'Big Brother' Racism - Shilpa Shetty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Syren
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2551297_1,00.html

What do you think of the alleged (obvious, imo) racism? Should the contestants guilty of abuse against Shilpa be removed from the house and suitably 'punished'? Are the Big Brother producers deliberately ignoring/denying the treatment of Shilpa? Or has everything that's happened just been blown out of proportion?

Personally, from what I've seen on the show when I have watched it and what I've read has been said on the shows I've missed, I'm pretty disgusted. Not just by the behaviour of the housemates towards Shilpa, but the reaction, or lack of, the producers and so on. Are ratings really worth sending out a message that gross racism is ok and accepted by society? Especially when you consider that the ratings are low anyway... I dislike Celebrity Big Brother, I'm more of a fan of the 'normal' version, but this series has ended any interest I did have in the show.

Comments?

botankus
Who the hell is Shilpa Shetty? Is she famous only from Big Brother?

jaden101
Originally posted by botankus
Who the hell is Shilpa Shetty? Is she famous only from Big Brother?

bollywood actress...apparently...

although i live in the UK i have no idea what this about and nor do i care...

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by jaden101
bollywood actress...apparently...

although i live in the UK i have no idea what this about and nor do i care...
me too. except i live in the USA.

Alpha Centauri
All its participants should be shot and those who watch it should be endlessly ridiculed and subjected to massive public shaming, if they aren't already ashamed of themselves.

That's my two pence and if you have a problem with my lack of "contribution", my ready-made reply is: "You watch Big Brother.".

Originally posted by Syren
Are ratings really worth sending out a message that gross racism is ok and accepted by society?

Are ratings really worth having one or more series of the original show, much less Celebrity Big Brother, Teen Big Brother etc?

One time was bad enough but ok, once. Twice was more than overkill. They show Teen Big Brother and more or less coax (from what I heard by way of an acquaintance and newspapers) two of them into having sex, and our society wants to complain about sex crimes against youngsters.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
all reality TV is crap, i think. i believe its mostly scripted.

Alpha Centauri
Even if it's not intended to be "scripted", there is no way that you enter a house with other strangers, aware that millions upon millions will be watching and, even sadder, possibly garnering a hatred/love for you, and not act up to cameras.

It's psychologically impossible.

-AC

botankus
I believe there was a strike threat among reality TV script writers a few years ago. They were working an insane amount of hours and not getting the justified pay increases.

vintageSW77
well as my other half watches celeb BB i have caught some of it
maybe its bigger in the UK than elswhere
im not a big fan but its good to see minor celebs being put through mental torture but what is happening with Shilpa is bullying
its obvious the brain dead monstosity that is Jade Goody is jealous of Shilpas looks and her boyfreind is an embarrasment with the personality of a tin of paint
Jade Goody is a ****ing horror and is typical of the trash that you see every saturday night sparked out covered in vomit after too many WKDs

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Even if it's not intended to be "scripted", there is no way that you enter a house with other strangers, aware that millions upon millions will be watching and, even sadder, possibly garnering a hatred/love for you, and not act up to cameras.

It's psychologically impossible.

-AC
dood, you have NO idea how much i agree with you here. its like these people that go on jerry springer....."my mom is my lover and she cheated on me with my uncle and they have a love child who is in fact an alien and they both are communists!!!"

Alpha Centauri
Just admit you watch it.

Don't say "I don't watch it...but...*Details*". We all end up knowing at least some of their names here in Britain, purely because they're everywhere, but if you know the details that could only come from watching it, just say it. It's a Big Brother thread.

Nothing worse than that.

To RJ: Exactly. "WHAT?! I DIDN'T KNOW WE'D BE ON THIS SHOW TO DISCUSS OUR REAL, GENUINE PROBLEMS! I'M FURIOUS BUT I BETTER SIT DOWN AND DO THIS BECAUSE I'M SO FURIOUS!". You'd just not do it, you'd say "F*ck off you stupid b*tch, don't come back, I'm changing the locks.".

-AC

Rogue Jedi
righto, AC. even if their problems were genuine, who in their right mind would go on TV and expose themselves?

amity75
Jade Goody is the most vile human being ever to be shat into civilisation and the Shilpa racism row has overshadowed the fact that Jade repeatedly spoke about "Eskimos" which is the Innuit equivalent of the "N" word.

Alpha Centauri
Exactly, it's just stupid.

I've never actually sat and thought "Who goes to watch these shows live?", because I get depressed and have the urge to wage biological warfare.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
i realized that reality TV was scripted one day when watching that MTV show where strangers liver together.

vintageSW77
i reckon i see about half the shows broadcast in the week but i never miss Russel Brand after it
guy is funny as ****

Syren
All its participants should be shot and those who watch it should be endlessly ridiculed and subjected to massive public shaming, if they aren't already ashamed of themselves.

That's my two pence and if you have a problem with my lack of "contribution", my ready-made reply is: "You watch Big Brother.".

I do watch it, although not regularly, and I apologise smile

The ratings were high at one time, it was obviously a popular show. I do see your point about it being overkill and I seem to recall agreeing with you before about that; should the series be axed I'm sure I won't miss it. But for now the intention of this thread was to discuss the racism against a housemate, not whether someone appreciates the show or not.

Irrelevant of the fact that you think the show should be cancelled, should never have been shown in the first place etc., what do you think of the way Shilpa is being treated?

Originally posted by amity75
Jade Goody is the most vile human being ever to be shat into civilisation and the Shilpa racism row has overshadowed the fact that Jade repeatedly spoke about "Eskimos" which is the Innuit equivalent of the "N" word.

I saw that... my god, I laughed my ass off laughing out loud

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by amity75
the Innuit equivalent of the "N" word.

And here I was thinking that it was just a misconstrued evolution of the term Esquimaux, the peoples of around Siberia.

Not sure where you got the authority to equate it with the racial slur that is the N word.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
line them up, AC. read them their rights, ask them what they want on their tombstone, hope that they dont say pepperoni, then BLAM!!!! i'm with you.

Alpha Centauri
Irrelevant of the fact that you think the show should be cancelled, should never have been shown in the first place etc., what do you think of the way Shilpa is being treated?

Popular means nothing, for the record.

Secondly, I don't know how she's being treated, or what's happening. I saw a Big Brother thread and zeroed in for the kill to be honest. I'll read the post then reply accordingly. I will afford you that, at least.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
i will admit, i do enjoy "so you think you can dance."

Syren
Popular means nothing, for the record.

Secondly, I don't know how she's being treated, or what's happening. I saw a Big Brother thread and zeroed in for the kill to be honest. I'll read the post then reply accordingly. I will afford you that, at least.

-AC

I kinda wondered if you'd missed my question stick out tongue

Thanks.

Rogue Jedi
very little gets by AC, from what i have seen.

Alpha Centauri
Conclusion: Yes, racism is bad.

I'm not sure what else can be said. These kind of specific case topic threads annoy me.

"Woman abused with racist slurs.", yes? It's bad. What more discussion be needed?

Though upon reviewing the actual extracts from the confrontation, I'll say this; Hardly any of those comments were "racist". Just falsely stereotypical. They aren't grounds for racism accusations, just idiotic bullying.

Calling someone an "indian" because they look indian is just stupidly presumptuous, it's not by any means indication that someone is negatively biased towards the race. Neither is the ill-timed shack remark.

They're just tasteless and insulting, not necessarily racist.

-AC

Syren
shrug

This is the general discussion forum, topics like this are discussed daily. Why does it bother you that I've started this one? Other people may wish to talk about it... I thought there were things to be said. Obviously not.

Perhaps it's because it's UK-based and only a small amount of people from the UK watch Big Brother at all these days.

Oh, and I did ask some more specific questions in my first post, not only whether racism itself was 'good or bad'.

Alpha Centauri
I added more, but I mean in general. Topics informing us of unfortunate events like plane crashes and confrontations. What's there to discuss besides "Yes, that's bad."?

Either way, never mind.

-AC

botankus
topics like this are discussed daily.

I think that's the problem.

What's there to discuss besides "Yes, that's bad."?

Rogue Jedi
Conclusion: Yes, racism is bad.

I'm not sure what else can be said. These kind of specific case topic threads annoy me.

"Woman abused with racist slurs.", yes? It's bad. What more discussion be needed?

Though upon reviewing the actual extracts from the confrontation, I'll say this; Hardly any of those comments were "racist". Just falsely stereotypical. They aren't grounds for racism accusations, just idiotic bullying.

Calling someone an "indian" because they look indian is just stupidly presumptuous, it's not by any means indication that someone is negatively biased towards the race. Neither is the ill-timed shack remark.

They're just tasteless and insulting, not necessarily racist.

-AC
yes, ......racism is bad, mmmmk? big grin

Syren
I added more, but I mean in general. Topics informing us of unfortunate events like plane crashes and confrontations. What's there to discuss besides "Yes, that's bad."?

Either way, never mind.

-AC

I saw. But I do think that the comments made were more than idiotic bullying, what do you define as a 'racist comment'?

Alpha Centauri
I saw. But I do think that the comments made were more than idiotic bullying, what do you define as a 'racist comment'?

"You Ni**er!" would be racist, it's a racist term. Anything said, specifying a race, with deliberate and harmful intent/bias is racist.

Calling someone an "indian" because they look indian is just presumptuous. It's safe to assume I'm purely a white, English guy, but if someone from Portugal came to me and was speaking Portuguese, I wouldn't instantly think that. My first impression, and probably assumption, would be "He's Spanish".

You've got to understand, people like Jade Goody barely know crap from clay, racial specification isn't going to be something they excel in. So unless they are actually pinpointing her race as a negative, I fail to see how it's racism.

Saying "You don't know where those hands have been." isn't a racist comment just because the woman they happen to be saying it to is a minority. It's racist if they're saying it because she's a minority.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
"You Ni**er!"

-AC
i'd like to see someone call ving rhames that. laughing out loud

Alpha Centauri
Great, non-OTF style contribution there, RJ. Keep 'em coming, you're a credit to this part of the forum.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
Great, non-OTF style contribution there, RJ. Keep 'em coming, you're a credit to this part of the forum.

-AC
dunno why i found it funny, i just did. for some reason i was thinking about pulp fiction.

Alpha Centauri
Full of them today, I see.

(But seriously, I know you like being the last poster, but this isn't the OTF. Rack up a post count there, contribute seriously to debates here, thanks).

-AC

Syren
"You Ni**er!" would be racist, it's a racist term. Anything said, specifying a race, with deliberate and harmful intent/bias is racist.

Calling someone an "indian" because they look indian is just presumptuous. It's safe to assume I'm purely a white, English guy, but if someone from Portugal came to me and was speaking Portuguese, I wouldn't instantly think that. My first impression, and probably assumption, would be "He's Spanish".

You've got to understand, people like Jade Goody barely know crap from clay, racial specification isn't going to be something they excel in. So unless they are actually pinpointing her race as a negative, I fail to see how it's racism.

Saying "You don't know where those hands have been." isn't a racist comment just because the woman they happen to be saying it to is a minority. It's racist if they're saying it because she's a minority.

-AC

Ok, but I watched the one where the comments about where her hands might have been were made ( ninja ), and it was with regard to her cooking and having touched the food she served. They also made comments about her cooking, stating that it's no wonder Indian people were so thin and sickly looking if they all cooked that way. The way in which the comments were made was quite blatantly racist.

As for Jade Goody, I don't think what few brain cells she has are at all connected to what she says. She apparently 'speaks her mind'. Says it all really laughing out loud

Alpha Centauri
Like I said, I don't watch the show, but then again this Shilpa probably isn't all the ticket for going in there anyway.

It all seems like a bit of a ploy. Bollywood being such an up and coming force in movies (And I mean that, it's about to be exploited big time), there will obviously need to be a degree of social acceptance and understanding for them to appeal to all nationalities and ethnicities. I can't help but think that while the racism is horrid, it's only gaining her sympathy.

People are now thinking "We have to treat 'Indian' people better now!". Or maybe I think too much.

I just hate anyone that goes on that show.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
Full of them today, I see.

(But seriously, I know you like being the last poster, but this isn't the OTF. Rack up a post count there, contribute seriously to debates here, thanks).

-AC
so if i find something funny, i have to keep it to myself? no, i dont think i can abide by that.
so you accuse me of "wanting to get the last post." what gives? if i comment in a thread, then i see someone else commenting, naturally i am gonna see what they said. and if i want to post again, i will post again. and again and again and again.
get used to it.

Syren
Like I said, I don't watch the show, but then again this Shilpa probably isn't all the ticket for going in there anyway.

It all seems like a bit of a ploy. Bollywood being such an up and coming force in movies (And I mean that, it's about to be exploited big time), there will obviously need to be a degree of social acceptance and understanding for them to appeal to all nationalities and ethnicities. I can't help but think that while the racism is horrid, it's only gaining her sympathy.

People are now thinking "We have to treat 'Indian' people better now!". Or maybe I think too much.

I just hate anyone that goes on that show.

-AC

yes Agreed. Although I have to say, from what I've seen of her, I like her. Which probably isn't based on anything substantial because we only see what the producers want us to see, the editing done in such a way that the watchers are 'brainwashed' (for want of a better word).

I couldn't care less whether the show continues, I just hope that if the racism is happening the way it appears to be, something is done about it.

Alpha Centauri
I shan't mess with you, RJ. You've clearly had your Weetabix this morning.

Crap, meant to get that sarcasm detector fixed.

yes Agreed. Although I have to say, from what I've seen of her, I like her. Which probably isn't based on anything substantial because we only see what the producers want us to see, the editing done in such a way that the watchers are 'brainwashed' (for want of a better word).

Precisely. She's an up and coming actress in an area of film that will be gigantic in the coming years. She's hardly going to come onto the mainstream screens of a country that it will thrive in and act like a ***** is she?

I couldn't care less whether the show continues, I just hope that if the racism is happening the way it appears to be, something is done about it.

This could be said about racism, homophobia, crime, anything. It's on TV, though, therefore a terribly post-worthy tragedy...

-AC

Rogue Jedi
I shan't mess with you, you've clearly had your Weetabix this morning.

Crap, meant to get that sarcasm detector fixed.

-AC
*fixes AC's sarcasm detector*
here ya go, AC...no charge!!!!

come on, man, i dont want to fight with you. if i say something you think is non relevant, just deal with it. it happens all the time here from almost everyone.

Syren
Boys, play nicely. For a moment there I thought I'd saved this thread from being flattened by AC and then you go and start b!tching at one another ermm

Alpha Centauri
Syren, honestly, he does this all the time. He did it to Bardock when he failed to do it to me, check the OTF.

RJ, how about you stop doing what you just did? It'd be easier to deal with you if you didn't constantly reply to everything anyone says to you, because then...like now, you end up dragging the thread into irrelevancy. Just leave it. If it's personal and of no use to the topic, just say it in PMs, to anybody.

There's nothing here for you to reply to, no insults to defend against, nothing. Just leave it be.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
How about you stop doing what you just did? It'd be easier to deal with you if you didn't constantly reply to everything anyone says to you, because then...like now, you end up dragging the thread into irrelevancy. Just leave it.

There's nothing here for you to reply to, no insults to defend against, nothing. Just leave it be.

-AC
are you like a professional table turner? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Syren
Syren, honestly, he does this all the time. He did it to Bardock when he failed to do it to me, check the OTF.

-AC

Can't be bothered to check for previous.

I guess this topic is dead now, I'll just return to the relative safety (if not for my braincells, at least for my social status) of the OTF weep

Alpha Centauri
If there's more you'd like to discuss with me on this matter, or racism, I'm here to do so. Ignore him, as I shall.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
AC, did you get the pm i sent you?

Syren

Precisely. She's an up and coming actress in an area of film that will be gigantic in the coming years. She's hardly going to come onto the mainstream screens of a country that it will thrive in and act like a ***** is she?

That's what I'm saying, we're not going to know if she has acted like a complete biatch because of the editing. Perhaps the likes of Jade and the others have reason enough to have treated her this way... although I think it unlikely and am not condoning racism, of course.

Yep, but here we're talking about a particular topic. Don't put too much pressure on me stick out tongue

vintageSW77
it aint dead this story is going to run a while

Rogue Jedi
this is funny. funny how some people get upset over the smallest things.

Alpha Centauri
That's what I'm saying, we're not going to know if she has acted like a complete biatch because of the editing. Perhaps the likes of Jade and the others have reason enough to have treated her this way... although I think it unlikely and am not condoning racism, of course.

Yep, but here we're talking about a particular topic. Don't put too much pressure on me stick out tongue

It is what it is, I can't know too much because, as said, I hate the show.

-AC

vintageSW77

i know an obsessive who watches the live stream and she tells me Shilpa is not acting the *****
shes being bullied by a gang of bitches and is having her every action critisized constantly
its about time they sent some new housemates in i think
not another airhead but someone who could put them in their place

Syren
Originally posted by vintageSW77
i know an obsessive who watches the live stream and she tells me Shilpa is not acting the *****
shes being bullied by a gang of bitches and is having her every action critisized constantly
its about time they sent some new housemates in i think
not another airhead but someone who could put them in their place

A friend of a friend? stick out tongue

Well, in that case I do think something should be done. Axe the show forever maybe? ermm

vintageSW77
A friend of a friend? stick out tongue

Well, in that case I do think something should be done. Axe the show forever maybe? ermm

nah my sister
she doesnt have to work so its BB or The Sims

its always nasty the Celeb one
they want to send Pete Burns back in
hed sort Jade out

Symmetric Chaos

YES (along with much of reality TV)

PVS
I'll just return to the relative safety (if not for my braincells, at least for my social status) of the OTF weep

cry no

dont render this forum devoid of your sweet rack

Rogue Jedi
her shoe rack?

smoker4
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
YES (along with much of reality TV)

Yes please

Originally posted by PVS
cry no

dont render this forum devoid of your sweet rack

droolio

Rogue Jedi
holy hell....is ben kenobi stroking it?

PVS
i would caption that as

"LUUUKE!!! WAIT!!! SHE'S YOUR SIS- im too late....ooooh thats so wrong...":

Rogue Jedi
laughing out loud

smoker4
I think Edemols chairman is Satan incarnate, they bring us such greats as BBullsh*t,Deal or no Life and Ready Steady Suicide

Originally posted by PVS
i would caption that as

"LUUUKE!!! WAIT!!! SHE'S YOUR SIS- im too late....ooooh thats so wrong...":

Hmmm Chewie definitely seems to be dusting one off!

Rogue Jedi
obi needs to get some jedi vaseline. wait, i thought jedi werent allowed to do that?

PVS
never was it implied that a jedi cannot crank one off

Rogue Jedi
i am pretty sure it is against the code.

PVS
i am pretty sure that you have no evidence and thus are flat wrong.
also sure that a jedi cannot love. never said anything about sex and especially
not an occasional spanking of the monkey. also pretty sure we're off topic.

Syren
Originally posted by PVS

Yeah, but it's a worthy meandering stick out tongue

vintageSW77
Originally posted by PVS
never was it implied that a jedi cannot crank one off

though in Anakins case it wasnt wise with the robotic arm
i suppose Jedis can masterbate without actually having to touch the penis
if they can choke necks with the power of the force im sure they can choke the chicken that way too

maybe this should be for the SW thread
DO JEDIS MASTURBATE BY HAND OR USE THE POWER OF THE FORCE??

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by PVS
wheres your evidence that they can stroke it?

smoker4
though in Anakins case it wasnt wise with the robotic arm
i suppose Jedis can masterbate without actually having to touch the penis
if they can choke necks with the power of the force im sure they can choke the chicken that way too

DO JEDIS MASTERBATE

ROFL

PVS
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
wheres your evidence that they can stroke it?

i have none, nor did i declare that they definately can choke their chickens. only stated that no evidence was ever given to the contrary. funny how we go down this same route even in such a trivial debate as this.

PVS
DO JEDIS MASTURBATE BY HAND OR USE THE POWER OF THE FORCE??

i already made a thread a while back on whether or not a jedi can have casual sex. still have yet to be proven wrong. hehe
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=345450&highlight=title%3A%28love+forbidden%29

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by PVS
i have none, nor did i declare that they definately can choke their chickens. only stated that no evidence was ever given to the contrary. funny how we go down this same route even in such a trivial debate as this.
hmmm....rebuttal, RJ? laughing out loud

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/1989505.stm

PVS
oops posted wrong link

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=391732& amp;highlight=jedi+sex+casual+forumid%3A38+userid%
3A33570

there, feel free to challenge me in that thread so that i may squash you evil face
(and so we may no longer monopolise this discussion with talks of jedi whacking off)

vintageSW77
Originally posted by PVS

funny how we go down this same route even in such a trivial debate as this.

well its two of my favorite things
whacking off and Star Wars
though never at the same time

i did **** an ex once in my Darth Vader helmet but lets not go there

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by PVS
oops posted wrong link

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=391732& amp;highlight=jedi+sex+casual+forumid%3A38+userid%
3A33570

there, feel free to challenge me in that thread so that i may squash you evil face
(and so we may no longer monopolise this discussion with talks of jedi whacking off)
hey, i posted a rebuttal, give me some credit for lookig it up and admitting i was wrong. sad

Alfheim
They show Teen Big Brother and more or less coax (from what I heard by way of an acquaintance and newspapers) two of them into having sex, and our society wants to complain about sex crimes against youngsters.

-AC

Thats ****ed up

vintageSW77
i think theres a year or so left of this reality tv shit
its got to burst soon
the world is full of minor celebrities who dont understand the words **** OFF BACK TO OBSCURITY!

Rogue Jedi
only a year?

amity75
And here I was thinking that it was just a misconstrued evolution of the term Esquimaux, the peoples of around Siberia.

Not sure where you got the authority to equate it with the racial slur that is the N word.

-AC The term Eskimo can include the Alutiiq, Inupiat, Sug'piak, and Yup'ik Eskimo populations of Alaska, and the Yupik population of Eastern Russia. The speakers of the Yupik languages self-identify as Eskimo, but the majority of the Native population in the Canadian Arctic and Greenland prefer to be called "Inuit", or to a smaller extent Inuvialuit, and most find the term Eskimo highly offensive.

Alpha Centauri
I'm well aware of that, I have family from areas of Canada that are or were populated by many variations of tribes.

My question was; How is it the inuit equal to the N word? People may find it offensive because it's misinformation and such, not because it's a racial derogatory slur.

-AC

amity75
My question was; How is it the inuit equal to the N word? I read an interview years ago with an Inuit and that's what he said about the word.

BackFire
I'm more offended that Big Brother is still on the air, it hurts my soul, deep down.

amity75
It's funny because these Z list celebrities will come out the house thinking "Great! I've got my career back!" Wait till you see their faces when they learn that crowds of thousands were burning effigies of them on the streets of Mumbai.

§P0oONY
Everything the media is reporting on was taking pretty much out of context. I don't believe any of it is really racially motivated. More about jealousy and class differences in my opinion. I do believe some of the things being said are indeed out of order though but it's just another one of those things the media have blown way out of proportion. People are blaming Channel 4 for not having more censorship but that is just a crock of shit. Just because it wouldn't be broadcast doesn't mean it wasn't actually happening. It all comes down to everything being too politically correct. Racism is not a good thing but it's not going to go away unless people are actually fully aware that it goes on. Seeing moronic, lower class, untalented wankers being harsh to a beautiful, classy and successful bollywood star may just bring foreword some issues that have been swept under the carpet for too long.

I do genuinely hope that people in India don't continue to feel that the English are a bunch of racist c*nts becasue this is really just not the case. Racism isn't a large problem in the country and the Big Brother house is not a cross-section of society. It's simply the lower end of it which most people tend to ignore.

Whisper
I'm well aware of that, I have family from areas of Canada that are or were populated by many variations of tribes.

My question was; How is it the inuit equal to the N word? People may find it offensive because it's misinformation and such, not because it's a racial derogatory slur.

-AC As a Canadian I've always been led to believe that it's as offensive as that horrible word.

§P0oONY

-AC
It's not like the N-Word at all because the N-Word is not used to describe people from certain countries/tribes... Inuit is more like the term "Paki" as it's derogatorily used for everyone who has come from a certain area not just Pakistan. I'm sure the term Inuit is offensive to some but it's a totally different type of derogatory term than the N-word.

Whisper

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Whisper
Em, I thought we were talking about the word "Eskimo"?
Well, all Inuits are Eskimos but not all Eskimos are Inuits. That's what a class programme called QI taught me.

Plus I think you'll find Inuits were what was being talked about at that point in the discussion.

Whisper
I thought we were talking about the word "Eskimo" and it's statuus as a racial slur. Oh it doesn't matter, Racism sucks on every level.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Whisper
I thought we were talking about the word "Eskimo" and it's statuus as a racial slur. Oh it doesn't matter, Racism sucks on every level.
Eskimo is politically incorrect but so is calling everyone from the Arctic Circle who live their lives in similar ways to the Inuits.

ExodusCloak

-AC

Agreed.

I literally just saw the scenes on the Irish News....the "f*ck off home" comment was pretty racist IMO. Looks like Teddy Sheringham is going to have dump his girlfriend once this show is over otherwise this could really hurt his football career.(Granted it's at its end)...but what's really sad is that it takes a really bad Reality TV show to dent the walls of society when it comes to the racism topic...it's no lie that this xenophobic/racism attitude is quite prominent in both Irish and UK societies. It's a shame that our societies are over run by such ignoramuses and bigots.

As you said we all know that racism is bad....the question now is what can we do? For some reason this "I have no respect for myself and therefore no respect for other people" attitude is popular and seems to be on the increase in our societies. Not to mention Xenophobia seems to be on the increase. Sigh* we're all doomed. sad

vintageSW77

Bicnarok
What happened to free speech, if someone wants to be an ignorant racist let them. If its thier opinion. When they get out they will suffer enough imo.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by Bicnarok
What happened to free speech, if someone wants to be an ignorant racist let them. If its thier opinion. When they get out they will suffer enough imo.

That's a myth it doesn't exist. Besides...I would prefer people to have enough common sense to realize what they're saying. Racism is something that shouldn't be tolerated especially when the person is being victimized on live television. I mean you can hardly turn a blind eye to a person subjected to racism on live television? Would this be your solution for racism in general? Just allow itself to continue and work itself out?

Besides your suggestion violates a load of human rights laws.

vintageSW77
back on the subject Carphone Warehouse has pulled their sponsership of the show and withdrawn Jade Goodys perfume

one thing that puzzles me is these celebrity perfumes
if you buy them your buying into an image of the person

whod want to be like Jade Goody???

§P0oONY
im sorry but your wrong
racism is a MASSIVE problem in the UK
there is a LOT off ill feeling towards immigrants be they african or polish etc and the BNP is on the rise
muslims aint doing so well either with mosques being vasndalised and the row over the veil
there is a huge amount of rascist attacks on whites too and a lot of whites are sick to death of hoodied black and asian yobs making peoples lives a misery...its a fact
watch the news,crimewatch or pick up a newspaper and 9/10 times the truth is in front of you
there is a problem and the Uk is turning into something i dont like at all

as for BB i think Jade and her cronies are typical of the kind of bullies you get in school who pick on the well educated,pretty girls in school because they are envious
i watched it last night and what a nightmare she is
i hope her "career" is over when she gets booted out tommorow and she disapears from our screens and newstands for ever
this could be the end of the reality celebs
hope so Racism isn't a big problem in the UK as opposed to other countries I meant. I'm aware there is still racial tension in some communities.

Rogue Jedi
im sorry but your wrong
racism is a MASSIVE problem in the UK
there is a LOT off ill feeling towards immigrants be they african or polish etc and the BNP is on the rise
muslims aint doing so well either with mosques being vasndalised and the row over the veil
there is a huge amount of rascist attacks on whites too and a lot of whites are sick to death of hoodied black and asian yobs making peoples lives a misery...its a fact
watch the news,crimewatch or pick up a newspaper and 9/10 times the truth is in front of you
there is a problem and the Uk is turning into something i dont like at all

as for BB i think Jade and her cronies are typical of the kind of bullies you get in school who pick on the well educated,pretty girls in school because they are envious
i watched it last night and what a nightmare she is
i hope her "career" is over when she gets booted out tommorow and she disapears from our screens and newstands for ever
this could be the end of the reality celebs
hope so
true. i didnt know this until i read this post, then i did some research on it.

LethalFemme
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
true. i didnt know this until i read this post, then i did some research on it.

I just watched a lot of the episodes on youtube and she's so pretty.I know that has nothing to do with anything but, I felt like saying it.

The other people in the house seem kinda easily offended

FeceMan
"It'll be like Big Brother, except somebody'll be watching."

...Why do we care what people from Big Brother think (or feel, for that matter)?

silver_tears
I don't watch reality TV.
I've seen maybe 5 episodes of American Idol and 5 of Survivor, first seasons toward the end.

I've never even heard of Teen Big Brother or Celebrity Big Brother.
I don't think we get those here.

The racist remarks are disgusting, and they should not only be thrown out of the house but sued by the one being bullied.

Imaginary
... Thank god I live in Australia.

GCG
I really hate the show.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by FeceMan

...Why do we care what people from Big Brother think (or feel, for that matter)?
Big Brother gets millions of viewers... hmm

People care what people in Big Brother think and say when it results in people in India burning effigies.

Syren
Originally posted by FeceMan

Sarcasm?

I care what the people in the house think and feel because first and foremost they're people, not 'housemates'.

botankus
Sarcasm?

I care what the people in the house think and feel because first and foremost they're people, not 'housemates'.

What about the 4 billion other households in the world? I think they're feeling left out. Where's the love?

Alpha Centauri
Sarcasm?

Yeah, people that aren't contributing anything positive to society, yet they will end up millionaires, probably. Jade Goody's a millionaire for crying out loud.

They don't deserve concern. They are sheep, don't say "They're people" as if they don't deserve the shit they get. They signed up, they deserve everything they get for the worst. They don't deserve money and endorsements for doing nothing.

The funny thing is, my mum said to my grandfather this morning; "Oh it's terrible all those racist remarks, she's a lovely girl. They should leave the nice girl in the house and kick the others out.".

A) How do you know? Met her? No.

B) Why would you elect to keep a nice person in a place like that?

It genuinely takes a certain sadness of life to remotely enjoy that show. At least with American Idol etc I can understand people who watch the early stages to see the embarassing auditions, Big Brother is bs and everyone associated with it should be executed.

-AC

Syren
Yeah, people that aren't contributing anything positive to society, yet they will end up millionaires, probably. Jade Goody's a millionaire for crying out loud.

They don't deserve concern. They are sheep, don't say "They're people" as if they don't deserve the shit they get. They signed up, they deserve everything they get for the worst. They don't deserve money and endorsements for doing nothing.

The funny thing is, my mum said to my grandfather this morning; "Oh it's terrible all those racist remarks, she's a lovely girl. They should leave the nice girl in the house and kick the others out.".

A) How do you know? Met her? No.

B) Why would you elect to keep a nice person in a place like that?

It genuinely takes a certain sadness of life to remotely enjoy that show. At least with American Idol etc I can understand people who watch the early stages to see the embarassing auditions, Big Brother is bs and everyone associated with it should be executed.

-AC

big grin

I don't think I've once disagreed with anything you've said regarding this. Still feel a sort of sympathy for the way Shilpa's been treated, sorry.

They should close the program down for good and sue the producers... whoever 'they' are.

Alpha Centauri
big grin

I don't think I've once disagreed with anything you've said regarding this. Still feel a sort of sympathy for the way Shilpa's been treated, sorry.

They should close the program down for good and sue the producers... whoever 'they' are.

Why sue the producers?

They say "Do you want to be in the house?" and celebrities dying for exposure jump at the chance. It's not the producers' fault.

-AC

Syren
Creators, then? Whoever came up with the idea... I don't know TV jargon stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
No, I mean it's nobody's fault but the people who go in.

What dangers would the show present if nobody was on it? None. If you choose to go on it you get what you get.

-AC

Syren
I think it's to do with a little more than just the people who go in. BB is set up from the offset, with the people who are 'chosen' or approached to go in, to the tasks set, to the scenarios presented and so on. This does lie with the producers, or creators... or whatever. The people are complete muppets for going in in the first place, but the BB crew do pull the strings. And now, even after all the controversy, whoever has the power to pull the plug and do the right thing by all of us hasn't bothered. Woohoo, ratings are up! Sod the morals and ethics (albeit few to begin with), popularity has peaked. It's a little disturbing, to be honest... if this recent debate hasn't killed the show, what will? erm

I suppose you would have had to watch at least a couple of the shows to see how the people in the house are 'controlled'. It's not entirely their fault for just going in.

WrathfulDwarf
Controversy sells...that's why Big Brother is still on the air. The more attention you give them...the more they will be on the air.

Alpha Centauri
I think it's to do with a little more than just the people who go in. BB is set up from the offset, with the people who are 'chosen' or approached to go in

Stop there. "Approached to go in...", if they accept this far into the show's lifespan, they have themselves to blame and nobody else, and they can leave, I know for a fact it's happened before because I know people who watch it, even though I don't.

If it was the first show, they wouldn't know what to expect, but it'd still be their fault. Now? No excuse. You went in there, you get what you get. Not saying it's right or wrong, I'm saying you get what you get.

if this recent debate hasn't killed the show, what will? erm

People stopping the ratings by not watching, but they won't cos they're sad.

You've even been sucked into watching it and will continue to probably, just to see how the racism goes. Don't sit there complaining that they've got ratings up because of it when you continue to give them the ratings because of it.

I suppose you would have had to watch at least a couple of the shows to see how the people in the house are 'controlled'. It's not entirely their fault for just going in.

A) It is their fault entirely.

B) You're as controlled for watching it. Don't think you've gained some kind of independence for speaking against Big Brother, you still watch it.

-AC

Syren
Stop there. "Approached to go in...", if they accept this far into the show's lifespan, they have themselves to blame and nobody else, and they can leave, I know for a fact it's happened before because I know people who watch it, even though I don't.

If it was the first show, they wouldn't know what to expect, but it'd still be their fault. Now? No excuse. You went in there, you get what you get. Not saying it's right or wrong, I'm saying you get what you get.

Ok, I agree with that. They can leave. But perhaps Shilpa's staying to prove a point? This is all conjecture on my part as I don't have the first clue about the woman, apart from what we've been fed.

I'm no longer watching it, does that make a difference? In fact, even when I did catch the odd show it was never intentional, it was simply on when I flicked channels and it stayed on as there was probably nothing else that appealed to me at the time. I don't watch all that much TV, either working, online or out. As if I'm looking to gain 'some kind of independence' by discussing all this. Why am I even justifying having watched a few of the shows this time around?? laughing out loud

Regardless, I don't agree that it's entirely the housemates' fault. I've explained why smile

Alpha Centauri
But perhaps Shilpa's staying to prove a point?

Then we're supposed to defend her why? She's not heroic for tolerating racism, she's stupid for tolerating it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was all a part of the plan I described earlier.

Regardless, I don't agree that it's entirely the housemates' fault. I've explained why smile

And your argument makes no sense.

-AC

Syren
Then we're supposed to defend her why? She's not heroic for tolerating racism, she's stupid for tolerating it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was all a part of the plan I described earlier.

Now I think you're making too much of this. I never said defend her individually. I simply said if the treatment she's received isn't enough to warrant the program being stopped then what would be?

As for the plan, you mean the entire thing being set up from the start? Makes sense, she is an actress stick out tongue

Ok, so run it by me again, explain why my argument is nonsensical. I'm not getting it.

Stopit.Stopit.Stopit.Stopit - you're bloody evil ninja

Deano
bill hicks says:

ITS A PEICE OF SHIT..WALK AWAY

reggie_jax
edited

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.