M Night Shyamalan's "Avatar: The Last Airbender"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Silverstein
M. Night's Avatar?
Toon adaptation playing name game with Cameron flick.

January 9, 2007 - M. Night Shyamalan is making Avatar, but don't confuse this project with James Cameron's forthcoming feature. This Avatar is a live-action version of the animated children's series Avatar: The Last Airbender which airs on Nickelodeon.

Shyamalan, according to Variety, has signed a three-picture deal with Paramount's MTV Films and Nick Movies to bring the show to the big screen. The Sixth Sense filmmaker will reportedly write, direct and produce what the studio hopes will become a franchise.

So, how can there be two movies coming out with the same title? That's just it... there can't. Paramount claims that it has registered the name of their project with the MPAA, and that they confirmed their deal with M. Night just hours before the 20th Century Fox announcement that they'd given the green light to Cameron's project.

A representative from 20th Century Fox, however, pointedly told the trade, "We own the movie title Avatar. There won't be another film called Avatar coming from anyplace." Sounds like a title war is brewing.

Avatar: The Last Airbender follows the adventures of the successor to a long line of Avatars who must put aside his irresponsible ways and stop the Fire Nation from enslaving the Water, Earth and Air nations.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/753/753858p1.html

Solo
Great way to follow up "Lady in the Water", M. Night!

Naz
Hmm...I've seen that show before simply because my little sis watches it. It seems really....ghey. I'm looking forward to see what Shyamalan does with it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I haven't even seen Lady in the Water, but I loved The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Is Lady in the Water worth seeing, or is it as poo-poo as it seems?

This 'Airbender' sounds...childish. Yeah, and 'ghey'. Whatever that means...

Strangelove
I kind of like that show....M Night's just going to ruin it sad

Silverstein
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I haven't even seen Lady in the Water, but I loved The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Is Lady in the Water worth seeing, or is it as poo-poo as it seems?

This 'Airbender' sounds...childish. Yeah, and 'ghey'. Whatever that means...

its worth a rent i guess, or a borrow from a friend. i liked the atmosphere of Lady in the Water: i didn't like the cast at all, in my opinion, shyamalan's weakest movie, maybe on par w/ The Village. He gave himself too big of a role in the film... sad

i guess airbender may sound corny, but i actually like the show stick out tongue it looks cool to me, and i liked shyamalan's sixth sense, unbreakable and signs. the cool thing about M. Night is his plot twists...some of em...

Ya Krunk'd Floo
If it's on par with The Village then it must be a giant pile of festering shit.

manorastroman
holy crap i hated the village. why didn't they just ****ing have modern medicine in the village? it's not like any of their kids would have been like "shit no, medical advances such as these weren't made until the twentieth century! this whole village is a sham!"

signs was okay, bordering on bad. unbreakable might have been my favorite; i enjoy the sixth sense less everytime i watch it.

Dusty
Originally posted by Solo
Great way to follow up "Lady in the Water", M. Night! laughing laughing

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by manorastroman
holy crap i hated the village. why didn't they just ****ing have modern medicine in the village? it's not like any of their kids would have been like "shit no, medical advances such as these weren't made until the twentieth century! this whole village is a sham!"

Wurd like a mutha-futha, b*tch.

"Oh, but it's all about post-9/11 America..."

"Shut the f*ck-up, you retard!"

"Mmmm-mmhh..."

signs was okay, bordering on bad. unbreakable might have been my favorite; i enjoy the sixth sense less everytime i watch it.

Signs was okay until they showed the stupid rubber dildo aliens.

WrathfulDwarf
Well, let's see...

Sixth sense had a good ending and a cool twist. No contest.

Unbreakable was a good film but a predictable ending. Comic book fans like I did appreciated but didn't actually praise the film.

Signs was pretty stupid but entertaining film. Yeah, okay, make sense of this....Aliens from other worlds invade earth and their only weakness is water...yet despite this set back the super intelligent beings decide to invade a planet full of water. Genius writing right there M. Night (sarcasm if you don't notice)

The Village tells the story of a peace loving hippie University professor who decides to create his own Utopia. Just to get away from our tragic and violent world. However, reality comes back and bite him on the ass when an actual crime happens. Illustrating that no matter where you run off to....that evil human nature that have haunts us since early civilization will always be present. Hahaha! Great writing M. Night you hit it out of the ballpark.

Haven't bother with Lady in the water yet. Might check it out sometime.

Dusty
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

Haven't bother with Lady in the water yet. Might check it out sometime.

Not worth checking out. IMO.

~Da Rev~
Super super waste of talent.

SnakeEyes
Alright, as far as I see it, some of you guys are being a little harsh.

I mean, The Village wasn't really that bad of a movie. And you might think I'm stupid for thinking that, but hear me out. I didn't like the movie after I first saw it either. Why? Because I expected something totally different, as did so many other people. I expected there to be monsters and so forth, but what I got was totally different. After a while, I gave the movie a second shot, and I actually liked it a lot better. The plot twist was exactly what it was supposed to be: unexpected.

Lady in the Water was so-so, IMO.

And this movie seems like it will be rubbish. I've seen the cartoon and I may be biased against anime, but I think it's shit. No man could make a good movie out of a horrible anime show.

I don't know why he's wasting his talent and potential on a project such as this.

Poor M. Night...

Silverstein
The Village for me, i was expecting a scary horror flick and that hecklers went around town disguised as the fairytale monsters, and then the twist was that in the end, the monsters that appeared at one point in the film were actually real.

Because usually M Night's movies end with the like ghosts are real, superheroes are real, aliens are real, but this time...monster's aren't real. and lady in the water had no twist...and avatar wont either atleast i dont think

although m night has lost his magic in his last two...or three films, i dont think the avatar will be that bad...

thedrownedgod
it sucks to make your best work first then your always living up to it

if you can look paste the fact that the earths atmoshphere is basically water (ever heard of humidity) then signs wasnt bad

the village sucked

i liked lady in the water dont watch it expecting a sixth sense type movie and its cool I really like what he did to the critic in this movie

manorastroman
the water thing wasn't the only stupid part in signs. the whole "swing away" thing was fully, completely, inexcusably heavy handed and idiotic.

The Core
I enjoyed all of M. Night's movies, except for "Lady" which I could only tolerate 25 minutes of.

As usual, people are being overly critical of Science Fiction movies. "Signs" and the great water debate? Anyone ever stop to consider that they chose a remote farm town, devoid of water masses, to invade? The "swing away" quip was for dramatic effect, suggesting that someone with dreams of making it big, having their career cut short, can make a difference with a little unintentional comic relief that just so happens to save the day. "The Village" I thought was a stroke of genius. Nobody saw the end coming, and if you did then either A) you're a lying bastard or B) you wrote the script. Great social commentary to boot. Keep in mind, utopian societies exist and thrive without fear.

That said, this whole "Avatar" is going to be Shymalan's "Marnie" or "Topaz". Just totally out of his element.

InnerRise
M. Night Shyamalan aside, b/c I could care less about him, I'm looking forward to this movie.

I'm a fan of the show and was ecstatic when I found out this movie was being made. Especially since I've been imagining a Live Action Movie to this show for a long time now, thinking that it would never happen and here it is.

Now on to M. Night Shyamalan. I don't trust him to make this movie. He's so far out there, why was he chosen?

I'm not saying the movie is doomed. I'm just saying I wouldn't have thought him to be the one to be put at the helm of this movie.

So I'm slightly nervous about the whole thing.

He better not try and put his own little spin on it too and I don't want to see no d@mn TWISTS!!!!!

I better not even notice M. Night himself as a character in this movie. If I do so help me God.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

botankus
Originally posted by Silverstein
The Village for me, i was expecting a scary horror flick

So were the 10-year old kids behind us in the theater who offered their masterful review as the credits started rolling:

"That sucked!"

Silverstein
Originally posted by InnerRise
M. Night Shyamalan aside, b/c I could care less about him, I'm looking forward to this movie.

I'm a fan of the show and was ecstatic when I found out this movie was being made. Especially since I've been imagining a Live Action Movie to this show for a long time now, thinking that it would never happen and here it is.

Now on to M. Night Shyamalan. I don't trust him to make this movie. He's so far out there, why was he chosen?

I'm not saying the movie is doomed. I'm just saying I wouldn't have thought him to be the one to be put at the helm of this movie.

So I'm slightly nervous about the whole thing.

He better not try and put his own little spin on it too and I don't want to see no d@mn TWISTS!!!!!

I better not even notice M. Night himself as a character in this movie. If I do so help me God.

i think he has been chosen since, he is known for those supernatural movies, ghosts, superpowers, aliens, monsters, fairytale creatures and to me, it seems appropriate for him to do this movie since its about earth's elements: somethign mystical...people having the ability to control somewhat of an element...

i hate how he gave himself such a big role in lady in the water as a 'writer that will change the world'. i hope he doesnt give himself a big part in the avatar

InnerRise
I hope he doesn't give himself a part in the movie AT ALL.

Even so, the tone of his previous movies doesn't fit the type of tone I would expect in a movie such as this one. That's why I'm so skeptical as to why he was chosen for this.

He may have done movies of a fantasy nature, but the fantasy he did had a darker tone and boarderlined on Horror if not completely Horror, especially "The Sixth Sense."

And although he's dealt with the supernatural in his movies. There was little to NO action at all, which will definitely have to be present in this Avatar Movie.

So yeah.

This really is nothing like he's done before even if it has some similarities, such as being of Fantasy and the such.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Ya Krunk'd Floo
'InnerRise'? As in having an erection in a pair of pants?

InnerRise
No. no expression

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Really? Then does it mean that the erection is already rising inside you?

InnerRise
Just stick to topic please.

That's what it means.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
That's what it means.

Yay! I win! I knew that's what it means!

InnerRise
Well if it means "Stick to the topic" why don't you try and do that then. no expression

And obviously you didn't know b/c you're not sticking to topic at all.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
You're weird.

Anyway, so this is that new James Cameron movie, huh? I hope it's better than that one about the ship, that was shit! I liked The Abyss, though.

InnerRise
No, you're weird for bringing the whole idiotic thing up.

And no, this isn't the James Cameron movie. Learn to read the opening posts of threads thoroughly.

Could've even just read the title of the thread. closedeyes

manorastroman
what's this about boners?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
No, you're weird for bringing the whole idiotic thing up.

And no, this isn't the James Cameron movie. Learn to read the opening posts of threads thoroughly.

Could've even just read the title of the thread. closedeyes

Ah, I get it. It really is the new James Cameron movie, but you're being sarcastic. Nice, I like it.

So, are Leo and Kate in this one? Any icebergs? Hearts of the ocean? I hope so...

what's this about boners?

Yeah, boners, dice and pineapples. Should be good, although it's hardly an original concept. Apparently, they tied a bunch of cameras to the heads of a pod of dolphins. Cool.

InnerRise
No, I'm not being sarcastic and you've obviously still not learned how to read.

Silverstein
i just watched Avatar this morning and remembered that it is like an action/comedy, im not exactly sure how m night is going to create a positive ambience for this film, most of his own films are mellow, dark and eerie...

Ya Krunk'd Floo

InnerRise

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Your mother should have stopped. closedeyes

I'm pleased yours didn't, otherwise who would be around to make me look so good?

InnerRise
Oscar the Grouch couldn't make you look good. closedeyes

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Oscar the Grouch couldn't make you look good. closedeyes

But you just did. Again.

Silverstein
will you cut the malarkey, and stay on topic please

InnerRise
Yes please. That requires that people actually know what MOVIE this thread is about. no expression

Silverstein
yes, and for that one person, THIS thread is NOT about james cameron's avatar.

InnerRise
I haven't been able to come up with any particular person that would be a good fit for the role of Aang.

I guess they'll have to pick some new obscure unknown child to play the part along with the other parts in this movie.

I would kind of prefer that. It would be easier for me to believe in the world and the characters if they were new and I hadn't seen them before.

Silverstein
yeah, unknown's would be appropriate, i cant even think of anyone who would play the avatar and the two kids.

and lets hope, the trilogy doesnt end with M Night being the next avatar who takes down the fire nation.

i was thinking m night would be cool for this but im not so sure anymore

InnerRise
M Night would shave off his hair and draw an arrow on his head to play the Avatar. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Silverstein
haha, and then he will kill the fire nation leader, who also happens to be a movie critic wink

InnerRise
That's kind of out there. confused

Silverstein
...well just like m night got the scrunt thing to kill the movie critic in lady in the water...haha

InnerRise
Oh. OK. Well I didn't see Lady in the Water.

Silverstein
oh well... its been out for quite some time now...atleast borrow it from a friend, if you can get past m night and the lame cast and characters, it might be alright

InnerRise
I'll wait for it to come on tv. erm

Strangelove
oh well... its been out for quite some time now...atleast borrow it from a friend, if you can get past m night and the lame cast and characters, it might be alright So you're saying that if you can get past the writing, directing, and acting in the movie, it'll be good?

Thank god my faith is restored no expression

Silverstein
Originally posted by Strangelove
So you're saying that if you can get past the writing, directing, and acting in the movie, it'll be good?

Thank god my faith is restored no expression

maybe M Night is over rated due to the success of The Sixth Sense, since then he has not lived up to that movie. He is not exceptionally good at what he does besides come up with crazy stories w/mediocre lines but a plot twist thing.

the directing and screenplay is alright in Lady in the Water, however the characters are what i coin "lame and no name". Bryce does similar acting and vocal acting from The Village and M Night sucks ass as an actor.

There's just some form on hope instilled in my soul that somehow through all this, M Night will pull a rabbit out of a hat (without there being an actual compartment for the rabbit to be stashed but just magically appear)

moving on, I recently watched The Illusionist and without spoiling anything, it is something i would imagine M Night wouldve thought up...

Strangelove
maybe M Night is over rated due to the success of The Sixth Sense, since then he has not lived up to that movie. He is not exceptionally good at what he does besides come up with crazy stories w/mediocre lines but a plot twist thing.

the directing and screenplay is alright in Lady in the Water, however the characters are what i coin "lame and no name". Bryce does similar acting and vocal acting from The Village and M Night sucks ass as an actor.

There's just some form on hope instilled in my soul that somehow through all this, M Night will pull a rabbit out of a hat (without there being an actual compartment for the rabbit to be stashed but just magically appear)

moving on, I recently watched The Illusionist and without spoiling anything, it is something i would imagine M Night wouldve thought up... See, when you say "If you get past M. Night and that acting, I assume you're talking about M. Night in his other roles, writer and director.

Silverstein
See, when you say "If you get past M. Night and that acting, I assume you're talking about M. Night in his other roles, writer and director.

yeah, it was noted also by critics that he shouldve hired a 2nd screen writer to help him also, and yes, he is not that skilled as a writer in my opinion, he just has good ideas for films...

Strangelove
yeah, it was noted also by critics that he shouldve hired a 2nd screen writer to help him also, and yes, he is not that skilled as a writer in my opinion, he just has good ideas for films... Even that's a stretch erm

manorastroman
i just watched the illusionist, and it seems like that as a movie about illusions, they would be able to conjure up some decent fake facial hair. instead it looks like they shaved japan and taped it to their face.

and screw that faux-usual suspects half ass ending.

Strangelove
i just watched the illusionist, and it seems like that as a movie about illusions, they would be able to conjure up some decent fake facial hair. instead it looks like they shaved japan and taped it to their face.

and screw that faux-usual suspects half ass ending. What the hell are you talking about? This is an obviously off-topic post

manorastroman
moving on, I recently watched The Illusionist and without spoiling anything, it is something i would imagine M Night wouldve thought up...

What the hell are you talking about? This is an obviously off-topic post

and reading is obviously not your strong suit. dick.

Silverstein

and screw that faux-usual suspects half ass ending.

maybe it was his real facial hair...hmm? i thought the ending was cool

InnerRise
Let's stop talking about it. Yall are just waiting to spoil it. I do plan to watch you. SHHHH..

Now, back to the topic on hand..........hmmmm.......Yeah.......M. Night......Avatar............I'm skeptical..........dodgy

Strangelove
and reading is obviously not your strong suit. dick. Such strong language for an honest mistake. You must be one of them 'touchy' folk, arntcha?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I think Avatar will be a bunch of crap with corn in it.

M. Night Shaymalan's movies are getting progressively worse each time. Unbreakable is the only blip on this otherwise down-ward trajectory.

InnerRise
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I think Avatar will be a bunch of crap with corn in it.

M. Night Shaymalan's movies are getting progressively worse each time. Unbreakable is the only blip on this otherwise down-ward trajectory. This isn't M. Night's movie. ermm

Silverstein
^ well they have given him the opportunity to write, direct and produce this film. No idea if they will actually use his script, but he is behind most of it, only thing is, he didnt create the source, and hopefully he stays true to the original

Ya Krunk'd Floo
This isn't M. Night's movie. ermm

You're an 2 year old idiot (chicken).

Silverstein
^ he probably meant, M Night is not the creator of Avatar or something.

InnerRise
^ he probably meant, M Night is not the creator of Avatar or something. Of course he wouldn't understand. Epitome of Hypocrisy if I ever saw it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Hehehe, you guys are funny. Did I refer to the TV show or the movie? The TV show...or...the movie? Hehehe ...the...TV...show...or...the...movie?

Hi-ho-hi-ho, and it's back to kindergarten you go.

mkenshin10
M Night this is not ur style come on. Avatar should be done by someone else. Avatar is way to kid like and just doesnt seem like a mmovie done by M Night .

Silverstein
yep, Avatar has a very positive atmosphere, since it is like a japanese action comedy...but who knows, maybe M Night might be able to extend his originality or art style in a new direction...

ToMacco
this thread makes my nipples hard.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by ToMacco
this thread makes my nipples hard.

Nipples (girls' ones, like) make my penis hard.

taste_u
I have no life.

Wolfie
Originally posted by taste_u
I have no life.
Well put.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.