Who Gets Your Vote For Worst Rock Guitarist?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ILUVQueensryche
I was wondering who you thought was the worst guitarist?

My votes: C.C. DeVille - Poison and Mick Mars - Motley Crue

Thoughts?

BobbyD
Mick Mars, Motley Crue

Impediment
Why are they the worst?

20 years ago they were rock n' roll icons, made more money than you ever will, and have banged more women than you.

What have you ever done?

ILUVQueensryche
This is not about their band or their conquests. It's simply about their guitar playing ability.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Impediment
Why are they the worst?

20 years ago they were rock n' roll icons, made more money than you ever will, and have banged more women than you.

What have you ever done?

laughing out loud

Duuude, I don't care how much snatch Mick got in his life, or how much $green$ he made. I'm just saying he (Mars) was a bad guitarist. That Crue still made fair-decent music is ok by me. wink

BobbyD
Originally posted by ILUVQueensryche
This is not about their band or their conquests. It's simply about their guitar playing ability.

Correct.

Funkadelic
Me

Alpha Centauri
Why are they the worst?

What have you ever done?

You ask why they are the worst, and then state things that, funnily enough, wouldn't stop them being the worst even if they were.

Being icons, being rich, and being promiscuous doesn't make them good.

I love that stupid "What have you done?" argument. It's the fastest way to hurl your own opinion out of the window.

-AC

Arctic
Jimi Hendrix....lamo

laughing.............tongue_ss

el_barto
Originally posted by Arctic
Jimi Hendrix....lamo

laughing.............tongue_ss

.......Why don't you type like... words, instead of smilies? It'll make you seem less stupid.

Kurt Cobain

amity75
Can't agree with the Mick Mars thing. I always thought he was very underrated.
Worst rock guitarist? Noel Gallagher. Boring pentatonic shite.

jaden101
yngwie malmsteen...****ing total gimp...took a god given talent and made it sounds like a cat getting slowly squashed under a steam roller...what a total arse

amity75
God I fkn hate Yngvie wanksteen. He's made a career out of copying every great guitarist and getting their talents and wiping them on his shitty arse and putting them out on record as his own compositions.

Arctic
Yeah, that was lame...I know. But I was bored.

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by jaden101
yngwie malmsteen...****ing total gimp...took a god given talent and made it sounds like a cat getting slowly squashed under a steam roller...what a total arse Agreed

BobbyD
yngwie malmsteen...****ing total gimp...took a god given talent and made it sounds like a cat getting slowly squashed under a steam roller...what a total arse

Does that make him a bad guitarist though? Maybe it makes him a poor business man, but not a bad guitarist. We all know the speed freak's got talent. erm

Alpha Centauri
Yes, talent for being a speed freak.

When he writes a song that is void of complete technical wankery and...regular wankery, we can talk.

-AC

dirkdirden
Never really put much thought into the worst guitar player but Green Day has some very easy and lame guitar riffs they get the award for me.

RedAlertv2
Green Day's simplicity > Malmsteens boring technical crap

dirkdirden

BobbyD
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

When he writes a song that is void of complete technical wankery and...regular wankery, we can talk.

-AC

But, that's not what this thread is about, AC.

Lana

PVS
kirk hammett

yeah, i said it.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Lana
Just because something is simple it does not make it bad, just as something being the "hardest and fastest" does not make it good.

Indeed. But no one here can discount Malmsteen's talent. That's the point. Now if worst guitarist also means more than perhaps it can be opened up to interpretation.

When someone asks me who I think the worst guitarist is, I think of someone other than me, who actually went somewhere in real life and made money off of his poor guitar playing. I don't necessarily want to just single out Mick Mars, but he's the first to come to mind.

He plays stuff beginners learn on their first day of lessons.erm

Lana
Originally posted by BobbyD
Indeed. But no one here can discount Malmsteen's talent. That's the point.

Thing is, though, you could have all the talent in the world and still play like shit.

dirkdirden
after just a few weeks of playing guitar I learned Brain stew one of there most popular songs.

|-7-7--5-5--4-4--3-3-2-2-|-7-7--5-5--4-4--3-3-3-3-2-2-2-2-
|-5-5--3-3--2-2--1-1-0-0-|-5-5--3-3--2-2--1-1-1-1-0-0-0-0-

so simple it hurts but still a cool song.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Lana
Thing is, though, you could have all the talent in the world and still play like shit.

Now that would be a waste of a gift. sad

dirkdirden

BobbyD

Alpha Centauri

dirkdirden
Nobody is saying he isn't a good guitarist, technically.

Creatively he sucks.

-AC

But his technical skills are good enough that there is no way he should be on any worst guitarist list; maybe a worst originality or style list, but not the worst rock guitarist list.

el_barto
Originally posted by dirkdirden
after just a few weeks of playing guitar I learned Brain stew one of there most popular songs.

Do you really need a tab for that?

dirkdirden
Originally posted by el_barto
Do you really need a tab for that?

After only one week of playing yes I sadly did. But I wouldn't need it now.

jaden101
But his technical skills are good enough that there is no way he should be on any worst guitarist list; maybe a worst originality or style list, but not the worst rock guitarist list.

he makes crap music...crap rock music...hence he's a crap rock guitarist

i didn't doubt his talent and i mentioned it when i brought him up

but playing stupidly fast arpeggio's doesn't make for good rock guitar music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjEnCbc0HVc

see...sounds like shit

BobbyD

I'm confused. I'm thinking that those 2 statements cannot exist mutually exclusive of each other.

You're saying he's either a bad guitarist, or he makes bad music.

They're two different things.

RedAlertv2
Hes a bad rock guitarist because he makes bad rock music.

amity75
Originally posted by PVS
kirk hammett

yeah, i said it. Totally agree there. I've said that for years and always been shot down for it. He's the weakest link in Metallica. Too much wah and not enough thought.

BobbyD
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Hes a bad rock guitarist because he makes bad rock music.

Well, if he chooses to play crap, that is his perogative. But we all know better. He is not a bad guitarist. To suggest otherwise is silly.

BobbyD
Originally posted by amity75
Totally agree there. I've said that for years and always been shot down for it. He's the weakest link in Metallica. Too much wah and not enough thought.

I'd have never come up with him. Are his dificiences hidden/covered up by the band's overall talent?

Jeepers, Metallica rocks. But, it could be that I like them so much that I've never noticed. messed

jaden101
I'm confused. I'm thinking that those 2 statements cannot exist mutually exclusive of each other.

You're saying he's either a bad guitarist, or he makes bad music.

They're two different things.

there you go...not that tough really is it?

it could be argued that jose gonzalez is a decent guitarist...and he has some talent...but most likely...given what he plays...that he is also a crap rock guitarist...the difference being he doesn't play rock music

malmsteen tries and fails miserably to play rock music...

where as when he plays his classical stuff with a full orchestra...it actually sounds quite good except that he uses a pick instead of finger picking...

amity75
I'd have never come up with him. Are his dificiences hidden/covered up by the band's overall talent? That's probably it in a nutshell. smile

BobbyD
there you go...not that tough really is it?

It is tough. ...because I don't see it that way.

stick out tongue

jaden101
It is tough. ...because I don't see it that way.

stick out tongue

ok...he has talent in so far as he can play fast...

he has no talent so far as he cant write a decent rock song to save his life

Nellinator
where as when he plays his classical stuff with a full orchestra...it actually sounds quite good except that he uses a pick instead of finger picking...
I love Malmsteen with an orchestra. It's dynamite.

tabby999

ok ok ok, we get it, greenday write simple songs. but when we're talking about who is the "worst" guitarist, shouldn't you find out if Billy Joe can actually play, i'm sure that he didn't learn power chords and go "well theres my curiosity peaked, lets make Dookie!" I'm sure he can shred with the best of them after so long playing, but on the flip side, i could be wrong.

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by tabby999
ok ok ok, we get it, greenday write simple songs. but when we're talking about who is the "worst" guitarist, shouldn't you find out if Billy Joe can actually play, i'm sure that he didn't learn power chords and go "well theres my curiosity peaked, lets make Dookie!" I'm sure he can shred with the best of them after so long playing, but on the flip side, i could be wrong. He has some solid solos on Smoothed Out Slappy Hours (pre-Dookie). This video has some good examples, although the person who made it kept adding in the simple solos from American Idiot. Still, I'd say its proof Billie Joe is better than people give him credit for.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5EohcNfPREU

el_barto

but playing stupidly fast arpeggio's doesn't make for good rock guitar music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjEnCbc0HVc

see...sounds like shit

I was most offended by this one, how dare he call this shit blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhWlbCJM2Vo

Impediment
You ask why they are the worst, and then state things that, funnily enough, wouldn't stop them being the worst even if they were.

Being icons, being rich, and being promiscuous doesn't make them good.

I love that stupid "What have you done?" argument. It's the fastest way to hurl your own opinion out of the window.

-AC

Except C.C. DeVille and Mick Mars, in my opinion (if that even matters to you, A.C.) are accomplished guitarists. Are they up to par with, say, Dimebag Darrell or Yngwie Malmsteen? No, they aren't. But does that mean that they automatically suck because they were members of 80's hair metal bands? I don't think so.

tabby999
Pantera were hair metal before they became awsome, people tend to happily forget that

jaden101
Pantera were hair metal before they became awsome, people tend to happily forget that

as were alice in chains to a lesser extent...all hair and cheesy riffs...then..thank the lord...layne discovered heroin and it all got soooo good...

amity75
I've really got a cheek to make comments as to the worst guitarist in rock. I'd give one of my testicles to have the talent of any of the guys mentioned so far.

jaden101
Originally posted by amity75
I've really got a cheek to make comments as to the worst guitarist in rock. I'd give one of my testicles to have the talent of any of the guys mentioned so far.

but the ones mentioned...while they may well have talent and some of them in abundance...dont use their talent well or at all...

BobbyD
Except C.C. DeVille and Mick Mars, in my opinion (if that even matters to you, A.C.) are accomplished guitarists. Are they up to par with, say, Dimebag Darrell or Yngwie Malmsteen? No, they aren't. But does that mean that they automatically suck because they were members of 80's hair metal bands? I don't think so.

I want to clarify that they don't suck because they were part of 80's hair metals bands-no. They stink because they don't possess talent to do anything other than rip off simple chords and riffs, that kids after 1 year of guitar lessons can do.

ILUVQueensryche
Personally, I'm not a guitarist. I can dabble on guitar and play piano. I guess I'm like one of those actors that want to sing or singers that want to act. The grass always seems to be greener...

I find myself being one of those people that can be super-critical of piano-players and awe-inspired by guitarists.

I really, really like Malmsteen's stuff. Maybe his lyrics are a little bit lacking, but he amazes me as to what he can do on the fretboard.

I kind of liken him to Robin Williams. Robin Williams is funny and really can't help being funny. He's been funny for so long, even when he's not trying to be funny he comes across...funny! It's almost a sickness.

Malmsteen is fast and really can't seem to slow himself down. Even when he plays blues, he burns up the scales. I don't think that he knows how to slow himself down. If he did, what kind of music would he play?

I'm still in awe of him. C.C. DeVille, on the other hand...

Nellinator
Originally posted by ILUVQueensryche
Personally, I'm not a guitarist. I can dabble on guitar and play piano. I guess I'm like one of those actors that want to sing or singers that want to act. The grass always seems to be greener...

I find myself being one of those people that can be super-critical of piano-players and awe-inspired by guitarists.
I'm exactly the same. I can't help, but think what an amazing piano play Malmsteen could have been because his super fast shredding would sound so much better that way.

tabby999
I want to clarify that they don't suck because they were part of 80's hair metals bands-no. They stink because they don't possess talent to do anything other than rip off simple chords and riffs, that kids after 1 year of guitar lessons can do.

So after one year of lessons a kid should, by your statement, be able to handle Crue's back catalouge? I understand they didn't make the most technical music but it seems more that you dont like what they're playing, not how they're playing it.

Alpha Centauri

How does that relate to what you originally said about their monetary earnings and sexual conquests? Those are irrelevant, don't raise them in a debate about music.

-AC

BobbyD
So after one year of lessons a kid should, by your statement, be able to handle Crue's back catalouge? I understand they didn't make the most technical music but it seems more that you dont like what they're playing, not how they're playing it.

Okay, okay....embellishing a little.

But duuuude, I love Crue's music....fun and occasionally raunchy. My taste for their music and Mars' talent are 2 totally different topics.

Smokin in the Boys Room
Girls, Girls, Girls
Shout at the Devil
Home Sweet Home

Man, they rock.

But please, Mars wasn't really all thaaat good. I think he fit the band perfectly (for what they needed). My bet is if you ask him to play something a touch more complex-he'd be lost.

BobbyD
How does that relate to what you originally said about their monetary earnings and sexual conquests? Those are irrelevant, don't raise them in a debate about music.

-AC

Indeed. wink

tabby999
Okay, okay....embellishing a little.

But duuuude, I love Crue's music....fun and occasionally raunchy. My taste for their music and Mars' talent are 2 totally different topics.

Smokin in the Boys Room
Girls, Girls, Girls
Shout at the Devil
Home Sweet Home

Man, they rock.

But please, Mars wasn't really all thaaat good. I think he fit the band perfectly (for what they needed). My bet is if you ask him to play something a touch more complex-he'd be lost.

Fair enough, i dont think he is the most talented guy out there either but i think you made it sound like he was worse than he is. And you have to remember he cleaned his act up long before the other Cure members, being a musician he prolly spent weeks on his own with a guitar

Victor Von Doom
Yngwie Malmsteen isn't the worst rock guitarist, is he?

That's just a stupid thing to say.

RedAlertv2
Well technically we could never name the worst, since he probably sucks so bad no one has heard of him. So this thread is essentially Least Favorite/Most Overrated

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Well technically we could never name the worst, since he probably sucks so bad no one has heard of him. So this thread is essentially Least Favorite/Most Overrated

More or less everyone says Malmsteen's music is shit, so he isn't nearly the most overrated.

Least favourite, perhaps.

Though I am wary of telling the thread starter what thread they should have made/ did make.

tabby999
i think you just did wink

Victor Von Doom
i think you just did wink

Your stroke is both clouding your judgment, and causing you to wink.

Alpha Centauri
Tell 'em, Vic-wk.

-AC

jaden101
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Yngwie Malmsteen isn't the worst rock guitarist, is he?

That's just a stupid thing to say.

if you compare what his technical ability makes him capable of putting out with the reams and reams of absolute drivel that he does put out...i'd say it's quite valid to say he's potentially the worst

fair enough...alot of rock guitarists put out reams of drivel because they're incapable of doing anything better...malmsteen doesn't have the same excuse

Victor Von Doom
if you compare what his technical ability makes him capable of putting out with the reams and reams of absolute drivel that he does put out...i'd say it's quite valid to say he's potentially the worst

Well, that would be 'biggest waste of talent', not worst guitarist.

fair enough...alot of rock guitarists put out reams of drivel because they're incapable of doing anything better

QED.

tabby999
Your stroke is both clouding your judgment, and causing you to wink.

Could explain that copper taste i've been getting...

taste_u
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/9544/istabu4yk.jpg http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/4900/istabu8ew.jpg

jaden101
Well, that would be 'biggest waste of talent', not worst guitarist.

QED.

being good and playing shit is worse than being shit and playing shit...

Alpha Centauri
He's not actually playing shit, he's playing very well, technically.

The resulting music is shit.

-AC

jaden101
He's not actually playing shit, he's playing very well, technically.

The resulting music is shit.

-AC

which is what i meant...musically...it's dirge...and given his ability he has no excuse...at least people who are technically shit have some plausible explanation as to why their rock music is dire

Victor Von Doom
which is what i meant...musically...it's dirge...and given his ability he has no excuse...at least people who are technically shit have some plausible explanation as to why their rock music is dire

Yeah, that they're absolute crap. Seems a logical end to the argument to me. Malmsteen is capable of better.

I can see your 'waste of ability' point, but I don't think it factors into who is the worst. Why would it?

jaden101
Yeah, that they're absolute crap. Seems a logical end to the argument to me. Malmsteen is capable of better.

I can see your 'waste of ability' point, but I don't think it factors into who is the worst. Why would it?

because being a good guitarist isn't just about technical ability...and i have the feeling that this is maybe been discussed before

Victor Von Doom
because being a good guitarist isn't just about technical ability...and i have the feeling that this is maybe been discussed before

So you think his music is the worst there is?

I don't really get it, otherwise.

Shit music by a skilled guitarist> shit music by a shit guitarist.

jaden101
So you think his music is the worst there is?

I don't really get it, otherwise.

Shit music by a skilled guitarist> shit music by a shit guitarist.

it's certainly up there with the worst rock music there is.

~Flamboyant~
Yngwie is not the worst ever. In fact, he's one of the best ever. His music may not be apealing to one's ears but that does not necessarily make him the worst guitarist ever.

As for the worst guitarist that's been "heard" it wold easily go to one of these crapp-o mainstream bands made popular by MTV and VH1.

jaden101
technically he's good yes...but is that what we base great rock music on now?....i despair if it is...hendrix would be rolling in his grave at the thought

BobbyD

Indeed. But, this by no means makes him a bad guitarist. You might say he has poor judgement, you might say he is stupid, you might say he delusional. But, you can not say that he is a poor guitarist.

Simply, he is not. I don't know if there's another way of saying it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.