Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lordofwar
Plot:
In the future, Jake, a paraplegic war veteran, is brought to another planet, Pandora, which is inhabited by the Na'vi, a humanoid race with their own language and culture. Those from Earth find themselves at odds with each other and the local culture.

Finally James Cameron is making a new movie.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Is this that new M. Night Shyamalan movie about the fish that is really an alien that is scared of water, but is really dead because it always breaks its bones and is really living in the present and is actually just a parable for our paranoid war-torn times?

Silverstein
no this is the OTHER Avatar movie, although like it mentions in the ign report that the Avatar last airbender film has the rights for the name Avatar as a film.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Well, it sounds good then. I've always enjoyed M. Night Shyamalan's twisty-turny movies...apart from Signs, The Village and The Lady In The Water which were all pretty shit.

Tex
Oooo, cant wait for this one. James Cameron is the king of sci-fi action. There has only been 3 good action movies in the past couple of decades...ALIENS...T2...Matrix...and now I'm sure...AVATAR. clap

dadudemon
Here's more information on this.

I'm excited for this.

http://io9.com/5322486/james-cameron-fought-the-studio-to-keep-his-aliens-weird-in-avatar

BruceSkywalker
didn't this just come out

dadudemon
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
didn't this just come out

Comes out in December of this year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/

jinXed by JaNx
I have definitely been excitedly anticipating this movie for the past year. Cameron has a lot to make up for. I hope he knocks this out of the park. I'm curious to see how the first person perspective filming works.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by dadudemon
Comes out in December of this year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/

sounds good..

poster..

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6057/avataresz.jpg

MildPossession
That poster is fantastic. For some reason that reminds me of the Animation called Fantastic Planet.

Mr. Rhythmic
sounds good..

poster..

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6057/avataresz.jpg

..."Titanic"? THAT'S the movie they went with for the poster?

Kazenji
The trailer of this movie will be on the net by the end of the week so i've read.

Scythe
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
..."Titanic"? THAT'S the movie they went with for the poster?

I know, but I would've, that movie made a shitload of money, meaning everyone and their dog went to go see it.

Kazenji
I never went to see

Scythe
Originally posted by Kazenji
I never went to see

I didn't either. It's not our forte it seems, but for it being one of the highest grossing movie, plenty of people went to go see it. You're probably the first person I read who hasn't seen it. I saw it for free when it came out on tv and it was alright, just not my kind of movie.

Mr. Rhythmic
Here's more information on this.

I'm excited for this.

http://io9.com/5322486/james-cameron-fought-the-studio-to-keep-his-aliens-weird-in-avatar

What involvement did Cameron have with "The Matrix"?

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Scythe
I know, but I would've, that movie made a shitload of money, meaning everyone and their dog went to go see it.

True, but he wants to draw in a sci-fi crowd, and since everyone and their dog have also seen "Aliens" and the first two "Terminator" movies, I'd go with those, because those are the people that will want to see this.

Placidity
James Cameron is a bloody Legend. I have no doubt this film will own.

dadudemon
I didn't either. It's not our forte it seems, but for it being one of the highest grossing movie, plenty of people went to go see it. You're probably the first person I read who hasn't seen it. I saw it for free when it came out on tv and it was alright, just not my kind of movie.

I've never seen Titanic. I've seen a few minutes of it. But it was too lame to watch it all, seriously.

What involvement did Cameron have with "The Matrix"?

Very little. I'm not sure what he atually did, if anything.

MildPossession
He had no input into The Matrix at all as far as I know.

Scythe
True, but he wants to draw in a sci-fi crowd, and since everyone and their dog have also seen "Aliens" and the first two "Terminator" movies, I'd go with those, because those are the people that will want to see this.

Everyone and their doggy who is in to sci-fi films has and should watch/ed Aliens, which doesn't make sense why they would advertise Titanic and not Aliens since this movie is a sci-fi flick. Looks to me like a decision based off how much money Titanic made.

MildPossession
It will not be a problem, all that know who he is should know about his science fiction work, and those who liked Titanic will be drawn to it, and a % of those probably would not have bothered if there was no Titanic link. Compared to the other way around.

Works out wonders. $$$$$$

jinXed by JaNx
Yeah, those who know and like Cameron are well aware of his resume and track record. A James Cameron movie doesn't need to advertise, Aliens, The Abyss and Terminator in order to attract Sci/Fi fans. Science fiction fans will only need to hear James Camerons involvement in order to be attracted. Besides, i really don't think Titanic was being used to attract a specific crowd. It's only being used because it was so incredibly successful. I think the casual movie fan would be more inclined to take a chance on a movie that was directed by the guy who is responsible for the most successful movie of all time rather than, Terminator. I also think some people here would be surprised at how many people have never even heard of Aliens or The Abyss. Other than older people and hardcore sci/fi fans, Aliens is most well known for AvP sad

Scythe
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Yeah, those who know and like Cameron are well aware of his resume and track record. A James Cameron movie doesn't need to advertise, Aliens, The Abyss and Terminator in order to attract Sci/Fi fans. Science fiction fans will only need to hear James Camerons involvement in order to be attracted. Besides, i really don't think Titanic was being used to attract a specific crowd. It's only being used because it was so incredibly successful. I think the casual movie fan would be more inclined to take a chance on a movie that was directed by the guy who is responsible for the most successful movie of all time rather than, Terminator. I also think some people here would be surprised at how many people have never even heard of Aliens or The Abyss. Other than older people and hardcore sci/fi fans, Aliens is most well known for AvP sad

I found one person in my life who has never seen nor heard of the movie Titanic, I nearly crapped my pants.

BruceSkywalker
New pics

Robtard
Looks elven with a bit of cat thrown in.

Kazenji
Latest pictures

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/New_Avatar_Pics_on_Eve_of_Trailer/5580

and 12 hours to go until the trailer is released.

Scythe
I'm excited about this, but I can't wait to read the hater's remarks:

"Not impressed!"

"We waited ten years for that?!"

Hahaha, I'm gonna enjoy this.

Ms.Marvel
hey... its that ugly chick from resident evil 1 !

Scythe
Haha

Robtard
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
hey... its that ugly chick from resident evil 1 !

**** me, I am excited about this, but that's the first nail in the coffin, can't stand Michael Rodriguez and her stupid chin-down-eyes-up-lips-pursed-out-because-I-think-it-looks-oh-so-tough idiot looks she always does.

Ms.Marvel
you just hare her cause shes a minority!

Robtard
Her being a sweaty wet-back is only half the reason, the other being her acting and that stupid look, in 12% and 38% increments respectively.

Altar[1stONE]
I concur with you sir

Robtard
Originally posted by Altar
I concur with you sir

Her death in Resident Evil was the highlight of the film, let the viewer know that from that point on, there would be no more of those looks.

Mr. Rhythmic
Saw the trailer.

Dude, this looks epic.

Mr. Rhythmic
Everyone and their doggy who is in to sci-fi films has and should watch/ed Aliens, which doesn't make sense why they would advertise Titanic and not Aliens since this movie is a sci-fi flick. Looks to me like a decision based off how much money Titanic made.

Which is odd, considering how far more popular his previous films were compared to "Shitanic".

Robtard
Cameron's also an arrogant prick who thinks Titanic is the zenith of film making. He's a decent director though.

Altar[1stONE]
I just saw the teaser too, and i guess i feel like the folks did at comic con, not that impressed. Im still trying to figure out why I should be though....I mean i know it was a shit movie, but didnt Final Fantasy The Spirits Within , try to promote the same kinda thing? I feel like ive seen this already, my minds not blown away or anything.

Update : Yeah, after 2 more trailer views, this cluster f**k of movies comes to mind: FF spirits within, 1000 BC, The Abyss, and the Warriors of Virtue LOL!

jaden101
Teaser trailer.

MildPossession
It does look very interesting but am I the only one slightly disappointed with some of the effects in this film? towards the end of the trailer in the other world scenes, it doesn't look anything like I was expecting in terms of the quality of the effects. It's not bad at all, don't get me wrong, there is just something that I can't put my finger on.

Might just be the small trailer.

It has a nice feel like The Abyss, so look forwards to that. Loved the last shot of the couple.

jaden101
Originally posted by MildPossession
It does look very interesting but am I the only one slightly disappointed with some of the effects in this film? towards the end of the trailer in the other world scenes, it doesn't look anything like I was expecting in terms of the quality of the effects. It's not bad at all, don't get me wrong, there is just something that I can't put my finger on.

It has a nice feel like The Abyss, so look forwards to that. Loved the last shot of the couple.

Apparently in 2D it isn't supposed to look all that great. In 3D, on the other hand, is supposed to be astounding.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by jaden101
Teaser trailer.

i was very impressed..

it looks fine since this is the first trailer.. Besides the cgi effects may not be completely done

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
Apparently in 2D it isn't supposed to look all that great. In 3D, on the other hand, is supposed to be astounding.

That's horrific news for me, as I don't care for 3-D movies and I do wish the trend would decrease, instead on increasing as its been.

MildPossession
^ I'm the same, not a fan of 3D films.

SnakeEyes
I, too, was not all that impressed by the CGI. I'll try to reserve full judgment till I see the actual film, but after all the hype, I was expecting lifelike creatures/environments.

I'm tempted to say that District 9's aliens looked better, which'd be crazy because District 9 was made for a fraction of Avatar's budget.

That said, I'm still extremely excited for this film.

Altar[1stONE]
Originally posted by Robtard
That's horrific news for me, as I don't care for 3-D movies and I do wish the trend would decrease, instead on increasing as its been.

You know what?.....It just came to me. What if this movie sucks ala Battlefield Earth, or Water World. And it goes down as the most over hyped/ over budget etc. film in history , I mean it could look visually stunning, but the story and characters might not be all that interesting. Im not really digging these blue aliens . They resemble that blue creature in the Animorph novels. I mean i saw things in the trailer that reminded me of the Matrix Revolutions for crying out loud . In other words, it seems to have been done. Then again , alot of things in the art culture seem to be getting redundant. Sign of the times...

If it does turn out to be a joke of a film, the 3D movie trend could evaporate. Due to the fact that director keeps emphasizing he's pushing cinema technology to its very heights. But when he delivers this thing , and the public still isnt impressed , the film industry might pull the plug , and tone down the 3D movies. I myself, have never really seen any of these new HD 3D films that have come out during the past years. Most of them seemed like kids film anyhow. But Avatar does seem mature, and im hoping it doesnt fail , and it is a beautiful masterpiece, just have to wait and see. It would then be the first 3D film ive seen since that Honey I shrunk the Kids ride/film at universal studios. I cant really tell if 3D is going to be the future of cinema or not, but im getting that vibe from the top movie studios. Seems they want to push it in that direction, are Holograms going to be the norm on the horizon?

Aside from that , im agreeing with most of the reaction and opinions on this page so far.

dadudemon
^ I'm the same, not a fan of 3D films.

I've never seen a movie in 3D. I will with this film, though. teeeeeheeee!

Kazenji
Looks great from the trailer

i shall be seeing it in december too.

jinXed by JaNx
THREE d

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by Altar
You know what?.....It just came to me. What if this movie sucks ala Battlefield Earth, or Water World. And it goes down as the most over hyped/ over budget etc. film in history ,

nothings going to happen. its james freakin cameron. even if he makes a dozen shitty movies hes going to still be known as like one of the greatest directors of all time.

Scythe

It has a nice feel like The Abyss, so look forwards to that. Loved the last shot of the couple. Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I, too, was not all that impressed by the CGI. I'll try to reserve full judgment till I see the actual film, but after all the hype, I was expecting lifelike creatures/environments.

I'm tempted to say that District 9's aliens looked better, which'd be crazy because District 9 was made for a fraction of Avatar's budget.

That said, I'm still extremely excited for this film. Originally posted by Altar
You know what?.....It just came to me. What if this movie sucks ala Battlefield Earth, or Water World. And it goes down as the most over hyped/ over budget etc. film in history , I mean it could look visually stunning, but the story and characters might not be all that interesting. Im not really digging these blue aliens . They resemble that blue creature in the Animorph novels. I mean i saw things in the trailer that reminded me of the Matrix Revolutions for crying out loud . In other words, it seems to have been done. Then again , alot of things in the art culture seem to be getting redundant. Sign of the times...

If it does turn out to be a joke of a film, the 3D movie trend could evaporate. Due to the fact that director keeps emphasizing he's pushing cinema technology to its very heights. But when he delivers this thing , and the public still isnt impressed , the film industry might pull the plug , and tone down the 3D movies. I myself, have never really seen any of these new HD 3D films that have come out during the past years. Most of them seemed like kids film anyhow. But Avatar does seem mature, and im hoping it doesnt fail , and it is a beautiful masterpiece, just have to wait and see. It would then be the first 3D film ive seen since that Honey I shrunk the Kids ride/film at universal studios. I cant really tell if 3D is going to be the future of cinema or not, but im getting that vibe from the top movie studios. Seems they want to push it in that direction, are Holograms going to be the norm on the horizon?

Aside from that , im agreeing with most of the reaction and opinions on this page so far.

Ahhh, there we go. I was expecting unimpressed tones. So was I. I started thinking, what the f*ck has to come out nowadays that'll make us crap our pants? We've basically seen everything. I want a time-machine so that I could show this film to people in the 1930's to see what sorts of reactions I'd get. Don't get me wrong, the film looks interesting, it's just that the hype was just.... there I guess...

Altar[1stONE]
Originally posted by SnakeEyes

That said, I'm still extremely excited for this film.

I wanted to comment on what you said earlier today, but i didnt want to state an opinion till I saw District 9. So seeing as I just did, i dont think its crazy at all to think the cgi in D-9 looks better then Avatar. Or at least more convincing, i can say with certainty during the MNU raid scenes (especially when Chris and the protagonist escape in that armored truck). That alien just looked so friggin real to me, my jaw was dropping . And it was so refreshing to be able to have that kinda experience at the movies again. So maybe the 3D aspect of avatar will have the same affect on me , im hoping it does. But without the 3d glasses , the animation in Avatar isnt really topping anything thats I haven't already seen in the Starwars prequels , or hell even Final Fantasy advent children.

Nemesis X
I don't know why but when I saw the trailer for Avatar, I felt like I was watching a different version of 10,000 B.C.

jaden101

jinXed by JaNx
Looks great.

Prince Nauj
so much hype for this movie left me dissapointed. It looks Blah.

jinXed by JaNx
Why?

Nemesis X
This movie feels like 10,000 B.C. gone Sc-Fi and I didn't even like the 10,000 B.C. movie that much.

jaden101
You just going to keep repeating that until someone reacts to it?

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Nemesis X
This movie feels like 10,000 B.C. gone Sc-Fi and I didn't even like the 10,000 B.C. movie that much.

fair enough but wow...,10,000 b.c?

I'm glad the trailer was finally released. I think it will slow the hype machine. I tried not to get myself to caught up in the hype. The things that i started hearing about this movie were beginning to get out of hand. I think this movie is going to be a refreshing movie.

MildPossession
The only similar thing that reminded me of 10,000 BC was the dreadlock style hair...

Prince Nauj
Why?
maybe they need to release another trailer. I dont know the aliens look blah

MildPossession
One review here of the first 15 minutes that was shown at various places:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2009/aug/21/avatar-footage-screening-review-3d-james-cameron

dadudemon
One review here of the first 15 minutes that was shown at various places:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2009/aug/21/avatar-footage-screening-review-3d-james-cameron

That sounds great. I am really looking forward to this film.

From what I can tell, I would rate this film an 8 out of 10, already, at the least.

roughrider
One thing that occurred to me later, seeing the wheelchair-bound Sam Worthington - even in the future, there's no funding for stem cell research. stick out tongue

darthmaul1
Saw the trailer and i am not impressed, the aliens don't look like the kamenions from episode II but they do look like the nelvaanians from the 2005 clone wars cartoon
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nelvaanian

Also is it suppose to look so CGI even the human characters in some scenes look partially CGI. Kind of looked final fantasy.

Don't know yet it may be that the effects aren't completely done?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Saw the trailer and i am not impressed, the aliens don't look like the kamenions from episode II but they do look like the nelvaanians from the 2005 clone wars cartoon
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nelvaanian

Also is it suppose to look so CGI even the human characters in some scenes look partially CGI. Kind of looked final fantasy.

Don't know yet it may be that the effects aren't completely done?

I don't think the effects are completely done which is why i will pass judgment after i see this

MildPossession
Again, you have to see the actual film to see the effects, not going to get anything really from the trailer in that sense.

Mairuzu
The only similar thing that reminded me of 10,000 BC was the dreadlock style hair... and that tiger like creature that was chasing him

Scythe
I'm gonna totally watch this in 3D when it comes out, it seems pretty neat.

Nemesis X
I wonder if the Avatar title ever confused anyone into thinking they thought this movie would be the one based on that Nickelodeon cartoon.

It looks like the humans will win this war with ease. I mean come on, they have gun ships and giant robots and the only things I've seen so far on the blue people side are spears and dragon-like creatures.

Ever since James Cameron announced this movie at E3 09, I thought this was a videogame until I found more info online. I hardly payed much attention to him because I was too busy with other E3 announcements. Strange, I thought E3 was only a game convention. Didn't realize that they showed movies also.

MildPossession
I've never heard of that animation on Nickelodeon. No confusion here. stick out tongue

darthmaul1
Unfortunatly i can't go see a 3D movie as i have a lazy eye, if it's the glasses with the red and blue.
I don't know about the one with the polarized glasses.

MildPossession
I thought corrective glasses work for lazy eyes?

dadudemon
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Unfortunatly i can't go see a 3D movie as i have a lazy eye, if it's the glasses with the red and blue.
I don't know about the one with the polarized glasses.

They don't use the red and blue ones anymore. At least, at none of the theaters I've been too.

darthmaul1
They don't use the red and blue ones anymore. At least, at none of the theaters I've been too.

Then there might be hope smile so do they use the black polarized ones?

MildPossession
For Avatar they are using polarised ones yes.

jinXed by JaNx
I heard they're using holograms instead of 3-d. It's going to be a HUGE surprise. It's going to chance cinema forever.

luo9670
i saw the trailer few days ago ... it is really awsome

Kazenji
Originally posted by Nemesis X

It looks like the humans will win this war with ease. I mean come on, they have gun ships and giant robots and the only things I've seen so far on the blue people side are spears and dragon-like creatures.

I bet that the blue people have some ancient super weapon on the planet somewhere.

The Nuul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6AAt-oV3wE

Scythe
I heard they're using holograms instead of 3-d. It's going to be a HUGE surprise. It's going to chance cinema forever.

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

BruceSkywalker
New Pics

teamB_macro
yeah i thought it was the airbender kid.. anyway read cameron's budget is $200 mil thereabouts.. wonder if it'll do a titanic

-Pr-
just watched the trailer. wow. looks very impressive. can't wait to see it.

hellotracy
this is cool one. man

FistOfThe North
Man o man. This looks like a fantasy movie for the ages. Can you say Academy Award for best visual effects?

It's the fourth most expensive movie ever made and anything Cameron's ever come out with has been pure awsomeness.

When i watched this trailer in theatres yesterday, i thought to myself so this is Avatar, that new James Cameron movie practically the whole worlds' been talking about. Thing is, while seeing, it i thought, this is why they were talking about it. I also learned that this isn't M. Night's 2010 project.

For a while I was confused about the 2 movies. ("The Last Airbender", which is also Avatar, it's just not in the title.)

This film looks like it may be too advance televisually and technologically speaking. It's gonna be in virtual 3d. (what the heck is that? holography perhaps?) Anyway I can't wait to see it. The story sounds cool and i like that Sam Worthington's in it. He's a good actor. He stole the show from C. Bale in "Tmessed", imo.

Graphically it looks like a blend of Star Wars ep.3 and Starship Troopers.

When this comes out in Dec. i'll be in line on opening day at the closest Imax there is.

MildPossession
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarized_3D_glasses

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-241532803911842846

It helps with film piracy too apparently unless a 2D edition is released too.

FistOfThe North
This "Avatar" movie seems like a big deal. I was CNN.com reading about it and the film sounds like good news for the industry. Here are a couple of things i found interesting in that article about James Cameron's "Avatar":

-------------------------------------------------

- it's a technically-advanced 3D science fiction epic that some are saying will revolutionize the way we watch movies.

- The 3D is going to be mind-boggling. He may indeed be pushing 3D to another level.

- "Avatar" is a combination of live action and photo-realistic CGI and is being touted as a huge leap forward in film technology -- likened to the first movie in sound or with Technicolor.

- the most advanced camera rig using stereoscopic (3D) cameras yet for the film.

- It has lenses that mimic the human eye.

- In July, Cameron showed a 25-minute preview to fans at Comic-Con in San Diego and since then frothing commentators have described "Avatar" as everything from mind-expanding to the future of cinema.

- His peers are impressed too: Ridley Scott says he is filming upcoming sci-fi adaptation "Forever War" in 3D after seeing some footage of "Avatar."

- "Iron Man" director John Favreau described the film as "a game-changer" and says he thinks it is "the future."

-------------------------------------------------------

I think more than anything, maybe even more than it's story, "Avatar" is meant to be a visio-technological trendsetter for the film industry, for the better.

3D, photorealism, then virtual reality, then holography will be the future in film technology. Followed by video games the internet then phones. And it all (really) starts with "Avatar". and i'm super amped and pumped up and crazy exited about it. This is what i've dreamed of as a kid. We are on our way to "Total Immersion". And who knows, maybe, and dare i say, even television or holographic interaction?

The future is here. This could change things for the new next gen game consoles coming out in a couple of years, as well, cause of this film. It's time to make next gen games 3D for the new next gen consoles.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Robtard

Why don't you embrace new 3d tech in film. The ultimate movie experience lies in practically "being there". And (advanced)3D filmography brings us close to that.

2 dimensional televewing is getting quite old and stale if you ask me. And i forsee it on it's way out the proverbial tech door and into oblivion within a decade, that it can make way for higher dimensions strickly for our viewing benefit, experience, and pleasure.

I can't wait for the transition. Digital was the last advancement a few months back. And whatever will be next will be even greater and sooner than i expect with how fast tech exponentially advances.

Robtard
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Why don't you embrace new 3d tech in film. The ultimate movie experience lies in practically "being there". And (advanced)3D filmography brings us close to that.

2 dimensional televewing is getting quite old and stale if you ask me. And i forsee it on it's way out the proverbial tech door and into oblivion within a decade, that it can make way for higher dimensions strickly for our viewing benefit, experience, and pleasure.

I can't wait for the transition. Digital was the last advancement a few months back. And whatever will be next will be even greater and sooner than i expect with how fast tech exponentially advances.

The 3-D for me takes away from getting engrossed in the film, I know it should do the opposite, but it doesn't. I also tend to get a mild headache from some 3-D films. The glasses are also not so stylish.

-

I finally watched the trailer; this film looks a bit on the epic side. Definitely will be seeing this in theaters.

MildPossession
Yes I really want to watch a film like Revolutionary Road in 3D...

As long as it sticks to Science Fiction, Action etc, and also still have the choice to see it normally, I'm happy.

BruceSkywalker
NU IMAGE

-Pr-
NU IMAGE

the detail on that pic is insane.

MildPossession
See I got all confused there, the link took me straight to the image of the the woman holding the gun, like how on earth does that fit in with the film... then I looked above. Looks wonderful.

Altar[1stONE]
Originally posted by -Pr-
the detail on that pic is insane.

I can see her space dandruff

dadudemon
NU IMAGE

I know this is obvious, but the nose looks like a cat's.

And, that interview I posted a couple of pages back with James Cameron: he said he wanted to make the aliens look different. So different that it would be slightly difficult for some to find them attractive and, therefore distance themselves slightly from the relationship while not deviating too far from being humanoid as to not be weird about it. (Like mating with a tentacle creature. While some hentai fans might like that, it doesn't appeal to all.)

My opinion: She looks good to me. naughty I don't know what he was talking about. Alien looks hot.

coolmovies
I seen the trailer it looks good

FistOfThe North
damn that female Na'vi looked so genuine when she was crying.;

And i loved the "this is great.." part. It looks so ...real, lol!

i imagine what the 3d might be like at times. or how i'd like it to be like.

for example the part where alien Sam had all those alien blue fire files floating all around him as he just looked on with amazement with his arm kinda out, i imagine, during that scene, those things flying behind theatre audiences, as much as in front of them.

like if you'd turned around in your seat to look you see a few of 'em floating by...

K.Diddy
beer Dont know what all the hype is about this movie, I find 3D annoying,anyway

Kazenji
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
damn that female Na'vi looked so genuine when she was crying.;

And i loved the "this is great.." part. It looks so ...real, lol!

i imagine what the 3d might be like at times. or how i'd like it to be like.

for example the part where alien Sam had all those alien blue fire files floating all around him as he just looked on with amazement with his arm kinda out, i imagine, during that scene, those things flying behind theatre audiences, as much as in front of them.

like if you'd turned around in your seat to look you see a few of 'em floating by...

Well it is Cameron he does know how to push special effects to the next level and also have a decent movie along with it.

Kazenji
More pictures

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=60264

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by K.Diddy
beer Dont know what all the hype is about this movie, I find 3D annoying,anyway

I don't know, i'd like to think the 3-D in Avatar will be groundbreaking, i doubt it will be groundbreaking but i think the majority of the hype stems from Cameron returning to making films. This movie should actually be great to watch in Imax 3-d since it was shot on film for Imax.

Kazenji
and Cameron usually does push the Special Effects in his movies just take a look at T2 back in the day.

MildPossession
http://buzzcuts.uproxx.com/movies/9089

New trailer, bootleg unfortunately, so might be taken down.

Looks fantastic.

jinXed by JaNx
oh man, thanks a lot MP, that looks sooo good.

BruceSkywalker
http://buzzcuts.uproxx.com/movies/9089

New trailer, bootleg unfortunately, so might be taken down.

Looks fantastic.

yeah this looks like a good movie

Kazenji
4 Min Featurette

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=60460

FistOfThe North
I have a very good feeling about this movie and have confidence in James Camron. I believe he's made a great film.

Kaworori
Looks too much like Star Wars or, somewhat hypothetically, Braveheart in space (I'll entertain that idea a while longer) for me. Was hoping for some hard science fiction from James Cameron.

FistOfThe North
this does look like hard sci fi.

and it at least looks better than anything sci fi that's been out, for years.

Kaworori
Braveheart on Baudrillard pills doesn't look like hard science fiction at all to me. Of course, this is just the trailer, but it's not winning me over.

I'm not sure why you would say it looks better than any science fiction that has come out for years: we've had three very good science fiction films this year and one of them, Moon, is probably the best I've seen in years. Not holding out for Avatar, sorry, Papyrus smile.

SnakeEyes
The trailer had me really pumped until Sam Worthington actually became his Avatar, then it looked kind of cheesy; the Na'vi look kind of lame... Obviously I'll still go see this, should be a fun ride/enjoyable cinematic experience if nothing else.

jaden101
I really don't know why people are bothering looking at stuff online for this movie. It wont even begin to give you an idea of what it will actually be like on the big screen.

SnakeEyes
Because people always watch movie trailers for upcoming movies. I don't see how this one's an exception. I know it's in IMAX/3D, but still...

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Kaworori
I'm not sure why you would say it looks better than any science fiction that has come out for years: we've had three very good science fiction films this year and one of them, Moon, is probably the best I've seen in years.

i meant visually. we know the story's gonna be good cause Cameron's directing it.

and i never heard of "Moon". i'll check into it..

doan_m
Looks all right. Will do it for the impressive looking action scenes but beyond that, i'm not particularly fond of the whole "noble savage" routine.

Kazenji
30 sec tv spot

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=60651

roughrider
After seeing the new, expanded trailer, I just hope there's more to this story, because I feel I've seen everything. It's a SF melding of Dances With Wolves & The Emerald Forest, where someone goes native and joins the tribe while the oppressive white man approaches. It's gotten old, man. roll eyes (sarcastic) Plus Cameron is using the same hardware we've seen in Aliens and The Abyss, and Stephen Lang's character reminds me too much of Michael Biehn's Coffey from The Abyss.

I'll wait to see the film before I make up my mind, though.

Ms.Marvel
i dont know weither or not to be disappointed by the fact that it took cameron 10 years to conceive one of the most overdone plots in the history of the world.

Kazenji
i dont know weither or not to be disappointed by the fact that it took cameron 10 years to conceive one of the most overdone plots in the history of the world.

The 10 years thing is really more to do with technology he was after for the movie.

dadudemon

Is the plot boy meets girl? Cause, that's not the plot.

Is it humans versus aliens? Cause, that no the plot, either.

Is it "man explores new world"? That's also not it.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean as I am unable to figure out what the most common plot for a movie is, other than boy meets girl. (Which the movie is not.)

jayce78
I honestly don't know a thing about the world of Avatar. But it looks so fantastic , I just have to give it a looksie. Definitley one of my top films of the Holiday season , without a doubt.

jinXed by JaNx
Why are people complaining that it took Cameron ten years to make another movie? The guy was heavily involved in other projects. If i made the worlds highest grossing movie of all time i'd probably take a little "me time" as well. I'm not sure that i'd spend five years of that, "me time" exploring the ocean depths though. Cameron was busy with all that underwater crap and documentaries. I really don't think Cameron is a very creative Director but had he wanted to, i'm sure he could have pumped out mindless noise like all of the other Summer Blockbuster directors.

jayce78
Cammeron had to wait 10 yrs. for the tech to catch up with the treatment that he wrote in '95'. Hell , my mom and my sister even thought this looked cool , last time I was over. And there definitley not big Scienece fiction fans. Cameron has a great track record for big fun filmaking . . . Terminator & Terminator 2 , Abyss , Titanic , Aliens , True Lies. Definitley looking foward to this.

Ms.Marvel
im the only one in my family who wants to see it -__________-

jayce78
im the only one in my family who wants to see it -__________-

You can be a part of my family , . . . .

The James Cameron kick ass movie family. You can build the treehouse , I'll hang the curtains.

Kazenji
exclusive video where Jake Sully tries to escape from the clutches of a Thanator

IZUeFzuK6LM

FistOfThe North
^ wow.. wow.

It'll be a sci fi/fantasy epic for the ages.

1 or 2 legendary films of this type comes along about every 20 years and this is gonna be one of them.

Ms.Marvel
honestly? whats the big deal about that? mediocre monster/human chase scene through and through TBH...

the only thing noteworthy about this movie so far that Ive seen is that the cgi looks good for a cartoon. thats... about it. aside from the art i havent seen anything about this hasnt been done better in other movies.

im going to see it anyway but i think that its biggest competition for sci-fi movie of the year will be against star trek and district 9 and both of those movies will kick its ass. ill reserve judgment though. smile

dadudemon
honestly? whats the big deal about that? mediocre monster/human chase scene through and through TBH...

the only thing noteworthy about this movie so far that Ive seen is that the cgi looks good for a cartoon. thats... about it. aside from the art i havent seen anything about this hasnt been done better in other movies.

im going to see it anyway but i think that its biggest competition for sci-fi movie of the year will be against star trek and district 9 and both of those movies will kick its ass. ill reserve judgment though. smile

The quality of CGI probably has something to do with how well it was mixed into the environment...something rarely done well. (But still done.)

However, that's just about the only thing that stuck out to me. The CGI seemed a tad...what is it....jerky/choppy to me. I don't see anything ground breaking about it, either. We probably cna't judge it based on what we see in a youtube vid. No doubt that the surface textures are out of this world. I look forward to it.

I'm with FoTN, on this. Cept, every 5 years, not 20.

Robtard

I mostly agree with you. CGI here is great, but it has a cartoonish aspect.

While the alien Mech in District 9 looked basically real, from the its movement, to the aged looked, the wear-and-tear they did on it was top-notch.

Kazenji
Read a thing on this in the new Empire Mag

Apparantly some people on net have been saying certain scenes for this movie are a rip off from the game Halo

And Cameron's reponse to that is "Is'nt Halo just Aliens?".

Ms.Marvel
halo?

what? o.o they dont even appear to have the same plots. at all.

though. the story for this looks worse. imo. ermm

Kazenji
halo?

what? o.o they dont even appear to have the same plots. at all.

I said "Scenes" not plots............idiot

Ms.Marvel
i didnt say you said plots, idiot. erm

Kazenji
Well obvisouly i said

so wheres your connection before you have a go at me....

Ms.Marvel
first off, go at you? even if i was wrong how does that warrant you insulting me?

second off, cameron's response "isnt that game about aliens means, "isnt the story I.E. plot about aliens?"

it... should of have been obvious man.

Scythe
If the ending of the movie turns out to be a dream sequence some guy had, I'm gonna shit my pants, and probably be pissed.

Ms.Marvel
that would be pretty funny. laughing out loud

Scythe
that would be pretty funny. laughing out loud

If I watched the film for free, yeah, it would. If I spent $10.50 to watch that crap ending, not so much, heh.

Altar[1stONE]
I read the effects are marvelous , but the story is lacking and possibly cliche....somehow I can sense where they may be coming from with this.

FistOfThe North

everytime i see anything avatar (filmwise) i'm wowed by it, period.

I look at the film from a higher algebra. I think Avatar isn't just a movie. It's a significant technological trend setter. A bar raiser. An example to be considered by other film makers especially in the department of special effects. Sure the story is what it is however generic but i don't think getting the story out is Cameron's only (or even most important) goal. He wants for a more immersive movie theatre experience for audiences. And avatar is what he's going to utilize for that concept.

Lokk at avatar as a beta and if you didn't like the story you could always chalk it up to fodder at the expense on what he's trying to accomplish in and for the industy.

Robtard
The story isn't anything new, just another spin on the old tale, guy gets to know the enemy, guy falls in love with the enemey, guy realizes his side is the 'evil' side. Ala Dances With Wolves, The Last Samurai and others that escape me right now.

Still be watching this.

Ms.Marvel
yeah but thats the other thing... what is so marvelous about the technology used in this? the cgi doesn't even look believable at all. even the dinosaur looking thingy looks fake... 1991 Jurassic park did a better job in that regard. im pretty sure we've been pumping out the level of graphics that avatar is offering for awhile now.

Robtard
yeah but thats the other thing... what is so marvelous about the technology used in this? the cgi doesn't even look believable at all. even the dinosaur looking thingy looks fake... 1991 Jurassic park did a better job in that regard. im pretty sure we've been pumping out the level of graphics that avatar is offering for awhile now.

One thing Cameron is known for, is for making shit out to be greater than it is. Terminator 2 was a good movie, but not nearly as good as The Terminator, yet people masturbated over it like it was the second coming. Don't get me started on that turd called Titanic, marketing genius, that was.

Ms.Marvel
yeah.... ill see it anyway though too. at least so i can say that i saw it.

youre right though i always thought t1 was wayyy better than t2! i liked aliens more than alien though.

FistOfThe North
I'm with FoTN, on this. Cept, every 5 years, not 20.

Maybe not 20 at times but at least 10-20 years. And i said legendary, not great. Great movies in the genre come out about every 5 yrs but legendary status is about at least every 10-20 years.

Like for example you had 20,000 leagues in the 1916, king kong and flah gordon in the 30's, the blob in the 50's, 2001 and planet of the apes in the 60's, Star Wars in the 70's, Aliens, Terminator, and Blade Runner in the 80's, Total Recall, Matrix, Jurassic Park and T2 in the 90's, And Star Trek '09, and Avatar in the new millenium.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>