Justice League of America #5 (Spoilers)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

batdude123
This issue is pretty good. We find out Solomon Grundy's plans about gaining the powers of Amazo w/ Red Tornado's adroid body, so he can become immortal. This is because Professor Ivo doesn't want to be a part of the "thirteen" and wants to finally die. At the end, the JLA was standing in front of AMAZO on the last page ready to fight him. This is a good transition to JLA #6.

What did you guys think of it?

Lucid Lui
Yeah it's a pretty good issue. Nice to see most of the team together.

I'm interested in what gonna happen between Solomon and Tornado.

Grimm22
Yeah i'm confused about whats going on with Soloman and Tornado confused

I don't know if they are going to fight or what

Lucid Lui
I think they're trying to tease a fight, but that's not what'll happen. Those two will probably go off and do something that'll be instrumental in Amazo's defeat or somesuch like that.

Got da virus
I love it how its taken 5 bloody issues for any real action to happen, how very Bendis Esq.

And Identity Crisis was so good. sad

pr1983
i thought the last page was sweet... cant wait for #6...

inks still annoy me in places though...

nice moment between bats and hal, the little trace of a smile on hal's face...

marvelprince
I liked Roy and Kendra. I see romance in the future for those two and given Hawkman's feelings for Kendra plus his SERIOUS dislike of Green Arrow I think it'd be interesting to say the least

Darth Vicious
I love Ed Benes art, he draws beautiful women. I liked this latest incarnation of Solomon, kinda reminds me of the Hulk as Maestro.

marvelprince
Actually Benes Grundy reminds me of the Joe-Fixit Hulk

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by marvelprince
Actually Benes Grundy reminds me of the Joe-Fixit Hulk

I think a mix of both. Joe-Fixit wasnt as smart as Maestro.

db_renji
I love this book right now. I like Brad Meltzer's writing style, it actually makes me care about the characters. Plus, i am luving Ed Benes' art, he is fantastic. I hope that have a very long long run on the book. Great book, not as good as say Identity Crisis, but has a lot of potential.

TricksterPriest
I must say, Grundy has good taste in suits. Very little action, but great dialogue. I like the overall plot direction. More action looks like it's coming up. Also, isn't Grundy quasi-immortal already? Isn't he some kind of zombie that ressurects everytime he gets killed?

pr1983
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
I must say, Grundy has good taste in suits. Very little action, but great dialogue. I like the overall plot direction. More action looks like it's coming up. Also, isn't Grundy quasi-immortal already? Isn't he some kind of zombie that ressurects everytime he gets killed?

yeah, but i think he wants to keep his newfound intelligence...

marvelprince
Originally posted by TricksterPriest

Yea but everytime he dies he comes back with a new personality. He's smart enough now to not wanna have to go through that again

Got da virus
I liked Roy and Kendra. I see romance in the future for those two and given Hawkman's feelings for Kendra plus his SERIOUS dislike of Green Arrow I think it'd be interesting to say the least

Roy's and absolute player, i see him getting into everyones spandex by the end of the series, with the exception of Black Canary, whose basically his mother. (That includes Hal)

marvelprince
Originally posted by Got da virus
Roy's and absolute player, i see him getting into everyones spandex by the end of the series, with the exception of Black Canary, whose basically his mother. (That includes Hal)

Well I know that but somehow I don't see him jumping in with Kendra for one night then never calling her again. I'm thinking relationship for this too (though given Roy's history I can see why this is hard to imagine)

Doctor S.T.D.
Well I know that but somehow I don't see him jumping in with Kendra for one night then never calling her again. I'm thinking relationship for this too (though given Roy's history I can see why this is hard to imagine)

Yes, she would probably Neuter him, if he did that. The same applies to Dianna, Metzlers did say something about trying to develop the relationship between her and Bruce. Although i predict it wont last , as Metzlers run is only 12 issues.

Validus
I like this book a lot but it would have been better if the Big 3 didn't spend 3 issues talking around a table. The same thing was done with the same effect in JSA and it only took a couple of pages. Meltzer's dialogue is excellent but my patience for his storytelling style wears thin.

batdude123
Originally posted by Validus
I like this book a lot but it would have been better if the Big 3 didn't spend 3 issues talking around a table. The same thing was done with the same effect in JSA and it only took a couple of pages. Meltzer's dialogue is excellent but my patience for his storytelling style wears thin.

That plus the whole involvement with Red Tornado's family I could do without.

Lucid Lui
The Red Tornado stuff wouldn't be as effective without the involvement of Kathy and Traya. That whole story's being handled very well IMO.

Though i'm enjoying the Hal/Roy/Dinah interaction most so far.

batdude123
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
The Red Tornado stuff wouldn't be as effective without the involvement of Kathy and Traya. That whole story's being handled very well IMO.

The story is great, but I could still do w/o the involvement with RT's family. It seems just.... blah.

Agreed. Especially when they faced the Red Tornado army together.

Grimm22

I was thinking about that too

marvelprince

I agree. The book is good but moving at a snails pace. JSA got the team together in an issue.

Originally posted by batdude123
That plus the whole involvement with Red Tornado's family I could do without.

Actually I feel the family involvement is one of the more important elements of the story. It is Tornado's Path afterall so really he and his family should be the focal point, not the Big 3 sitting around

Validus
I'd trade all the scenes of the Big 3 sitting around and discussing who should be in their cool kids club for more scenes of Tornado's family in a heartbeat. RT is a potentially awesome character with cool powers so more exploration into his character is certainly welcome.

Grimm22
I'd trade all the scenes of the Big 3 sitting around and discussing who should be in their cool kids club for more scenes of Tornado's family in a heartbeat. RT is a potentially awesome character with cool powers so more exploration into his character is certainly welcome.

Agreed yes

Tornado is another one of those DC characters who could definitly fit into the MU no problem

batdude123
Actually I feel the family involvement is one of the more important elements of the story. It is Tornado's Path afterall so really he and his family should be the focal point, not the Big 3 sitting around

It's important, but it can be done better imo.

I find myself wanting to see some fighting, and after 5 issues of his family worrying about him being human, or him being an android.... blah blah blah

Idk, it just seems monotonous to me. erm

Validus
Originally posted by Grimm22
Agreed yes

Tornado is another one of those DC characters who could definitly fit into the MU no problem
God, shut up.

Grimm22
God, shut up.

Them be fightin' words bub boxing

batdude123
Them be fightin' words bub boxing

He simply stated that because your post attests to the kind of Marvel biased people here.

Grimm22
He simply stated that because your post attests to the kind of Marvel biased people here.

Oh I see stick out tongue

Martian_mind
I'm outraged,seriously a league without jonn no I mean he never really made waves in the older series but if you look closely he always saved the day in his small way.

batdude123
Originally posted by Martian_mind
I'm outraged,seriously a league without jonn no I mean he never really made waves in the older series but if you look closely he always saved the day in his small way.

And w/o a Flash as well.

I agree that they should have J'onn on the team.

I mean BLACK LIGHTNING for Christ's sake? Yeah...

Martian_mind
And w/o a Flash as well.

I agree that they should have J'onn on the team.

I mean BLACK LIGHTNING for Christ's sake? Yeah...

I haven't read it yet,but you mean they actually have Black Lightning?Against the kind of people the JLA fight what use is some guy who shoots electricity!! but still i would like to see him go up against Despero evil face Coincidentally what JLA arc did they fight Quantum Mechanics in?

Validus
Not to mention Geo Force...

I don't mind new people getting chance at being in the League but I do think theres a certain core, namely the Big 7, that should always be there. JLA is supposed to be the best of the best after all.

Beta Ray Howard
The roster does seem a little lacking. erm

It's not the worst comic out there, but it's not the best either.

Grimm22
well there are some substitutes for some of the bigger leauge members

Hawkgirl for Hawkman

Arsenal or "Red Arrow" for Green Arrow (which is fine because without Hawkman on the team GA would be a lot less interesting big grin)

Vixen is a cool addition I guess erm

Black Lightning is kind of a weird choice, especially his awful new costume (I'll take 70's noglastic anyday over his stupid new look)

Grimm22

I don't mind new people getting chance at being in the League but I do think theres a certain core, namely the Big 7, that should always be there. JLA is supposed to be the best of the best after all.

Yeah wtf is up with geo-force anyway?!? What the f**k?

And if it makes you feel any better Val, this weeks best books were all DC books (52, All Star Superman and Nightwing all rocked big grin)

And w/o a Flash as well.

Well I refuse to acknowledge Bart as the Flash right now.

If they ever remake the classic league I want Barry to be the Flash, not Wally (Even though they are both two of my favorite characters)

Devil Lance

hey Geo-Forvcce is cool he went toe to toe with Pre crsis Superman mad
and he rules his own country cool

Anways I was tired of the big 7 lineup I'm glad that the League is more varied this time around.

However JSA is >>>>>>>>> JLA by far

I'd even say that Eaglesham> Benes wink

Grimm22
Originally posted by Devil Lance
hey Geo-Forvcce is cool he went toe to toe with Pre crsis Superman mad
and he rules his own country cool

Anways I was tired of the big 7 lineup I'm glad that the League is more varied this time around.

However JSA is >>>>>>>>> JLA by far

Yeah, JSA shows far more promise than JLA right now

Maybe its because JLA is kind of predictable or maybe its because Micheal Turner's covers for JLA have been complete garbage for the most part, where Alex Ross's covers are fantastic big grin

Even though I have never read JSA before, I already love most of the characters (Stargirl, Wildcat, Hawkman and Powergirl are some of my favorites) Plus some new characters are really growing on me (Starman= DC's Deadpool wink , Cyclone is cool and Damage is badass) and I'm also intruged by Hourman, he seems like a cool character, but his powers confuse me erm

db_renji

Hey, what you talkin bout? mad

I think Vixen is going think Vixen is going to be a great addition. Screw Geo-Force. Meltzer needs a longer run, to fully develop the things he set in motion. I can live w/o Canary (never liked her).

Grimm22
Originally posted by db_renji

I think Vixen is going think Vixen is going to be a great addition. Screw Geo-Force. Meltzer needs a longer run, to fully develop the things he set in motion. I can live w/o Canary (never liked her).

The league needs at least one hot chick with fishnets no expression

Its a unwritten law of the JLA

And since Zatanna isn't on the team, Diana is the only other option

Lucid Lui
Vixen needs to stop assing around with birds and do something.

She's kind of annoying me...

Devil Lance
Originally posted by db_renji

Eaglesham can actually draw differnt faces

Benes especially when it comes to women can't
look at Black Canary and RT's wife their faces look almsot exactly the same .

The rest of his art is okay though wink

db_renji
"JSA, JSA." Everybody talkin about JSA. I mean it was alright, it wasn't all that or anything, but it was okay. (actually it was a really good first issue, but that's besides the point).

I'm supporting JLA over JSA anyday, (or at least tell they bring either Cap. Marvel or Black Adam to the book).

Really the only beef i got with JSA is that their roster is way too big, they need to cut it down.

But i do love the crazy Starman.

db_renji

You and your technicalities. Always talking about concepts like, variety and being different. I say if it aint borke dont fix it.

jrodslam
Vixen needs to stop assing around with birds and do something.

She's kind of annoying me...

laughing laughing laughing

I agree 100%

I also wanna say that this team doesnt seem as powerful to me. No Flash, no Manhunter? They should at least have a magic character just in case, cough....cough...Zatanna.

I do agree that it is different though and good to see that almost half of the team is female. I would have picked a different group, but its unique nonetheless.

Martian_mind
Meh Vixen is a punk,Jonn took her out in one hit in his mini last Issue

Grimm22
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Meh Vixen is a punk,Jonn took her out in one hit in his mini last Issue

Yeah because he's the motherf***ing Martian Manhunter no expression

That was awesome though big grin

J'ohn finally stopped jobbing and just owned her laughing

Martian_mind

thumb up Well Grimm just went up several Noches in my book

marvelprince
Actually I'm glad J'onn isn't on the team. The only purpose he really seemed to serve was to telepathically link the members, which could be remedied by getting all the members earpieces. Also he'll always be overshadowed in favor of Superman and I think after all his time in the league he needs a break. I would have liked a Flash on the team, but Bart still hasn't gotten his legs yet. I'm glad there are fresh faces and I'm also glad that this team isn't nigh invincible. One of the things that was so predictable and boring imo of the older JLA was that when a threat came they would just gather, lose an initial confrontation and then outmuscle the enemy. Heres hoping we see some actual team dynamics with these guys

Doctor S.T.D.
Actually I'm glad J'onn isn't on the team. The only purpose he really seemed to serve was to telepathically link the members, which could be remedied by getting all the members earpieces. Also he'll always be overshadowed in favor of Superman and I think after all his time in the league he needs a break. I would have liked a Flash on the team, but Bart still hasn't gotten his legs yet. I'm glad there are fresh faces and I'm also glad that this team isn't nigh invincible. One of the things that was so predictable and boring imo of the older JLA was that when a threat came they would just gather, lose an initial confrontation and then outmuscle the enemy. Heres hoping we see some actual team dynamics with these guys

Good Post, i totally agree, Jonn is a waste of a character as a Good guy. He's too powerful to make good stories about, especially when he has to play second fiddle to the Kryptonian whose rationally looses to him every time.

pr1983

no. it was that way because he was drawing it as being from rt's perspective, he was mistaking canary for his wife... stick out tongue

i dunno about the lineup, i really wanted to see ollie and hal on the same team... vixen, i dunno... black lightning... meh...

Originally posted by Doctor S.T.D.
Good Post, i totally agree, Jonn is a waste of a character as a Good guy. He's too powerful to make good stories about, especially when he has to play second fiddle to the Kryptonian whose rationally looses to him every time.

if you mean what i think you mean, then no... stick out tongue

Validus
Yeah wtf is up with geo-force anyway?!? What the f**k?

And if it makes you feel any better Val, this weeks best books were all DC books (52, All Star Superman and Nightwing all rocked big grin)

You redeemed yourself with that sig.

Grimm22
You redeemed yourself with that sig.

Hell yeah! rock

Its too bad that they are probably going to lose to San Diego if they make it to the Super Bowl sad

Validus
Hell yeah! rock

Its too bad that they are probably going to lose to San Diego if they make it to the Super Bowl sad
NE will beat SD next week. big grin

Grimm22
NE will beat SD next week. big grin

I wish erm

But I sincerely doubt it right now

marvelprince
I'm thinking we'll see an upset and the Pats will win. Can't shake that feeling

Validus
I wouldn't even consider it an upset. Chargers have the worst big game coach in the NFL and the Pats have one of the best ever along with the best big game QB in the league.

marvelprince
I wouldn't even consider it an upset. Chargers have the worst big game coach in the NFL and the Pats have one of the best ever along with the best big game QB in the league.

Just saying. Chargers coaching may leave a lot to be desired but they have one of the best records in the league and play consistently. Brady is always good to go but the rest of the team have faltered throughout the season

Validus
Just saying. Chargers coaching may leave a lot to be desired but they have one of the best records in the league and play consistently. Brady is always good to go but the rest of the team have faltered throughout the season
The Chargers are a more talented team. I know that but Belichick/Brady are hard to go against in January. I look at it as 50/50 but if I had to bet, I'd go with the Pats.

Deathstroke
Did anyone else feel kinda bad for Amazo when he went from "Situation: Love", to getting blasted, to "Situation: Pain" with tears running down his face?

Oh yeah, and Go Colts!

batdude123
Originally posted by Deathstroke
Oh yeah, and Go Colts!

HELL YEAH!!!! rock

nimbus006
Did anyone else feel kinda bad for Amazo when he went from "Situation: Love", to getting blasted, to "Situation: Pain" with tears running down his face?

Yes actually...very bad. But i feel sorry for the Supes and Co. when he takes out his depressive frustrations on them.

Question: What the HELL is Vixen doing? Im so confused right now with her character, all i see her doing is flying around with a bunch of birds screaming GAH! GAH! Can someone explain the meaning of this behavior?

marvelprince
Originally posted by nimbus006
Yes actually...very bad. But i feel sorry for the Supes and Co. when he takes out his depressive frustrations on them.

Question: What the HELL is Vixen doing? Im so confused right now with her character, all i see her doing is flying around with a bunch of birds screaming GAH! GAH! Can someone explain the meaning of this behavior?

Sure. Since she's lost her totem its hard for her to focus the animal spirits she uses. She's trying to track it down and the "gahs" are the crow's brain threatening to overwhelm her. Without her totem there's a chance the animal's behavior could override her own, so since she's been separated from it we see her struggling to maintain control

Blair Wind
I see Bears, Colts fans are here.

Go Pats!! big grin

King_Mungi
I love how the Cowboys blew their game to the Seahawks at the very end. They so had that field goal opportunity.

TricksterPriest
I thought it was more Romo choking right at the end. I think there has been a singular omission. Nobody's talking about the Baltimore Ravens. stick out tongue The Colts aren't beating the Ravens. You see, Baltimore vs. Indiannapolis is a RIVALRY game. The Colts used to be the Baltimore Colts, until the owner sold the team and moved them to Indy. Indy did not have a team prior to that. So the Ravens were started as an expansion team. There's alot of resentment for Indy stealing their team in Baltimore. I predict Saints/Bears vs. Ravens for the superbowl. Chargers are the dark horse against the Raven's D.

Deathstroke
Until recently I didn't know that Baltimore fans were still that po'ed about the move. I figured when they won the super bowl in 2000(?) that it would've helped them get over it. It'll no doubt be an intense game though. If the defense can put together another decent game I think the colts can win. I don't see Peyton having back to back bad games.

Validus
Baltimore has to be the most ignored "good" team in the league. laughing out loud

King_Mungi

Summed it up very nicely to how I feel as well

Vixen is getting on my nerves though, and Red Arrow and Hawkgirl better not hook up though.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by King_Mungi
Summed it up very nicely to how I feel as well

Vixen is getting on my nerves though, and Red Arrow and Hawkgirl better not hook up though. Are they actually going to start calling Roy the Red Arrow?

Deathstroke
I wish they'd keep Arsenal, but it seems like they'll start using Red Arrow.

Validus
Arsenal is a bit of a 90s name if you know what I mean. Red Arrow isn't any better though.

Deathstroke
I see what you mean about the 90s thing. The main problem I have with Red Arrow is that there's already two "Blacks" on the team (Black Lightning and Black Canary) why do we need two "Reds".

King_Mungi
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Are they actually going to start calling Roy the Red Arrow?

They already have, Hal has called him that multiple times already

xmarksthespot
They already have, Hal has called him that multiple times already Yeah, I know Hal's calling him that but I'm not sure if anyone else is going to.

marvelprince
I love how the Cowboys blew their game to the Seahawks at the very end. They so had that field goal opportunity.

Yup. I was in a bar watching it and wanted to kick Romo in the head when he messed up the set up. Sutff happens I guess

I see what you mean about the 90s thing. The main problem I have with Red Arrow is that there's already two "Blacks" on the team (Black Lightning and Black Canary) why do we need two "Reds".

Well now there'll be a balance of colours.

Martian_mind
Why don't they start calling him speedy again?i mean given the drug addiction it's sort of fitting.

nimbus006
Sure. Since she's lost her totem its hard for her to focus the animal spirits she uses. She's trying to track it down and the "gahs" are the crow's brain threatening to overwhelm her. Without her totem there's a chance the animal's behavior could override her own, so since she's been separated from it we see her struggling to maintain control

Oh well that makes alot more sense now. Thank you. smile

Juntai
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Yeah, I know Hal's calling him that but I'm not sure if anyone else is going to. I think it's just Hal cracking jokes.

marvelprince
Originally posted by Juntai
I think it's just Hal cracking jokes.

I think its just Hal is so used to calling him Roy and having Green Arrow by his side so instead of Arsenal when he starts to say Roy he switched it to Red Arrow and it just stuck. Personally I like it and the supposed new costume

Juntai
The teambooksand GL stuff seem to be carrying DC right now... .outside of 52, which has just made an obsurd about of money by itself.

Deathstroke
Yeah, 52 sells around 105,000 every issue. If that stays the same it'll end up selling around 5.5 million issues by the time it's done, and at $2.50 a pop that's some serious money.

Grimm22

Oh yeah, and Go Colts!

The colts are WAY too cocky

They have a horrible defense and their running game isn't nearly as good as their passing game.

Against the top rated defense in the league, plus an offense led by Steve Mcnair, I'll put my money on the Ravens

And the Ravens are going to lose to either the Pats or the Chargers in the division championship

The Bears will beat the Seahawks and The Saints will beat the Eagles and the Saints will beat the Bears in the NFC Championship sad

HandOfFate

That was a very weird encounter to me, seeing that Vixen has a close bond with Manhunter. J'onn is probably the only memeber of the JLA who she consider a close friend (maybe Batman but that a whole other story). confused

Doctor S.T.D.
God, shut up.

I would have advised him to maybe inject himself with cyanide, or eat the Meatball Mariana from Subway. Both will probably have the same effect.

Doctor S.T.D.
Originally posted by pr1983

if you mean what i think you mean, then no... stick out tongue

What do u think i mean ?

pr1983
Originally posted by Doctor S.T.D.
What do u think i mean ?

that in general terms mm>>>>>>>superman... stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.