What if... Staring Captain America's shield

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

srankmissingnin
I was re-reading Road of the Patriarch and after reading the part where Artemis release all the mechanical energy he absorbed into some unsuspecting orc (causing him to virtually explode) I started wondering about a similar situation involving Cap's shield.

What if Captain America's shield had a limit to amount of energy in could absorb (like Vibranium) and having suddenly reached it's limited exploded with out warning, releasing all the energy it had absorb over the years in one awesome burst. How much damage would it cause? Would it destroy the Earth? Would it knock Thor on his ass if he was anywhere near? You tell me.

NiņoAraņa
EVERYONE would die....even Sentry no expression that shield (and it's diffrent versions) have taken so much hell that if it exploded anyone this side of the planet would feel it...and maybe on the other side too

darthgoober

TricksterPriest
Actually, the shield has broken once. Luckily, it didn't release all that energy. But given that things like the IG, Odinforce, power cosmic, Onslaught, Iron Man, Thanos (not sure about that one), and god knows what else have all smashed against it, yeah, Earth AND the moon, and maybe even Mars&Venus are space dust. Double co-sign.

marvelprince
*sigh* And I always liked this half of the Solar System. T'was my favorite

DarkCrawler
Haha, Cap would have weapon of mass destruction in his hands. He probably wouldn't throw it around as carelessly if that would be the case. laughing out loud

"When Captain America throws his mighty shield, all who oppose his shield must yie...hey, why is the shield glowing?"

BOOM!

StarsNeverFall7
I don't know about anyone else but this would make quite an interesting story line if you ask me....

On the other hand though, MarvelPrince had it right, bye bye to our half of the solar system

TricksterPriest
Think any marvel writers will come up with this idea? The concept of using the shield as a weapon of mass destruction sounds interesting. shifty

Beta Ray Howard
It would quite literally destroy earth.

Darth Macabre
That would actually be a really entertaining What If...

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by marvelprince
*sigh* And I always liked this half of the Solar System. T'was my favorite

laughing

inamilist
not to be a party pooper...

but wouldn't the shield just radiate the energy off in the way that normal matter does? (Like, when it is not being used it would slowly release the energy) or is vibranium different?

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by inamilist

but wouldn't the shield just radiate the energy off in the way that normal matter does? (Like, when it is not being used it would slowly release the energy) or is vibranium different? well the OP stated an incident where something had released it's energy in a violent manner....so it's safe to assume he meant release it that way, and not docilely

Symmetric Chaos

but wouldn't the shield just radiate the energy off in the way that normal matter does? (Like, when it is not being used it would slowly release the energy) or is vibranium different?

Maybe (but that wouldn't be nearly as funny)

inamilist

NiņoAraņa
oh

right

ok

IT BOMBED TEH WRLOD laughing

Reaper777
yeah...no one would live through an explosion like that... Hell that would probably knock hulk on his @$$ on what ever planet he's on.

Superguy
Interesting idea. Yes, we're toast... and speaking of Cap's shield...

Juntai
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Actually, the shield has broken once. Luckily, it didn't release all that energy. But given that things like the IG, Odinforce, power cosmic, Onslaught, Iron Man, Thanos (not sure about that one), and god knows what else have all smashed against it, yeah, Earth AND the moon, and maybe even Mars&Venus are space dust. Double co-sign. When THanos w/ IG hit it though, it fragmented into pieces. Didn't absorb anything lol

Disappear
if it blew up the world, it'd be a really short issue, wouldn't it?

if it started reacting violently very sporadically, and after some catastrophe or another it gave signs of exploding the local strongarm could chuck it into space. there, it explodes, causing irreparable damage to the ozone and knocking earth off it's axis and out of its orbit of the sun. or it blows up the moon and the tides go shitstorm. then the issue could deal with the fallout of that.

otherwise, it'd have to be just a regular issue and in the end everybody dies forever...

Scoobless
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Actually, the shield has broken once.

At least three times actually ... once during the IG, once during Secret Wars and once during the King Thor timeline.

smile

darthgoober
Originally posted by Scoobless
At least three times actually ... once during the IG, once during Secret Wars and once during the King Thor timeline.

smile
Don't forget about when Molecule Man disintegrated it(along with Surfer's Board, and Thor's hammer).

King Kandy
Why, a blast of that size might even hurt Wolverine! He'd survive though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.