Alex Ross Discussion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rewmac
Discuss if you like it or not. Me personally love his art especially the ongoing Justice series. I also loved the Marvels stuff and the Kingdom Come thingy...I hope he keeps them coming. I just love the Shazam art with the lightning in Justice 09 and the armors in that same issue...Batman and Hal just look too amazing...

"V"
Originally posted by Rewmac
Discuss if you like it or not. Me personally love his art especially the ongoing Justice series. I also loved the Marvels stuff and the Kingdom Come thingy...I hope he keeps them coming. I just love the Shazam art with the lightning in Justice 09 and the armors in that same issue...Batman and Hal just look too amazing...

His art is beautiful, sometimes its overly trying to be iconic. And his women all seem to look pretty dykish, Yeah and supposedly he's a right dick. Not on John Bryne levels of dickery, but getting there.

marvelprince
Beautiful art but I agree that at times it seems like he's trying to be too epic. The earlier stuff like Marvels was best imo

leonidas
marvels was awesome. i like it. i don't love it. it's a nice change pf pace for me, but it really doesn't get beyond that. i certainly wouldn't want ALL books done in a similar style . . . erm

Scoobless
All his characters have the same face with minor variations.

Magee
Everyone has the same face with minor variations... oO

Scoobless
Not like Ross' work

StarsNeverFall7
He just takes a more "realistic" look towards it. Not every character is ripped to the hilt with muscles in places most of us don't even have places. Its more what an actual person would look like if they threw on a costume and fought for good. With that aside thought, some of his art work is good but the other 90% of it pisses me off. Just me though

Scoobless
It seems to be because he uses photographs of himself as reference material ... which is why Wonder Woman has the same facial features as Superman.

Supreme being
Wtf I have always thought all of the art work Ross has done have been awesome, yes at times his characters look freaky but they have that realistic factor to them which gives ross an edge.

Juntai
Ross is the GOAT

By Crom!
Originally posted by "V"
His art is beautiful, sometimes its overly trying to be iconic. And his women all seem to look pretty dykish, Yeah and supposedly he's a right dick. Not on John Bryne levels of dickery, but getting there.

No one is on John Byrnes level of dickery, I cite a flame about this high his column from next men to prove this.

Rewmac
The good thing I like about it that his art is unique. I don't know how many comics he has produced I only have Marvels, Kingdom Come, JLA of his, Justice comics his Superman and Batman I really hope he keeps bringing beautiful works some more...

srankmissingnin
Aside from everyone having a strong jaw line there aren't very many similarities in the characters faces... confused

Validus
Ross does faces very well compared to most artists. If you wanna see every character look the same, just look at a Jim Lee comic.

His women are pretty ugly though.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Validus
Ross does faces very well compared to most artists. If you wanna see every character look the same, just look at a Jim Lee comic.

His women are pretty ugly though.

Agreed for the most part. His women DO look dikey... I like Jim Lee's art as well though.

Rewmac
The one I hate doing comic arts is Ramos. I mean look at how Wolverine and other characters look damn...

roughrider
Those four super-sized graphic novels he did years ago for DC, each dedicated to a single character - Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman - I picked up two of them over Christmas, given to me as gifts ( it was Supes and Marvel.)

If he were to produce four such volumes for Marvel characters, I would nominate Spider Man, Captain America, Thor & The Silver Surfer. They would suit his style the best.

Beta Ray Howard
He's honestly overrated. He can draw men well, but the women look too butch. Gabrielle Del'Otto is much, much more talented than he is. I think he's just the most popular renowned comic artists, so people sometimes give him more credit than he deserves.

I'm not knocking his talent, but he's not that uber.

long pig
Great art, but overused. He's like Michael turner. Great, but he's always everywhere.....deliberately trying to piss me off. Always..shh, I hear him now....

boriquaking55
Ross is great but I also really dislike his women. They are too butch.

Rewmac
Overrated is isn't a word used for relative concept. Someone likes him, some one loves, someone doesn't like him and the others hate him. Is just a way to go. I was surprised when I saw his Justice comic series. Just gotta say he did very well on it. Yeah maybe the Women are awful but that just makes it more realistic. Does every superhero male or female has to be a sex symbol? Nooo...

roughrider
Let's remember he didn't pencil Justice - he painted over Braithwaite's pencils.
He can illustrate attractive women - just look at all the faces in Marvels and Kingdom Come. But some characters like Wonder Woman and Big Barda should have a tougher look to them.
Of course, part of his appeal is he paints his work, making his lighting effects for portraits more dramatic.
Look at the work of Bryan Hitch on The Ultimates. To me, that's Alex Ross minus the painting work.

masterbruce
he's a great artist no doubt but I don't really like his style at all

they all look ugly to me for some reason

DarkCrawler
Ross is probably the best comic artist to me. Nobody really can draw Namor better, and his Galactus still has me gasping. He's simply amazing. He is mostly the reason why I bought the Marvels limited edition book for about $100. The art is simply breathtaking (not that the story isn't, but it is just...amazing).

Mindship
Good: very realistic.
Bad: characters look posed and chunky.

He's kind of like the antiKirby. Jack Kirby had a lousy knowledge of anatomy, and sometimes his characters' faces looked almost amateurish. But Kirby imbued power, action and energy into his work, IMO as yet unmatched by Ross or anyone.

systemshock2
That man is incredible. A god among comic book artists. I fell in love with his artwork after Marvels and was even more impressed with Kingdom Come. His interpretation of Superman is perhaps the best ever IMO, with Dan Jurgens a distant second. Now if he'd only do a Superman/Doomsday comic book and I'd be in heaven.

Doctor S.T.D.
I see this from the Frank Miller perspective, comics aren't really supposed to be drawn as realistic. That said id take Bryan Hitch over Alex Ross any day of he week.

The Joker#1
I loved his art in Marvel visionaries I think it's called.

Odekahn
I think every male character of his has the same face. Put someone else's head on a different body and you wouldn't know the difference.

JakeTheBank
Really great guy and a great artist to boot. His Batman is among one of my favorites, as is his Superman. Sometimes, his Wonder Woman looks a tad on the butch side, but he's since refined his craft and she looks powerful but still feminine.

His homages to iconic comic covers such as X-Men #1 and Avengers #4 are fantastic.

I met him once in Chicago about five years ago. I had him sign my Batman RIP covers as well as my Captain America covers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.