Some of the interviews from DMC and AWE

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

pirate_1987
On the fringes of Captain Jack's adventure, Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan are back trying to consummate their relationship. With their wedding interrupted because of their dealings with Jack, they are on a far more personal quest to catch up with him again.

"Elizabeth and Will, their love was sort of infantile in the first movie," says Verbinski. "It was very cute and pure and they are growing up. In looking at where we are going to end up in the third movie, I think the second movie is where they have to deal with real issues of love. I think in the first movie it was more storybook love. It was sort of, 'Oh, isn't that cute.' It hits all the traditional buttons, but it doesn't take you anywhere, because it's not that complicated. In the second movie, we are dealing with real life. You deal with jealousy, you deal with how they are going to end up. For them to survive, it's an interesting parallel which gets more elaborated in the third film which is the love story of Davey Jones and why did he pull out his heart? And how that relates to the love story of Elizabeth and Will. I mean, are they same path and are they going to pull out of that nosedive and what's going to happen? It's just important that the love story became more complicated. A marriage has to survive. It doesn't exist in that storybook world."

It requires Will to be more of a man of action. "He goes from being a straight-laced kind of upright stick in the mud to becoming more of a bit of a pirate in this one, thankfully," said Bloom. "It was kind of like discovering my inner pirate for the first time in a way."

Despite the additional peril this journey puts his character in, Bloom never felt unsafe. "Danger isn't the right word because it's a set. It's a controlled environment. It's fun. It's hard. Running backwards on top of a wheel was really difficult as it's rolling down a hill, but no danger."

Captain Jack actually changes the least. Perhaps he's the anchor to the story, pun intended. "It's a really tricky one with Captain Jack, because I don't think he's the kind of character that you want to give a tremendous arc to," say Verbinski. "He succeeds. He's such a piece of garlic in the soup that you need seven straight men against him. He can't just rub against one. He needs to rub against a series of archetypes and a series of plot constructs. You have to somewhat make the movie without him and then put him in. Because if you just made the Johnny Depp movie it's just too much of one flavor. You need some kind of broth to put it into."

For Depp though, there was a slight growth. "Basically he's the same guy," Depp says. "There's a purity to the character. We've seen him panic, we've seen him on the run but this is the first time we've really seen him in mortal fear, really afraid for his life. Once Davy Jones says, 'Time's up, you've got to pay up,' there's real panic there and he knows the clock is ticking so that's what I was trying to do.'

Ultimately, the success of the original Pirates of the Caribbean set up impossible expectations for the sequel. "I think they are just impossible to manage," says Verbinski. "I think we have a lot of fun on this film and I think we are going to approach it as a fantastic ride and the characters are evolving and the story is evolving. I think hyped films always get blown way bigger, so at some point expectations are always going to be hard to deal with. I just think I'm not going to try to live up to those expectations, I'm going to try to live up to mine as I make the movie. And these are the films that I would like and these are the films I enjoy and these are the films that surprise me, because expectations are expectations. I don't think audiences want what they want; I think they want what they haven't imagined yet. I don't make shoes. I'm not trying to make something comfortable. I'm trying to make something that takes you to a different place, that isn't what you'd expect. I don't think people will be disappointed."

Mistypirate
I really don't like the sound of it, here we go back to that bump in the road CRAB.

PirateDiva
Ya especially that MARRIAGE HAS TO SURVIVE CRAP! That doesnt sound good at all for our J/L Ship!!! But I'm still keeping the Faith!!!big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.