Real Physics Vs. Comic Physics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ThePittman

King Kandy
comics have been known to apply some wanky "Comic Physics"...

The best example of this is the different methods of time-travel.

Evangel94
You cannot depend on real world physics in comic books. When you read comic books, you're supposed to suspend disbelief and ignore any scientific misgivings.

ThePittman
Originally posted by Evangel94
You cannot depend on real world physics in comic books. When you read comic books, you're supposed to suspend disbelief and ignore any scientific misgivings. However if you are going to say power X will work on character B you need to have the level of X, if it is not stated how powerful then how will you know it will work?

Beta Ray Howard
Depends on your universe. DC tends to forget physics completely sometimes, whereas Marvel will apply it nine times out of ten, as will Wildstorm.

I say it's a flexible prospect.

Bentley
I like to back my arguments with physics if posible, but DC has some twisted conceptions of that which are not good places to develop physics.

Alfheim
Comic physics are different from real world physics. If they were the same you wouldnt have mutants. You still have to use logic, but its based on the general showings of the superheroes.

I would say though unless the comics prove otherwise, you can use real world physics. Lasers are faster than arrows but some superheroes have been shown to move faster and throw objects faster than lasers.

Beta Ray Howard
There's also differences in how things are represented. In DC, it's obvious that black holes are sans an Event Horizon, where they exist in Marvel, etc.

don't shiv
comic physics are what "real" physics could be if man tapped the full potential of his mind.

Einstein at most used 11% or so of his brain capacity.

in asia there are people who demonstrate mind over matter abilities
youknowwhatimsayindontcha'

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by don't shiv
comic physics are what "real" physics could be if man tapped the full potential of his mind.

no, no, no and shut up

Alfheim
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
no, no, no and shut up

There was no need for that.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Alfheim

big grin

Yes there was. I can't stand consipiracy theorists presenting random nonsense as fact.

I will take back the "shut up" though

inamilist

no, comic physics in many cases work counter to how we even currently understand the world.

No, all humans use pretty much 100% of their brain, most of it is for unconscious processing of stimuli and autonomic functions within the nervous system

No there are not, and no they can't. Any individual able to do such a thing, or the person that found him, would win a Nobel prize, along with thousands of other awards, including MILLIONS of dollars (James Randi offers 1 million dollars to anyone who can prove any supernatural phenomena in a objective test). Afaik, nobody has won it for being delusional yet.

there totally was

Alfheim
Bro havent you heard of Qi gong and Shaolin Monks? confused

King Kandy

Bullshit, there's not one scrap of evidence for that.

Over in the philosophy forum, some people claimed the same thing, but when asked for proof they couldn't supply any.

Symmetric Chaos

I have

I have also never seen Shaolin Monks alter reality at a whim

inamilist

Bro, have you heard of Chariots of the Gods and The Reptilian Agenda

Or whoever that psychic chick is that Oprah always brings out, or John Edwards

So: Yes, I have, they are no different than claims of holy water or psychic detectives.

Oh ya, and I SWEAR that I HONEST TO GOD saw David Copperfield fly.

Originally posted by King Kandy
Bullshit, there's not one scrap of evidence for that.

Over in the philosophy forum, some people claimed the same thing, but when asked for proof they couldn't supply any.

exactly smile Its just some old "truism" that people don't use 100% of their mind. In reality, Pretty much everything in the brain is used for something, the closer you look at it, the more specific it becomes.

Alfheim
Originally posted by inamilist
Bro, have you heard of Chariots of the Gods and The Reptilian Agenda

Or whoever that psychic chick is that Oprah always brings out, or John Edwards

So: Yes, I have, they are no different than claims of holy water or psychic detectives.

Oh ya, and I SWEAR that I HONEST TO GOD saw David Copperfield fly.

*sigh* im not saying that I think people can fly or there are reptiles. What im saying is there are some people who can push themselves beyond normal human capability. I havent seen anybody fly but I have seen stuff that could be considered to be supernatural.

Symmetric Chaos
*sigh* im not saying that I think people can fly or there are reptiles. What im saying is there are some people who can push themselves beyond normal human capability. I havent seen anybody fly but I have seen stuff that could be considered to be supernatural.

Well sure people can push themselves but they can only go so far

ThePittman

Alfheim
Well sure people can push themselves but they can only go so far

Maybe. We shall see what humans can do when they combine science with meditation.

inamilist

http://www.randi.org/research/index.html

Then I bet you could use an extra million dollars

not to mention every significant scientific award, and probably notoriety for thousands of years akin to what Einstein, Newton or Aristotle have earned.

Magee
*sigh* im not saying that I think people can fly or there are reptiles. What im saying is there are some people who can push themselves beyond normal human capability. I havent seen anybody fly but I have seen stuff that could be considered to be supernatural. Im pretty sure reptiles exist and how about some evidence to back up your claims?

Alfheim
http://www.randi.org/research/index.html

Then I bet you could use an extra million dollars

not to mention every significant scientific award, and probably notoriety for thousands of years akin to what Einstein, Newton or Aristotle have earned.

I can see where this is heading, im just going to leave it here, your probably going to start insulting me like you did last time.

inamilist
Maybe. We shall see what humans can do when they combine science with meditation.

Sam Harris and his colleagues are already looking into this with help from the Dali Lama and other monks.

They have found amazing insight into how to live a happy life, how to be content and other existential things to do with the human condition. They have also made amazing discoveries that will help define consciousness. It is VERY important for us to be researching meditation and the ideals that lead Buddhists to have different neural connections and density due to their behaviour.

HOWEVER. There will never be anything close to what you are claiming. Mind over matter is BS.

Doctor S.T.D.
Originally posted by Beta Ray Howard
Depends on your universe. DC tends to forget physics completely sometimes, whereas Marvel will apply it nine times out of ten, as will Wildstorm.

I say it's a flexible prospect.

I'm sorry mate, but that isn't entirely true, D.C. on the whole are far better at applying pseudo physics than Marvel. Its a misconception that a lot of people have. Although the two are as bad as each other. IMO, Warren Ellis is the only guy who is any good at introducing any real science into Super hero comics. Morison is not bad, although he usually prefers using Wacky ideas without dealing with the consequences. The Flashes Infinite mass punch is the best example of this.

Doctor S.T.D.

You are young and naive, and have probably watched Akira too many times.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Doctor S.T.D.
You are young and naive, and have probably watched Akira too many times.

whats wrong with Akira?

Alfheim
Originally posted by Magee
Im pretty sure reptiles exist and how about some evidence to back up your claims?

I saw a Qi gong master practcing the empty force. One minute he was standing still the next minute he lost his balance and went flying into a wall. Considering nobody pushed him there must have been some force that did it.

I can heal faster than I used to be there are some specific injuries I have problems healing. For example I used to have an eye infection where I would need to use antibiotics. Now all I have to do is focus on the eye to get rid of it. Well you asked!

King Kandy
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/342190_1-what-are-humans-capable-of-if-we-were-to-use-100-of-our-brain-capacity

It has been debated, and a concensus reached.

Doctor S.T.D.
whats wrong with Akira?

Good film, bad science !

grey fox
Originally posted by Doctor S.T.D.
Good film, bad science !

Awesome film and awesome fictional science.

All this talk of brain capacity got me thinking. If we COULD control the remaining parts of our brain (Note : Usage and control are two very different things) then would we become Deathstroke lites ?

Doctor S.T.D.
Originally posted by grey fox

All this talk of brain capacity got me thinking. If we COULD control the remaining parts of our brain (Note : Usage and control are two very different things) then would we become Deathstroke lites ?

Quite possibly yes, Deathstroke Capatin Ammericva esque humans are very possible. Although G.E. will probably be involved.

Endless Mike
Well it depends. When you see Hyperion crashing into the north pole and saying "I caused one teraton of damage" then you have a solid real world basis to go on.

However when you see Hulk punching through a time - storm.... then you're on your own.

Doctor S.T.D.
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Well it depends. When you see Hyperion crashing into the north pole and saying "I caused one teraton of damage" then you have a solid real world basis to go on.

However when you see Hulk punching through a time - storm.... then you're on your own.

Sorry, i didn't really understand what u are getting at ?

inamilist

I can heal faster than I used to be there are some specific injuries I have problems healing. For example I used to have an eye infection where I would need to use antibiotics. Now all I have to do is focus on the eye to get rid of it. Well you asked!

Here is where it all gets really sticky smile

Meditation, as it is hypothesized, may increase the awareness one has of their own neural processes. So, some scientists even today are proposing that through intense meditation, you are able to build neural connections between the parts of your brain responsible for consciousness and other parts... Unfortunately I don't know too much more about this.

Other cool research along these lines has been done including: If you are surrounded by people who you like versus people who you don't, you will metabolize more nutrients from your food. Also, I think they may have even done this at my lab wink (a couple of years ago before I got the photocopy guy job stick out tongue) they found that even just the act of thinking about exercising your thumb can cause an increase in its strength. Not nearly as much as someone who really did the thumb exercise, but much more than those who did neither.

It does seem like certain conscious processes can stimulate neural connections. The extent of this is really unknown, however, I would think there are lots of things that we wouldn't want conscious control over. Regulation of heartbeat or of homeostasis would be almost useless for us to control, as would our equilibrium. However, being able to consciously take control of our Working memory or other attention based resources could probably enable us to process things faster. Thats an opinion that I can't back up by anything other than saying it makes sense.

Alfheim
As for the Qi gong master flying back into a wall. Energy fields explains it, as far as I know everything has an electromagnetic field. When you meditate you tap into it. For example when I meditate my temperatue increases eventhough im not even moving.

By Crom!

ThePittman

Doctor S.T.D.

inamilist
As for the Qi gong master flying back into a wall. Energy fields explains it, as far as I know everything has an electromagnetic field. When you meditate you tap into it. For example when I meditate my temperatue increases eventhough im not even moving.

no, not to be blunt, but that is probably better understood as a hindsight or conformation bias.

Electromagnetic fields and "energies" play much less of a roll in the human experience than some people would like others to believe.

Think about it, if you have an EM field, or if the EM fields in your brain were that crucial and important and powerful, wouldn't magnets be intensely dangerous?

inamilist

Alfheim
no, not to be blunt, but that is probably better understood as a hindsight or conformation bias.

Huh? You mean I saw what I wanted to see..lol

Electromagnetic fields and "energies" play much less of a roll in the human experience than some people would like others to believe.

Think about it, if you have an EM field, or if the EM fields in your brain were that crucial and important and powerful, wouldn't magnets be intensely dangerous?

Well I guess so, at any rate when you meditate you can feel this energy. The Chinese call it Chi and they said the nearest thing in physics that it is similar to is Electromagnetic energy. Electromagnetic energy is the only explanation I can think of which expalins some of the things that happen.

As far as I know electromagnetic energy at certain doses is actually good for you and when it courses through your body it has a similar feeling as you get when you meditate.

By Crom!

For that matter I wouldn't want to stand at either pole if they were. Magnets though are more to do with quantum domain theory and connective subatomic forces than the E.M. spectrum of course, which I am sure having read how good many of your posts are you are aware of.

Excellent point by the way.

The thing is almost everything is part of the E.M. field visible light, U.V. Infrared, Microwaves etc all fall along it. Amplitude is often the issue when we talk about E.M. fields. The bigger the force behind a wave the more powerful that wave is. Frequency of course also plays a role as coherent E.M. energy is focused and therefore more intense as it all travels at the same rate.

You are of course right though I think we should forget real world Physics in comics.

inamilist
Huh? You mean I saw what I wanted to see..lol

Well I guess so, at any rate when you meditate you can feel this energy. The Chinese call it Chi and they said the nearest thing in physics that it is similar to is Electromagnetic energy. Electromagnetic energy is the only explanation I can think of which expalins some of the things that happen.

As far as I know electromagnetic energy at certain doses is actually good for you and when it courses through your body it has a similar feeling as you get when you meditate.

Right off the bat, I want to say, no, you did not "see what you wanted to". To be honest, I think that is a really disrespectful phrase, because if I were saying that, it would basically be the same as me saying "You are deluded because you refuse to see things my way".

You did really see and perceive the things you are talking about. However, from a strictly psychological standpoint, the type of introspection you are using to explain them is at best deceptive. Not just for you, for any of us, and in much more banal circumstances. It is the same as the way that you interpret the actions of a person as being associated to the "personality" you perceive them as having.

So, in the cases of the Qi Gong and the Meditation, you have a stimuli that you are not absolutely sure of the origin of. Master flying into wall and body heat increasing respectively. Your mind will fill in that origin without you being aware of it, so the fact that you know that chi energy flows through you will when you meditate will cause you to associate that explanation with the phenomena. There is also the case that subconsciously holding a belief about something will alter your perception of the events. In this case, because you associate a increase in temperature with chi activity, you will REALLY get warmer when you meditate.

I'm really optimistic about the future of research into meditation, I think there are many things that Eastern philosophies are thousands of years ahead of us in understanding. However, they are as far behind us in scientific understanding (this is much less true of modern times, this is more of an explanation of, oh, maybe just before "the last Samurai" took place). A better way of putting this would be, "I wouldn't trust a 2000 year old philosophy to answer questions of modern science".

Alfheim
Right off the bat, I want to say, no, you did not "see what you wanted to". To be honest, I think that is a really disrespectful phrase, because if I were saying that, it would basically be the same as me saying "You are deluded because you refuse to see things my way".

You did really see and perceive the things you are talking about. However, from a strictly psychological standpoint, the type of introspection you are using to explain them is at best deceptive. Not just for you, for any of us, and in much more banal circumstances. It is the same as the way that you interpret the actions of a person as being associated to the "personality" you perceive them as having.

So, in the cases of the Qi Gong and the Meditation, you have a stimuli that you are not absolutely sure of the origin of. Master flying into wall and body heat increasing respectively. Your mind will fill in that origin without you being aware of it, so the fact that you know that chi energy flows through you will when you meditate will cause you to associate that explanation with the phenomena. There is also the case that subconsciously holding a belief about something will alter your perception of the events. In this case, because you associate a increase in temperature with chi activity, you will REALLY get warmer when you meditate.

I'm really optimistic about the future of research into meditation, I think there are many things that Eastern philosophies are thousands of years ahead of us in understanding. However, they are as far behind us in scientific understanding (this is much less true of modern times, this is more of an explanation of, oh, maybe just before "the last Samurai" took place). A better way of putting this would be, "I wouldn't trust a 2000 year old philosophy to answer questions of modern science".

Fair enough, thats a very reasonable response to my thread. I personaly do belive in the supernatural BUT at the sametime I know I could be wrong. I personaly think that humans have great potential but im just not sure what it is. There is some evidence to indicate that the supernatural exists but its not clear cut.

Im sure sooner or later though I will find out, but im also interested in areas of research such as Cybernetics.

inamilist
Originally posted by By Crom!
For that matter I wouldn't want to stand at either pole if they were. Magnets though are more to do with quantum domain theory and connective subatomic forces than the E.M. spectrum of course, which I am sure having read how good many of your posts are you are aware of.

Excellent point by the way.

The thing is almost everything is part of the E.M. field visible light, U.V. Infrared, Microwaves etc all fall along it. Amplitude is often the issue when we talk about E.M. fields. The bigger the force behind a wave the more powerful that wave is. Frequency of course also plays a role as coherent E.M. energy is focused and therefore more intense as it all travels at the same rate.

You are of course right though I think we should forget real world Physics in comics.

embarrasment

lol, with that post alone you showed you have 100x more knowledge of EM than I.

But yes, thank you, cosign and agree Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

By Crom!
embarrasment

lol, with that post alone you showed you have 100x more knowledge of EM than I.

But yes, thank you, cosign and agree Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Seriously though, your posts are some of the most thought out and best on here.

Alfheim
Seriously though, your posts are some of the most thought out and best on here.

Sheesshh you've only been here a week I think.....

Symmetric Chaos
Sheesshh you've only been here a week I think.....

So you don't think he could have been looking at older posts by Inimalist?

Alfheim
So you don't think he could have been looking at older posts by Inimalist?

Geeeezz calm down. Im just jealous.

By Crom!

Don't be, you're a generally very polite guy in threads. Which is also cool.

Symmetric Chaos

I'm quite calm don't worry.

Alfheim
Don't be, you're a generally very polite guy in threads. Which is also cool.

Awww shucks. I have to admit I can be a bit stubborn though. sad

By Crom!
I'm quite calm don't worry.

Yes and like you said "I could have looked back" although I actually just meant "from what I have seen". Thanks for the support anyway mate. Although I won't compliment people ever again if I have to explain why to everyone. I do think Inamalist and Prof STD make some excellent posts at the moment.

ThePittman
base power is based on how it is shown in the comics

Its really deadly to bring in real world science to PROVE things in these debates

It is less objectionable to use them as analogies. For instance, when it says on panel that Magneto has full control of the EM spectrum (or whatever) we have to assume that the Marvel Universe's EM spectrum is at least similar enough to the one we use for it to be relevant for the writers to have used that term.

I know everyone is tired of talking about Storm, but she is a great example. Her powers of weather control, if you try to explain them in a purely scientific fashion, especially the mechanisms behind her powers, she turns into a god like matter manipulator with full EM control and yadda yadda yadda. It makes sense, given all the minute changes that must occur at many levels for mass weather patters to change, but at the same time, changes the nature of her character completely. I know that you can explain everything in comics with real world physics, but they also use it to develop characters as well. As with Magneto, first he could only control metal, then the iron in your blood then to using a magnetic field to move non-metal objects and so on. It is easier to compare a power in the same company such as DC or Marvel because it is likely the character that they fought has fought the other but when crossing over it becomes harder to compare without a frame of reference.

inamilist
awwwww shucks, you guys...... you guys!

ThePittman
Awww shucks. I have to admit I can be a bit stubborn though. sad eek!

stick out tongue

Alfheim
Originally posted by ThePittman
eek!

stick out tongue

Yeah like that debate we had about Gambit and Cap. I kept telling you that you were wasting my time, well at least I can admit when im wrong....it happens too many times though....so im trying to think before the next time I say it. Same **** happened with Marvelprince.... sad

awwwww shucks, you guys...... you guys!

Can you feel the love! Group hug, group hug! LOL

ThePittman
Yeah like that debate we had about Gambit and Cap. I kept telling you that you were wasting my time, well at least I can admit when im wrong....it happens too many times though....so im trying to think before the next time I say it. Same **** happened with Marvelprince.... sad

Can you feel the love! Group hug, group hug! LOL group

grey fox
My knowledge of Electro-Magnets is pretty poor but as already stated if we had our own personal Electro-Magnetic field (For the love of all thats HOLY dont call it Chi or bad things will happen) wouldn't we short out PC's or be immune to electricity ?

Symmetric Chaos
My knowledge of Electro-Magnets is pretty poor but as already stated if we had our own personal Electro-Magnetic field (For the love of all thats HOLY dont call it Chi or bad things will happen) wouldn't we short out PC's or be immune to electricity ?

no not really a minimal amount of EM won't damage electronics

the human body and many things produce small EM fields but not at an impressive level

grey fox
no not really a minimal amount of EM won't damage electronics

the human body and many things produce small EM fields but not at an impressive level

The way Alfheim was talking about it , it sounded as if he was manipulating a reasonably large sum of energy. Just to simply fling himself across a room or increase his body temp ?

Anway would it be theoretically possible to enhance our natural EM field somehow ? Even manipulate it ? (Although I have a feeling doing so would cause ones brain to fry)

inamilist
The way Alfheim was talking about it , it sounded as if he was manipulating a reasonably large sum of energy. Just to simply fling himself across a room or increase his body temp ?

Anway would it be theoretically possible to enhance our natural EM field somehow ? Even manipulate it ? (Although I have a feeling doing so would cause ones brain to fry)

We already can manipulate it, I'm not sure if EM would be the way that we "enhanced it" however, as EM fields are more of a side effect to general neural processing. And, like By Crom was saying, its a matter of intensities.

As one neuron sends a signal to another, it is passed as an electric charge down what is called an axon to the synapse, where one cell's "arm" (the axon) meets the next cell (at it's dendrite). As the electrical signal is passed from one neuron to the next, there are what are known as "brainwaves" formed by the neural activity.

So, pretend there is a place in your brain that processes faces specifically (there is). When you look at a face, the neurons in that part of the brain will begin to fire (re: produce the electric signal and send it to it's connected neurons). Since brain cells can only fire at one intensity (ie, it is always the same strength) and only increase or decrease their rate of fire (there is always some amount of fire though) there is a change in the electrical charge in the localized facial processing part. A "brainwave" is formed by activation or inhibition in one part of the brain, and is directly caused by the increase or decrease in activity of neurons in that part of the brain.

So, by thinking or processing something, you are affecting your EM fields. How is that for a glib answer wink

To be honest, electromagnetic fields, as far as I know, are really not all that important to human experience. While at the level of the neuron or of the molecule, they are very important, they are never really strong enough to affect more than the molecular or cellular level. To us, it is almost better to understand them as byproducts of molecular and biological processes, not the initiators or causes for such things.

... Hopefully thats mostly right...

grey fox
We already can manipulate it, I'm not sure if EM would be the way that we "enhanced it" however, as EM fields are more of a side effect to general neural processing. And, like By Crom was saying, its a matter of intensities.

As one neuron sends a signal to another, it is passed as an electric charge down what is called an axon to the synapse, where one cell's "arm" (the axon) meets the next cell (at it's dendrite). As the electrical signal is passed from one neuron to the next, there are what are known as "brainwaves" formed by the neural activity.

So, pretend there is a place in your brain that processes faces specifically (there is). When you look at a face, the neurons in that part of the brain will begin to fire (re: produce the electric signal and send it to it's connected neurons). Since brain cells can only fire at one intensity (ie, it is always the same strength) and only increase or decrease their rate of fire (there is always some amount of fire though) there is a change in the electrical charge in the localized facial processing part. A "brainwave" is formed by activation or inhibition in one part of the brain, and is directly caused by the increase or decrease in activity of neurons in that part of the brain.

So, by thinking or processing something, you are affecting your EM fields. How is that for a glib answer wink

To be honest, electromagnetic fields, as far as I know, are really not all that important to human experience. While at the level of the neuron or of the molecule, they are very important, they are never really strong enough to affect more than the molecular or cellular level. To us, it is almost better to understand them as byproducts of molecular and biological processes, not the initiators or causes for such things.

... Hopefully thats mostly right...

Hmmm...I kinda get that.

When we process these things it causes a charge between the various neurons etc. This charge is always at a certain level but can never get really any higher (On the flipside though it can get lower) . The charge itself is what causes our natural Em field.

Have I got it ?

inamilist
Hmmm...I kinda get that.

When we process these things it causes a charge between the various neurons etc. This charge is always at a certain level but can never get really any higher (On the flipside though it can get lower) . The charge itself is what causes our natural Em field.

Have I got it ?

ya, pretty much, its weird stuff smile

It can get higher, only because more neurons would be firing at a higher rate.

However, the intensity of the EM field and all that is, for the most part, completely unrelated to the processing itself.

Soljer
Real world physics and calculations can only come into play when:

A) The comics do not give an explanation already. The Flash didn't go twenty seven point three billion times the speed of light. He went JUST under light speed - we are told this.

and
B) The feat happening obeys the laws of physics.

How many pounds per square inch do characters exert when they punch through reality?

Seriously. Calculate the required amount of force to punch a hole in spacetime.

ThePittman
Originally posted by Soljer
Real world physics and calculations can only come into play when:

A) The comics do not give an explanation already. The Flash didn't go twenty seven point three billion times the speed of light. He went JUST under light speed - we are told this.

and
B) The feat happening obeys the laws of physics.

How many pounds per square inch do characters exert when they punch through reality?

Seriously. Calculate the required amount of force to punch a hole in spacetime. 2

stick out tongue

Priest
if real world physics apply to comics, no oe will be able to travel faster than lightspeed.

Soljer
Originally posted by ThePittman

stick out tongue

no

It's always 42.

I recall hearing about a crazy physics professor who actually gave a midterm in which EVERY question was rigged to have 42 as the correct answer.

I mean, the problems were all on various classical mechanics and the like. Varying difficulties, no multiple choice.

All of 'em were fourty two.

Ptr_Grifin
An example why real world physics can't be used in comics is the Hulk.

If real world physics were applied, well over half of his feats would be void.

When he braced the 150 billion ton mountain, it would have driven him into the ground like a hammer and a nail, or the mountain would have crumbled around him. He did not cover or support enough surface area.

Destroying a dimension by thunderclapping....

Braking a island from its foundation and "swimming" it to a continent would be impossible.

Dreampanther
*As a philosopher in our part of the world once said: 'The artifacts of a sufficiently advanced extraterrestrial civilization would be indistinguishable from magic.'

-Devi Sukhavati, an Indian character in Carl Sagan's Contact, 1985
Part II, "The Machine", Chapter 11, "The World Message Consortium"

qqqqqqq
the only thing i know about real physics is Einstein

By Crom!
Allow me to explain a little about Axon's its not really an electro magnetic Field that does the work. A small amount of magnetism is created when any current is passed through a conductor. The axon itself though is depolarised and it is current (an electrical signal) transfers the signal to the synapse. At the synapse chemical messengers like Gabba and ACh are released and these pass the signal to other neurones.The chemical messenger or neuro transmitters are broken down by esterases.

Now on Chi bizarrely (and I would love to find a link) has been tracked (or something has) using a heat camera when summoned by practitioners of Quigong. The area iron shirt Quigong experts make hard has been found to be warmer. It is supposed this is a physiological response where connective tissue has become packed with Oxygen making it harder. Although the exact nature is supposition.

Dreampanther

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.