Just how effective are condoms against pregnancy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lord xyz
I've seen too many figures and its annoying. I want the truth. I've seen/heard all the following percentages:

93%
94%
94.5%
0% -- Yeah, I know that's a lie
96%
97% -- most common
98%
99.(something)%

So what percentage have you heard? And which is actually right?

PVS
too general a question. if you consider std's which transfer by contact like crabs and genetal herpies its not very effective at all. against aids and other fluid transmitted diseases, assuming it doesnt break/have holes, its your best bet.

lord xyz
Originally posted by PVS
too general a question. if you consider std's which transfer by contact like crabs and genetal herpies its not very effective at all. against aids and other fluid transmitted diseases, assuming it doesnt break/have holes, its your best bet. Against pregnancy, I guess I should've stated that.

PVS
against pregnancy? i would say 100% effective assuming complete functionallity of the condom. the lesser percentage is due to defects in whatever percentage of condoms and human error in using them, i believe.

Storm
Originally posted by lord xyz
Against pregnancy, I guess I should've stated that.
An estimated 2 to 5 percent of condoms break or tear during use. Used in addition to any other birth control methods, it can result in almost 100 % contraceptive success.

Mic Assasin
Pretty much what PVS said.

soin2cal
I do not dare to have it, not as i even find it naturallaughing out loud
But these risks are still there.

debbiejo
Beware of people that poke holes in them........ fear

fini
due to failure rates of the condom, presence of semen after the condom has been removed........ the success rate of condoms in preventing pregnancy is between 75-80%.......... got that from my obgy

Robtard
Originally posted by fini
due to failure rates of the condom, presence of semen after the condom has been removed........ the success rate of condoms in preventing pregnancy is between 75-80%.......... got that from my obgy

Seems a bit low don't you think? Condoms if used properly don't tend to break, it's usually user error instead of defective products. After 20-25 minutes of sex, it's best to stop take off and put on a new condom... They're not made to last hours and hours.

As far as "presence of semen after..." That isn't the condom's fault if you continue to have sex afterwards without a condom and residual semen on the penis causes a pregnancy.

fini
exactly, people use condoms, and chances are that they do not use it properly.

Its not only due to the effectivness of the condom that give that percentage, human error is factored into it.

Strangelove
If the guy uses a comdom and the girl is taking birth control, there should be no chance for pregnancy.

lord xyz
Originally posted by PVS
against pregnancy? i would say 100% effective assuming complete functionallity of the condom. the lesser percentage is due to defects in whatever percentage of condoms and human error in using them, i believe. That is what I thought, but they don't tell you that. It's like those statistics between races, ages, about penis size or something, all they do is ask random people then publish their result.

Another thing, how much sensetivity do you use, and what is the chance of getting a woman pregnant without any contraception? Now the way I see it, if the woman has sex round about a day after her period stopped, then there should be little or no chance of pregnancy right?

Punkyhermy
is it even fun having the condom on?
confused

Storm
Another thing, how much sensetivity do you use, and what is the chance of getting a woman pregnant without any contraception? Now the way I see it, if the woman has sex round about a day after her period stopped, then there should be little or no chance of pregnancy right?
If you are trying to avoid getting your girlfriend pregnant, find a real method of birth control!

Bardock42
Originally posted by Storm
If you are trying to avoid getting your girlfriend pregnant, find a real method of birth control!

Fertility tests are used as a method of contraception, though in more sophisticated ways than lord xyz implied.

But as has been pointed out, condoms used correctly in combination with another form of birth control gives you a near 100% chance of avoiding pregnancy. If you are a male that chance even increases.

fini
right, yeah .... there are a lot of other factors into getting pregnant other than the effectiveness of a condom

Bardock42
Originally posted by fini
right, yeah .... there are a lot of other factors into getting pregnant other than the effectiveness of a condom

'tis a major one (if one is used of course)

Properly done it is the safest method (besides not ****ing (or serious surgery)

PVS
Originally posted by Robtard
Condoms if used properly don't tend to break

horseshit

sorry dude, but...horseshit

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
horseshit

Well, I guess if you define "condom broke" as "not used properly" he is right.

Then again, I am just talking from what my sex ed teachers told me. So..any hot women out there who want to help me with my practical research?

FeceMan
The effectiveness of condoms is directly proportional to the intellect of the user.

PVS
sweeping generalisation

win

FeceMan
Originally posted by PVS
sweeping generalisation

win
Of course.

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
sweeping generalisation

win

Aww, someone got his High School sweetheart pregnant. That's sooo cute.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Bardock42
That'd be back in '68 or so, wouldn't it?

PVS

no no no. always give it a quick pre-pop check and you'll be fine. however im saying that they do break

Bardock42
Originally posted by FeceMan
That'd be back in '68 or so, wouldn't it?

Nah, he's not that old.....you are a year off, I think it happened at Woodstock.

PVS
Nah, he's not that old.....you are a year off, I think it happened at Woodstock.

i was born around the time of nixon's resignation. the roots of me being a liberal antichrist

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
i was born around the time of nixon's resignation. the roots of me being a liberal antichrist

You could be my father....scary.

Rogue Jedi
i had one break before...scaaaaaaary.

Robtard
Originally posted by PVS
horseshit

How so? I said they dont tend to break, not "they never break"; if used properly of course.

raguah
huh i dont understand with the %s

lil bitchiness
I've seen too many figures and its annoying. I want the truth. I've seen/heard all the following percentages:

93%
94%
94.5%
0% -- Yeah, I know that's a lie
96%
97% -- most common
98%
99.(something)%

So what percentage have you heard? And which is actually right?
The only 100% method of contreception is not having sex. Simple as that.

As a rule, condoms are complitely safe, however, if you reseach people having sex with a condom regulay, a small pecentage of them will end in pegnancy - accedents can and do happen.

PVS
How so? I said they dont tend to break, not "they never break"; if used properly of course.

its too bold a statement. faulty condoms are too common considering the stakes. its not rare at all.

doesnt matter though. if you remember to give it a quick check before the big finale you shouldnt find yourself crying to god for a miracle abortion.

FeceMan
Yeah, you should throw yourself down a flight of stairs.

PVS
but...that might hurt

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by PVS
but...that might hurt

one word . . .

morphine

PVS
droolio

tabby999
The effectiveness of condoms is directly proportional to the intellect of the user.

i agree for the most part, condoms arn't 100% foolproof but nothing is, chances are the reason it broke is because it was opened with teeth or something equally stupid like that. there is obviously going to be a certain number of faulty ones made, but thats why they have a warning on the wrapper.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by PVS
against pregnancy? i would say 100% effective assuming complete functionallity of the condom. the lesser percentage is due to defects in whatever percentage of condoms and human error in using them, i believe.

Anyone who's had sex and experienced a condom breaking can feel it happen. I love how people act like the tearing and/or breaking of the condom isn't happening on the most sensative, most-observed area of the mans anatomy. My brother pulled that shit when his girl friend called and told my mother she was pregnant. I can understand knowing it broke and not caring due to teh physicality of the moment, but I can't understand not knowing. I mean, when the condom ring slides down to the base of your cock, you can feel it.

PVS
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Anyone who's had sex and experienced a condom breaking can feel it happen. I love how people act like the tearing and/or breaking of the condom isn't happening on the most sensative, most-observed area of the mans anatomy. My brother pulled that shit when his girl friend called and told my mother she was pregnant. I can understand knowing it broke and not caring due to teh physicality of the moment, but I can't understand not knowing. I mean, when the condom ring slides down to the base of your cock, you can feel it.

i dunno. i had one break on my and didnt notice. the only reason i checked was i felt a faint snap and sure enough it was broken. i imagine if i was just a bit less aware i might be a dad.

FeceMan
droolio

Adam_PoE
droolio

Do not drool in relation to the penis of my boyfriend. I am the only one who gets to drool over his cock. Move along.

reggie_jax
edited

wuTa
Originally posted by Punkyhermy
confused

No, but its funner than raising a child you didn't plan for, or are not ready to raise.

botankus
Seems a bit low don't you think? Condoms if used properly don't tend to break, it's usually user error instead of defective products. After 20-25 minutes of sex, it's best to stop take off and put on a new condom... They're not made to last hours and hours.

I try to change one every 50 minutes or 5,000 thrusts, whichever comes first.

Soleran
Originally posted by Punkyhermy
confused

Yes, but it does feel different then raw dogging the ride.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Strangelove
If the guy uses a comdom and the girl is taking birth control, there should be no chance for pregnancy.

L laughing out loud L Z!

My sister and brother in-law would love to hear that, as they had their first daughter when she was on the pill and he was using a condom.

Though I'm sure it was due to leaving it on after cumming, or something. Human error of course, but it's still funny and we tease them about it. stick out tongue

Robtard
Originally posted by botankus
I try to change one every 50 minutes or 5,000 thrusts, whichever comes first.

That's only 1.67 thrust a second... Not much of a "speed-pounder" are you eh?

PVS

bad math.

:edit:

5000 thrusts per 50 minutes = 100 thrusts per minute = .6 seconds per thrust...thats fairly quick

botankus

Well, my calculations may be off a little bit. See, my partner is usually a bit perturbed at the stopwatch in one hand and the grocery store clicker in the other, so that pounding average may not be entirely accurate.

Robtard
Originally posted by PVS
bad math.

Huh? I rounded up, but if you want to be anal retentive it's really 1.666666 thrust a second.

edit: I did it ass-bakwards... I did 50 mins = 3000 secs. 5000 thrust in 3000 = 1.666666

Robtard
Wait a second... I said TPS (Thrust per second), you did SPT (Seconds per thrust)...

PVS
Originally posted by PVS
5000 thrusts per 50 minutes = 100 thrusts per minute = .6 seconds per thrust...thats fairly quick

face it. thats 100 thrusts per 60 seconds. you're math is flawed stick out tongue

Robtard
Originally posted by PVS
face it. thats 100 thrusts per 60 seconds. you're math is flawed stick out tongue

Look above... You're talking SPT, I was talking TPS and clearly TPS is what matters. smile

Edit: Regardless, can we at least agree that Botankus cannot f**k?

Soleran
And lets face it, at 100 thrusts per minute after 50 of those minutes condems are going to be the last thing on your mind.

Better get out the wheelchair cuz someone's not gonna be walking for awhile after that.

PVS
hey, you're right. (well, we're both right)

however at the same time i must disagree that nearly 2 thrusts per second can be considered slow to anyone who is not extremely jacked up on coke

Robtard
Originally posted by PVS
hey, you're right. (well, we're both right)

however at the same time i must disagree that nearly 2 thrusts per second can be considered slow to anyone who is not extremely jacked up on coke

Ever seen rabbits? They must be somewhere near a 3.4 TPS average.

But yes, 1.67 isn't slow, I just like busting Botanki balls.

botankus
Yeah, back in the college days, I was pushing about 8.14 TPS. I've fallen off considerably, as now it's more in the 0.44 TPS range. It's like slow motion. sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.