What's the difference between Universes & Cosmos & Dimensions?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
I've heard that Cosmos are bigger than Universes and Dimensions can be bigger than Cosmos. I've also heard the exact ****ing opposite.

So, if you're penis is large enough, answer my question! Well, IS IT LARGE ENOUGH?

I'll be forced to think that anyone who doesn't try to answer the question has a small penis. Sorry, it's just the way it works.

Beta Ray Howard
Not quite sure on cosmos, but I think it means all of space in a whole. A dimension is another plane of existence, and a galaxy is just a huge grouping of planets, probably smaller than a cosmos.

I could be wrong though. Wikipedia probably has stuff on it.

SpunkySmurph
I think...

Universe is the biggest.
Cosmos is everything physical within a specific dimension
and a Dimension is a plane of existance within a Universe.

long pig
Well, a Cosmos is a universe that is basically all connected in harmony.

long pig
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
I think...

Universe is the biggest.
Cosmos is everything physical within a specific dimension
and a Dimension is a plane of existance within a Universe.
I can slightly agree with the dimension part, but a cosmos is a universe. A dimension COULD be a universe, it just depends on what you consider a universe I guess.

Hmm...I shall ponder.

Martian_mind
Pig did you just respond to your own question just to prove you have a large penis?

long pig
Man, what a collection of large penised men we have here on KMC. Like a bunch of half men half horses. Kudos.

long pig
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Pig did you just respond to your own question just to prove you have a large penis?
I don't need to prove my penis' gurth, you can plainly see it through my biker shorts that I wear 24/7.

I actually just wanted to know the differences between the three.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by long pig
I can slightly agree with the dimension part, but a cosmos is a universe. A dimension COULD be a universe, it just depends on what you consider a universe I guess.

Hmm...I shall ponder.

I always thought a dimension was part of a universe.

Hence, when Nightcrawler teleports (and travels through another dimension), he doesnt temporarily leave the 616 universe.

And then the other things (like Ultimate Universe) are alternate realites,

I'm not sure what exactly the 'cosmos' encompasses.

Martian_mind
I believe that a Dimension is a different plane of reality connected to a universe which contains the Cosmos.

long pig
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
I always thought a dimension was part of a universe.

Hence, when Nightcrawler teleports (and travels through another dimension), he doesnt temporarily leave the 616 universe.

And then the other things (like Ultimate Universe) are alternate realites,

I'm not sure what exactly the 'cosmos' encompasses.
Who says NC doesn't leave 616 when he ports?

A dimension is just as easily a universe as a universe could be a pocket dimension i.e Franklin Richards' stupid ball.

Martian_mind
Who says NC doesn't leave 616 when he ports?

A dimension is just as easily a universe as a universe could be a pocket dimension i.e Franklin Richards' stupid ball.

But that pocket universe was connected to 616,so yes it was a dimension that was spawned from and connected to a universe,like i said so haha i was right and thus have the largest penis of all.

SpunkySmurph
Well, actually, 616 wouldnt just be a universe. It would be a 'reality'.

(Hence the multi-verse, etc.)

A dimension is a plane of existance that is connected to a Universe.
A cosmos encompasses everything within a specific dimension, within a universe, within a reality.

I think...

nvrbeenwthagirl
But that pocket universe was connected to 616,so yes it was a dimension that was spawned from and connected to a universe,like i said so haha i was right and thus have the largest penis of all.

What about in DC where the Dimensions are bigger and more powerful the higher they go? The 5th Dimension is not part of the DCU. Dr. Fate also called made a direct comparison between his dimension and one he had to destroy. They can't be part of the same universe.

long pig
Connected, yes. All universes are connected in some way. It was a separate reality inside a separate universe inside a separate cosmos.

HAH! like a can of pringles, man! That would be me!

Ethereal
I thought cosmos was just another empty term for "space"..

a dimension can basically be a pocket reality, either existing in a single universe in a higher or lower frequency, altho not hindering it to one single universe, they can be parallel to other dimensions or universes, magical based (like cytorrak) or cater to something specific, like the abstract dimension of manifestations, or a physical one like the dimension

a universe is what we know a universe is, stars, galaxies, galaxy clusters, all etiquitte's of space that are needed. Eternity.

P.S- Gotdamn my penis is small.

Doctor S.T.D.
Cosmos:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Cosmos

Universe:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Universe

Dimension:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Dimension

Omniverse:
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Omniverse

Multiverse:
http://www.reference.com/search?q=Multiverse

String Theory:
http://www.reference.com/search?q=String%20Theory

Large Penis:
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Human_penis_size

ThePittman
Just watched a show about the String Theory, some pretty cool stuff.

Doctor S.T.D.
Originally posted by ThePittman
Just watched a show about the String Theory, some pretty cool stuff.

Its probable bolloks though !

By Crom!
Originally posted by Doctor S.T.D.
Its probable bolloks though !

Indeed smile

By Crom!

leonidas
I've heard that Cosmos are bigger than Universes and Dimensions can be bigger than Cosmos. I've also heard the exact ****ing opposite.

So, if you're penis is large enough, answer my question! Well, IS IT LARGE ENOUGH?

I'll be forced to think that anyone who doesn't try to answer the question has a small penis. Sorry, it's just the way it works.

well, since you asked so nicely . . . roll eyes (sarcastic)

there IS no difference. or if there is, no writers seem to know. each of them are used interchangeably at least as often as anyone tries seperating them for distinction.

Mindship
Oh, what the hell...

A dimension, strictly speaking, is a direction, whether the direction is an extension in space 90 degrees to all other extensions, or, it is the direction a course of events takes, determining a history different from other possible histories.

A universe can have multiple dimensions in either sense, though in the latter, each (historical) dimension may be treated as a universe in its own right.

A cosmos, strictly speaking, refers to the state or condition of a totality, not necessarily the size of the totality per se, whereas universe refers to that totality specifically, its all-inclusiveness, regardless of condition.

However, Carl Sagan for example used the term Cosmos to refer to that all-inclusive totality, sometimes referring to a universe as a subset of conditions within that totality (implying the existence of many more conditional subsets / universes / historical dimensions).

So...
many spacetime dimensions = a universe
many historical dimensions = many universes = a multiverse
many multiverses = an omniverse / cosmos

Of course, this covers (simplistically) just the hardware of infinity...

youpi

leonidas
Originally posted by Mindship
Oh, what the hell...

A dimension, strictly speaking, is a direction, whether the direction is an extension in space 90 degrees to all other extensions, or, it is the direction a course of events takes, determining a history different from other possible histories.

A universe can have multiple dimensions in either sense, though in the latter, each (historical) dimension may be treated as a universe in its own right.

A cosmos, strictly speaking, refers to the state or condition of a totality, not necessarily the size of the totality per se, whereas universe refers to that totality specifically, its all-inclusiveness, regardless of condition.

However, Carl Sagan for example used the term Cosmos to refer to that all-inclusive totality, sometimes referring to a universe as a subset of conditions within that totality (implying the existence of many more conditional subsets / universes / historical dimensions).

So...
many spacetime dimensions = a universe
many historical dimensions = many universes = a multiverse
many multiverses = an omniverse / cosmos

Of course, this covers (simplistically) just the hardware of infinity...

youpi

were we dealing with real-world definitions, my friend, i might agree with you. but as earth's 'universe' has been referred to as a dimension many times in the past, and since cyttorak's crimson cosmos has been called both a dimension and a universe by strange . . . erm

i really don't think there is a way to say anything other than that they are interchangeable terms as far as comics go. sad

ps--you were strangely absent during the nice discussion we had in scoob's ALIVE? thread. seemed like a topic you might have been interested in. smile

Newjak
I agree with Leo in comics they are often interchangable to a large degree.

Although different companies in comics will use them quite differently.

Like Marvel I think likes to use Dimensions as places within Universes and as for the cosmos well that word is used so much by Marvel it really doesn't have a meaning to them. As for Universes it just seems to be one place in Marvel.

Anyways as for DC I don't know it seems to me that Universe is supposed to mean everything, Dimensions would kind of be like Marvel Universe equivalent. I mean it just seems that things like the fourth and fifth Dimensions all seem to be seperate entities not based on anything below them.

So basically it just comes down to terminology and how you want to use it.

Mindship
Originally posted by leonidas
were we dealing with real-world definitions, my friend, i might agree with you. but as earth's 'universe' has been referred to as a dimension many times in the past, and since cyttorak's crimson cosmos has been called both a dimension and a universe by strange . . . erm

i really don't think there is a way to say anything other than that they are interchangeable terms as far as comics go. sad
I can live with that. pizza

ps--you were strangely absent during the nice discussion we had in scoob's ALIVE? thread. seemed like a topic you might have been interested in. smile
Aw, nuts.
I'll check it out anyway.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.