The Good Ship Norribeth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Surreal_44
Yes, this is the Good Ship Norribeth.

Norrington and Elizabeth should end up together. More on why later. big grin Feel free to angrily dispute my claim.

Mistypirate
LOL Jack the monkey and Elizabeth have more chances of ending together.

Barker
Originally posted by Mistypirate
LOL Jack the monkey and Elizabeth have more chances of ending together.
Negative.

Mistypirate
Originally posted by Barker
Negative.

Ignore

Barker
Ignore
It was your last comment that was stupid, not mine.

Chiki Mina
Barker. Don't you have better things to do other than stalking us.

Barker
Originally posted by Chiki Mina
Barker. Don't you have better things to do other than stalking us.
laughing out loud

I have just as much right to post as you do. It's not my fault you all don't like me.

Chiki Mina
It's not our fault that you're an ass. So quit bothering us.

All your posts are always negative, and you are always trying to start an argument.

Mistypirate
You seem to have frigging issues. May I suggest a psychologist? You stupid dumb A$$. You really like to start crap, boy I see you have problems with the world. Go out meet some friends, because it doesn't look that you have any.

Barker
I like to speak my mind. You're all biased against me because I disagree with you.

And I see don't see how you get me having no friends from you POTC freaks not liking me. smile

Mistypirate
laughing out loud

I have just as much right to post as you do. It's not my fault you all don't like me.

We don't like you because you like to start $hit. Its a shame kid.
Anyways the person that posted the thread clearly said My post was intended as a joke, I know that Liz ending with the monkey is not going to happen. So kid get a life and change your antisocial behavior.

Mistypirate
I like to speak my mind. You're all biased against me because I disagree with you.

And I see don't see how you get me having no friends from you POTC freaks not liking me. smile

WRONG....we are not biased against people that disagree or don't have the same opinion.
We are biased against people that like to start crap by insulting or calling each other names, you were the first that started it, you called me stupid. Therefore I'm not going to stay here with my arms cross I'm going to backfire back.

Chiki Mina

Can you try speaking in english?

And negative You're wrong. You always make posts that insult us. You always start by making a rude comment. What do you expect from our reaction?

Surreal_44
Hi everyone! While I did say angrily dispute my claim, I didn't think it involved a near-flame war. Please, if you are going to argue, at least chuck in an Norribeth idea or argument.

Thankies. big grin

Er, Norribeth rules and all that good stuff.

Mistypirate
Exactly so go away....... wink and stop converting threads in to battle fields
Anyways back on topic, I think that the monkey has better chances than Norrington. wink

Barker
Can you try speaking in english?

And negative You're wrong. You always make posts that insult us. You always start by making a rude comment. What do you expect from our reaction?
That was english. Can you try reading english? smile

Insult? No. I've already said that I type what I think. And I think you're blowing this way out of proportion.
WRONG....we are not biased against people that disagree or don't have the same opinion.
We are biased against people that like to start crap by insulting or calling each other names, you were the first that started it, you called me stupid. Therefore I'm not going to stay here with my arms cross I'm going to backfire back.
I actually don't recall calling you stupid. But If I did, and you quoted it, I'd probably laugh anyway, so don't bother.

The fact is, I'm not trying to insult anyone. Unless it's calling you stupid weeks ago.

Mistypirate
Bull Crap=IGNORE

Chiki Mina
YOu don't try to insult, you just insult. How about you try to be nice for a change. I'm tired of you coming and give a random post that involves something offensive or stupid.

Mistypirate
Ignore, wink So what do you think of the Norribeth ship?

Barker
So basically, if I don't want you guys (Girls?) screeching at me every time I post, I need to either do it like you guys (Girls?) do - LOLOMG LETS MEAK JONNY DEP A SHEEP ND MAKE HIM R MASCOT CUZ HES IN DA MOOOVIES!11111- or say what I say in a nicer fashion?

Chiki Mina
**** OFF I HAD IT EITH YOU YOU DUMB PEICE OF ****

IF YOU HATE US LEAVE US THE **** ALONE.

YOU ****ING HAVE AN OBSESSION IN MAKING US IRRITATED. WELL YOU GOT ME IRRITATED ALREADY!! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW??!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! YOU PISSED ME OFF!! NOW CAN YOU LEAVE?

Surreal_44
I'd be willing to consider the monkey and Elizabeth, and hey! It's a J/E thingie, so that makes me a J/E shipper! Never thought you'd see the day, did you? laughing laughing laughing

Anyway, back on subject, Norrington is Elizabeth's intellectual equal. Woot!

Mistypirate
Originally posted by Surreal_44
I'd be willing to consider the monkey and Elizabeth, and hey! It's a J/E thingie, so that makes me a J/E shipper! Never thought you'd see the day, did you? laughing laughing laughing

Anyway, back on subject, Norrington is Elizabeth's intellectual equal. Woot!

LMAO I had my doubts No never. laughing out loud

Barker
**** OFF I HAD IT EITH YOU YOU DUMB PEICE OF ****

IF YOU HATE US LEAVE US THE **** ALONE.

YOU ****ING HAVE AN OBSESSION IN MAKING US IRRITATED. WELL YOU GOT ME IRRITATED ALREADY!! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW??!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! YOU PISSED ME OFF!! NOW CAN YOU LEAVE?
laughing

Anyway, thread maker asked me to take the flame war elsewhere or to toss in something about Norribeth. Maybe you all can learn something from a little maturity? Anyway:

Norribeth isn't likely to happen, but it is most definitely more possible than Elizabeth mating with a Monkey.

Chiki Mina
Go away.

I don't want you in this ****ing forum

Mistypirate
He thinks he is a smart a$$. Remember Mina Bull-$hit=IGNORE

I disagree on that, Jack seems to be pretty intellectual as well, I must say that he is equally or perhaps more than Norrigton. In those days to be Captain of a ship you had to be pretty intellectual.

Barker
Honestly. It's not like I'm going to listen to you, so why take the time to type it?

The thread isn't about our little disagreement. It's about the possibility of Elizabeth and Norrington hooking up. smile

sailorleo
yes it is actually! woo! i thought i was going crazy....

Mistypirate
Thank you Sailor, but I must say that I am way pass 15, probably older than you. wink

sailorleo
Thank you Sailor, but I must say that I am way pass 15, probably older than you. wink before anyone freaks out, i know what she means...and yes actually your are older than me by six yrs....and anyhow the average age is like 15 here

Chiki Mina
He just has nothing else to do.

Maybe try masterbating, but his first challenge is to find his dick.

Mistypirate
I say the average here is 13. smile Anyways the kid is only 16, so lets just ignore him.

sailorleo
I say the average here is 13. smile Anyways the kid is only 16, so lets just ignore him. wow, really? seemed older to me....

Chiki Mina
16?

more like negative 16.

Mistypirate
Originally posted by sailorleo
wow, really? seemed older to me....

Yes we have a lot of 12 and 13 yr old girls here, they seem so mature.... The way they express themselves.

Mistypirate
16?

more like negative 16.

for Barker negative.

willofthewisp
I'm going to be really risky here and say that I think Will is also Liz's equal in intelligence. He's not an idiot, and he catches things other people don't. He picks up on things and adapts quickly, whereas Norrington can't adapt which has led him to be a backstabbing alcoholic.

Chiki Mina
No, you're right.

Now Liz reached to Jack's intelligence.

But Jack is always like 10 steps ahead of her. No matter what kind of trap she does to him, he always seem to win.

Like in the kraken, after she tied him up. She thought she won over the temptation, when it all really back fired. And Jack won with a smile.

Barker
He just has nothing else to do.

Maybe try masterbating, but his first challenge is to find his dick.
Seriously. Why moan about me starting things, when you're just as eager to draw them out? I've already stopped bashing. smile

Anyway, back to Norribeth. smile

Chiki Mina
You know, Barker can post crap about me all he wants. I have him on ignore list so I can't see his posts lol. I'm going to miss the little needle dick.

Barker
Okay, seriously. Enough is enough. Reported.

Chiki Mina
Is he still here? I think so, I smell garbage.

Mistypirate
You know, Barker can post crap about me all he wants. I have him on ignore list so I can't see his posts lol. I'm going to miss the little needle dick.

rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud

Back on topic, I really don't think that intelligence makes Norrigton and Elizabeth equals. There has to be something else, I'm going to try to put my self in the Norribethers shoes to see why they like this ship so much. And see if I can find the passion and the meaning to it.

willofthewisp
I just fail to see how Norrington deserves Liz more so than someone else, or how he is really a good partner for her. He defines himself so much by his job. I know he cares about her, but I think he would unintentionally smother her.

Barker
You're not making things easy on yourself

Mistypirate
Okay, seriously. Enough is enough. Reported.

I reported you to.

Barker
For?

I called your comment stupid. She attacked my Genitals.

no expression

smile

Chiki Mina
I reported you. So even if I get banned, at least I was the first to report you.

willofthewisp
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm more interested in Surreal's ideas and debating with her like an adult than listening to irrelevant crap. I think Norrie and Liz are ill-matched, for no better reason than she's made it clear she's not interested in him. And he cares about her and wants her to be happy, but I care about my friends and want them to be happy and I don't think I should marry any of them.

Barker
I reported you. So even if I get banned, at least I was the first to report you.
petpet

Now, back to the thread...
Originally posted by willofthewisp
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm more interested in Surreal's ideas and debating with her like an adult than listening to irrelevant crap. I think Norrie and Liz are ill-matched, for no better reason than she's made it clear she's not interested in him. And he cares about her and wants her to be happy, but I care about my friends and want them to be happy and I don't think I should marry any of them.
Good point.

Mistypirate
For?

I called your comment stupid. She attacked my Genitals.

no expression

smile

You seem to forget things really fast, how about your previous post in the "short trailer for AWE in Disney Channel". "bitching and whining"? Now tell me, you are not the one that likes to start crap.

Barker
Well, that's basically what it was. Whining about the commercials. smile

Chiki Mina
he has genitals? lol

Chiki Mina

Sorry, willo. Im trying. I can't think of anything else to debate. Besides Surreal left, I think.

Mistypirate
Well, that's basically what it was. Whining about the commercials. smile

Well you could have used a better word, like " Why are you making such a big deal out of a Disney commercial". You knew that by making that comment you were going to piss a lot of people of. You knew your intentions, and you intended to sizzle things up. Am I not wrong?

And where's Surreal?

Chiki Mina
Alright I got a great idea. Misty, just put him in ignore.

And let's keep debating in an intelligent manner other than debating weather Barker is an ass or a homo.

sailorleo
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm more interested in Surreal's ideas and debating with her like an adult than listening to irrelevant crap. I think Norrie and Liz are ill-matched, for no better reason than she's made it clear she's not interested in him. And he cares about her and wants her to be happy, but I care about my friends and want them to be happy and I don't think I should marry any of them. side's it's sailorleo he's gonna end up with anyway stick out tongue

Mistypirate
Alright I got a great idea. Misty, just put him in ignore.

And let's keep debating in an intelligent manner other than debating weather Barker is an ass or a homo.

I just wanted to get my point across.

Back on topic for the third time:
I just can't see what Elizabeth and Norrigton have in common.
Im with Sailor on this one, Norrigton is going to end up with her. wink

willofthewisp
Okay, let's you and me debate. I'll get your mind on task. laughing Let's take Jack out of the picture, like before Liz met him and think who she would be better of with: Will or Norrie.

Mistypirate
I think Liz would have been better of with Will, IMO it seemed like Liz was tired of leaving such a restraining life. So that makes me think the reason why she would have chosen Will. She just wanted out. Although I believe that Norrie could have offer her everything.

Barker
Well you could have used a better word, like " Why are you making such a big deal out of a Disney commercial". You knew that by making that comment you were going to piss a lot of people of. You knew your intentions, and you intended to sizzle things up. Am I not wrong?
Okay, so I might have been able to word it a little better. No reason to spaz out over my word choice.

But seriously, back to Norribeth. smile

Chiki Mina
Willo, you know everyone is going to say Norrie lol.

So I might get stabbed by this. I think with Will, she has alot more freedom with Will than with Norrington, at that time before she met Jack of course.

sailorleo

Im with Sailor on this one, Norrigton is going to end up with her. wink yay! peace...you so are invited to the sailorleo/jack(norrie) wedding in februaury

PirateDiva

Im with Sailor on this one, Norrigton is going to end up with her. wink

OMG if I thought Will and Liz were boreing.....then Norrington and Liz are like death! Sorry its just sooo true....Norrington treated her like he was her Father....yuck!

But maybe Norrie and Liz in DMC would have been hotter....he was a rebel....but i would still Vote Will/Liz over Norrie/Liz any day!!!

And I still stand... Norrie was way Hotter in DMC....than in COTBP...Im so not looking forward to Norrie going back to the Ice Cream Look in AWE!!!!

Chiki Mina
.......uh..........

willofthewisp
I wouldn't say Norrie was a rebel in DMC, piratediva. I respect that, though. I see him as more spineless in DMC than in COTBP. In COTBP, he was confident, but still nervous when it came to Liz, and he was the only character not doing something for himself. He was out to capture Jack because he thought it was the right thing to do, and he wasn't swayed by Jack or anyone else. He backed out of the Liz's engagement because he decided it wasn't right to marry a girl who didn't love him.
In DMC, he's a complete sell-out, like Beckett's b*tch. He'll do anything for anyone as long as he can get his old life back. He can't adapt and Liz can.

Chiki Mina
He will do what's necessary in order to get his life back on track. And to earn to awards and the name commodore again.

Mistypirate
I love weddings * drinks all around* wink

Ice Cream Look? confused

I wouldn't say that he was a rebel either, he was torn with what happened in the events of COTB, he lost everything because he did not do the "right thing", He let Jack Sparrow go. Therefore that caused him to loose everything. I admire Norrigton because he decided not go forward with the engagement, he though it would be wrong to married a woman who loved some one else. Norrigton really loves Elizabeth, he wanted her to be happy, that is very admirable on his part.

sailorleo
ice cream look = powdered wig

PirateDiva
I wouldn't say Norrie was a rebel in DMC, piratediva. I respect that, though. I see him as more spineless in DMC than in COTBP. In COTBP, he was confident, but still nervous when it came to Liz, and he was the only character not doing something for himself. He was out to capture Jack because he thought it was the right thing to do, and he wasn't swayed by Jack or anyone else. He backed out of the Liz's engagement because he decided it wasn't right to marry a girl who didn't love him.
In DMC, he's a complete sell-out, like Beckett's b*tch. He'll do anything for anyone as long as he can get his old life back. He can't adapt and Liz can.

LOL....ok ok agreed...maybe rebel was not the word....what i meant was that i loved his grunge, dirty look!!! lol.....but ya now that i think about it he is Bucket Heads B***H...lol!!!!

Mistypirate
Ohhhh LOL laughing out loud vanilla ice cream top.

Chiki Mina
Now that this ice cream is metnioned. I wonder if Jack had the ice cream look while he was working for bucket head.

Mistypirate
Vanilla Ice cream top, Buckets head ***** LOL laughing out loud laughing out loud

Mistypirate
Now that this ice cream is metnioned. I wonder if Jack had the ice cream look while he was working for bucket head.

Good question, I think that he most probably did, do you think that he had the gold teeth?

PirateDiva
I admire Norrigton because he decided not go forward with the engagement, he though it would be wrong to married a woman who loved some one else. Norrigton really loves Elizabeth, he wanted her to be happy, that is very admirable on his part.

Maybe Will should learn from Norrie and back away from his Engagement to Liz....its wrong to marry a girl who loves someone else...if he loves her, he should let her go wink lol!

Chiki Mina
Oh, good question also lol.

I wonder he got to be like that. The beads, the gold teeth, etc.

And I'm still curious on Jack's age.

katelovespirate
Norribeth is the dominant ship in these waters. Honestly. He's the perfect combination of pirate and honorable man for Elizabeth. Elizabeth has really blown her chances with Jack and Will, but with some luck and a great outfit, she could still win James.

Notice in James' proposal scene in film 1, Elizabeth falls into water. While it seems like a horrible misfortune, all the great/exciting things in the story happen because of that moment. Norrington was the catalyst of that moment-- he led her to that place. So naturally he is the source of the good and exciting things that prompt such awesome character growth in her and him both. They are clearly destined to be together.

And the writers have taken her through several episodes to prove that he is just the right kind of man for her. First, she had to reject Norrington because he was not yet developed into the man he had to become (his true self). She paired with Will, a young, brave man who is good with a sword and unswervingly honorable. Then she went for Jack, a rogue with a soft spot for her, who can be charming when drunk and trick everyone for his own purposes.
Clearly, James has mastered the fine arts of extreme honor and self sacrifice, along with the arts of drinking, wenching, and manipulating for one's own gain. He is the perfect combination of qualities for Elizabeth. Everything Elizabeth loves about Will and Jack are both available to her in James.

Not only that, but check out her reunion to him in DMC. She smashes the bottled over his head-- a symbolic gesture of what she does to Jack--- but then goes to the pigsty and helps him up. "What has the world done to you?" It almost seems she is feeling guilty--- what has SHE done to him?

And notice how annoyed she gets when Norrington mentions her attraction to Jack. Clearly, she doesnt want Norrington to think she likes Jack because she wants Norrington to understand there's still a chance to win her.

There is a chance she and Norrington were in league. She puts up surprisingly little protest when he takes the chest and uses it as a decoy-- perhaps the plan was for him to take the chest back to PR and regain some standing in society, so that when she came back he could pardon her and they could pick up where they left off.

Notice how Norrington's attire and attitude (really, his entire character arc) seem to mirror Elizabeth's. They both start out as honest members of society, and slowly have to make compromises to survive and get what they want. Even their changing clothes reflect this common journey.

Norrington has known Elizabeth the longest, and clearly has the prior claim. He was also the man her father chose, a fact that might gain standing once Elizabeth loses her father.

Not to mention Jack Davenport and Kiera Knightly have ridiculous amounts of chemistry.

I just cant see it ending any other way. Norribeth is the only thing that works, IMO.

Then, Will and Jack can walk off into the rain. "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Mistypirate
Originally posted by PirateDiva
Maybe Will should learn from Norrie and back away from his Engagement to Liz....its wrong to marry a girl who loves someone else...if he loves her, he should let her go wink lol!

I think that he will learn at the last minute, I think he is going to be selfish at first. But I think he is going to learn.

Mistypirate
Originally posted by katelovespirate
Norribeth is the dominant ship in these waters. Honestly. He's the perfect combination of pirate and honorable man for Elizabeth. Elizabeth has really blown her chances with Jack and Will, but with some luck and a great outfit, she could still win James.

Notice in James' proposal scene in film 1, Elizabeth falls into water. While it seems like a horrible misfortune, all the great/exciting things in the story happen because of that moment. Norrington was the catalyst of that moment-- he led her to that place. So naturally he is the source of the good and exciting things that prompt such awesome character growth in her and him both. They are clearly destined to be together.

And the writers have taken her through several episodes to prove that he is just the right kind of man for her. First, she had to reject Norrington because he was not yet developed into the man he had to become (his true self). She paired with Will, a young, brave man who is good with a sword and unswervingly honorable. Then she went for Jack, a rogue with a soft spot for her, who can be charming when drunk and trick everyone for his own purposes.
Clearly, James has mastered the fine arts of extreme honor and self sacrifice, along with the arts of drinking, wenching, and manipulating for one's own gain. He is the perfect combination of qualities for Elizabeth. Everything Elizabeth loves about Will and Jack are both available to her in James.

Not only that, but check out her reunion to him in DMC. She smashes the bottled over his head-- a symbolic gesture of what she does to Jack--- but then goes to the pigsty and helps him up. "What has the world done to you?" It almost seems she is feeling guilty--- what has SHE done to him?

And notice how annoyed she gets when Norrington mentions her attraction to Jack. Clearly, she doesnt want Norrington to think she likes Jack because she wants Norrington to understand there's still a chance to win her.

There is a chance she and Norrington were in league. She puts up surprisingly little protest when he takes the chest and uses it as a decoy-- perhaps the plan was for him to take the chest back to PR and regain some standing in society, so that when she came back he could pardon her and they could pick up where they left off.

Notice how Norrington's attire and attitude (really, his entire character arc) seem to mirror Elizabeth's. They both start out as honest members of society, and slowly have to make compromises to survive and get what they want. Even their changing clothes reflect this common journey.

Norrington has known Elizabeth the longest, and clearly has the prior claim. He was also the man her father chose, a fact that might gain standing once Elizabeth loses her father.

Not to mention Jack Davenport and Kiera Knightly have ridiculous amounts of chemistry.

I just cant see it ending any other way. Norribeth is the only thing that works, IMO.

Then, Will and Jack can walk off into the rain. "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

confused What has the world done to you?
You came back converted in to a Norribeth.

Chiki Mina
Hey, kate. What an interesting post smile

Mistypirate
yes and no confused

Chiki Mina
It's alright lol I know kate.

Mistypirate
sad She doesn't like us any more, she got tired of the J/L shippers. *sniff*

willofthewisp
I like you, Kate, I really like you. Just when I thought you were the one of the biggest J/E shippers of all, you either converted, or you're a really good devil's advocate.

- Norrie has known Liz the longest, and he's well aware of her pirate fetish. This also means Liz has known Norrington a long time. She had plenty of time to fall in love with him and in 8 years (at least) and in 8 years I'm sure he did something daring and cool. He's a great swordsman and strategist, for goodness sake! But was liz impressed? Nope. She wanted a pirate.

- Technically the catalyst for everything starting was Liz taking the medallion from Will. If she didn't have that, it wouldn't matter where Norrie proposed to her.

- Liz does get defensive when Norrie suggests she likes Jack, but she doesn't get defensive when she's there smiling like a dumb schoolgirl while Jack's telling her about the compass and flirting with her. Norrie's there listening to all of it too.

- Norrington's costume, although smokin' hot, is not mirrored after Liz's. Even if it was, her costume is mirroring Jack, so Norrie is modeling Jack.

Mistypirate
evil face

Chiki Mina
Knowing kate, I know she's playing the devil's advocate.

She is making a point that yes, those could lead to a Norrie/Liz ship. But this the part when you analyze and think about it.

Norrington and Liz have known each other for over 8 years, at the latest. Wouldn't that had plenty of time for her to be infatuated by him? Instead, she was fascinated by the story of the legendary Jack Sparrow. The evidence: "Are you or aren't you the famous pirate I read about?" That was at the beach scene. Throughout all those years, she has been impressed by the adventures of Jack Sparrow, she never was impressed by Norrington's promotion or his little presentation with his sword.

She gets defensive the fact that Norrington caught her in her horny , school girl smile. She could defend herself by saying, there is nothing between us, your imagining things. Instead she simply said "I trust him, that's all."

I think Norrington, was a wake up call for Liz, because she wouldn't admit that she was attracted to Jack. So he is like "please, woman. It's written all over your face." And I figure that Norrington knew that she has been attracted to Jack from the start.

Chiki Mina
I like you, Kate, I really like you. Just when I thought you were the one of the biggest J/E shippers of all, you either converted, or you're a really good devil's advocate.

- Norrie has known Liz the longest, and he's well aware of her pirate fetish. This also means Liz has known Norrington a long time. She had plenty of time to fall in love with him and in 8 years (at least) and in 8 years I'm sure he did something daring and cool. He's a great swordsman and strategist, for goodness sake! But was liz impressed? Nope. She wanted a pirate.

- Technically the catalyst for everything starting was Liz taking the medallion from Will. If she didn't have that, it wouldn't matter where Norrie proposed to her.

- Liz does get defensive when Norrie suggests she likes Jack, but she doesn't get defensive when she's there smiling like a dumb schoolgirl while Jack's telling her about the compass and flirting with her. Norrie's there listening to all of it too.

- Norrington's costume, although smokin' hot, is not mirrored after Liz's. Even if it was, her costume is mirroring Jack, so Norrie is modeling Jack.

Oops. You beat me lol

Surreal_44
I was getting dinner and then watching Criminal Minds (I solved the case big grin ). I see you all were busy while I was gone. Interesting all around...

At any rate, I think Kate makes some interesting points, but here are my own on why Norribeth would make a good couple.

I admit, the chances are slim, but hear me out.

1. Intelligence. Elizabeth and Norrington both have had the same type of education, and although James could actually have had more, I think Elizabeth is one of those who learns all she can about every subject presented to her. I can imagine that they would have some great conversations about literature, philosphy and politics at the dinner table.

I know it doesn't sound exciting to most people, but a man who engages the mind can actually be quite sexy. You know, quoting Shakespeare while he's nibbling on your toes and working his way up. That kind of thing. wink

2. Appearance. This is obviously a shallow reason, but I mean, come on. The man looks good in brocade, and Elizabeth finally got to see him in another light in DMC...and he sure did look nice. big grin I doubt it went over Elizabeth's head that James is rather hot when he's grimy and sweaty.

3. Chemistry. In CotBP, it's a more subtle, but there is an obvious amount of caring on both sides of the relationship. In DMC, Elizabeth is concerned about James numerous times, not the least of which when he runs off with the chest.

I understand that there is a rather warm reunion scene in AWE, where they see each other after both thinking that the other was dead, and I've heard rumors of a kiss between them. big grin

I have to go for now, but I'll have more later. big grin I'm And Willo, I'm coming after you about your character analysis of Norrington. "Spineless coward"? What about chaining someone up and leaving them to die? Isn't that rather cowardly?

willofthewisp
Surreal, I really respect you. You're usualy on your own and you don't let people change your mind. I have to hand it to you. You're fun to debate with, too.

1. Intelligence. I agree. They could talk about quite a lot and are both educated. Norrington could teach her a lot about navigation and sailing. But...Will and Liz seem to be on equal footing as far as intelligence goes, along with Jack. So I don't think Norrie stands out here, but it's a valid point. They are compatible this way.

And I agree about conversation and intelligence. You need a strong friendship to make it last.

2. Appearance. Well, yeah, Norrie is hot and has the sexiest voice of all of them. So they do look good side by side. But Jack...you may not be attracted to him, but plenty are, and there are even those attracted to Will. This has to be thrown out.

3. Yes, they have chemistry. They care about each other. But Will and Liz definitely care about each other, a lot. And I really do think Jack cares about Liz too and vice versa. For a pirate movie, there's a lot of caring going on.

PS: I was being hard on Norrington. I like his character. I like they made sure he wasn't a cliche. He's really 3-dimensional and complex and that appeals to me. It's a very understated performance by Jack Davenport, too. But...everyone acts like a coward at times in these movies. Norrington uses people and since Liz is now in company with Jack, he knows using the heart to catch Jack could possibly get her hurt. I think he knows Beckett is a baddie but he doesn't care so long as he gets his career back.

And to defend Lizzie......she made a sacrifice to save everyone else. I don't think it was the best choice of action, but she was doing it to protect everyone else.

katelovespirate
any man who looks good in brocade has my vote.

Norrington, whether or not he wins the lady, is the most deserving of her and the most likely to actually make her happy in the long run. Here's why.
-Little girl's crush. Elizabeth knew Norrington and he was the man who first showed her ships, who was a part of her past life in England, who perhaps knew her mother. Norrington was the man who saved Will, really. Norrington was the man who put his career and the safety of his passengers on hold to launch the boats and look for other survivors. Everything she learned about honor and heroism, Elizabeth learned from Norrington. Didn't you guys ever see Memiors of a Geisha? Little girl crush. yeah she was captivated by the thought of the legendary pirates, or the boy who turns up on a plank, but her first and original understanding of men was from Norrington. Just because she didn't seem "infatuated" with him in cotbp doesnt mean she doesn't value him immensly, or trust him, or feel he is a strong person to lean on.

Norrington got the heart. His trickiness outdid Will and Jack.

If you study into the body language of the two, there is a very interesting other topic you can bring up of Victorian fan language. Starting from the 1500s, woman used fans as a communication device, a silent flirting method if you will. Any proper woman or man was trained how to use these signals and what they meant. So Elizabeths rapid fan fluttering during his coronation ceremony means "Come to me, I want you." Now fast forward to film 2, during the swordfight in the bar. Elizabeth's sword is pointed away from her at an upward angle when the fight pauses before she whacks him with the bottle. This angle, when used with a fan, was meant to convey a similar message: "come hither." Norrington's drunken bellow, along the lines of "who wants a piece of me", is met with decisive action on the part of Elizabeth.

Do you ever see her take such decisive, honest actions with Will or Jack? nope. with them she's always manipulating and wavering. James is the only man she can be truly honest with.

It's all about the journey. "Has my daughter given you an answer yet?" "no, she hasn't". "Well, it has been a very trying day for her." and yes, it has, because Elizabeth has been thrust into a new world and she has tons of growth ahead of her. She is given oppurtunities to do and experience things she never would have before. It will be some time before she is able to give James her answer--- the answer that comes at the end of the journey, and leads her character full circle.

She was all set to marry Norrington at the end of Cotbp, and didnt seem upset about it at all. She hardly reacts to Will's declaration of love; it's only in order to save both Jack and Will's life that she steps in front of the guns, well knowing James (at this point, anyways) won't feel she is equal to him in terms of honor for such behavior. Until he turns rumpot himself, that is.

heck, her tears at the end of DMC could very well be for James as well, who they presume dead probably.

Willo, thank you, I'm quite honored with the title devil's advocate. Chiki, Misty, don't panic, you've always known I was a closet norribether. Surreal, whats all this i hear about a reunion kiss? wink

well i'm out. night all. smile

Chiki Mina
You better come back kate sad I have missed ya.

Surreal_44
Willo: big grin I will cling to my ship until the movie is over...and then I will go write fanfiction and weep a lot of I don't get my way. Well, weeping might be a little over-the-top, but the fanfiction I would definitely do. big grin

I really do believe Jack, Will and Norrington are equals as far as intelligence go, but I think that Elizabeth would have more interesting and stimulating conversations with Norrington, because as I mentioned, their educations are very similar.

Jack might actually be her next equal in stimulating conversation, because I would guess that he's had a fair amount of education, and then Will would be last, because he was only a blacksmith. He may have been given a bit of education, but I am not sure how much he actually would have had.

So anyway... big grin

And while appearance may not be a huge factor in everything, I think it would actually help in this case. Before, Elizabeth has only really known James in formal attire and 'proper' settings. Now she's had an opportunity to get to know the man beneath the polished exterior. And it's not like he fell out of the ugly tree, you know?

Interesting point about body language, Kate. I think that more so than the fan and all that, just watch the two of them together. They are actually quite comfortable together. big grin

By the way, have you closely watched the deleted proposal scene in CotBP? I love that entire thing! Such a great moment. I think the writers said that Elizabeth would have been happy with Norrington, and grown to love him. Not sure where that was...must go look...

And I saw a rumor about a kiss between N/E, but eh, I didn't mark it so I have no idea where it is. Would be nice if it happened though. I personally think he should have kissed her before running off with the chest. big grin

katelovespirate
so do i. near death experiences and near certain death in the future always call for kisses.

Mistypirate
Really a kiss between Norrington and Elizabeth? I wouldn't want to miss that. I'll make sure I'll load my self with lots of caffeine, so I don't fall asleep during Norrington's scenes. stick out tongue

PirateDiva
Really a kiss between Norrington and Elizabeth? I wouldn't want to miss that. I'll make sure I'll load my self with lots of caffeine, so I don't fall asleep during Norrington's scenes. stick out tongue

LMAO!

Chiki Mina
I don't think so. Sorry but, Norrington is too in love with his career, doing his little sword tricks, his wig, and his promotion.

willofthewisp
I would like to see Liz and Norrie kiss, even though that kind of whores her out.

That's really interesting about the fan, and I think I'd heard that before.

Unfortunately, Kate, Liz does look upset when she gets engaged to Norrington. Look at her face right before Jack does his famous "drinks all around" bit. She looks so upset. And then later when Will says, "your fiance's waiting," she looks at him so pathetically, like she knows she has nothing to look forward to. When Norrie asks her where her heart really lies, she affirms it's next to Will and Jack. And I've seen the deleted scenes between them and really like them. It humanizes Norrington and shows the understanding he and Liz have, and I do think that if they married, she would eventually fall in love with him.

But she has no interest in him other than a friend. She shows a clear aversion to marrying him.

Chiki Mina
And I think Norrington let go of Elizabeth. I think he was infatuated by her because he saw her growing up and is the Governor's daughter.

What Norrington never wants to let go is his career, and his mission to capture Jack Sparrow. He refuses to let go of Jack Sparrow.

I think Norrington wants the fame and attention he wants when they see that he captured the most famous pirate of the 7 seas--a legend.

Surreal_44
Chiki, your characterization of Norrington isn't quite fair.

One reason I say this is that is because on WordPlayer, Terry has discussed some of Norrington's motivations on WordPlayer.

Here: http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/moviesarc07/index.cgi?read=85293

Is posting to another forum against the rules? If so, I can remove the link and just PM it to those who are interested. big grin

Surreal_44
The above link was actually supposed to be this one: http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/moviesarc07/index.cgi?read=87910 big grin

katelovespirate
t and t seem to really respect Norrington--- one of my fav. lines from the DMC commentary was when the one told the other to shush because Jack Davenport was entering. big grin

PirateDiva
which was rather annoying because the other one was actually gonna make a point about Jack and LIZ....i got soooo mad at that...lol!!

Surreal_44
Yes. I thought what they did with Norrington's character was brilliant. big grin And he came out on top finally. *is smug*

Yeah, yeah, it lead to Jack dying, but hey, we're getting him back, right? So really, Norrington's actions simply helped lead to Elizabeth's true feelings for Jack, right? So it was a good thing!

Ahem...back to my Norribeth...I just think that they look nice together. I've got nothing to support my ship, I admit it. laughing

Ericadawn
But Lizzy likes a little darkness to her men and James has proved capable of being dark.

willofthewisp
Don't give up, surreal. At this point, anything could happen, and I admitted I'd like to see them kiss. Liz kisses everybody eventually, and I'd rather she kiss James than Will or anybody else except Jack. Have you read the script? I haven't, so don't tell me anything that happens in it if you have, but that would be really cool if they shared a kiss.

I love Jack Davenport's voice.

Chiki Mina
Chiki, your characterization of Norrington isn't quite fair.

One reason I say this is that is because on WordPlayer, Terry has discussed some of Norrington's motivations on WordPlayer.

Here: http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/moviesarc07/index.cgi?read=85293

Is posting to another forum against the rules? If so, I can remove the link and just PM it to those who are interested. big grin

Well, Surreal, I think you missunderstood me. But, Norrington doesn't make the best of them all because he also wanted the chest for selfish acts. Well, all did. So I don't know where to go with this argument. But one thing for sure Liz isn't attracted to Norrie's dark side, she just feels sorry.

ivebeendepped43
i can acept this ship. 50 times better than pansy/liz

Surreal_44
*sighs* Based on recent spoilers, I think it's time this ship was dry-docked. sad sad

Ah well, that's what fanfiction is for, right? big grin

Ericadawn
Well, we still get a hug!!

And she better name the kid James!

Just call me, Bitter Miss Bitterton.

katelovespirate
*sighs* Based on recent spoilers, I think it's time this ship was dry-docked. sad sad

Ah well, that's what fanfiction is for, right? big grin

never give up hope, mate. smile maybe we should start an all-forum AWE version with an intended James/Elizabeth ending. that could be fun.

sailorleo
omg...kate, can we! *is wide eyed* ....wait...why am i sporting a ship that isn't sailorleo/norrie...that's annoying, my mistake....

katelovespirate
Sailor, I think we ought to do it. Just for fun. See if Willofthewisp or T Maria would be up for some more writing. smile

SarahB
thts an interesting ideasmile.....a sailorleo/norrie thread mmmmmmmm............wink

sailorleo
well i know in February there's gonna be a sailor/norrie rp wedding....

PirateDiva
OMG Do u have ur Dress Yet? eek! lol

sailorleo
sorta lol

SarahB
laughing out loud lmao-

willofthewisp
Wait, what are we doing? A Liz/Norrie story or a Sailor/Norrie story? I'm sure Sailor will just insert herself as Liz if we do the first. I'm in! Look for the thread.

sailorleo
Wait, what are we doing? A Liz/Norrie story or a Sailor/Norrie story? I'm sure Sailor will just insert herself as Liz if we do the first. I'm in! Look for the thread. aw...thatnks for the vote of confidence..if it was a liz norrie story...i'd behave....i'd try REALLY HARD!

willofthewisp
It's called the Norribeth KMC fic. Look for it and create to your heart's content.

sailorleo
It's called the Norribeth KMC fic. Look for it and create to your heart's content. k

fridayN
hey guys,
At last I found you! smile
I also belong to the norribeth's camp of POTC fans. Looks like we're not in a great number...

sailorleo
I saw your videos on youtube (I mean Behind Blue Eyes, What Hearts the Most). I LOVE 'em!!!

sailorleo
Originally posted by fridayN
hey guys,
At last I found you! smile
I also belong to the norribeth's camp of POTC fans. Looks like we're not in a great number...

sailorleo
I saw your videos on youtube (I mean Behind Blue Eyes, What Hearts the Most). I LOVE 'em!!! aw thanks smile love the banner!

fridayN
Thanx!
And the same about your baner! love

willofthewisp
I hope Norrington's known all along that Liz is a resourceful, smart young lady. You know? It seemed like at first people wanted her because she was beautiful. But the audience got to see she was a lot more and ultimately Will got to see it too. So I hope she and Norrie have known each other well enough for him to see she's one of a kind.

Surreal_44
^^ Admittedly, it is not the 'final draft' of Pirates, but in the script of Curse of the Black Pearl that TnT posted on their website, it mentions that Norrington loves Elizabeth because of her fire. In fact, I think it says in the script at least twice that he loves her, and I don't think it's because she's pretty....

And towards the beginning, when Will throws his axe through the map, this is what they wrote:

I don't think Norrington ever loved Elizabeth because she was proper...remember, he called her a 'fine young woman', not a proper one. big grin I think he enjoys her strong will, and probably found it interesting.

Remember how I mentioned that they would probably have a lot to talk about? I think that was another attraction of his to Elizabeth. He could actually talk to her.

Norrington strikes me as a very lonely person, and Elizabeth and Governor Swann seem to be the closest thing he has to family or close friends, and the fact that Elizabeth is someone he could actually hold a conversation with, and who is also attractive, must have been quite appealing to James. big grin

willofthewisp
You should participate in the fanfic we're writing that will end in N/E. We did a whole series of J/E and now we need a challenge, and it is a fun pairing. I think they could make it and love each other if they had actually married. It's Norribeth: the KMC fic thread. Feel free to write anything. We're making it up as we go.

sailorleo
yeah..i'll try and help, but im not a good writer.....that and i need inspiration....

willofthewisp
Norrie is your inspiration, sailor! He makes your bosom heave and your knees buckle! His voice makes you feel invincible, like you could conquer the most well-guarded city. You long to be captured by pirates just for the opportunity to have the irreplacable Commodore rescue you! How do you need more inspiration? love

sailorleo
*passes out at her words* your right *fans self off* I promise, i will think of something....but i have to go soon....i will write though..*re reads willows post and dies*

Surreal_44
Doesn't Norrington just have the sexiest voice ever? I mean, the moment I heard "My story..." I practically melted in my seat. Yeah, I think he could inspire me to do all kinds of things with that voice. evil face

Hambah
yeah, i like both jack d. and johnny's voices

willofthewisp
As much as I love Johnny, I don't care for his voice. It's not bad or good. It just doesn't do much for me. However, it's distinctive and I can always tell it's him, which I like. I LOVE Jack Davenport's voice. It is just so mmmm. But I should let Sailor expand on that.

sailorleo
ooo...if we let sailor do that we could be here along time, alhtough i will say this about his voice...when i heard his first lines in DMC a HUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEE grin came on my face it was so hard to hide...i nearly said speak again o bright angel...lol...*sighs*

fridayN
Surreal_44
I've read this *first draft* script too and I was just shocked because of its difference with final. Especially about how they cropped Norrington's part and how they make him a "bad guy" and then (in the 2nd POTC) "fallen angel". huh

We can clearly see that he loves Elizabeth and that she doesn't hate him. She wasn't fighting in the cave with the pirates alongside Will, but waiting in Norringtin's on the ship almost till the end.

Surreal_44
What makes Norrington such an interesting character to me is that he isn't just an antagonist...he has that protagonist feel about him, but he's just on the opposite side of the three main characters so often.

People who can't look beyond the surface of his character only see the 'antagonist', when, on closer reflection, he actually fits the role of protagonist much better.

But I love your description of 'fallen angel'...oooh, fanficcy time.

Oh yes, Elizabeth and Norrington...Yes, she does care for Norrington. In the DMC script, it mentions several times that she's concerned or worried about him, which just strengthens my belief that if things had turned out differently, they would have been quite happily married.

katelovespirate
yeah, i think in the loooong run, she would be happiest with Norrington. at least, who her character is at this point--- let's face it, she longs for adventure but she gets tired of piracy. she gets annoyed at pirates and their way of dealing with things.

i can imagine her happily married to norrington, living a bit away from port royal in a mansion overlooking the sea, and sailing about with him having adventures from time to time.

fridayN
Elizabeth was dreaming to meet a pirate since her childhood and finally she became a pirate herself. It was just a sort of a game for her, not a part of the real life. That's why she comes back to her father and Norrington (in the end of the 1st film) without regret; she has not any intentions to run if not Will's appearing... This final scene, seems to me, was "the end after the end", the end which we not agree with. thumb down

willofthewisp
You lost me on the last sentence, friday, but I liked where you were going with it. I respectfully disagree. I think Liz's true soulmate is Jack, but I do have to say that had she made the choice to marry Norrington, she would have come to love him without any difficulty. I think she feels he's too conventional for her and she has more pity for him than passion, but after DMC, who knows? He showed a completely different side. In a way, he and Liz are parallel in that they both "came over to the pirate side" for a while. Norrington was just more desperate than Liz was.
I like him. He's a great character and I appreciate other people don't see him as the antagonist. He's fully developed and has positive and negative traits, as does Liz. They would be a good match, but I think that match would work if different choices had been made. I don't think they'll happen now, and I don't want them too. I want both of them to be happy, though.

Man, they would be hot, however. I just imagined Norrie whispering something to Liz with that voice, and I got a chill.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.