Dan Didio vs. Joe Quesada

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
Who's doing their job right?

Grimm22
Neither no expression

But, Queseda had the balls to go on the Colbert Report

Thus he wins big grin

Darth Vicious
Im going with Joe Quesada. Why? 2 words, Ultimate Universe.

marvelprince
Joey Q. Took real cajones to go forward with CW

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by marvelprince
Joey Q. Took real cajones to go forward with CW

Not so much CW but making Spideys identity public, that took some real cojones!

Deathstroke
It took some real cojones to ruin Iron Man for me. Curse you Quesada. CURSE YOU!!

DigiMark007
Yeah, so we all agree CW and recent story arcs are more risky than, say, IC was.

Technically DC owns Wildstorm as well, so I'd give a thumb up to Didio for not messing with the WS universe much. Gaiman's Sandman stuff is also under DC's wing.

...but most of that wasn't on Didio's watch, and was quite a while ago (I think Sandman started mid-80's). Vote for Quesada...kudos for seperating the hell out of "cosmic" and "Earth" with Annihilation and CW, something DC doesn't do well.

And Alan Scott's eyepatch is awful. I'm a huge fan of Alan, but I cringe when I see it for the first time in any comic. That's probably my least favorite thing to come out of IC.

roughrider
Batman's son is a black eye for DD.
And we'll never see the return of the funny Giffen/Dematteis JLA team under his watch.

Marvel now has good relations with top writers from the British Isles - that's the work of Joe Q.
On the minus, his hiring of Jeph Loeb for The Ultimates looks like a backfire in waiting - just look at Onslaught Reborn.

Beta Ray Howard
I'm voting for Joe. At the very least, he's willing to take risks and go against the norm, though hiring Hudlin wasn't a smart idea. Same with Loeb.

WrathfulDwarf
I don't see why people put Quesada over Didio when both are practically pathetic.

Give me Tom DeFalco and Dennis O'Neil any day of the week.

Doctor S.T.D.
Originally posted by Beta Ray Howard
I'm voting for Joe. At the very least, he's willing to take risks and go against the norm, though hiring Hudlin wasn't a smart idea. Same with Loeb.

I think creating 52 was just as risky as Civil War, and with the exception of this forum its been far more critically acclaimed. Civil Wars 4-6 have had some very negative reviews. Id say Joe Q is far more on the ball than Dan Dido, and if i wasn't for Geoff Johns, Mark Waid and Grant Morrison D.C. would be down the toilet.

pr1983
I think both are seriously at fault... there are, at the very least, ten people on this forum i would trust more to make decisions about characters than those two... both companies could do with a change...

Beta Ray Howard
Originally posted by Doctor S.T.D.
I think creating 52 was just as risky as Civil War, and with the exception of this forum its been far more critically acclaimed. Civil Wars 4-6 have had some very negative reviews. Id say Joe Q is far more on the ball than Dan Dido, and if i wasn't for Geoff Johns, Mark Waid and Grant Morrison D.C. would be down the toilet.

I think more or less the reason the last few comics of Civil War haven't been acclaimed well is they're seeing the problem with Millar's writing style. There's always three or four issues in an arc that is really, really slow. However, he usually delivers well with a finale.

inamilist
Originally posted by pr1983
I think both are seriously at fault... there are, at the very least, ten people on this forum i would trust more to make decisions about characters than those two... both companies could do with a change...

I couldn't agree with you more!

H. S. 6
Quesada's got a pair, I'll give him that.

Lucid Lui
The industry generally seems to be in a better place then it has been in a good while, so i'd say they're both doing their job right.

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Doctor S.T.D.

Youi don't like Gail Simone confused

The all new atom is one of the best books out right now by eitther Marvel or DC smile

WrathfulDwarf
Believe it or not...lately Dan is getting some respect from me. I think he is finally showing some signs of good decisions.

52 is looking very good.

marvelprince
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Believe it or not...lately Dan is getting some respect from me. I think he is finally showing some signs of good decisions.

52 is looking very good.

Honestly I attribute 52's greatness to Geoff Johns. Since he achieved his sort of "mini" editor status due to IC I think things have been really tight in DC.

On the other hand a lot of editoral decisions I've not agreed with. Bringing back the multiverse? So soon? I still fail to see the point. Maybe if they'd gone ahead and killed Nightwing too.

Validus
Fuggin hell, this thread is retarded. Neither of these guys deserve any sort of pat on the back.

Honestly I attribute 52's greatness to Geoff Johns. Since he achieved his sort of "mini" editor status due to IC I think things have been really tight in DC.
52 is totally the brainchild of Grant Morrison. His writing style is all over that book.

marvelprince
Originally posted by Validus
Fuggin hell, this thread is retarded. Neither of these guys deserve any sort of pat on the back.

52 is totally the brainchild of Grant Morrison. His writing style is all over that book.

Your right. Infinite Crisis = Geoff, 52 = Grant.

Credit to Didio for giving them creative freedom

pr1983
Your right. Infinite Crisis = Geoff, 52 = Grant.

Credit to Didio for giving them creative freedom

i don't think any one person had creative freedom with IC, i really don't...

Redatom65
Dididio is sadly better then Quesada. Quesada's a bigger idiot than Dididio

Redatom65
what if oprah ran marvel...

Grimm22

Not really, its not filled with confusing artsy and symbolic storytelling like Morrison usually does

Man I hate Morrison sometimes no expression

roughrider
Originally posted by Redatom65
what if oprah ran marvel...

She'd make writing deals with authors who've written lies about their past. stick out tongue

Validus
Originally posted by Grimm22
Not really, its not filled with confusing artsy and symbolic storytelling like Morrison usually does

Man I hate Morrison sometimes no expression
Morrison only does that with his Indy stuff.
Geoff Johns saved Nightwing from Didio's idiocy, buddy.

pr1983
Morrison only does that with his Indy stuff.

Geoff Johns saved Nightwing from Didio's idiocy, buddy.

him and public opinion wasnt it? stick out tongue

i meant though in the sense that didio didnt just say to johns 'we need a new crisis, do seven issues and come back to me when you're ready'

Validus
him and public opinion wasnt it? stick out tongue

i meant though in the sense that didio didnt just say to johns 'we need a new crisis, do seven issues and come back to me when you're ready'
Yeah but nobody is going to get that kind of freedom.

pr1983
Yeah but nobody is going to get that kind of freedom.

obviously... stick out tongue

unfortunately... imagine giving someone like johns or busiek or morrison to do a crisis the way they want to...

the results would be interesting to say the least...

marvelprince

I didn't mean that he basically went to Johns and said hey we need a big event, make it happen. I meant that he made sure John's was very involved and had a lot to say about the matter. I think it says alot that he gave the guy editor status in order to co-ordinate the whole thing.

invisiblewoman
joe quesada, i like them both i just like quesada better

pr1983
I didn't mean that he basically went to Johns and said hey we need a big event, make it happen. I meant that he made sure John's was very involved and had a lot to say about the matter. I think it says alot that he gave the guy editor status in order to co-ordinate the whole thing.

i think though if didio and a few others had taken more of a backseat, we would have had a better event...

WrathfulDwarf

On the other hand a lot of editoral decisions I've not agreed with. Bringing back the multiverse? So soon? I still fail to see the point. Maybe if they'd gone ahead and killed Nightwing too.

Well, I'm really looking forward to see what really happens after the multiverse.

One reason I started to like Dan is because he's been doing this lately in Comic Book conventions.

cn8ZBymFdtw

I was a Wizard World Los Angeles last Saturday. I was way back in line waiting for the DC pannel....lord and behold there he was....No one recognize him (that goatee and hat threw us off). But I like what he is doing...listening to the fans and talking with them. Sneaky, but I like it. smile

Deathstroke
I like Didio. At wizard world chicago last year he was walking around and gave me and my friend "52" posters that were autographed by Geoff Johns just because we were wearing DC Nation pins.

WrathfulDwarf
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/5926/didioci3.jpg

This was funny. laughing out loud

roughrider
Right now, we have the Skrull paranoia at Marvel, versus the Amazons Attack event at DC. Because AA is such crap (even Draco69 thinks so), Quesada has the edge, at this time.
We'll see how much Marvel tries to retcon with the Skrulls. Check in later...

Juntai
Didio.

Validus
Originally posted by roughrider
Right now, we have the Skrull paranoia at Marvel, versus the Amazons Attack event at DC. Because AA is such crap (even Draco69 thinks so), Quesada has the edge, at this time.
We'll see how much Marvel tries to retcon with the Skrulls. Check in later...
What a lame comparison.

Neither the Skrull thing or Amazons Attack are the events worth following in their respective company. For Marvel its WWH and DC its Sinestro Corp.

roughrider
What a lame comparison.

Neither the Skrull thing or Amazons Attack are the events worth following in their respective company. For Marvel its WWH and DC its Sinestro Corp.

Yeah, well I'm just using them for comparison, as sub-par events go.

Grimm22
Hard to say who is really better erm

I think DC gives their creators more control over their stories and what they do with their work, however I also hate this continuous rush into the next Crisis.

Also, I hate how Didio took so long to get a new writer on the Flash after the awful relaunch, but it also shows that DC does listen to their fans.

Where as at marvel, they are constantly trying to cover their asses when they make a mistake. Seriously, how much is it going to take to get Joe Q to make Ult. X-men not be awful?

But a good thing about Marvel is that they are always trying new things with their big events. The only time Marvel ever tried the same type of event twice was with Secret Wars II which was awful so they they learned their lesson with it.

Honestly though, if Image had better books other than whatever Robert Kirkman is writing I would probobly just ditch the big 2 altogether

roughrider
Here's a competition to settle it.

Sit Dan Didio & Joe Quesada at one side of a table, in a nice boardroom.

On the other side, sits Alan Moore. eek! Yes, the scary genius himself.

The first one to convince Moore to work again for their company wins.
Moore has a serious axe to grind against both Marvel & DC, real & imagined. They would have to do the sell job of their lives to change his mind, I believe.
This could be pay-per-view or a reality show special; I'd watch it, to see how much they'd grovel to get him. evil face

Validus
Yeah, well I'm just using them for comparison, as sub-par events go.
Ok. confused

SpunkySmurph
What a lame comparison.

Neither the Skrull thing or Amazons Attack are the events worth following in their respective company. For Marvel its WWH and DC its Sinestro Corp. Meh.

Even then, using how much we like WWH and Sinestro Corps to decide who's better is pretty dumb... then this thread is just DC vs. Marvel anyways, unless we get into how Didio and Quesada specifically altered it, and what ideas they shot down.

Grimm22
As good of a writer as Moore is, I would never want to spend a minute with the man. He's pretty much batsh*t insane

Validus
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
Meh.

Even then, using how much we like WWH and Sinestro Corps to decide who's better is pretty dumb... then this thread is just DC vs. Marvel anyways, unless we get into how Didio and Quesada specifically altered it, and what ideas they shot down.
It was DC vs Marvel from the first post.

roughrider
I didn't want this specifically to be DC vs. Marvel. Their are lots of threads like that. It's about their two public figureheads, and their decision making.

WrathfulDwarf
A very long interview with Didio for his plans in 08:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=140406

Dan...you better deliver! Final Crisis better be good!

Indeed cool artwork. yes

endrict
Dan Didio ftw, I can't stand Joe.

willRules
Both have made some reasonably controversial decisions, but I think Quesada has bigger testicles especially with events like Civil War (regardless of whether you like it or not) it definitely altered the state of the MU. All I see Didio do is kill off character after character.

However in a straight up physical fight, Didio would win, he's got no hair on his head = tough man.

Citizen V
Hmpfh, Quesada takes it by a mile for me, he takes chances with new books that I would never see Didio giving the okay to.

I also don't trust men with moustaches.

Kutulu
Originally posted by willRules
However in a straight up physical fight, Didio would win, he's got no hair on his head = tough man.

laughing out loud

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Citizen V
Hmpfh, Quesada takes it by a mile for me, he takes chances with new books that I would never see Didio giving the okay to.

I also don't trust men with moustaches.

Didio have taken quite a lot of chances with killing characters. The man have balls...brains and other stuff is up to debate. wink

Entity
I may dislike DC in general but Quesada's responsible for the crucifixions that are sins past and one more day!

Nuff Said!

willRules
At least Marvel has the guts to do these things and make changes (for better or worse) DC don't make any large company changes unless it has the word "Crisis" in the title.

Val
At least Marvel has the guts to do these things and make changes (for better or worse) DC don't make any large company changes unless it has the word "Crisis" in the title.
They just completely changed the Green Lantern mythos with Rebirth and SC.

The reaction was positive though....

WrathfulDwarf
As a result of that change we got the Sinestro Corps.

It did paid off in the end.

(well, that does it for me. Gotta watch the Pats vs. Giants game)

Later.

willRules
Originally posted by Val
They just completely changed the Green Lantern mythos with Rebirth and SC.

The reaction was positive though....

That's true and I think generally DC do have better artists on their titles at the moment. The guy who drew Batman's Island of Dr Mayhew storyline was funky and original, plus Ivan Reis art on Sinestro Corps was beautiful yes

Val
That's true and I think generally DC do have better artists on their titles at the moment. The guy who drew Batman's Island of Dr Mayhew storyline was funky and original, plus Ivan Reis art on Sinestro Corps was beautiful yes
OH YEAH? Well, that....isn't the kind of reply I expected....

Good day to you sir. schmoll

willRules
Originally posted by Val
OH YEAH? Well, that....isn't the kind of reply I expected....

Good day to you sir. schmoll

YEAH! WELL WE ARE IN AGREEMENT THEN! mad

Biatch mad

Grimm22

(well, that does it for me. Gotta watch the Pats vs. Giants game)

Don't remind me disgust

Oh and for the topic, its hard to say.

If you're a spiderman fan, Queseda is worse.

If you're a fan of happiness, Didio is worse. (The man loves Crisis's)

Val
Not happiness. If you're a fan of life itself, Didio is worse.

I still stick by my first post in this thread and say neither is good.

WrathfulDwarf
Don't remind me disgust

Oh and for the topic, its hard to say.

If you're a spiderman fan, Queseda is worse.

Patriots! W00t dancing

I used to hate Didio..but lately he is winning me over.

roughrider
Based on the hate I've read lately for Countdown (with it's general suckiness), the leftover stench from Amazons Attack! and the strong sales lead Marvel has, I'd say Quesada is doing a better job at this time.

starlock
My DC pull list is twice as large as my marvel pull list....so i go with DD

Soljer
Based on the hate I've read lately for Countdown (with it's general suckiness), the leftover stench from Amazons Attack! and the strong sales lead Marvel has, I'd say Quesada is doing a better job at this time.

Final Crisis.

Legion of 3 Worlds.

Blackest Night.

Secret Invasion.

Nuff said.

willRules
Originally posted by Soljer
Final Crisis.

Legion of 3 Worlds.

Blackest Night.

Secret Invasion.

Nuff said.

Number of good Marvel titles on the stands>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Number of good DC titles on the stands.

Soljer
Number of good Marvel titles on the stands>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Number of good DC titles on the stands.

I'd really like to see you back up the use of sixteen 'greater than's.

roughrider
I'm getting weary of the constant instability inside the DC Universe; ever since Identity Crisis it's been in flux.
Final Crisis my ass.
What's the next Crisis event going to be called - Last Crisis Standing? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Rorschach

willRules
Originally posted by Soljer
I'd really like to see you back up the use of sixteen 'greater than's.

Crap, and it's too late to edit my post......

..........to seventeen stick out tongue

Bad Ash231
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/Nightmareman95/HAL10WEEN/jqelrey.jpg

Raoul
Originally posted by Bad Ash231
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/Nightmareman95/HAL10WEEN/jqelrey.jpg

doh

WrathfulDwarf

roughrider
They should split the difference.

DC's next BIG event - Secret Infinity War Crusade

Marvel's next BIG event - Crisis Of Earth Identities

big grin

willRules
Originally posted by Raoul
doh

You think that's bad, look at "her" when "she" removes her mask.......

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7894/dannjoehs1.jpg

Bad Ash231
You think that's bad, look at "her" when "she" removes her mask.......

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7894/dannjoehs1.jpg

Am I the only one has noticed the scary face behind Quesada? shock

Citizen V
Originally posted by Bad Ash231
Am I the only one has noticed the scary face behind Quesada? shock

I wouldn't call Mephisto's face scary, more.. unique.

How do you think he managed to score with the blonde? I can't remember what Joe gave him in return, some marriage or something.

WrathfulDwarf
Now that SDCC 08 is coming to an end. I gotta say Dan is really expanding DC into a much more larger fanbase. Bringing back Archie characters and Milestone is a good stretch.

Meanwhile...Joe Q is making the most moolah. mmm

Scoobless
They should split the difference.

DC's next BIG event - Secret Infinity War Crusade

Marvel's next BIG event - Crisis Of Earth Identities

big grin

Simpsons/Futurama already had the "Infinitely Secret Crossover Crisis"

stick out tongue

roughrider
Now that SDCC 08 is coming to an end. I gotta say Dan is really expanding DC into a much more larger fanbase. Bringing back Archie characters and Milestone is a good stretch.

Meanwhile...Joe Q is making the most moolah. mmm

Whoa - DC has control of the Archie titles?! eek!

WrathfulDwarf
Whoa - DC has control of the Archie titles?! eek!

yes

Interview:

http://www.newsarama.com/common/media/video_sdcc.php?videoRef=NA_080724_DiDio3

Val-E-Doosh
Static Shock being brought into the DCU and joining the Titans is long overdue.

Juntai
Originally posted by Val-E-Doosh
Static Shock being brought into the DCU and joining the Titans is long overdue. thumb up

Now they just need a new writer to join the Teen Titans.
I'm seriously on the verge of dropping this book, the quality has dropped more issue to issue since Johns left.

Val-E-Doosh
I bailed when Johns left. I knew it wouldn't be near the same.

starlock
Both Fail

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by starlock
Both Fail

QFT

roughrider
Thanks to Accel for the story about Marvel's 50% market share.

http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.5700.MyCup_o~apos~_Joe_Week_29

To me, the events around Marvel are much more interesting right now. While DC has 'Crisis' fatigue.

willRules
Originally posted by starlock
Both Fail

If they weren't running the companies well......

KynIKjRwqDI

......then it'd be someone else big grin

roughrider
Bump.

kgkg
As long as DC don't fu@k up Vertigo I am happy.

roughrider
With the year - and the decade - drawing to a close, time to evaluate these two again?

WickedDynamite
DD gets a mixed review from me.

I'm glad he is a fan and enthusiast of the DCU characters.

I'm not glad he ***s up things with things such as FC and Batman: One More Day....errr...sorry I meant Batman R.I.P.

However, I'm glad he allows Geoff, Jimmy, Gail, and Paul Dini to run with things. On the ugly side of things he allows Morrison as well.

He gets a C- from this Bat-Head.

As for Joe Q....well, he sold Marvel to Mickey....the man is a business guy.

roughrider
I think Didio is more a business guy - he came from outside comics to run DC. Was it television?
While Quesada is a real artist & editor, and seems as secure as anyone in his position since Jim Shooter's heyday.

WickedDynamite
I don't remember but true on Didio having some business skills. He also listens to fans and intereacts with them in conventions and on newsarama. I think for that...he gets raise to a grade C.

roughrider
Wonder if the thread title should be changed, now that Bob Harras got named DC's new Editor In Chief this fall.

Once upon a time, I thought he would be a Marvel lifer, like Ralph Macchio. But thanks to Marvel's bankruptcy period in the late 1990's, he got the bum's rush out of the Editor In Chief's seat there a decade ago.

Didio is still Executive Editor I think. But I don't know if he still has a senior position over Harras; at Marvel, Executive Editor is below Editor In Chief.

Bouboumaster
Whoever he's fighting, Joe Q loose. What a big NOOB. Killed awesome title (Gardians of the Galaxy, Nova, ...), approve shitty story lines (Chaos War anyone!? And I'm a fan of Pak's runs on Hulk and Hercules...) and most importantly, scrap 40 years of Spider-Man history.

Who let this village idiot take power in the first place!?

roughrider
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Whoever he's fighting, Joe Q loose. What a big NOOB. Killed awesome title (Gardians of the Galaxy, Nova, ...), approve shitty story lines (Chaos War anyone!? And I'm a fan of Pak's runs on Hulk and Hercules...) and most importantly, scrap 40 years of Spider-Man history.

The past decade at Marvel was much better than the 1990's.
As far as Spider Man, it's easier to undo the events of One More Day than the mess they created with The Clone Saga 15 years ago.

Bouboumaster
The past decade at Marvel was much better than the 1990's.
As far as Spider Man, it's easier to undo the events of One More Day than the mess they created with The Clone Saga 15 years ago.

Past decade was great, but I couldn't care less about what you're saying about OMD; This shit shouldn't have exist in the first place. What a lack of judgement. This is unforgivable. I mean, do you realise that he scraped 40 years of comics?! What the hell!?

All of this for selling the movies?! Seriously, this guy should stick at drawing, and should be removed right the **** now of his fonctions.

Bentley
During Quesada's reign many cool ideas came to be -Incredible Hercules, Agents of Atlas, Captain America, Iron-fist and cosmics, just to name a few-, but experimentation happened outside the mainsteam books, which pretty much stayed lame saving a few highlights -such as Hulk with Pak, seriously, this guy resurrected the character, he'll be fondly remember like Simonson for Thor or Miller for Daredevil-.

What I really don't like it's the ways cancellations are handled, one would think that critically aclaimed books with excellent plots and rising writers should stick a bit longer than they do. But instead of that, things are kind of retconned to feat the big events which have been incredibly lacking since Civil War -which caused mixed impressions-.

Bottomline I don't really think Q is bad, but things could be really improved and I partly blame the minor editors and the marketing group.

WhiteWitchKing
Originally posted by Bouboumaster

Didn't he approve Annihilation, Conquest, War of Kings, and Thanos Imperative? Nova, Incredible Hercules, GOTG, Agents of Atlas, Dark Reign, Secret Warriors, Secret Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Planet Hulk, Avengers Disassemble, Thor Disassemble, Stormbreaker, Ares, Dark Avenger,s etc?

I do agree that some of the cancellation should have been done better.

Bentley
Quesada also liked to break long runs such as "revamping" Spider-man and the Avengers by shooting down many of their themes and plot developments. This is not necesarily bad since it shakes the status quo, but it's controversial to say the less.

-Pr-
He let Fraction and Yost on X-Men. That alone makes me annoyed at the guy, though Didio isn't much better with his pandering to Geoff Johns (the guy's a great writer, but he has WAY too much influence atm).

Mr. Rhythmic
Joe Quesada destroyed Marvel for me. Even Galactus had to step back and go "Damn."

King Castle
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Joe Quesada destroyed Marvel for me. Even Galactus had to step back and go "Damn." same for me, i actually stop collecting current stuff b/c of him.

but, like he said in an interview just talking about him and stuff is publicity good or bad it helps him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.