Letters From Iwo Jima

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
When is the wide release coming?
It's already scored Best Picture Awards from a couple of critics groups, and it's still just in two theatres in New York and Los Angeles. What's the holdup?

buddha1822
It was supposed to come out mid-February. They bumped it pre-2007 for a December 20th release just so it could get into the Oscars, but that's only in NY/LA as you said.

I confirmed with WB that the actual regular release won't likely be until February sometime... so unfortunately a while to wait. The worst part is it's a damn good movie, much better than Flags of our Fathers, and together with both of them, they present a more complete vision. I gained more appreciation for Flags after seeing this.

I hate to self promo, but here's my review if you want to read: http://www.firstshowing.net/2006/12/26/letters-from-iwo-jima-review/

In general: yes, go see it in February. big grin

jaden101
yeah i heard this is meant to be considerably better than flags of our fathers...initially it wasn't even getting a general western release but because of the good reviews they changed their minds

i think the oscars may be between this and babel...

roughrider
Waiting until February for a wide release - this is definitely going to affect it's Oscar chances. People need to start seeing it now, get the buzz going.

zombieman
I'm really looking forward to this. Flags of Our Fathers is one of the best war films i've seen this decade. It was powerful and moving without glorifying the americans part in the war. It wasn't terribly well recieved over here in the UK which is a shame. Did it do well in the U.S?

roughrider
Originally posted by zombieman
I'm really looking forward to this. Flags of Our Fathers is one of the best war films i've seen this decade. It was powerful and moving without glorifying the americans part in the war. It wasn't terribly well recieved over here in the UK which is a shame. Did it do well in the U.S?

Actually it did mediocre business, with only generally good reviews. Critics were saying Eastwood doesn't have the kinetic gift for action like Spielberg showed in Saving Private Ryan, and perhaps Iraq is sitting so heavy in the air that people thought it was more propaganda in the advertising, despite what the film is really like.

Solo
Originally posted by buddha1822
I hate to self promo, but here's my review if you want to read: http://www.firstshowing.net/2006/12/26/letters-from-iwo-jima-review/
You'd hate to self promote? Look at your ****ing signature.

I'm not looking forward to Letters from Iwo Jima, I'll wait for the DVD. It looks like typical Oscar bait. Just like Million Dollar Baby, what shit that was.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Hello out there. I've seen Letters from Iwo Jima. I liked it so very much. I don't think it is going to widely released. Really doesn't make sense. I believe that Clint Eastwood and Ken Watanabe will be nominated and should take home oscars with the greatest of ease.

roughrider
Originally posted by LORDSIDIOUS01
Hello out there. I've seen Letters from Iwo Jima. I liked it so very much. I don't think it is going to widely released. Really doesn't make sense. I believe that Clint Eastwood and Ken Watanabe will be nominated and should take home oscars with the greatest of ease.

Why doesn't it make sense? Clint Eastwood films are a draw, even when he's directing only.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Clint Eastwood is one the best directors out there.

Solo
Originally posted by LORDSIDIOUS01
Clint Eastwood is one the best directors out there.
LOLZZZZZZ

zombieman
I wouldn't go as far as calling him one of the best, but I do think he knows what hes doing. I think he is very influenced by Don Siegel.

Solo
I think he is very influenced by Don Siegel.
It definitely shows in his work.

roughrider
It quietly opened in one theatre in Toronto last Friday, catching me by surprise. I got into a crammed evening screening, and was very impressed. While Flags Of Our Fathers sprawled too much with some confusing transitions, LFIJ is very tightly focused and atmospheric. It does deserve comparison with All Quiet On The Western Front. Though no characters cross over between the two films, I was glad I saw FOOF first - just days earlier, actually.

Bain

Not sure offhand, but I saw it and I loved it.

Its a really good movie and a different angle. I am a huge military enthusiast and WW2 student.

Definately something every fan should watch.

JuliaCortazar
Originally posted by roughrider
It quietly opened in one theatre in Toronto last Friday, catching me by surprise. I got into a crammed evening screening, and was very impressed. While Flags Of Our Fathers sprawled too much with some confusing transitions, LFIJ is very tightly focused and atmospheric. It does deserve comparison with All Quiet On The Western Front. Though no characters cross over between the two films, I was glad I saw FOOF first - just days earlier, actually.

Would you suggest that people see Flags of Our Fathers before Iwo Jima, then? Or does Iwo Jima stand well by itself?

roughrider
Originally posted by JuliaCortazar
Would you suggest that people see Flags of Our Fathers before Iwo Jima, then? Or does Iwo Jima stand well by itself?

Both films stand on their own; there is no crossover characters between the two. But, see both for a complete experience.

JuliaCortazar
Originally posted by roughrider
Both films stand on their own; there is no crossover characters between the two. But, see both for a complete experience.

Thanks. I've yet to see Flags, but I did see Letters and liked it a lot.

roughrider
A summary of the film, with awards to date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letters_from_iwo_jima

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.