30th Anniversary - When is the re-release?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
All six films are supposed to return to the big screen, starting this year.
Anyone heard the strategy? All six, or just one every year for the next six years? Regular theatres or IMAX?

queeq
Probably May... the Month of Star Wars.

Alliance
Don't we get it in 3D? Why haven't we heard ANYTHING on this.

coolmovies
Its not gonna be all six its just gonna be the 1977 star wars . Who needs the PT anyway lolz

queeq
I think all six... or at least the OT. But I'm sure it's a lot less work to make the PT in 3D.

coolmovies
Its only star wars i checked with Orignaltrilogy.com

queeq
Whatcha mean? ANH?

coolmovies
Yes A new hope

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Alliance
Don't we get it in 3D? Why haven't we heard ANYTHING on this.

Unfortunately we have.

I posted this in here and in the PT forums.

Originaly, it was to be one 3D release each year, starting with the 30th aniversary of ANH this may.

However...

Steve Sansweet tackled this question from one fan at the recent Fan Club Breakfast last week in San Diego. Here's his response as posted at Starwars.com.

"George and Rick are really excited about the technology they have seen in 3-D... they showed about 10 minutes of Star Wars at a trade industry show about a year ago, and there was a lot of great buzz. Well, a couple of things have turned out. You have to look at the business plan: When does it make sense to do something like that? And you need thousands of digital screen theaters. It does not work on a film projector... This may be the thing that is finally going to force a lot of theater chains to bring in digital projectors at least for one of their screens... A lot of theater chains have announced they are going ahead. That said, how long is it going to take to get three- to four- to five thousand theaters digitally converted? It's not going to happen this year. It's not going to happen by the end of next year. In addition, the process to do the movie turns out to be a little more expensive than initially thought. So you have the theaters converting, you have the costs of converting one or all of the six Star Wars movies into 3-D, and you have the fact that the technology involves wireless battery-operated glasses that blink maybe a thousand times a second; it's not like a red and blue lens. So you have to take all those factors into consideration. I think Lucasfilm is still very interested in releasing the saga in 3-D. I think it's really just a matter of time, but I don't think it's going to be in the next couple of years."

^^^That was near the end of 2006, I think Sept.

As for just a regular re-release for the 30th, that's possible and more likely, but I've not heard anything about it yet.

queeq
It's a long way to Tipperary...

vintageSW77
i dont think were getting anything on the big screen this year
i doubt were getting a major release of ANH
its going to be a hard sell seeing as the OT dvds have been released in 3 box sets and individually in the past 3 years and add the fact that an SW pic has been on sky nearly twice a day since October

i love the OT but i remember getting a bit( i dont know if bored is the right word) restless during the S.E
how many times can a long term SW fan with his marbles mostly in tact watch these things

we got a couple of games and a 30th anniversary MAKING OF SW book coming with dozens of unseen photos
knowing my luck its probably filled with the pics ive posted

OB1-adobe
Is the TV show still even happening?

That thing has been in Preproduction for almost 2 years, and it still feels like they havn't even started working on it yet.

Alliance
Originally posted by sithsaber408
but I don't think it's going to be in the next couple of years.

cry

Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Is the TV show still even happening?

That thing has been in Preproduction for almost 2 years, and it still feels like they havn't even started working on it yet.

I believe they said 2009 for the release of that.

queeq
Hmmm... 2009... a long time still.... Long enough to make a movie.

vintageSW77
maybe they will start on the tv show and think hey this is too good for TV
lets make it into 3 movies

i wish there could be some closure on the SW galaxy

queeq
Me too... I thought there was with ROTS.... Bloody tv-series.

Alliance
laughing out loud

I don't know If I can take anymore films.

queeq
Oh, Im sure I cant take anymore. The PT was frustrating as it was....

Alliance
Nah, it wasn't.

Lucas's strong points aren'e dialogue and acting. There has alwaya been too much of that, but all the great epic sequences were cut out of the PT, so Lucas was rarely even reliant on his stong points.

Anakin and Kenobi were almost never where the main battleaction was.

This is the greatest flaw of the PT.

p.s. It's not a call for endless SFX or fight sequences with no plot (ROTS).

vintageSW77
Originally posted by queeq
Oh, Im sure I cant take anymore. The PT was frustrating as it was....

i thought id say goodbye to SW after SITH but here i am posting SW pics everyday and trying to complete my vintage figure collection

will it ever end?

queeq
Nope... the Unusual OT Pics make you know why you love SW.

And Alliance, the PT is much more flawed than just dialogue. One very simple and fairly crucial thing is: why is Anakin such a whiny, arrogant little sh!t? How can we feel sympathy with this guy who is supposed to bring balance? Where is the good friend ANH Ben Kenobi mentions? Why the heck does Padme fall in love with this schmuck??? The whole character of Anakin does not work... that in my opinion is a major flaw and that causes a lot of the films (including the OT) to lose its flavour. If you can't understand the hero's actions, the hero is not interesting.

roughrider
Nope... the Unusual OT Pics make you know why you love SW.

And Alliance, the PT is much more flawed than just dialogue. One very simple and fairly crucial thing is: why is Anakin such a whiny, arrogant little sh!t? How can we feel sympathy with this guy who is supposed to bring balance? Where is the good friend ANH Ben Kenobi mentions? Why the heck does Padme fall in love with this schmuck??? The whole character of Anakin does not work... that in my opinion is a major flaw and that causes a lot of the films (including the OT) to lose its flavour. If you can't understand the hero's actions, the hero is not interesting.

Anakin had to have character flaws; otherwise, how could he have been influenced by Darth Sidious into falling to the Dark Side?
Anakin had a good heart, but he had a problem of wanting too much. A desire for power - to do what he believes is the right thing for the galaxy, like freeing all slaves on Tatooine - it ultimately didn't mesh with the more passive Jedi principles of influence. Anakin would find he had more in common with Sith principles - power not used is power wasted - and found he was wrong that power corrupts, as well. He had a romantic side to his reckless nature - that's what drew Padme to him.
Luke would have some of the same flaws, and was on the verge of falling himself in ROTJ, but manages to succeed where Anakin failed, by pulling back at the last minute.

queeq
Yeah yeah.. when do we SEE Anakin has a good heart older than nine years old? NEVER!!!

Where is the 'good friend' OB1 mentions in ANH? I didn't see him in the PT? Why does anybody are about Anakin? Nobody does, well OB1... but nah... Not a guy we can cheer for, as we could for Luke. That doesn't mean he has to be perfect, please no, taht's not sympathetic either. But Anakin is just an a$$.

roughrider
Ten years passed between TPM and AOTC; long enough for the two to have bonded and for Obi-Wan to consider him a friend. It just that by the beginning of Clones, we see him now as a 20-year old chafing under Obi-Wan's strict, by-the-book principles. Obi-Wan is aware of how much more lecturing he seems to have to do, but they still work together because of past loyalty. Anakin may have turned out differently had Qui-Gon lived to be his teacher - one of the signature turning points in his destiny.

queeq
What we don't see is not there. Unless we feel it underneath. In AOTC there is neither, so canonwise it is not there. There is no evidence at all for a good friendship.

roughrider
What we don't see is not there. Unless we feel it underneath. In AOTC there is neither, so canonwise it is not there. There is no evidence at all for a good friendship.

What does canon have to do with any of this?

It's there because George Lucas says it's there. Enough said.

You feel you have to see every day of the ten years between Obi-Wan and Anakin to be convinced? To see how he evolved from a bright, bold kid into a moody young man? (lots of kids become moody once they hit the teenage years.)
If you stop to think about the characters, you can find your answers without having a filmmaker just blunty tell you what is happening. Anakin was made an apprentice at an unacceptably old age, but was made an exception because of his huge potential. He already had a value system and family attachments - Jedi are found at a much earlier age, so attachments can't be formed. Anakin still couldn't let go of his previous life, and wrestled with the Jedi principle of solitude, which forbids marriage. This is going on under the surface for him by the time we see him again in AOTC. It's referred to in indirect ways through the film, and Obi-Wan is concerned Anakin doesn't have the emotional maturity to handle his gifts. You can discover all this if you reason it out, from what was seen before and what Anakin says now.
George Lucas trusts his audience to figure things out, without him having to explain every single detail.

queeq
Originally posted by roughrider
It's there because George Lucas says it's there. Enough said.

Well,he should have said it in his film, not in interviews ABOUT the film. Major flaw.

roughrider
Well,he should have said it in his film, not in interviews ABOUT the film. Major flaw.

You just proved my point. wink

queeq
No I didn't. If he said so, why didn't he make it clear in the movies.

You can SAY James Bond is gay, but there's no movie where you have a clue that he really is.

roughrider
You proved my point - intelligent fans and moviegoers can figure things out.

Other fans apparently need to be told everything - in BIG BOLD LETTERS.

coolmovies
That Anakin was a show off he couldent tell the difference between good or bad. Luke took orders from obi wan all through the OT . The emprore tryed very hard to turn him but he didnt . Thats why we love the OT coz lukes a hero and anakin is a loser coz he turned to the dark side . Also luke had very little training given by obi wan and yoda but the force was strong with him

queeq
Originally posted by roughrider
You proved my point - intelligent fans and moviegoers can figure things out.

Other fans apparently need to be told everything - in BIG BOLD LETTERS.

Told??? That has to do with sympathizing? I can't care less for Anakin because he's such a dick. I can't understand why Ob1 says he loved him or that he was a good friend? I don't have to be told, but I want to feel what the characters do say is true. And I don't believe Anakin was a good friend, he was an a$$hole. And a$$hole that couldn't even turn back by himself, he needed a self sacrificing act from his son to do one good act in his post-9 year old life.

roughrider
You don't know the difference between sympathizing and empathizing, do you?

queeq
Empathy comes naturally when you feel sympathy for someone. Both are lacking in PT Anakin...

I feel more for the ROTJ redeemed Vader than for the entire PT Anakin.

roughrider
Empathy comes naturally when you feel sympathy for someone. Both are lacking in PT Anakin...

I feel more for the ROTJ redeemed Vader than for the entire PT Anakin.

Exactly.
We can't really sympathize with young Anakin - he makes one wrong decision after another, and gets further into the darkness until he can't stop himself and get out. But there is empathy for him, because we can see where these decisions come from, and how they are borne out of his upbringing and nature. If he stood back and thought more about what he did, he could have avoided the tragic choices he makes, but he was blinded too much by his own confidence and by the master gamesmanship of Palpatine - he successfully fooled everyone, Obi-Wan admitted.
So people expecting to watch a conventional hero at work in the PT will be disappointed. But they should have known better, if they know the tragic destiny awaiting Anakin, who must take partial blame for his fall despite Palpatine - it was in his nature. The Jedi Order sensed it at first, but would choose to overlook it, thus their inevitable downfall.
It would take the final day of his life for Anakin to redeem himself and throw off the darkness in ROTJ; you are right to have sympathy there. In the end, he would become the hero, fulfill the prophecy and destroy the Sith (as George Lucas pointed out.)

queeq
Tragic? The point is, Anakin is NOT tragic. He's just a dick that gets what coming to him. That's not tragic, that getting what you deserve. So why can tehre be empathy.
Point is, there may be all this sympathetic and empathetic intentions (it works a lot better in the novels I think) but there is hardly anything of that in the movies. And that is all that counts.

I mean, in the OT I wanted Luke to win, I wanted Han to be saved, I wanted Luke to defeat Vader but not give in to the Dark Side.
I never felt about Anakin that he shouldn't turn. He was going to turn and that was clear the first scene we saw him in AOTC: a guy who goes his own way and doesn't like to be told what to do. Presto: instant a$$hole, just add some Dark Side.

roughrider
Then we just agree to disagree. You and I are seeing different things in the films; that's all.

queeq
Well, talking about seeing... where DO you see the 'good friend' Anakin?

roughrider
You want to keep this going?

Go back up to my second post on this page, and read again.

We are going in circles here.

queeq
All you said so far is that it's there because Lucas says so. I don't see it, nor any evidence that may suggest so.

roughrider
So tell me...
When you watched the OT (I'll assume for the moment you watched that first) and Obi-Wan tells Luke how Anakin was a good friend, and how in becoming Dath Vader "the good man that was your father was destroyed", did you sit there full of disbelief? Because nothing that we had seen in Vader to that point supported that statement? And that Luke was reaching with a statement like "there is still good in him"? Vader would only make it true in the climatic scene; prior to that there were only small hints. I think it's more likely you believed Obi-Wan and took him at his word, despite there being no screen time or flashback to show it.
Yet, you demand more proof when we see Anakin becoming a young man, at a time when we see him chafing under Obi-Wan's disciplined guidance, because his great power with the force is starting to make him reckless, even arrogant. Plus, struggling with the forbidden notion of attachment, when he was still attached to his former life and hadn't given up on a relationship with Padme.
Like before, I will take Obi-Wan at his word that they were friends, even like brothers, despite the fact we see him mostly in a troubled period, vunerable to the scheming turns of fate created by Palpatine.

queeq
I don't demand proof to show Anakin was basically a good man, I take that as info. But it would be nice, and that is very important in filmmaking, to sympathize with OB1 about his loss. Seeing this arrogant prick running around for two movies, I cannot think otherwise than 'good riddens'... I just can't share OB1's emotion of loss there, except maybe self pity about his own failure.
So.. I take it fact, like you do, but I would have thought it normal at least to see and experience some of the friendship. The bigger the friendship, the more dramatic Anakin's fall.

If we see Anakin at the end of ROTJ, I'd always thought that was a glimpse of who Anakin once was... well, it's not. There was never such an Anakin as we see at the end of ROTJ. The suit did him well...

sithsaber408
No, he was friends with Obi-wan. It's just that when we see them in AOTC, other things are in the foreground. But look at the backround of things:

How they talk and laugh at an old mis-hap in "that nest of gundarks" and they are warm with each other in the elevator to Padme's apartment.

Though the talk turns to Anakin's thinking of Padme and politics, when they are first talking about Anakin's dreams of his mother on the balcony...Obi-wan is clearly sympathetic and helpful to him and Anakin is clearly open and honest.

And during the Genosis battle:

On the gunship: "Good call, my young padawan." Even though Anakin just accepts the praise with a quick nod, this is important.

Obi-wan is clearly happy at Anakin's skill and says so. They have a respect, even when they disagree often.

I always thought that the little bit where Anakin jumps to catch Dooku's blade from cutting off Obi-wan's head, and then Obi-wan throwing the 2nd saber to Anakin showed their teamwork and friendship.

Those actions were largely tactical in nature to win the duel, but the way anakin yells and jumps in.... you know he cares for Obi-Wan. And Obi-wan throws that other saber to Anakin along with his hopes... that the young boy might realize his powers and defeat dooku.

Those are all little things, kind of shown quickly so that you know while there is arguments and disagreements, they are indeed friends and partners.

As for ROTS,.... please.

Everything from Anakin saving Obi-wans hide in the space battle, to the way they talk and joke casually in the elevators, to the combined effort against dooku shows how thier friendship and teamwork has grown.

Most telling: When Anakin stares down Palps and says with no uncertainty... "His fate will be the same as ours."

Then he carries him out on his back.

Also, the talks that they have after that mission, about seeing the senators and how it was anankin's glory day, and it was all because obi's training.....etc....

shows their warm freindship.

Most of all: the last conversation that they have.

Anakin apologizes for his pride and arrogance. Obi-wan in turn tells him that he is strong and wise. A greater jedi than Obi-wan will ever be.

He loves him, like a younger brother, truly, and it shows.

And anakin says to him with great sincerity: May the force be with you.

That was truly, the boldest, purest Jedi-like statement that we hear Anakin make, because he meant it.

It's not the forefront of the PT, but I could definately see that they were good freinds who got destroyed by Darth Vader.

queeq
Shall we make a list of the bickering... it's a LOT longer and definately more consistent and non-interpretative.

sithsaber408
Shall we make a list of the bickering... it's a LOT longer and definately more consistent and non-interpretative.

No.

Because nobody is disputing the bickering.

It's what friends, or older/younger brother types do.

What the issue is for you, is that Obi-Wan says of Anakin : "He was a good friend." and you don't feel that from the PT.

I just gave you a whole bunch of things that you can obviously take as being signs of them being good friends.

Of course, the conflicts and disagreements are there becuase the PT is about how Anakin turned to the dark side.

He's going to have rebellion/arguments with all authority, including Obi-Wan.

But that's only in AOTC, and even in that film we see times where it's obvious that they are good friends, that they are partners, that they care about each other, and respect each others powers.

In ROTS, they are completely partners, equals, and brothers.

Anakin doesn't even bicker with Obi-wan, other than one small scene where he expresses anger about the council, but even then he isn't pissed at Obi-Wan.

He betrays him outright. That's part of the tragedy, but up to that point, they are total friends in EP III.

I know you don't like the PT queeq, but it seems that you are looking for an issue here where there is none.

Anakin and Obi were never meant to be Solo and Luke.

vintageSW77
i dont buy the buddy stuff
it doesnt work
its forced
it reminds me of Dr Rick Dalgless and Sanch in GARTH MERENGIS DARKPLACE

i dont know why Lucas didnt do an audio commentary for the cinema to inform us that THESE TWO ARE FRIENDS WHO HAVE A HISTORY SINCE TPM AND THEY LIKE A GIGGLE TOO

its sad but the comment that Obi makes about anakin : "he was a good friend" (which for years conjured up many an image in fan boys imagination) now means wisecracks accompanying unexpected leaps from coruscant speeders,comments about being "a poster boy" and wacky exploits with gundarks

Anakin and Obi true were never going to be Han and Luke but give us something believable
by the time Lucas got it right with the final moments of Anakin on Mustafar it was too little too late

reason #1 why the PT sucks

sithsaber408
hat0r.

stick out tongue

queeq
Vintage is right.... that is the whole problem. A commentary would only have stressed the fact that Lucas was not able to show some decent affection between the two.

sithsaber408
Well, we agree to disagree I suppose.

I'm an unabashed PT lover, so take my words with a grain of salt, but I saw more than enough on screen to show that Anakin "Was the best star pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior. And he was a good friend."

One that was lost to the darkside, through fear, anger, jealousy, and greed.

Guess you didn't see that as I did.

No matter, SW still rules, and Empire is still the best of them.

Of that, we can rest assured. smile

queeq
And on Empire we agree!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.