Oldest War in Humanity?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Archeology discovery!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070103/sc_afp/syriaarchaeology_070103191556

Thorinn
Cool.

2,300 balls of stone and burning clay. I don't think those guys were playing around.

Barker
Originally posted by Thorinn
Cool.

2,300 balls of stone and burning clay. I don't think those guys were playing around.
no expression lol

Thorinn
Yeah, I lol'd too.

Alliance
Its cool, but I doubt it was the first war. First evidence of war.

Marxman
Originally posted by Alliance
Its cool, but I doubt it was the first war. First evidence of war.

Yea, especially since they've dated it only 6000 years ago. I find it hard to believe that the first conflict between humans was that recent.

Captain REX
Well, that'd put it at 4000 BC, I think. Not really much to fight over in full-scale war when you're nomadic, prior to all the civilizations and such.

Fishy
Originally posted by Captain REX
Well, that'd put it at 4000 BC, I think. Not really much to fight over in full-scale war when you're nomadic, prior to all the civilizations and such.

You would need more land to stop being nomads though

Fire
first the article yaps about the 'bullets' in the 4th century BC then it mentions the war in the 4th Millennium BC. Somebody messed up :d

Nellinator
Originally posted by Fire
first the article yaps about the 'bullets' in the 4th century BC then it mentions the war in the 4th Millennium BC. Somebody messed up :d That's what I was thinking.

WrathfulDwarf
I wonder what were they trying to conquer. hmm

Aliies
nice subject Dwarf big grin

But I agree on the fact that this would not have been man's first engaement with one another, poeple have been beating other people with rock and sticks for ages beyond, I think this might've been the first engagement that involed two banded forces, whilst all other ones just tribal disputes.

But burning clay and a hailstorm of rocks? these guys WERE serious.

And what's with the 4th century AD typo on the article? aren't we talking about 4th Millenia BC ?

KingTut
War:

"A state of armed conflict between two or more groups."

Therefore, cavemen could have wars, and it would be impossible to prove they didn't. This can't be "The First War in Humanity."

Fishy
Originally posted by KingTut
War:

"A state of armed conflict between two or more groups."

Therefore, cavemen could have wars, and it would be impossible to prove they didn't. This can't be "The First War in Humanity."

It can still be the first known war in history....

KingTut
Originally posted by Fishy
It can still be the first known war in history....

True, but it's an irrelevant title.

Fishy
True, but it's an irrelevant title.

Depends, I think it's quite nice to know shit like this.

There is of course also a huge difference between two neighbors throwing sticks and two community's that could possibly pass as country's or something similar sending entire army's to the field and using all kinds of weapons to destroy the other side.

KingTut
Originally posted by Fishy
Depends, I think it's quite nice to know shit like this.

There is of course also a huge difference between two neighbors throwing sticks and two community's that could possibly pass as country's or something similar sending entire army's to the field and using all kinds of weapons to destroy the other side.

Yes there is.

The problem is that the transformation from caveman warfare to full-scale warfare between two empires is a gradual process. Imagine that we knew every armed conflict that counted as a "war" (that's one hell of a lot of information.) How would we decide which one was the first full-scale war?

Fishy
Yes there is.

The problem is that the transformation from caveman warfare to full-scale warfare between two empires is a gradual process. Imagine that we knew every armed conflict that counted as a "war" (that's one hell of a lot of information.) How would we decide which one was the first full-scale war?

That is true, this wasn't the first conflict but it's the first proof we have a large scale war and it likely wasn't the first large war either but it's still pretty cool to know.

Council#13
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Archeology discovery!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070103/sc_afp/syriaarchaeology_070103191556

Oh, that is awesome! eek!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.