Characterization vs 'Badass' Moments.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Prof S.T.I.
Characterization vs 'Badass' Moments.

Yeah i know this was on the vs forum and is a bit lame, but people on here are a little bit more intelligent !

The two of the most popular events of the year have been Annihilation and Justice, both of which contain numerous awe inspiring moments. Now if anyone reads Joe Q's interviews on Newsrama, you'll see that he believes Marvels success is down to their superior characterization based on flawed personalities. So what do you prefer the more intricate character development of Brian Bendis, Brian K Vaughn and Joss Wheldon, or stories involving badass moments, traditionally seen in stories created by the likes of Geoff Johns , Grant Morison and Mark Millar.

Beta Ray Howard
I like a good mix of both, and it seems that Whedon and Millar are pretty good at providing them at the same time. Oeming is excellent at it.

Scoobless
I like characterisation moments better.... but you still need the bad-ass scenes every now and again.

I really liked the comics after Pete Parker's aunt found out he was Spider-Man and he was struggling with how to tell her about his life.

batdude123
If I didn't belong to this forum, I wouldn't at all care about scanning through a comic for feats. erm I use to look at a story specifically for the story... and then I found out about tournies and respect threads.

Prof S.T.I.
Originally posted by batdude123
If I didn't belong to this forum, I wouldn't at all care about scanning through a comic for feats. erm I use to look at a story specifically for the story... and then I found out about tournies and respect threads.

Badass moments don't always involve feats, infact most of the best ones dont. If you want clarification on what i mean by 'Badass', look at the 'Holy Shit moments' thread.

batdude123
Originally posted by Prof S.T.I.
Badass moments don't always involve feats, infact most of the best ones dont. If you want clarification on what i mean by 'Badass', look at the 'Holy Shit moments' thread.

In that case.... then probably a good mixture of both. Though if I had my druthers, I'd probably pick good characterization.... however, some badass moments are a must.

Mindship
Having both is best (the better the characterization, the better the badass moments)...but if I had to choose, I pick characterization. Seems to me, characterization ---> realism, whereas badass moments often ---> one-upmanship ---> PIS.

Weyoun
Originally posted by Mindship
Having both is best (the better the characterization, the better the badass moments)...but if I had to choose, I pick characterization. Seems to me, characterization ---> realism, whereas badass moments often ---> one-upmanship ---> PIS.

That's a very sensible opinion.

Lucid Lui
Originally posted by batdude123
If I didn't belong to this forum, I wouldn't at all care about scanning through a comic for feats. erm I use to look at a story specifically for the story... and then I found out about tournies and respect threads. Yeah i'm right there with you.

Like a recent Aquaman issue, his abilities were underplayed, and because of that i initially had a bad opinion of the issue. But it's actually a good, entertaining issue. That's one of the downsides of these boards do to a person.

On topic, i'm going with the general consensus. Character moments are more important, but it's best have a good mix of both.

Mindship
Originally posted by Weyoun
That's a very sensible opinion. <--- now and then, has a sensible moment.

Lucid Lui
Crystal Ball does?

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Mindship

Agreed. thumb up

Grimm22
There's a reason why Astonishing X-men is one of the best books ever and Wolverine's book is usually boring as hell no expression

"V"
Originally posted by Grimm22
There's a reason why Astonishing X-men is one of the best books ever and Wolverine's book is usually boring as hell no expression

Because Dan Slott wrote it? Because No-one bought it?

Oh no, that was Thing.

Characterization in the long run is good, like Bendis' Daredevil is legendary now. But moments like Hal Jordan breaking Sinestro's neck and other badass moments go down pretty well aswell.

Got da virus
Originally posted by "V"
Because Dan Slott wrote it? Because No-one bought it?

Oh no, that was Thing.

Characterization in the long run is good, like Bendis' Daredevil is legendary now. But moments like Hal Jordan breaking Sinestro's neck and other Bad ass moments go down pretty well aswell.

Characterisation is overrated IMO, good story telling, with the occasional Bad ass moment does it for me. Greg Rucka and Bendis are famous for there characterisations, but some of there work is seriously lame. Morrison and Millar get away with Awe inspiring plot lines and scenariosq and although true to the characters, they rarely attempt to develop personalities.

DigiMark007
Sometimes I'd rather have more "sweet moments". For example, I love Spider-Man (obviously). And I have a subscription to ASM. But for the most part, it's bogged down with so much character-related stuff that Spidey feels like he's playing 2nd fiddle to the Peter Parker Soap Opera.

I love the character, so I don't mind. But I could do with a little less occasionally.

You need a balance, regardless of which is supposedly the "strong point" of the characters.

Lucid Lui
Bendis' Daredevil was filled with badass moments. Generally badass because of the characterization. That's when it works best.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
Bendis' Daredevil was filled with badass moments. Generally badass because of the characterization. That's when it works best.

Agreed. DD's a great title right now for Marvel.

Scoobless
I have never bought a DareDevil comic (or read one either)

"V"
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Agreed. DD's a great title right now for Marvel.

Brubaker is indeed (IMO) Marvel's best writer at the moment, definetly the most consistent. He's got Captain America, Daredevil & Iron Fist under his belt atm and they are all written great.

Got da virus
Originally posted by Lucid Lui

Yeah its a lot easier to do with Flawed human level characters, Its especially hard with Godlike ones such as Thor, Superman and Silver Surfer.

Beta Ray Howard
Yeah, the problem with godlike characters is sometimes they will develop a Jesus complex. Thor did, Surfer did, I think, and Superman has.

batdude123
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Sometimes I'd rather have more "sweet moments". For example, I love Spider-Man (obviously). And I have a subscription to ASM. But for the most part, it's bogged down with so much character-related stuff that Spidey feels like he's playing 2nd fiddle to the Peter Parker Soap Opera.

I love the character, so I don't mind. But I could do with a little less occasionally.

You need a balance, regardless of which is supposedly the "strong point" of the characters.

I actually think ASM is excellent....

Peter's personality really shines in that series.

DarkCrawler
Characterization. I usually enjoy discussions between two characters more then fights.

Though comics would not be comics without a badass moment once and for while...

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by Got da virus
Yeah its a lot easier to do with Flawed human level characters, Its especially hard with Godlike ones such as Thor, Superman and Silver Surfer.

But when they do get the godlike one's characerization right...it's more badass then anything. yes

Lucid Lui
Cable in the Burnt Offering arc is a good example of great characterization on uber-powered characters. The interview pages were by far the most interesting part of those issues cause they just immersed you into his mindset.

willRules
Originally posted by Scoobless
I have never bought a DareDevil comic (or read one either)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daredevil:_Guardian_Devil

Here is a good place to start, I highly recommend this trade paperback. Great art, great storyline and has such a decent ending with a great twist with the surprise villain a fantastic discussion between Daredevil and Spidey at the end of the storyline yes Highly recommended.

Ichigo66666
I'm picking up all of Daredevil Vol. 1 and 2 and some annuals, hopefully.

willRules
yeah vol2 is quite good. First appearance of Maya Lopez aka Echo thumb up But I prefer vol 1. It's just such a nice storyline yes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.