The best (and worst) of 2006

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xmarksthespot
(I think there was another thread like this which went awry, but it was still a nice idea)

So anyway, I'm interested in what people think were the best in comics of 2006, and if for a category there was anything or anyone you'd consider the worst of 2006.

And if possible a little about why.

So here are the categories (I've appropriated from other threads and sites), if you can think of anything else worth noting feel free to add.

Hero:

Villain:

Team:

New character:

Fight:

Cliffhanger:

Writer:

Artist:

Writer/artist combination:

Cover art:

New series:

Miniseries:

Single issue:

Graphic novel:

Event or crossover:

Overall best ongoing comic:

Company:

freezedoom
THE SUPERHERO REGISTRATION ACT , nuff said.

Got da virus
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
(I think there was another thread like this which went awry, but it was still a nice idea)

Company:

Yes i wonder what was wrong with this one ?

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=433715&highlight=Yahman+forumid%3A95

Ichigo66666

Hero:Iron Fist, becoming Daredevil, 'nuff said. He is a great Daredevil and a great hero.

Villain:Genis, I really liked what they did with him this year, to be honest, I preferred Genis to photon.

Team:Fantastic Four. I just love them, I hope they get back together as BP and Storm don't deserve sh*t in this team.

New character:

Fight:Beta Ray Bill VS Stardust-A great battle of the cosmics, really potrayed Bill well

Cliffhanger:

Writer:

Artist:

Cover art:

New series:

Miniseriesmessedtormbreaker

Single issue:

Graphic novelmessedtormbreaker

Event or crossover:Civil War

Overall best ongoing comic:Fantastic Four

Company:Marvel, top class storylines and writing.

I can't really think at the moment, could I do the rest later? smile

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Ichigo66666
I can't really think at the moment, could I do the rest later? smile Meh, if you can't think of or can't decide on an answer for a category just omit it.

Got da virus

So anyway, I'm interested in what people think were the best in comics of 2006, and if for a category there was anything or anyone you'd consider the worst of 2006.

And if possible a little about why.

So here are the categories (I've appropriated from other threads and sites), if you can think of anything else worth noting feel free to add.

Hero:

Villain:

Team:

New character:

Fight:

Cliffhanger:

Writer:

Artist:

Cover art:

New series:

Miniseries:

Single issue:

Graphic novel:

Event or crossover:

Overall best ongoing comic:

Company:

Best character/good guy : Sentry ... Na only joking, Has to go too Superman. The revamp in his three books have made his, one of the most interesting books around.

Best Villain : Iron man .... what a BASTARD, he pips 'Super Emo' to the line.

Best Newcomer:Vulcan I suppose, Not very many new characters this year, although Khyber (From Superman) looks to be something cool.

Best 'Come back'/Revamp: Superboy 'Emo' Prime.

Best Moment : Oh my god there have been so many, we have had Wolverine getting to know his more feminine side in Astonishing, we've had Ultimate Hawk-eye killing people with his finger nails in Ultimates, we've had Spider man reveal himself and we've had both Thor's Ultimates. I loved how Quicksilver killed 'Hurricane' in Ultimates and Black Adams 'finger of death' in Infinite Crisis. But my favourite moment by far, has to go to the 'The biggest mistake u made, was that you didn't let the Joker play', i.e. when Joker killed Alex Luthor in IC number 7.

Greatest W.T.F. moment : Sentry kissing the void in the last issue of his terrible mini.

Best Revelation: Code Lightning, Thor's return.

willRules
Originally posted by Got da virus
Best character/good guy : Sentry ... Na only joking, Has to go too Superman. The revamp in his three books have made his, one of the most interesting books around.

Best Villain : Iron man .... what a BASTARD, he pips 'Super Emo' to the line.

Best Newcomer:Vulcan I suppose, Not very many new characters this year, although Khyber (From Superman) looks to be something cool.

Best 'Come back'/Revamp: Superboy 'Emo' Prime.

Best Moment : Oh my god there have been so many, we have had Wolverine getting to know his more feminine side in Astonishing, we've had Ultimate Hawk-eye killing people with his finger nails in Ultimates, we've had Spider man reveal himself and we've had both Thor's Ultimates. I loved how Quicksilver killed 'Hurricane' in Ultimates and Black Adams 'finger of death' in Infinite Crisis. But my favourite moment by far, has to go to the 'The biggest mistake u made, was that you didn't let the Joker play', i.e. when Joker killed Alex Luthor in IC number 7.

Greatest W.T.F. moment : Sentry kissing the void in the last issue of his terrible mini.

Best Revelation: Code Lightning, Thor's return.

Isn't that all taken from wizard? wink

Got da virus
Originally posted by willRules
Isn't that all taken from wizard? wink

No .... but another source shifty

willRules
Newsarama? wink

King_Mungi
Worst death (Marvel): Banshee or Alpha Flight

nimbus006

WrathfulDwarf
There can possibly be any worse writer at this moment than Will Pfeifer for Catwoman. Trully an embarrasment in the DCU. Without a doubt that idiot ruined the Catwoman series. Even worse he thinks he is funny in his interviews.

Best comic would go to Villains United and Day of Vengeance.

Captain Marvel for me is the best hero in 06.

Grimm22
Hero:Iron Man (Already explained this in another thread)

Villain: I forget who I put down here, but its in another thread

Team: Nextwave, sure the book has been canceled but its still the funniest god damn book on the market

New character: Said it in the other thread

Fight: Said it in other thread

Cliffhanger: "Thor's" Return - CW #3

Writer: Mark Millar (for Ultimates 2, Ultimate FF and CW)

Artist: Steve McNiven (started out on a sleeper hit MK 4 and went to the biggest crossover since Secret Wars!)

Writer/artist combination: Bendis and Bagley for Ultimate Spider-Man (Clone Saga at least big grin)

Cover art: Mike Turner (for CW covers)

New series: Nextwave

Miniseries: Justice

Single issue: Ultimate Fantastic Four #29. (The Super Skrull destroys a world of superpowered heroes and is defeated by a powerless Ben Grimm, who must then sacrifice a chance of himself becoming human to save earth. Brilliant!) (Runner-Up:Ult. FF #32)

Graphic novel: Fables: vol.1 (Sure it may have come out a while ago, but I just read it this year and was blown away big grin)

Event or crossover:- First Half of Civil War (I draw the line at Clor Millar)

Overall best ongoing comic: Astonishing X-men

Company: Marvel

Grimm22
Originally posted by King_Mungi
Worst death (Marvel): Banshee or Alpha Flight

Eh, Banshee's death was garbage, but AF's death isn't cannon as far as I know of.

Because I swear to god, if the Collective is Canon, I will HURT YOU Bendis! mad

DigiMark007
Best Title: Daredevil.

...the rest I really don't feel strongly about.

King_Mungi
Originally posted by Grimm22
Eh, Banshee's death was garbage, but AF's death isn't cannon as far as I know of.

Because I swear to god, if the Collective is Canon, I will HURT YOU Bendis! mad

It's canon, Omega Flight is being created due to the events of New Avengers #16

Martian_mind
Omega flight>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> New Avengers

Accel
Originally posted by Grimm22

Graphic novel: Fables: vol.1 (Sure it may have come out a while ago, but I just read it this year and was blown away big grin)
Same with me and "Y: The Last Man." I just started reading the series about a month ago and I'm loving every bit of it.

Beta Ray Howard
Hero:
Best- Captain America. Guy is fighting an entire nation
Worst - Superman. Developed a Jesus complex.

Villain:
Best - Nitro. Kills a bunch of people and doesn't regret a moment of it.
Worst - Superemo Prime. Huuuuge dissapointment

Team:
Best: Green Lanter Corps. Probably the best comic DC has right now.
Worst: New Avengers. The only worthwhile part of the comic was Luke Cage

New character:
Best - Well, he's newer. I'd give it to either Hulkling or Vision II
Worst - Once again, Superemo Prime

Fight:
Best - Spider-Man vs Captain America
Worst - The Battle for Metropolis. Amazo getting wtfpwned, etc., tied with Hulk and Friends vs Silver Surfer.

Cliffhanger:
Best - Civil War 1
Worst - World War Hulk, issue before the fight with Surfer

Writer:
Best - Michael Avon Oeming
Worst - Geoff Johns. IC was doing sooo well, and he made it all about Superman. GAH!

The rest I may touch on later.

King_Mungi
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Omega flight>>>>>>>>>>>> New Avengers

Well technically it's not out yet cool , but let's stay on topic.

Lucid Lui
Hero
Best: Iron Man. One of the most interesting characters in comics at the moment. And yes, he's still a hero.

Worst: Wolverine. I'm a big fan of the character, but 2006 was not a quality year for him. Far from it in fact.

Villain
Best: Vanessa Fisk. The whole attempted murder of Foggy, manipulating Murdock with Karen's scent etc etc etc. Basically psycologically mind****ing Daredevil. Great stuff.

Worst: Vulcan. Don't care for this character in the least. Especially as a villain.

Team
Best: X-Factor

Worst: Not sure...

Fight
Best: New Avengers vs. Super Adaptoid. New Avengers Annual #1.

Worst: Namor vs. Wolverine. Wolverine #45.

Cliffhanger
Best: Runaways #22.

Writer
Best: Chritos Gage and Brian K Vaughn.

Worst: Loeb.

Artist
Best: Mcniven.

Worst: Humberto Ramos.

Writer/artist combination
Best: Brubaker and Epting.

Worst: Loeb and Leifeld

Cover art
Best: Del'Otto

Worst: Leifeld

New series
Best: Iron Fist

Miniseries
Best: The Escapists

Worst: Onslaught Reborn

Single issue
Best: Iron Man/Captain America: Casualties of War.

Worst: Wolverine #45.

Graphic novel
Best: The Fountain

Wost: Not sure...

Event or crossover
Best: Civil War.

Worst: Dunno...

Overall ongoing comic
Best: Y: The Last Man and Daredevil.

Worst: Black Panther.

Grimm22
Originally posted by King_Mungi
It's canon, Omega Flight is being created due to the events of New Avengers #16

Good god roll eyes (sarcastic)

The last issue of that arc was one of the worst comics i've EVER read

Grimm22
I already did the best, now here is the worst of 2006....

Hero: Juggernaut (I don't hate the character, he's just a horrible hero)

Villain: Clor (Wow, a evil cyborg clone of Thor who hates everybody, wtf was millar thinking?!?)

Team: Ultimate X-men (The book isn't exactly bad, but its sad when a character's arm gets blown off and all I can do is laugh and say good! Its not in good shape)

New character: Clor (An evil clone of a superhero, wow thats never been done before roll eyes (sarcastic) )

Fight: Namor vs Wolverine (Wolverine #45) (Runner Up: Wolverine vs Hellion, Cyclops, Emma and Cap; Wolverine Origins #5)

Cliffhanger: Black Panther #23 (Wow, Tony is going to sick Clor on BP and Storm?!? Only Hudlin could think of such a stupid plot idea than this. Hopefully Clor and Storm will kill each other)

Writer: Reggie Hudlin (A man with no respect for characters or common sense at all. Simply writes based on his obscure racist and bias views)

Artist: Rob Liefield (A poor man's Jim Lee)

Writer/artist combination: - Loeb/Liefield (Onslaught Reborn)

Cover art: Michal Turner (Justice League of America)

New series: Wolverine Origins (N'uff Said)

Miniseries: Ultimate Extinction (So let me get this straight, Surfer is a bunch of pointless silver things and Galactus is a bunch of little ships?....WTF?!?!)

Single issue: Black Panther #19 (Besides the cover, there is not one good thing about this issue. Hudlin remakes Marvel's greatest villain into a retarded racist to fit his own view on the character which means sh*t to anyone who has ever read a comic with Doom before)

Graphic novel: Black Panther: Civil War (And you thought a awful series couldn't get worse? Pick up this TPB and you'll only find Hudlin's retarded views on Doom, the Inhumans and Namor as well as some equally stupid CW stuff)

Event or crossover: Onslaught Reborn (Why Marvel? Why? Who the hell thought: Hey lets bring back that crappy 90's villan and that crappy 90's event that got completely retconned for good reason?!?)

Overall ongoing comic: Black Panther (Enjoy a comic with filled with racist and completely retarded interpretations of Marvel characters with plots and dialog that would embarrass as Middle School student? Look no further then Reggie Hudlin's piece of garbage)

Company: Marvel (Clor?!? Onslaught Reborn?!? Wolverine Origins?!? Letting Hudlin continue writing Black Panther?!? Canceling Nextwave and Thing?!? DC may exploit Batwoman for free promotion, but not even they screwed up as much as Marvel in 06'

pr1983
Hero: Bit of favouritism here, but i have to go with Cyclops. Whedon has completely done a 180 on him, having him go from being under Emma's thumb back to the leader he once was, but BETTER. and that 'i don't have any claws' line... thats some damn good stuff....

Villain: Joker probably... Xavier is also becoming an evil son of a b*tch...

Team: Astonishing X-Men

New character: None come to mind...

Fight: Emma v Shadowcat, Superman v Lex (at the end of 'up, up and away'), or of course, the last pages of IC

Cliffhanger: Cyclops going all foamy with his eyes wide open...

Writer: Whedon...

Artist: Benes... Churchill is also pretty good, he makes Supergirl readable...

Writer/artist combination: Meltzer and Benes (so far)

Cover art: The Astonishing X-Men with the scared logan on the front... even though i'm not a huge cassaday fan that was gold... the IC one with all the GL's swarming toward SPB...

New series: JLA (JSA looks good also)

Miniseries: All Star Superman

Single issue: Infinte Holiday Special (genuinely brought a smile to my face)

Graphic novel: The Definitive Shi...

Event or crossover: IC i guess...

Overall best ongoing comic: Astonishing X-Men, All Star Superman

Company: DC...

Got da virus
Best Writer : Geoff Johns (For writing the crisis, and virtually every other D.C. book at the moment)

Best Ongoing : The Runaways, I was going to give this to Superman, but i read the last 12 issues of the Runaways and decided to change my mind. Plus its actually out on time, always.

Worst Ongoing: Mann, hasn't the OYL flash just been absolutely CRAP ?

Best Bi monthly (only fair we had one, seeing as most of the best books are bi monthlies): the Ultimates (the run has contained two of my favourite issues ever published, pitty its never out on time).

Best Mini series : The Eternal (Although Annihilation comes a close second)

Worst Mini: Has to be between Drax and the Sentry's.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.