Who here is a catholic?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JacopeX
I always wonder if any one has the belief of the catholic religion and the catholic church. Those who believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven, earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.

By the way, yes there a differences between two religions. That have been flaws of this but it has never been proven. Therefore, this thread is proven to not be merged into the christian threads.

So is anyone here a catholic?

Lord Urizen
I used to be Catholic

Didn't work out for me, but it does work for other people.

debbiejo
I was baptized Catholic.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
I used to be Catholic

Didn't work out for me, but it does work for other people.
Originally posted by debbiejo
I was baptized Catholic.

We have exCatholics apparently how is that?

debbiejo
Well I was a baby, so I don't remember the event........baby

BobbyD
I'm a Catholic......albeit a non practicing one.

Symmetric Chaos
Wow this is like the most disillusioned bunch I've ever seen

debbiejo
That's what is so great about Catholics...... yes

JacopeX
No.

Marxman
I was baptized and confirmed a Catholic. I went to Catholic school for 7 years. At about the summer before senior I became agnostic. Very recently I became atheist. I think I would have followed the same path whether I was Catholic, Protestant, or whatever.

Just wondering...what's the point of this thread? Are you taking some census or something? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lord Urizen
Yeah....what IS the point to this thread exactly ?

Symmetric Chaos
Apparently to prove that every Catholic on KMC has lost his/her faith

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

laughing

So far, so good....

Symmetric Chaos
Odd though

Debbiejoe, Marxman, BobbyD and yourself are some of the heaviest posters here and you all used to be Catholic

Dawson
I haven't.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Dawson
I haven't.

eek! big grin

Hooray! Happy Dance

Lord Urizen
Odd though

Debbiejoe, Marxman, BobbyD and yourself are some of the heaviest posters here and you all used to be Catholic

Yup....aint that funny ?

Marxman
Meh, I don't think its because we're former Catholics as much as that we're a former "something". Because we used to have a certain set of beliefs, questioned those beliefs, saw fault in them, and then changed them, we are pretty firm in the beliefs that we are certain on, however few those may be, because we have given them much thought. And since we have given them much thought, we like to debate on these topics.

Urizen loves finding faults in the Bible (which is obvious in his last few threads stick out tongue ) because that's what turned him off to Catholicism. I would assume he's given this much thought, since it is a life changing decision to denounce one's "birth religion". I love to debate on Communism Vs Capitalism because this is something I've given much thought to over the past year and a half and have found Communism to be better on many different levels.

I great quote I found in the book "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz.

Strangelove
I suppose I'm technically a Catholic, I was baptized and confirmed as a Catholic, but I defected after my confirmation. I'm currently an agnostic

DigiMark007
I haven't.

Darn....we were on a roll there for a second.

I'm a former Catholic too, since I guess we're having a party in this thread or something.

confused

:bananadance:

...though I don't frequent this forum quite as much as most, I pop in occasionally to see the latest Scripture vs. common sense debates.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

debbiejo
Odd thing with me is I was baptized Catholic but was never told I was because my step mom was Pentecostal and my dad was trying to make a good impression.........He worshiped her until she became the devil..... devil

Strangelove
Damn....there is no practising Catholic so far blink

Marxman
I haven't. Nope. There's one.

debbiejo
I think AOR is one, but hasn't been on.

Symmetric Chaos
we need to make a "what religion were you" thread

Bardock42
I'm catholic.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bardock42
I'm catholic.

Thats two and (according to Debb) maybe 3 catholics

BobbyD

Okay, all good jokes aside, and it was good too....while I do not practice my faith as often as I should (shame on me), I do still have a very personal, intimate relationship with the Holy.

That being said, I can say there is for lack of a better word, a rift, amongst western Catholics (the US for example) and say those of European and elsewhere who are likely more devout....practice more often, attend mass regularly, interpret the Catholic Church's word as law, etc, etc..

Some catholics though (myself included) ocassionally see the Church as an obstacle towards worshipping God. Are we to believe that everything they're telling is coming from God? Or is it their interpretation of what they believe God wants us to do? Why must I do everything through the church when I believe in God anyway? Can I not talk to God whenever I want?....freely whenever I need to for divine inspiration?....or for when I need a good swift kick in the arce? Why must I wait until every Sunday to talk to God? What must it happen in a building called a church? Can't I do it at home?

See, this is the sticking point.

I do think the Catholic Church is doing what they think is right in the best interests of its believers, but it is also one of the most powerful and wealthiest institutions in the world. And that to me is another problem. How much of its decision making is financially based? erm

quickshot
I'm catholic/buddhist, i believe in God and Jesus but try to follow the eight fold path and everything.

JacopeX
4 Practicing Catholics so far including me. smile

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by BobbyD
Okay, all good jokes aside, and it was good too....while I do not practice my faith as often as I should (shame on me), I do still have a very personal, intimate relationship with the Holy.

That being said, I can say there is for lack of a better word, a rift, amongst western Catholics (the US for example) and say those of European and elsewhere who are likely more devout....practice more often, attend mass regularly, interpret the Catholic Church's word as law, etc, etc..

Some catholics though (myself included) ocassionally see the Church as an obstacle towards worshipping God. Are we to believe that everything they're telling is coming from God? Or is it their interpretation of what they believe God wants us to do? Why must I do everything through the church when I believe in God anyway? Can I not talk to God whenever I want?....freely whenever I need to for divine inspiration?....or for when I need a good swift kick in the arce? Why must I wait until every Sunday to talk to God? What must it happen in a building called a church? Can't I do it at home?

See, this is the sticking point.

I do think the Catholic Church is doing what they think is right in the best interests of its believers, but it is also one of the most powerful and wealthiest institutions in the world. And that to me is another problem. How much of its decision making is financially based? erm

Every Religious Organization beleives what they are doing is right and in the best interests of everyone, at least it seems that way.

Catholics see the point to going to Church, not simply as the way of communion with God, but they beleive that a community's prayers are far more powerful than an Individual person's prayers, and also it serves to strengthen the Catholic Community.

How strong would ANY religion be, without a community of followers ?

BobbyD
Every Religious Organization beleives what they are doing is right and in the best interests of everyone, at least it seems that way.

Catholics see the point to going to Church, not simply as the way of communion with God, but they beleive that a community's prayers are far more powerful than an Individual person's prayers, and also it serves to strengthen the Catholic Community.

How strong would ANY religion be, without a community of followers ?

That's a good point, and good question.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by BobbyD
That's a good point, and good question.

laughing out loud

Thanks....I did learn something in my 18 years in Catholic School lol

Dawson
Originally posted by debbiejo
I think AOR is one, but hasn't been on.

He is. And he has been on.

JacopeX

How strong would ANY religion be, without a community of followers ? If you are saying that a prayer is stronger than another humans prayer, then what do you think?

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by JacopeX
If you are saying that a prayer is stronger than another humans prayer, then what do you think?

I never said that. What exactly are you trying to ask me ?

debbiejo
Originally posted by Bardock42
I'm catholic. It shows... whistle

Templares
*raises hand* . . . . . ONCE

Symmetric Chaos
*hands the talking stick to Templares*

Lord Urizen
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Symmetric Chaos
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

You do not have the talking stick!

debbiejo
It's a Buddha stick.......lol

finti
and if they bend over its a place for it besides its belief

Yuna_And_Tidus
Me! I'm catholic and proud. w00t

finti
good for you ,.......are proud of the action of the catholic church of the past as well?

Yuna_And_Tidus
Originally posted by finti
good for you ,.......are proud of the action of the catholic church of the past as well?
As long as I have nothing to do with it, I don't really care. What those pervs did does not disgrace the religion in catholicism in my opinion.

Atlantis001

Not me.

finti
wel well catholic so you confess sins in the name of the lord during your so called confessions(how regrettable sinners your lot are and what numbers you toll up to be........... must be good to be part of a religion (hypocrisy )that " oh I ****ed up, well 12 ave marie and all its swell (hypocrisy) or.................a great way of ****ing up and get blessed for it by regreting it, so whats the limit, if any, of what sin to confess.............. dont know why you all aint change the name from catholic to liars

debbiejo
Hmm Catholics forget their roots for sure. Though most today are quite fun. If they want to be proud of their heritage, then they must certainly be proud of ALL of it. No dissecting.

DigiMark007

Kinda unfair, wouldn't you say?

That's like saying I enjoy sex, then you ask me if I support rape.

I'm not christian and all, but the institution and the individuals are two different matters.

Alliance
Except for the fact that individuals support the institution.

Nellinator
Not necessarily. You support the American government, does that make you responsible for the war in Iraq? Should I consider you one of the people responsible for murdering children? Or should each individual be seen differently? I vote for the last option.

Alliance
I have paid for the Iraq war. My friends have fought in it. I have elected officials that have supported it. Clearly I bear some responsibility.

Are we not part of something greater than ourselves? Do we not have responsibilities greater than ourselves? Surely as a Christian I thing you would feel that way. Enlightenment thinking helps me go much farther than that.

Do I feel real guilty about all this, depends on the day. I've taken steps to move the Iraq war in a direction I would like to see it go. I don't bear primary, even secondary responsibility, but I do bear some. That that responsibility is enough to demand change.

In relation to the Catholic sex scandals...incidents happen, but what we've seen is institutionalized. Moral people have a responsibility to demand change. I've not been impressed with the response.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Alliance
I have paid for the Iraq war. My friends have fought in it. I have elected officials that have supported it. Clearly I bear some responsibility.

Are we not part of something greater than ourselves? Do we not have responsibilities greater than ourselves? Surely as a Christian I thing you would feel that way. Enlightenment thinking helps me go much farther than that.

Do I feel real guilty about all this, depends on the day. I've taken steps to move the Iraq war in a direction I would like to see it go. I don't bear primary, even secondary responsibility, but I do bear some. That that responsibility is enough to demand change.

In relation to the Catholic sex scandals...incidents happen, but what we've seen is institutionalized. Moral people have a responsibility to demand change. I've not been impressed with the response. Indeed we are part of something greater than ourselves and our responsiblities definitely go beyond ourselves, however, I don't expect you to feel much guilt (which is my point) because by supporting the government you are also supporting a great many good things (although I feel that is less so in America than in Canada where my taxes would go to a more social programs).

We do have responsibility to demand change, but it still lies on the individual, not the institution as those that fight for change are to be evaluated accordingly while those that stand idly by be evaluated according and those that fight for worse things be evaluated accordingly as well.

Marxman
wel well catholic so you confess sins in the name of the lord during your so called confessions(how regrettable sinners your lot are and what numbers you toll up to be........... must be good to be part of a religion (hypocrisy )that " oh I ****ed up, well 12 ave marie and all its swell (hypocrisy) or.................a great way of ****ing up and get blessed for it by regreting it, so whats the limit, if any, of what sin to confess.............. dont know why you all aint change the name from catholic to liars Well if "12 ave marie" doesn't do it maybe we can just say "Jesus is my Lord and Saviour" then go on with business as usual. Who's hypocritical now?

Alliance
Originally posted by Nellinator
We do have responsibility to demand change, but it still lies on the individual, not the institution as those that fight for change are to be evaluated accordingly while those that stand idly by be evaluated according and those that fight for worse things be evaluated accordingly as well.

If I'm interpreting you correctly...

If an institution sponsors a corrupt individual, the institution is as guilty as the individual. And since we can hardly expect corrupt institutions to clean themselves up, outside forces need to do it. Who better than the Catholic congregation?

Maybe its just me comming from a church where every decision was a purely democratic vote by the congregation.

debbiejo
Well it seems most churches are political, it's nothing new. At least the Catholic church doesnt have politicians speak at their services and pass out papers on how to vote.

Naz
I always wonder if any one has the belief of the catholic religion and the catholic church. Those who believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven, earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.

By the way, yes there a differences between two religions. That have been flaws of this but it has never been proven. Therefore, this thread is proven to not be merged into the christian threads.

*raises hand*

Confirmed last month, too. w00t

And I'm damn proud of my St. Michael statue too, silly portestants with your "idolatry".

Alliance
I'm sure thats happened. The Bishop of my area gave a very political speech before November's elections.

Nellinator
It wholly depends on how the institution came to support the individual. Hitler was a brilliant politician and did a great many good things to bring Germany out of the depression, and though the German people voted him in, they did so under many false presumptions. When something goes wrong though the people that made the choice see that something is wrong it is up to them to try and change it. However, if the majority don't see it as wrong it is no longer the others fault as they are trying their best. The fault shifts to the individuals of the majority who don't advocate change to something better. Evaluating people as individuals instead of groups is how prejudice begins. The Catholic congregration does indeed to try and stop what is happening and there are many groups within the Catholic church that are trying to just that, unfortunately the hierarchal structure (something that should not exist) within the Catholic church takes away from the voice of parishoners.

The problem nowadays is that membership is required in most churches to have a vote (for churches that have voting) and that is a bad thing in many ways, but unavoidable as free votes have been exploited by those that are not even church goers to negatively influence church policies, or so my understanding of the matter is.

debbiejo
Hmmmmm oh memberships...Yeah you need one to vote, but once you sign that little paper they own your soul...That means that they can do disciplinary actions to anyone in the name of the church and in front of the church.... Oh and the tithes, yeah 10 percent OR what is called sacrificial giving since I don't believe 10 percent is in the NT...

Alliance
Hitler is a horrible example, because the man ended up controlling the institution.

Yes, I am well aware that many protestants have returned to Catholic-like dictatorial ideologues to govern the church instead of the sane and rational thought that Protestantism magically pretended it was founded on.

Voting is essential. Church, like government, should be by the people for the people.

Nellinator
Maybe a poor example, but I think you understand what I'm saying.

Voting is important, but I would say that a Christian church should be for the people by the Bible. Everything within those contexts should be voted on though such as where money is going to help the community and the world, etc.

debbiejo
Meaning politics?

Nellinator
More or less, yes.

debbiejo
It's not right. Then all churches will have an agenda, their own agenda. They will recruit for that agenda.

Alliance
Originally posted by Nellinator
Voting is important, but I would say that a Christian church should be for the people by the Bible. Everything within those contexts should be voted on though such as where money is going to help the community and the world, etc.

What about Biblical interpretation? Is my opinon as valid as my preachers?

(assuming we are equally knowledgeable on the subject)

Nellinator
Originally posted by Alliance
What about Biblical interpretation? Is my opinon as valid as my preachers?

(assuming we are equally knowledgeable on the subject) Yes, your can be equally valid, preachers are simply supposed to be at the pulpit because of skill at teaching, they have no extra authority over man.

draxx_tOfU
im a catholic...

raised by a devout catholic family since birth...

though, personally, i have a much more radical point of view concerning religion compared to my family...

ultimately, religion will not save you...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.