Ocarina of Time vs Twilight Princess

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

§P0oONY
This is a thread where you compare the two Zelda games for everything; game play, story etc... Come to the conclusion on which you prefer. Now I don't want to see people say Ocarina of Time simply because it's been popularly considered as the best Zelda game for such a long time without even thinking about it. I want you to weigh out the options. Come to the conclusion on which you believe truly is the greater game.

(Also, Lana gave me permission to make this... Just so you don't shoot me down for it. It's a test-run.)

kamikz
Well first of all, I'd say that I think Ocarina is the best, but my opinion could be clouded by the fact that I have so many memories from it, and me and my sister played through it together when we were younger (and it took a long time), this game I finished in some days and played it mostly alone!

WARNING, TP SPOILERS!

If I'm only going by facts though (which really is unfair since Ocarina is much, much older), then Twilight probably takes it! At first I enjoyed the story very much, and I thought, "Wow, they really did it this time, they built Link as a character perfectly, and the story is mystical, you don't know what's gonna happend". Unfortunatley, it didn't turn out that way, I was disappointed by the ending and I had really hoped for more than it was. It also didn't explain the important things I wanted to know between the time of WW and OOT, and I thought that the last boss in the game had to little of a story behind him, he just went in then quickly out! I had hoped for more, still like the OOT story better, however, I like the character development more in TP, like the relationship between Link and the children!

Though really, the world is much bigger, the grapich is better, equal amount of tempels, more sidequests in TP, better gameplay! If we go by those then TP wins, but that's because OOT is old! My personal preference is OOT, however I don't think it's necessarily a better game!

WARNING, TP SPOILERS. ^

ESB -1138
No problem.

==Gameplay==
OoT (for the 64 era) had the best gameplay you could find. Link (without using weapons) had a very limited amount of moves he could do but you never felt restricted. The fighting was simple and easy to learn and master so you never actually had to stop and learn. The many weapons added to the experience including the ability to become a kid and teen. The side quests in the game helped keep the game going long past the completion of the game to collect all the hearts, gold tokens, and powerful weapons. Also the boss battles were exciting and kept you into the fight from beginning to end. The camera was perfect for this game (of course only Mario 64 had the perfect camera) and with Z targeting you get more of a movie feel to the game which adds to the tension of a fight.

Gameplay for OoT: 5/5

TP took the gameplay of OoT and expanded it giving you more (but simple) sword techinques allowing you to defeat heavily armed foes. The horseback riding was enchanced allowing you to use more then a bow and arrow on Epona giving you epic fights on horseback. The side quests return and still provide you with some useful items, hearts, and poe souls. Now I found some of the weapons were just thrown in there for the heck of it like the slingshot. Once you got the bow you never used the slingshot. Also the ball & chain isn't as useful as it looks. It really restricts your movements making it difficult to do anything but I guess it's to balance out the damage the ball & chain can dish out. I found the wolf form more exciting then I thought it would be. Becoming a wolf was useful (unlike becoming a Deku most of the time) and really helped you out in fighting large groups of enemies with the dark field attack. The camera angel is as good as OoT with Z targeting still here helping you keep a good fight going. The boss battles are just as fun just not as hard as OoT.

Gameplay for TP: 5/5

==Graphics==
OoT had the best graphics you could ever find in a game at the time. Simply put...AMAZING!!

Graphics for OoT: 5/5

TP had wonderful graphics on the Gamecube but they could have put forth a little more effort on the Wii. But all in all this game has the best Gamecube graphics I have ever seen and that's comparing it to Resident Evil 4.

Graphics for TP: 5/5

==Who Wins?==
Well it was a difficult decision to really decide whether TP is better the OoT or not. Both games show what a game can be if you take the time to perfect it. The stories are captivating and the dungeons are both challenging (of course the Water Temple from OoT is by far the hardest Zelda dungeon ever). Now the last question remains is which one is better. TP is about twice as long as OoT but the length of a game doesn't make it better.

I have to give this battle over to TP. I hate to say it but TP will keep you playing longer simply because Hyrule is bigger and there's more to explore. You will also find yourself just going to the fields to fight it out with those boar riders on horseback. Also the game gives you a climatic final battle that surpasses Ganon from OoT. Also the inclusion of Zant was a brilliant move for Zant added character to the otherwise serious villains of Zelda. Zant was mad and a physco to put it in simple terms and before him all Zelda villains were serious...expect for maybe Majora's Mask but then again it could have just been that one form.

You will find yourself replaying this game the moment you beat it just to relive boss battles and some scripted moments.

((The_Anomaly))
In terms of the actual game, Twilight Princess is much a better game, but in terms of impact, and being what it was for its time OoT stands alone as the best of the best. But I think TP is actually better IMO.

General Kaliero
I own both games (OoT in multiple versions) and Zelda is my favorite game series of all time. I was introduced to it through OoT. I still play OoT to this day, simply because it's such an amazing, fun game. However, I also absolutely love Twilight Princess, as it's another brilliant game. So let's just go through this category by category.

Gameplay: As far as combat goes, TP wins this. It starts out with all the moves OoT had, but then adds more onto them. All of the Hidden Skills to learn make battle more interesting and ultimately, more fun. Also, horseback battles are excellent, fun and fast-paced. Items are also an important part of the experience. OoT's items were just about perfect, with something to use in any situation. The Magic system was also good, though the only really useful magic was Din's Fire and the magic arrows. TP drops most of those items (and the ones that come back are slightly altered) and does away with the magic, while adding a few items we've never seen before. Some of those items may not have been extremely useful (poor neglected Spinner...) but they are all interesting and at least fun to use. I think TP comes away with the better items. As for minigames, that is my one gripe with TP. Its minigames are few and far between. OoT easily beats it, with minigames all over the place.

Story: An interesting decision here. TP has the technically better storytelling, with a superb epic feel to it and deep personal connections. Yet OoT still feels like it was the perfect Zelda story, with Zelda petulantly commanding Link to do what causes exactly what she wanted to prevent. It all comes together at the end, and essentially creates a perfectly closed, well-told story. It's a hard decision, but I have to throw the better story to OoT. Character-wise, though, I think TP has it. The only developed characters in OoT were Link, the Sages, and Ganondorf. In TP, nearly everyone you talk to (right down to the sweet girl that runs the fishing hole) has some background, and they are all in some way interesting. Even Link, stoic, silent Link, manages to display a personality on emotions alone. And of course, I have to mention Midna here, who is the best, deepest, most well-developed and real character in the entire series, ever. Again, the characters in TP are an absolute joy.

Again, both are excellent games that deserve every honor given to them, but overall I have to say TP edges out over OoT as the better game.

AstroFan
This seems like a thread for people who finished the game, so Im not gonna go through the hassle of spoiler tagging every little thing, but be warned SPOILERS LIE AHEAD!!!

OoT was the first Zelda game I played, I really had no expectations when I rented it when it came out, but it blew me away. On the day the Wii launched and TP with it, Oot was my favorite game of all time.

Since everyone and their mothers knows pretty much everything about Ocarina(so beautiful, so huge, etc. etc.) ill just stick to talking mostly about TP.

For the first 20 hours Twilight was full steam ahead set to blow right past Ocarina, but in the final segments it really seemed to fall off. First problem is the sky temple, to me this is the absolute worst temple/dungeon in a Zelda game that I have played, it was ugly, it wasnt fun, I just wanted to get it the hell over with. Shame since it introduced my favorite item in the game.

Second problem is Zant, the whole game builds him up and leads you to a fight with this realm conquering badass, but he turns out to be a psycho clown and borderline fruit. The battle with him is basically a rehash of every other boss in the game.

Lastly Ganondorf, im glad that he was in the game, he was my favorite thing about Ocarina. But in this game he is pretty much wasted, his battles(all 3) are easy and not very exciting. And he just kinda popped up, no build up at all, no reason to really care. In Ocarina he was featured throughout, he was a complete badass, and his two battles were intense and exciting.

Overall I give the edge to Ocarina, but Twilight Princess was still amazing despite the things I didnt love.

MadMel
ill give points to TP for adding zant...he was f*king hilarious laughing
but overall they tie..OOT was the best of its time, and TP is the best of now..big grin

ESB -1138
You know I find it kind of strange that people say Ganondorf wasn't built up in Twilight Princess.

When you first encountered Zant (after the Lakebed Temple) is when Ganondorf starts to build up. Zant mentions he got his powers from his god giving a clue much like in a Link to the Past or in Four Swords Adventures that Ganondorf was going to be in it. Then with the Arbiter's Grounds you see Ganondorf get sent to the Twilight Realm.

That builds up more because you know Ganondorf is alive just trapped much like he was in a Link to the Past in the Sacred Realm. Then Zant tells of his encounter to this god and the flaming giant head even looked like Ganondorf. All of these things were building up to Ganondorf. The moment Zant said, "this is powers from my god" I knew right then and there that another entity was behind all this.

All of Twilight Princess was giving you clues basically that Ganondorf was making a return even with the Triforce of Courage (Link) and the Triforce of Wisdom (Zelda). Since the NES Zelda 1 I can't name you another time that two triforce pieces were in the game and the not the third. Really if you look into the story you will see it was very obivious that Ganondorf was going to be in the game.

Plus his encounter just at the end is no different then Zelda NES, a Link to the Past, and Four Swords Adventures all of which didn't (or hardly) mentioned Ganon and then had him for a final boss battle. Even Oracles of Seasons/Ages even though that game was about reviving Ganon.

AstroFan
Yeah, I knew he was coming, but it just felt like he was out of nowhere and added on.

I can imagine some unused dialogue before the final fight, "Hi im Ganon, and ill be your villian today, lets fight." And that somes up how he was used. lol

Lana
Wow, multiple people who's first Zelda game is OoT. I really find that kind of surprising.

Anyway, not played TP yet and probably won't have an opportunity to do so for a while. Sigh.

AstroFan
I did go back and purchase LttP, but I prefer the 3D and the cinematic feel. stick out tongue

§P0oONY
Link's Awakening was mine. w00t

(I'll also be giving my run down of the 2 games later today probably.)

MadMel
OOT mine..big grin

kamikz
Originally posted by ESB -1138
You know I find it kind of strange that people say Ganondorf wasn't built up in Twilight Princess.

When you first encountered Zant (after the Lakebed Temple) is when Ganondorf starts to build up. Zant mentions he got his powers from his god giving a clue much like in a Link to the Past or in Four Swords Adventures that Ganondorf was going to be in it. Then with the Arbiter's Grounds you see Ganondorf get sent to the Twilight Realm.

That builds up more because you know Ganondorf is alive just trapped much like he was in a Link to the Past in the Sacred Realm. Then Zant tells of his encounter to this god and the flaming giant head even looked like Ganondorf. All of these things were building up to Ganondorf. The moment Zant said, "this is powers from my god" I knew right then and there that another entity was behind all this.

All of Twilight Princess was giving you clues basically that Ganondorf was making a return even with the Triforce of Courage (Link) and the Triforce of Wisdom (Zelda). Since the NES Zelda 1 I can't name you another time that two triforce pieces were in the game and the not the third. Really if you look into the story you will see it was very obivious that Ganondorf was going to be in the game.

Plus his encounter just at the end is no different then Zelda NES, a Link to the Past, and Four Swords Adventures all of which didn't (or hardly) mentioned Ganon and then had him for a final boss battle. Even Oracles of Seasons/Ages even though that game was about reviving Ganon.

HUGE TP SPOILERS: ENDING SPOILERS!

Well I personally thought that though it was explained how he broke free from his prison and all, he wasn't really as big a threat as you would want him to be, it felt like he did what he did so he could escape, then got sent back some hours later, he felt so worthless! He should have had more playtime, I actually thought that it would be a fight ala Wind Waker, where Link fails, has to go through more tempels to return, but Ganon just went in and out!

Anyway, I don't get the ending. Ganondorf Died didn't he? How can he die now, he should be alive to Wind Waker. I was so disappointed when it didn't explain the flodding and all...

But that's just my opinion about it!

ENDING SPOILERS TO TP. ^

AstroFan
Yeah, I was really hoping the flood would be shown, but maybe we will get that in the full blown Wii Zelda.

Lana
Guys, there's really no need to mark spoilers in this thread, the assumption is that people posting/voting/debating have played both games.

I would be the exception but I don't care about spoilers anyway.

kamikz
Ok good.

Yeah, I hope we get to see that, I really thought this ending had more to it then it had. But I really wonder, the WW intro said no Hero showed up to defeat Ganon, but in TP he kills Ganon, this might be later, but then OOT Link wouldn't be around to teach him stuff (as a ghost) and it is still the same old Hyrule!

InnerRise
I actually think people announcing spoilers is good.

I'm playing Twilight Princess ahora mismo and have not fnished it. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to come in here and get people's take and opinion on the game.

The way things in here was going was fine, why try and change it? Jeesh.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

AstroFan
Originally posted by kamikz
Ok good.

Yeah, I hope we get to see that, I really thought this ending had more to it then it had. But I really wonder, the WW intro said no Hero showed up to defeat Ganon, but in TP he kills Ganon, this might be later, but then OOT Link wouldn't be around to teach him stuff (as a ghost) and it is still the same old Hyrule!

I think the plot made more sense before Twilight came out, cuz WW says Link leaves(sent back in time in OoT) and Gana returned and thewole flood happened. But now Ganon may be dead and Link is still around.

General Kaliero
Lana does have a point, Inner. I'm not gonna be marking spoilers, if someone in here then either they've finished or they don't care about spoilers.

Anyway, I don't get the ending. Ganondorf Died didn't he? How can he die now, he should be alive to Wind Waker. I was so disappointed when it didn't explain the flodding and all...

Heh. Welcome to the insanity all long-time fans suffer. The best explanation is that TP takes place in the other timeline, after OoT's child ending. WW comes after the adult ending.

On a related note, this is only the third time in the 14-game series that Ganon has truly died. The others were NES Zelda and ALttP.

AstroFan
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Lana does have a point, Inner. I'm not gonna be marking spoilers, if someone in here then either they've finished or they don't care about spoilers.

Heh. Welcome to the insanity all long-time fans suffer. The best explanation is that TP takes place in the other timeline, after OoT's child ending. WW comes after the adult ending.

On a related note, this is only the third time in the 14-game series that Ganon has truly died. The others were NES Zelda and ALttP.

Yeah, i watched a thing on Gametrailers where they gave their opinion on the order of the story, it split after OoT. Kinda interesting. lol

InnerRise

God you people are impossible.

I really don't see the purpose of spoiler tags on this site lately.

Lana
Originally posted by InnerRise
I actually think people announcing spoilers is good.

I'm playing Twilight Princess ahora mismo and have not fnished it. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to come in here and get people's take and opinion on the game.

The way things in here was going was fine, why try and change it? Jeesh.

If you want general opinions on things, go to the TP thread, where I DO make people use spoilers. Well, assuming it's actually a spoiler (and I count spoilers as things that are directly plot-related. Character names and temple names do not count into this).

This is a discussion of which game is better, and thus plot points will be brought up, and thus using spoilers is silly and pointless.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Lana
If you want general opinions on things, go to the TP thread, where I DO make people use spoilers. Well, assuming it's actually a spoiler (and I count spoilers as things that are directly plot-related. Character names and temple names do not count into this).

This is a discussion of which game is better, and thus plot points will be brought up, and thus using spoilers is silly and pointless.
Ganon's a spoiler in TP... Even if he is predictable. stick out tongue

DracotheDragon
Ocarina of Time. Hands down. Twilight princess granted is a must play on my list, but I still prefer OoT. Although... ALTTP is the best... just my opinion...

ESB -1138
HUGE TP SPOILERS: ENDING SPOILERS!

Well I personally thought that though it was explained how he broke free from his prison and all, he wasn't really as big a threat as you would want him to be, it felt like he did what he did so he could escape, then got sent back some hours later, he felt so worthless! He should have had more playtime, I actually thought that it would be a fight ala Wind Waker, where Link fails, has to go through more tempels to return, but Ganon just went in and out!

But that's just my opinion about it!

ENDING SPOILERS TO TP. ^

Ganon died in Zelda1 and in a Link to the Past. He was turned into a pile of ashes. And who knows, TP could happen after WW.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Ganon died in Zelda1 and in a Link to the Past. He was turned into a pile of ashes. And who knows, TP could happen after WW.

TP was confirmed by Aonuma and Miyamoto to take place decades after OoT, whereas WW is centuries after the adult ending.

Didn't I already deal with all this?

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Lana
Anyway, not played TP yet and probably won't have an opportunity to do so for a while. Sigh.

I feel your pain. sad

MadMel
Didn't I already deal with all this?
thats about the 3rd time laughing

Nactous
Ocarina of Time has a way better story.

General Kaliero
It's nice to know your opinion.

However, as far as facts go, Twilight Princess has a more personal story.

DracotheDragon
I'm playing TP right now, and it's really no different in gameplay than OoT. However, the storyline is much better, so I have to change my response to TP. stick out tongue

AstroFan
Originally posted by Nactous
Ocarina of Time has a way better story.

The main idea of the story was better in OoT, but the story in TP was told much better which made it more entertaining.

But OoT is still my choice for overall game. lol

Smasandian

pinkfloydkor
but wait, what was the deal with OoA and OoS?

i thought it was about reviving ganon or something

i never played them so i wouldnt know

but was he dead in those?

General Kaliero
The behind the scenes plot was to revive Ganon by causing woe and destruction in the two lands, yes. The Twinrova Koume and Kotake were the ones who pushed the game villains to do what they did for that purpose. The final step was to sacrifice Princess Zelda, and with her blood Ganon's spirit and body would be rejoined.

However, Link killed the Twinrova, and as a last act they offered themselves as the sacrifice. This revived Ganon's body, but since Zelda was not the sacrifice it was merely a mindless beast. This semi-Ganon was then destroyed by Link.

Thus, the circular plot (ending where it begins) means that the pair of games can fit anywhere Ganon is dead, which is quite often.

pinkfloydkor
ahh i see

so you cant really place these 2 games anywhere in the timeline?

JToTheP
I like TP more than OoT because I hate kid Link at the start of OoT, and I loathe Jabu-Jabu's belly in the original and MQ.

Evil Dead
My vote goes to OoT.......not only as the best Zelda game but the best video game of all time.

I got Zelda shortly after it came out....it was my favorite game until A Link to the Past came out (LA was a huge disappointment).......LTTP was my favorite until OoT came out.....and it remains to this day. TP is the best game for the Wii but still isn't as fun to play as OoT.

JToTheP
Originally posted by Evil Dead
My vote goes to OoT.......not only as the best Zelda game but the best video game of all time.

I got Zelda shortly after it came out....it was my favorite game until A Link to the Past came out (LA was a huge disappointment).......LTTP was my favorite until OoT came out.....and it remains to this day. TP is the best game for the Wii but still isn't as fun to play as OoT.

Really? I think LTTP and LA are the best games in the entire series, TP being second/third, followed by OoT.

Superboy Prime
A Link to the Past was my first Zelda...and I love it. I have played the game on SNES, emulators, Game Boy Advance...shit once I get a Wii I'll play it on Wii.

I hate how some "gamers" did not play Wind Waker because it looked "kiddish." Great, under rated, game.

What still strikes me about OoT is how great it was. It was the first 3D Zelda...and it was just a marvel. Everything felft new and different(3D) but it still had that Zelda flavor.

I feel the same way about Metroid Prime and it's many sequels...Metroid Prime/OoT was just too big of an accomplishment. That excellent level is what made next Metroid Prime/Zelda games great. After all...so long as you don't screw up what works...it can only get better IMO.

Who knows what would have become of Zelda had Miyamoto screwed OoT.

Rascaduanok

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.