot like a hot ass (female).

As for John Legend's Once Again, it's so hot it actually helped me recently get some hot ass (female). PDA (We Don't Care), Save Room and Heaven helped in particular.

The Core
nonono, by inconsisten I wasnt referring to the musical style. Hell, my fav modern singer is John Legend! Go listen to Lifted then Once Again!!
By inconsisten I was reffering to them having a really hot song then a super wack song back to back. And Im too lazy these days to go buy Arcadium. rolling on floor laughing

I've listened to "St. Elsewhere" literally 100 times or more, usually continiously, and sometimes not by choice. That said, the only point in the album that would suggest any inconsistancy would be 11)Necromancer and 12)Online. Those two tracks don't do a lot for me. It picks right back up, though.

Bardiel13
The only good album I've heard that's from this year is Amon Amarth's With Oden on Our Side. It was a death metal masterpiece.

lorddreamer
Instead of hearing what other people say about the albums, why don't you just hear the albums?

As for Stadium Arcadium, the majority of the songs are hot like a hot ass (female).

As for John Legend's Once Again, it's so hot it actually helped me recently get some hot ass (female). PDA (We Don't Care), Save Room and Heaven helped in particular.

Actually, I normally do listen to the albums, those specific albums I just havent gotten a chance to hear, and I refuse to go out of my way to download them.

Yea, Once Again is easily the best babe getter in the recent years. Another Again, Heaven and PDA are my favourites. Save Room is up there too, but before copping the album, I listenend to it over a thoussand times, so its kind of dead to me for the time being sad

Funkadelic
3121 - Prince

Blackholes & Revelations - Muse

Once again - John Legend

lorddreamer
Originally posted by Funkadelic
3121 - Prince

Blackholes & Revelations - Muse

Once again - John Legend
isnt 3121 of like 2 years ago? either way, I kinda enjoyed it.

I think Once Again is noncontested as the best R&B album this year. Anyone disagree?

Funkadelic
isnt 3121 of like 2 years ago? either way, I kinda enjoyed it.

I think Once Again is noncontested as the best R&B album this year. Anyone disagree?

3121 was released in march 2006.

I agree

Another great album was:

http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/upload/stelsewhere300.jpg

Alpha Centauri
10,000 Days by Tool.
The Eraser by Thom Yorke.
The Adversary by Ihsahn.

-AC

vanice
check this out: http://www.svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=32529&a=728213&lid=puff_728223&lpos=extra_0

this is a top 50 list of albums released in 2006. It's made by a Swedish music program. the site is Swedish of course but it won't be a problem reading the list anyway.
It's a quite interesting list. Especially the choice of "TV On The Radio" as number one. Some of those you have mentioned are in "good" places. like Gnarls being number eight. Tool on the other hand isn't even on the list... wink

manorastroman
ah jeez, i forgot about midlake.

trials of van occupanther - midlake

sorry craig finn. you shoulda made boys and girls as good as separation sunday.

Bardock42
I wonder if Jarvis is good.

lorddreamer
jarvis the singer? Who's first ever single was radio??

Bardock42
jarvis the singer? Who's first ever single was radio??

I meant the Album. Though the singer is called Jarvis as well. And I am not aware of any single called Radio.

Dusty
The absolute best is Bob Dylan's "Modern Times". Such an amazing CD.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Dusty
The absolute best is Bob Dylan's "Modern Times". Such an amazing CD.

I still need it. A lot.

§P0oONY
10,000 Days - Tool
St. Elsewhere - Gnarls Barkley
Black Holes and Revelations - Muse

Dusty
I still need it. A lot.

That you do, my friend. That you do.

lorddreamer
I meant the Album. Though the singer is called Jarvis as well. And I am not aware of any single called Radio.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8EZGgA01LsI

Solo
trials of van occupanther - midlake

sorry craig finn. you shoulda made boys and girls as good as separation sunday.
Very nice. thumb up I'm glad there's someone else who didn't like The Hold Steady's new album all that much. I love Islands, totally forgot about them.

Gonna have to change my list a bit:

Liars: Drum's Not Dead
Gnarls Barkley: St. Elsewhere
Islands: Return to the Sea

tabby999
not in any particular order but;

Alexisonfire - Crisis (heartfelt)
Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies (brutal)
Frenzal Rhomb - Forever Malcolm Young (ball tearer)

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Eh, yo! Last week, I didn't even know it was out, but K-OS' Atlantis: Hymns For Disco is definitely one of the hottest joints from last year. They've got so much talent and funk, but I'm just slightly worried they could eventually do a Black Eyed Peas. I hope not, dear lord Buddha.

taste_u
scott walker - the drift

manorastroman
i deeply prefer scott walker's pop stuff from the late sixties. all this ambient musique concrete stuff just doesn't hit me.

taste_u
Originally posted by taste_u
scott walker - the drift

fuk u for not havin the ball's 2 apreshi8 genius

ElectricBugaloo
My brother just bought and burned for me (well, actually I just put it on my jump drive and put it on my computer...) the new Tom Waits triple album.

This is seriously one of the best albums I have ever heard. Though Tom Waits is a bit of an acquired taste...

Three other looked-over albums:

M Ward - Post War
Well, this one was actually on some critics' top 10 lists, but I still consider it a bit overlooked.

Pigeon John - ... And The Summertime Pool Party
I love Pigeon John. That is all.

Murs and 9th Wonder - Murray's Revenge
Not as good as Murs 3:16, but that was a classic album. Still, very, very good.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.