You know what they say.......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Corran
Sayings that are so obviously wrong:-

"EVERYTHING COMES IN THREES"
Not true. In reality, everything comes in ones. Sometimes, when three "ones" come in a row, it seems like everything comes in threes.
By the way, in medieval times it was widely believed that everything came in twenty-sixes. They were wrong, too. It just took them longer to recognize the pattern.

"YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU "
Well.....that depends on what it is. If it's your dark blue suit, you can certainly take it with you. In fact, not only can you take it with you, you can probably putsome things in your pockets.

Dexx
yup..i know what ya mean
Maybe it's in english too but 'round here there's a stupid remark ( dunno it exactly) that it's a sign of stupidity to laugh at something you remember. When in fact you're always laughing at something you remember, wether or not u remember it from 2 days ago or 3 seconds after he told a joke.....

Corran
Something similar to this?

"YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY"
Actually, you learn something old every day. Just because you've just learned it doesn't mean it's new. Other people already knew it, Columbus is a good example of this.

Dexx
new to you...not an invention

Corran
OK some more:-

"THE SKY'S THE LIMIT"
Well, how can the sky be the limit? The sky never ends. What kind of a limit is that? The earth is the limit. You dig a hole and what do you keep getting? More earth. The earth is the limit.

"YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"
Clearly this is not true. Have you been shopping recently? Only a very naive person would believe that you get what you pay for. In point of fact, if you check your purchases carefully, you'll find that you get whatever they feel like giving you. And if corporations get any more powerful, you soon might not even get that.

mah
true that about the sky

Dexx
not true at all. Some have a deeper sense..u can't see it without thinking.
If someone's not paying attention and gets tricked when buying something than yes, you got what you payed for. And the sky is the limist. You said it never ends..so there's nothing after it, right? Limit.
And if you keep digging in the earth eventually u'll reach the other side...sky there too

mah
nothing after the sky? except trillions, zillions of stars, star systems, moons, planets??? so no, the sky aint the limit

Dexx
ok the universe........can be considered sky in metafors. The same as digging through the earth..it's not like u'r gonna make it

mah
it can't really be the sky, the sky lies around our planet

Dexx

Ushgarak
That one about getting what you pay for was written by someone with no grasp of economics...

L.E.
but if you think about a pair of sunglassess or a handbag (preferably coach) yur not getting near enough as you paid for.

yerssot
glasses are black, glasses are black
and something else I don't know

Ushgarak
Well, no, actually, you ARE getting what you pay for, as you pay the market value for those glasses. Don't go assinging any theoretical values of worth here- the ONLY value of an object is what people are prepared to pay for it, and as glasses sell at that level, that makes them worth that much. It doesn't matter if they cost one-tenth that much toi make, if the people who make them become fat and rich, the point still is that the only thing that measures the worth of an object is how much people will pay for it.

If people WOULDN'T pay that much for them, they wouldn't sell. They do sell therefore that IS their worth.

Dexx
look beyond business or economical principples. I think this line is older than that and has a hidden meaning

Corran
Strange how posting something daft can turn to an almost normal discussion.

"TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY"
Not neccesarily true. Today is another day. We have no idea what tomorrow is going to be. It might turn out to be another day, but we can't be sure. If it happens, I'll be the first to say so. But, you know what? By that time, it will be today again.

"NICE GUYS FINISH LAST"
Not true. Studies have shown that, on average, nice guys finish third in a field of six. Actually, short guys finish last. By the way, in medieval times it was widely believed that nice guys finished twenty-sixth. You can see how limited those people were.

Ushgarak
I think you will find that that line is not older than money, Dexx, and so long as there has been money, what I said has been true.

Dexx
i'm sure these weren't ment to be taken literally. I'm sure something can be found in all of 'em.

Ushgarak
You seem to have missed the point, Dexx... I am saying the statement is TRUE.

Dexx
i was answering corran

Fire
ush is right if u look at it from an economical view that point is correct
it's just offer and demand, if ppl would refuse to pay that much the price would drop (tho it is almost impossible to make something like that happen cause it requires a lot of planning, and not sure that'd be legal in belgium well maybe really depends it are strange laws)

Dexx
i'm not talking about economics, digits percentages and all of these....i'm talkin about the moral, the basic ideea

Gundark
Waste is a cracked bowl which never knows rice.

Dexx
waste would be a cracked bowl full of rice big grin

yerssot
waste? isn't that a bodypart? wink

Dexx
no, it's me giving you waffles

Gundark
I take it Dexx doesn't like rice.

yerssot
YOU give ME waffles?
you took those blue pills again, didn't you?

Dexx
no, i like rice, therefore, a bowl ful of rice falls outa my hands..and cracks = waste big grin

Gundark
Rice a Roni.

The San Francisco Treat !

yerssot
what if you don't life there?

Gundark
It wasn't too bad when I visited.

yerssot
same here, just wondering

Gundark
I made fried rice on saturday.

yerssot
*thinks back*
Don't think I ate saturday actually...
you mean Rice Krispys?

Corran
"IF YOU'VE SEEN ONE, YOU'VE SEEN THEM ALL"
Do we even have to talk about this one? This should be obvious. If you've seen one, you've seen ... one. If you've seen them all, *then* you've seen them all. I don't even understand how this one got started.

"THOSE WERE THE DAYS"
No. Those were the nights! Think back. Weren't the nights better? Days you had to work. Nights you went to parties. "Those were the nights!"

"THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH"
What about when you eat at home? I don't pay when I eat lunch at home it's FREE! Sometimes I'll leave a tip, but basically, it's a free lunch.

Yes, I know we had to buy the food at the store. But as the Zen Buddhists say, 'The Food Is Not the Lunch'.

Dexx
Those were the days....another argument of people thinking at the golden age means something in the past. MAybe it's reffered to 24 hours days big grin

Corran
"YOU PAY YOUR MONEY, AND YOU TAKE YOUR CHANCES"
I think what I said earlier still applies" You pays your money and you takes whatever they jolly well give you. Actually, when you get right down to it, you pays your money and you loses your money.

"EVERYBODY HAS HIS PRICE"
Not so. Would you believe there are millions of people who do not have their price? Thanks to a government mix-up, many people have their neighbors price.

"THEY DON'T MAKE 'EM LIKE THEY USED TO"
Actually they do make 'em like they used to, they just don't sell 'em anymore. They make 'em, and then they keep 'em.

Dexx
you pay your money..and you loose. That was your chance...Sometimes you win.
MOst of 'em are not ment to be taken literally

Corran
"TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT"
Well, it just so happens that two wrongs do make a right. Not only that, but as the number of wrongs increases, the whole thing goes up exponentially. So that while two wrongs make one right, and four wrongs make two rights, it actually takes sixteen wrongs to make three rights, and 256 wrongs to make four rights. It seems to me that anyone who is stringing together 256 wrongs needs counseling, not mathematics.

"IF IT'S NOT ONE THING, IT'S ANOTHER"
No, not always. Sometimes if it's not one thing, not only is it not another, but it turns out to be something else entirely.

"YOU CAN'T WIN THEM ALL"
Not true. Believe it or not, there is a man somewhere in Illinois who, so far, has won them all. But don't get too excited; it has also been discovered that it is possible to lose them all. By the way, there is no record of anyone having tied them all.

Fire
hehe, well go for it then

Dexx
this is way off...now ur looking into every saying there is. So basicly it's the concept of "saying" that's wrong....

Corran
"THINGS HAVE TO GET BETTER, THEY CAN'T GET ANY WORSE"

This is an example of truly faulty logic. Just because things can't get any worse, is no reason to believe they have to get better. They might just stay the same. And, by the way, who says things can't get any worse?
For many people, things get worse and worse and worse and worse.

finti
yeah you could be dead

Corran
or yerss.

Gundark
Ooooooo....that was cruel.

queeq
laughing

yerssot
I've deceided to go offline because of that
*starts to cry*

Corran
Oh, no please don't go we didn't mean it really, please come back.

Corran
OK so which bastard managed to post the above posy on my behalf?

Yerss please ignore the above post if you come back, and if you do come back and ignore the above thread, please go away again.

mah
laughing out loud

Corran
"NOBODY EVER SAID THAT LIFE WAS FAIR"
I specifically remember as I was growing up, at least twelve different people, telling me life was fair. One person put it this way; "Life, you will find, is fair." Oddly enough, all twelve of those people died before the age of twenty-seven.

Dexx
ok..life is fair...good?

Corran
No Dexx, that's bad.

Corran
"IT TAKES TWO TO TANGO"
Sounds good, but simple reasoning will reveal that actually it takes only one to tango. It does take two to tango together, maybe. But one person is certainly capable of tangoing on his own. He just might look a little silly.

finti
actually Corran , NO Tango is not for solo. You have to remember dancing in the old days was standing in a line opposite each other, the first dance to have a closed hold was the vienna waltz then came Polka.
Tango went a little further and was considered a scandalous dance cause you are cheek to cheek, chest together, legs almost wraped around each other in a, then, sexual innuendo/obscenities. So that dance need partners. And in Argentina men danced with each other eek! eek! with the goal to have the fanciest moves to attracting the ladies.

Lara
I think I'm gonna spew! sick sick sick
why did you have to post some thing like that, finti?

finti
cause it is a fact roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lara
Its not only us women, you know! men do it as well!

queeq
No.... ARGENTINIAN men do that.

Dim
So you've never danced cheek to cheek with another man???...why not?

mah
funny that after this thread was made, KJ came back, Dim is here, and now Ratcat is online..
edit: that other thread I mean..the one by tex..

yerssot
guess he likes skirtwearing, none-scottish people... wink

finti
who?

queeq
The Who?

finti
smile smile smile smile smile
"When I say I love you you say you better
You better you better you bet
When I say I need you you say you better
You better you better you bet
You better bet your life
Or love will cut you like a knife"- THE WHO

Corran
"THERE'S A SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE, AND TWO TO TAKE HIM"
This may have been true in the past, but now, if you adjust for the increased population base, birth control, and the so-called moral decline, not only are there five suckers born every minute, there are now fifty-three to take him.

finti
take him???

Dexx
didn't see ratcat online...but the again..i'm not online much either now sad

finti
turn the lights down low- Bob Marley

queeq
He wasn't online. Someone revived an old thread with some of his posts.

mah
and why does it say -user online - ratcat, when someone does that`?

yerssot
*goes sitting in Kay's confusion corner*
... can't follow...

keokiswahine
*no clue, either* confused confused confused

*hands yersssss a cold blue milk smoothie*

maybe it's the hairy legs............RC, you know, isn't he ole hairy legs? laughing laughing wink roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
*sips cold blue milk smoothie*
*gives Kay belgian chocolate*
*waits for explanation*

Ushgarak
More likely she'll be sick on that chocolate.

finti
hmmm

queeq
Maybe RC came and had a peek at the old place. Who knows? Too bad I missed him.

finti
with what evil face

queeq
laughing out loud

Corran
"WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW WON'T HURT YOU"
Why don't we just ask Julius Caesar and John F. Kennedy about this one?

Lara
glad to c that I'm not the only one that thinks, and finds belgian chocolates are doddgy! sick sick careful keo, that chocolate'll make you spew!

mah
so thats why yerss is a mental case

Lara
more than likely!

yerssot
you bought that cheap crap we always give to tourists stick out tongue

Fire
hehe, I have to agree with yerss here, go ask a jap they pay 5 euro's for 2 belgian chocolates (average weight 12 gr) over there
so don't think they are that bad

yerssot
japs are crazy, that's the problem

we keep the best for ourselfs, the rest can get sold

Ushgarak
Actualy, Belgian chocolate is not terrible, just hugely over-rated and over-priced. It CAN be rather sickly in large amounts.

finti
thats right

mah
well the belgian chocolate they sell at the local grocery shop here is good!

Corran
I like Belgian Chocolate but it does become sickly after about a Kilo.

yerssot
argh! corran! you don't have any chocolate condition huh?
I start feeling sick after a kilo or 7

finti
sick

yerssot
this one? sick

Corran
It's actually a good thing, because after you throw up you can eat even more chocolate and so the process begins again. I think I should have been born a Roman during the Roman Empire.

yerssot
never been sick of chocolate

Corran
I never said I was sick of chocolate, even if I was sick because of eating too much of it, I would not be sick of it.

yerssot
save you out of it

Corran
confused

yerssot
my point exactly

mah
as always

yerssot
never! I resent that!

Lara
actually I didnt buy them, they were a birthday present from guiseppe! *pokes tongue out at yerss!*

Corran
Ewww, you're not putting that thing back in your mouth are you? especially as you know where it's been.

Fire
lol I never ate a kilo of chocolate don't like it that much

Corran
I've got a difficult choice right now, I have 2 bars of Jacali chocolate. I have a Praline and a Bresilienne - which do I eat first?

Fire
lol praline is what I would choose, but the freedom to make our own choices in life is the only freedom we trully have so make up ur own mind smile

Corran
i kkjdn nnggh nghgs tfbnd tdnnd

Fire
finish ur candy before trying to type stick out tongue

Corran
Sorry about that, still have the praline to eat now.

Fire
oooh no

queeq
And now the end is near..... CLOSING!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.