TPM Darth Maul & Qui-Gon vs. AOTC Obi-Wan & Anakin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nikkolas
Who wins? All-out fight in the hanger where Dooku fought Obi and Anakin.

General Kenobl
Good thread. Maul is greater than both his two opponents. Qui-Gon Jinn I would say is as strong as AOTC Obi-Wan, but not better.

I say that Maul kills either Anakin. AOTC Obi-Wan kills QGj. Maul then cleans house from there.

darthsith19
Maul and Qui-Gon pwn. Maul alone could do this: In TPM he faught Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan two on one and t was pretty much a stalemate until the last two seconds. That was when he wasn't at his full strength. TPM Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon > AOTC Obi-Wan and Anakin. Maul'd take them. But with Qui-Gin on his side? Qui-Gon takes Obi-Wan while Maul pwns Anakin.

jollyjim311
^ Yup.

Maybe if it was ROTS Obi Wan, or you traded Anakin for Qui Gon... well, at least it would be closer.

The Sith'ari
Yeah, what they said.

Gideon
I don't know.

Maul would definately make this duel long, as he is still likely more skilled (and he is physically more powerful and trained) than either opponent. But, obviously, Obi-Wan has increased his skills by a decade's worth of training and is more powerful than his TPM opponent. And, I've argued before, AotC Anakin is at least AotC Obi-Wan's equal in sheer swordsmanship and ability (though the mental and tactical advantage and experience is still in Obi-Wan's favor by a considerable amount) - as shown when he was the one giving Count Dooku a noteworthy bit of difficulty in AotC, according to the novelization, the databank, and several other sources.

However, Anakin is more physically powerful than Qui-Gon (which was one of Qui-Gon's major disadvantages). I'd say that if the two of them worked together (which they are capable of doing) they'd win this fight - albeit with difficulty. Otherwise, I'd say Maul wins with moderate difficulty.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Maul and Qui-Gon win.

Count Makashi
Maul and Qui-Gon would probably win, but you seem to forget that Anakin and Obi-Wan spent 10 years together, they know each others moves well, while on the other side Maul and Qui-Gon wouldn't be a good team, they don't know each aether and they would have a hard time working together, because of Mauls double bladed saber. If OBi and Anakin fight with smart tactics, they could win, but Anakin is the weak link here, he can be easily provoked and therefore loses hes calm and fights reclesly.

kamikz
I agree. But I do think that this kind of battle will force it into a 1 on 1 on both sides, it is highly likley, and that will bring Qui-Gon and Maul to a quick victory.
I do however, think that neither Qui nor Maul is going to have an easy time against Anakin, being very dangerous when fighting with all his strenght (so that even Dooku had to fight very concentrated). But M and Q win...

Darth_noodle
AOTC Kenobi and AOTC Anakin win.

AOTC Kenobi would take on Maul, while AOTC Anakin would take on qui gon, it would be a long fight, but in the end AOTC Anakin would win because he is so much younger, and Qui gon would get tired out. After that AOTC Anakin and Kenobi would double team on maul, and kill him.

GahLakTus
Originally posted by Darth_noodle
AOTC Kenobi and AOTC Anakin win.

AOTC Kenobi would take on Maul, while AOTC Anakin would take on qui gon, it would be a long fight, but in the end AOTC Anakin would win because he is so much younger, and Qui gon would get tired out. After that AOTC Anakin and Kenobi would double team on maul, and kill him. Lol he would win because "he is so much younger"? Then i guess luke skywalker as of TESB would OWN vader because he is "far younger".

Darth Martin
Maul and Qui Gon.

Maul is the best swordsmen in my opinion from the movies and Qui Gon>AotC Obi Wan.

Man of Christ
IM going with the aotc team. Maul's dueling style with a double blae and wide swings would make him a sucky tag team partner. plus.
1) tpm obi beat maul so what chance does maul have against aotc obi.
2)qui gons age would hinder him against a young vivacious anakin.

Man of Christ
And EVERYBODY IN THIS FORUM NEEDS TO STOP ACTING LIKE MAUL IS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICE BREAD. IF HE WERE SO GREAT HE WOULD HAVE SURVIVED LONG ENOUGH TO BE IN THE SEQUEL TRILOGY BUT HE IS THE ONLY SITH TO HAVE DIED AFTER ONE MOVIE. SIDDIOUS ALL SIX MOVIES. VADER FOUR MOVIES. DOOKU TWO MOVIES. BUT MAUL ONLY ONE MOVIE.

Darth_noodle
Originally posted by GahLakTus
Lol he would win because "he is so much younger"? Then i guess luke skywalker as of TESB would OWN vader because he is "far younger".

Ok, seriouslly, you need to shut up and learn how to read. Maybe you should go back to first grade, they might actually teach you something!

I said that AOTC Anakin would own qui gon because he has a far greater stamina than qui gon does. Did you see how Maul got qui gon tired so quick? thats the same thing that would happen if AOTC Anakin fought qui gon.

GahLakTus
Ok, seriouslly, you need to shut up and learn how to read. Maybe you should go back to first grade, they might actually teach you something!
I think your the one who needs to learn how to read seeing that you couldn't even read that i stated mace is superior to vader in saber combat, or the fact that i said i DO have a life and clearly elaborated how.

If i cant read your pathetic arguements, its most likely its because you don't make sense

I said that AOTC Anakin would own qui gon because he has a far greater stamina than qui gon does. Did you see how Maul got qui gon tired so quick? thats the same thing that would happen if AOTC Anakin fought qui gon. Exactly, and TESB luke skywalker has MORE stamina than vader which you claim is a shitty ass weak sith lord, so why didn't he defeat him as of TESB?

Yoda is 800 friggin years old, yet he wasn't tired when fighting dooku or palpatine.

Darth_noodle
Originally posted by GahLakTus
I think your the one who needs to learn how to read seeing that you couldn't even read that i stated mace is superior to vader in saber combat, or the fact that i said i DO have a life and clearly elaborated how.

If i cant read your pathetic arguements, its most likely its because you don't make sense

Exactly, and TESB luke skywalker has MORE stamina than vader which you claim is a shitty ass weak sith lord, so why didn't he defeat him as of TESB?

Yoda is 800 friggin years old, yet he wasn't tired when fighting dooku or palpatine.

Because luke did not have the experience, nor the skills to defeat vader. Stamina is only one aspect that luke has which is better than vader, vader was still the better swordsman, and force user. Use your common sense if you have any.

GahLakTus
Because luke did not have the experience, nor the skills to defeat vader. Stamina is only one aspect that luke has which is better than vader, vader was still the better swordsman, and force user. Use your common sense if you have any.

Lol and quigon has more experience and skill compared to AOTC anakin and you said anakin would win because he has more stamina.

Now your contradicting yourself by saying it involves other aspect like skill and experience.

Oh and prove lukes stamina is greater than vader seeing how he got so tired in TESB despite vader merely toying with him.

Hell yoda who is 800 years old wasnt tired during his duel with palpatine, somebody much younger.

darthsith19
This is ridiculous, Maul beat te Jedi that was referred to as "the Order's finest swordsman" (Anoon Bondara), he took out all of Black Sun at once, and he took on Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan at the same time and held his own, and this was with an injured ankle. Unless Kenobi gets lucky again, Maul has him down good. And seeing as this is in the Geonosian Hanger, where there are no holes in the floor or rivers of lava, I don't see how Kenobi could get lucky. As for Anakin and Qui-Gon, age doesn't mean sh*t, Vader owned Luke in ESB, Dooku whooped Kenobi's ass and Anakin's ass and he is more than twice as old as either of them. Plus look at Yoda. Qui-Gon's lightsaber instructor said Qui-Gon was the best swordsman he'd seen in over 400 years. Qui-Gon was supposed to be one of the best swordsmen in the TPM Jedi Order. Anakin is good, but by AOTC he isn't one of the best yet. Plus, Anakin's more likely than not to get cocky right away and get f*cked up quickly, like he did against Dooku. Jinn takes him out.

vader11
Maul & Oui Gon win imo.

Se7in
Originally posted by darthsith19
this is in the Geonosian Hanger, where there are no holes in the floor or rivers of lava, I don't see how Kenobi could get lucky.

Kenobi "getting lucky" happened more than 10 years before his status in this fight. Are you saying Kenobi, who had Maul on his ass, arguably keeping up with him, and nearly managing to kill him, got lucky because Maul kicked him in a hole? If anyone got lucky, it was Maul.

Second of all, Obi-Wan has completely not only redefined his fighting style since that fight, but also has become an accomplished Jedi Knight within that time.

darthsith19
Originally posted by Se7in
Kenobi "getting lucky" happened more than 10 years before his status in this fight. Are you saying Kenobi, who had Maul on his ass, arguably keeping up with him, and nearly managing to kill him, got lucky because Maul kicked him in a hole? If anyone got lucky, it was Maul.

Second of all, Obi-Wan has completely not only redefined his fighting style since that fight, but also has become an accomplished Jedi Knight within that time.
He didn't exactly redefine his fighting style, he took up an entirely new lightsaber forum so he had to pretty much start over again with a saber. He had ten years to learn Soresu, he probably had more time than that to learn Ataru originally. He may have became an accomplished Jedi, but nowhere near the level of someone who is "the finest swordsman in the order".

How did Maul get lucky? Kenobi could only keep up with him so well because he was fighting with the dark side, and, as stated before, Maul had an ankle injury. After a mere 30 seconds, Kenobi's efforts left him exhausted (stated in the TPM script, I can get you a quote if you want one) and Maul kicked him in the pit. Had the pit not been there, Maul would have stabbed him instead, hence why Obi-Wan got lucky.

Count Makashi
I think Maul and Qui-Gon are better then Anakin and Obi-Wan, not by allot, but still better. But AOTC duo has a better teamwork.
Personally i think Maul and Qui-Gon win, mostly because of Anakins hot temper at this time, he would lose control, just like with Dooku and do something stupid.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Man of Christ
IM going with the aotc team. Maul's dueling style with a double blae and wide swings would make him a sucky tag team partner. plus.
1) tpm obi beat maul so what chance does maul have against aotc obi.
2)qui gons age would hinder him against a young vivacious anakin. This is 2on2 not 2on1 Maul's saber would pwn Kenobi 1on1. I don't even think Kenobi would put up a good fight. If Qui Gon couldn't kill Anakin he could surely hold him off until Maul did him in. Maul could likely sol this.

Se7in
Originally posted by darthsith19
He didn't exactly redefine his fighting style, he took up an entirely new lightsaber forum so he had to pretty much start over again with a saber. He had ten years to learn Soresu, he probably had more time than that to learn Ataru originally. He may have became an accomplished Jedi, but nowhere near the level of someone who is "the finest swordsman in the order".

Ataru is a form which focuses offensive acrobatics and Force-assisted movements, greatly draining the user physically, hence why both he, Qui-Gon, and Yoda all become extremely tired after fights, which directly lead to Qui-Gon's death.

Soresu is a form focusing on creating a defense which can be maintained with minimal energy in order to prolong fighting in order to allow the opponent to either tire out or reveal a flaw in their fighting style.

They sound like complete opposites to me. I think redefining is an accurate description.

And again with these references to this Anoon Bondara character. Cin Drallig was described as the same way, yet look at how he was rather easily defeated by Anakin and then look at how Obi fared against Vader on Mustafar, yet we've heard no quotes of Kenobi's skill (at least in my experience). The quote is moot in my opinion.

Maul got lucky because there was a hole to kick Kenobi into. Maul was planted on his ass, and he barely managed to get back up in time, but did. However when Kenobi was kicked down, he managed to fall into a hole. Maul got lucky. And as far as had the pit not been there, we don't know whether or not Maul would stabbed him. That's pure speculation. Knocking him into the hole guaranteed him an advantageous position.

And again, Kenobi's stamina in TPM has nothing to do with this fight. This is 10 years later, and he has a great deal much more experience as well as a fighting style that helps him maintain stamina.

Darth Martin
Why does everyone keep going on and on about how Kenobi knocked Maul on his ***. Maul was knocking BOTH Jinn and Kenobi on their butts CONTINUOUSLY throughout the whole fight.

Count Makashi

Maul got lucky because there was a hole to kick Kenobi into. Maul was planted on his ass, and he barely managed to get back up in time, but did. However when Kenobi was kicked down, he managed to fall into a hole. Maul got lucky. And as far as had the pit not been there, we don't know whether or not Maul would stabbed him. That's pure speculation. Knocking him into the hole guaranteed him an advantageous position.

Would you then say, that ROTJ Luke is better or close to OT Vader, because the almost same thing happened in that fight, just that Vader didn't get back up.

In both scenarios, the stronger opponent(Maul and Vader), were surprised, at how strong and determined, their weaker opponents(Obi-Wan and Luke) came at them. It was under special circumstances.
But in a normal fight, both Sith Lords would easily kill their opponents.

And the TPM novel makes it clear, that Maul>Qui-Gon and Qui-Gon>TPM Kenobi.

Se7in
Originally posted by Count Makashi
Would you then say, that ROTJ Luke is better or close to OT Vader, because the almost same thing happened in that fight, just that Vader didn't get back up.

In both scenarios, the stronger opponent(Maul and Vader), were surprised, at how strong and determined, their weaker opponents(Obi-Wan and Luke) came at them. It was under special circumstances.
But in a normal fight, both Sith Lords would easily kill their opponents.

And the TPM novel makes it clear, that Maul>Qui-Gon and Qui-Gon>TPM Kenobi.

A>B, B>C, therefore A>C logic doesn't work well in Star Wars. Anakin beat Dooku, but Dooku beat Obi-Wan, who beat Anakin. It doesn't work, just as it won't work with Yoda, Mace, and Sidious.

Vader and Luke had a relationship, which Vader knew of and took into account. It's well known that Vader tried to convert Luke, not kill him. Maul and Obi-Wan had never met and were complete enemies. I'll admit, Obi-Wan's win was unorthodox, but he managed to come back while at an extreme disadvantage. I think Obi's comeback speaks equally of both his abilities and Maul's arrogance.

Darth Martin
It's not the fact that Maul> them individually he was beating the crap outta both the entire duel. Kenobi could only match Maul for awhile after he gave in to the Dark Side. Andd Maul still beat Kenobi only to have Lucas pull off one of the most stupid comeback miracles in history just because the series couldn't continue w/o Kenobi.

Se7in
Originally posted by Darth Martin
It's not the fact that Maul> them individually he was beating the crap outta both the entire duel. Kenobi could only match Maul for awhile after he gave in to the Dark Side. Andd Maul still beat Kenobi only to have Lucas pull off one of the most stupid comeback miracles in history just because the series couldn't continue w/o Kenobi.

Beating the crap out of them both? I disagree, he was winning, but not by any huge margin. He managed to knock Obi-Wan down and separate them for the majority of the fight, and was backhanded and knocked on his ass by Qui-Gon and again with a kick to the chest by Obi. Just because Maul used fancy acrobatics doesn't mean he was winning the entire duel.

The duel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eTWnbSDJYw

Obi-Wan managed to overpower Maul at 3:48, again at 3:58, chop his saber in half at the 4:00 mark and subsequently knock him on his ass. The only time Obi-Wan does get knocked back at the fight, is at 4:07, in which he completely recovers instantly. Only 4:21 does Maul take the advantage, and only because there was a hole behind him. Other than that, Obi seems to have the entire fight within his grasp.

But that was Obi over 10 years before his status in this fight. Given he has had experience fighting by Maul and Qui-Gon by this time, and a completely new style, Maul and Qui-Gon go down comfortably. Adding Anakin to the fight is overkill.

Count Makashi
A>B, B>C, therefore A>C logic doesn't work well in Star Wars. Anakin beat Dooku, but Dooku beat Obi-Wan, who beat Anakin. It doesn't work, just as it won't work with Yoda, Mace, and Sidious.

Vader and Luke had a relationship, which Vader knew of and took into account. It's well known that Vader tried to convert Luke, not kill him. Maul and Obi-Wan had never met and were complete enemies. I'll admit, Obi-Wan's win was unorthodox, but he managed to come back while at an extreme disadvantage. I think Obi's comeback speaks equally of both his abilities and Maul's arrogance.

You have a point, but the case with Maul/Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan isn't a A>B>C argument. Maul defeated both opponents, but lost his life because of special circumstances., Obi -Wan was already defeated.
But i admit, that his comeback, was a real show of skill.

Its true that Vader, didn't want to kill Luke, but Luke also didn't want to kill Vader, because he wanted to turn him back to the light. Its only when Vader said he will turn Lea, to the Dark Side, that Luke got angry and in that fury, had no though about Vaders safety, but Vader was giving his best, just to stay alive. And Luke could have killed him, if he wanted to, he had him at his mercy.c Does that mean Luke is better then Vader, hell no. Vader(like Maul) was just surprised at how strong, his opponent came at him, but in normal circumstances, both Sith Lords, would have killed their younger opponents easily.

Darth Martin
Yes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.