Heath Ledger as Joker: Colossal miscasting, or genius?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TricksterPriest
I really can't call this one. On the one hand, we may have one of the guys from Brokeback mountain playing Joker. On the other hand, I'm willing to give Chris Nolan the benefit of the doubt. Ledger seems a little too young and to not have the acting chops required. I like that Nolan wants to use "The Killing Joke" as a major influence. thumb up

.....Alright, I'll be honest. I think Ledger was seriously miscast and that they should have gotten Christopher Walken. evil face Best actor to play psychopaths and maniacs. laughing

Loot

Lucid Lui
He's a very talented actor, who's shown he can play a vast amount of different roles. Whether he can play Joker or not... well i guess we'll have to wait and see.

I think he'll do a good job.

Redatom65
the question is will he be better than mark hammill.

Badabing
What movies has Ledger been in?

wuTa
Originally posted by TricksterPriest

.....Alright, I'll be honest. I think Ledger was seriously miscast and that they should have gotten Christopher Walken. evil face Best actor to play psychopaths and maniacs. laughing

Best actor to play psychos and maniacs is Deniro. Taxi, Goodfellows, Cape Fear. I would have liked to see Cristopher Glover play the joker instead of Ledger myself

TricksterPriest
Robert De Niro? Walken's Gabriel from "The Prophecy" was far more evil and psychotic.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0005132/

Given his list of works, I'm not impressed he has the acting chops to play the ace of knaves.

Originally posted by Redatom65
the question is will he be better than mark hammill.

Word. If Hamil weren't too old, I'd say use him instead. That voice was insidiously evil. evil face

Impediment
Jack Nicholson's Joker was nothing more than an imitation of Caesar Romero's Joker form the campy 1960's series: an obnoxious and goofy laugh box.

Ledger can pull it off, if you ask me. He has the seriousness in his voice, and his eyes look like they can seep evil and insanity.

Loot
Originally posted by Impediment

Ledger can pull it off, if you ask me. He has the seriousness in his voice, and his eyes look like they can seep evil and insanity.

exactly what i think.

wait for the movie before talking that he was a bad choice really.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
I really can't call this one. On the one hand, we may have one of the guys from Brokeback mountain playing Joker. On the other hand, I'm willing to give Chris Nolan the benefit of the doubt. Ledger seems a little too young and to not have the acting chops required. I like that Nolan wants to use "The Killing Joke" as a major influence. thumb up

.....Alright, I'll be honest. I think Ledger was seriously miscast and that they should have gotten Christopher Walken. evil face Best actor to play psychopaths and maniacs. laughing I can call it. Great casting by Chris Nolan. He is getting people that can act. Nicholson was good. Ledger might be even better.

Superguy
Originally posted by Impediment
Jack Nicholson's Joker was nothing more than an imitation of Caesar Romero's Joker form the campy 1960's series: an obnoxious and goofy laugh box.

Ledger can pull it off, if you ask me. He has the seriousness in his voice, and his eyes look like they can seep evil and insanity. Amen! Nicholson was f**king overrated beyond belief... sad

KonekoNinja
Well I think heath ledger is kind of young to play joker (this opinion is probably influenced by Nicholson) but I think he deserves a chance I don't think he's ever been dreadful in anything before.

Mark Hamil-the best Joker

Wolverine2006
I think that Ledger could do a good job...but I always thought that if Jim Carey never played the riddler he would a pretty good Joker, as long as he took the role seriously.

Silverstein
Originally posted by Superguy
Amen! Nicholson was f**king overrated beyond belief... sad

FINALLY someone that i can definately agree with cool

to tell you all the truth, nicholson is funny but in burtons batman he just wasn't.

i think ledger should do alrite, i recently saw him in The Brothers Grimm and loved his acting, he looked bout 10 yrs older and completely different in bros grimm than knights tale.

and when he's the joker he'll definately look different: coming out of the acid bath and all...

KillAll
what the hell do you need a new joker for??? is there another batman movie?

Scoobless
Originally posted by KillAll
what the hell do you need a new joker for??? is there another batman movie?

What the f**k?

Loot
Originally posted by Scoobless
What the f**k?

laughing

Magee
Who is batman?

Jamaican
Did you actually sit & watch this movie?? To say that he was not funny is like saying Burton's movies weren't dark. He did an amazing job. People generally have two opinions or views on the Joker:

1 - a person that is so insane that he's totally delirious and is in a constant state of laughing etc., etc

2 - The way Nolan wants it portrayed. A very dark, sadistic person that has his own way of viewing humor. What is horrible to us is funny as hell to him.

Nicholson's was the former - sit back and watch the punch lines. He's totally delirious. Not to mention the fact that it makes you forget that that's Jack Nicholson playing the part.

Just look at his final scene - he's getting beaten to death and he's cracking jokes: "you wouldn't hit a guy with glasses now would you", while the building is breaking down on him - "they don't build them like they used to"... etc, etc.

He was an amazing Joker - just a different Joker.

Silverstein
Originally posted by Jamaican
Did you actually sit & watch this movie?? To say that he was not funny is like saying Burton's movies weren't dark. He did an amazing job. People generally have two opinions or views on the Joker:

1 - a person that is so insane that he's totally delirious and is in a constant state of laughing etc., etc

2 - The way Nolan wants it portrayed. A very dark, sadistic person that has his own way of viewing humor. What is horrible to us is funny as hell to him.

Nicholson's was the former - sit back and watch the punch lines. He's totally delirious. Not to mention the fact that it makes you forget that that's Jack Nicholson playing the part.

Just look at his final scene - he's getting beaten to death and he's cracking jokes: "you wouldn't hit a guy with glasses now would you", while the building is breaking down on him - "they don't build them like they used to"... etc, etc.

He was an amazing Joker - just a different Joker.

i sat down and watched film, even when i was a kid i did. i just dont find Nicholson funny as The Joker in burtons Batman. I know he was throwing jokes/punchlines left and right but it just seem so bleh. Nicholson is a funny guy no doubt, but the 'jokes' he was telling weren't. The way Nolan plans to portray Joker is the way i always imagined Joker, i didnt imagine the Joker to be a lame ass comedian who recited one liner jokes.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Silverstein
i didnt imagine the Joker to be a lame ass comedian who recited one liner jokes.

That's Spider-Man's forte.

Silverstein
but spider-man is probably purposely lame to make the audience feel a little bit better.

Jamaican
If you go through the Batman comics, a lot of the jokes are one liners...

Funny to you. They were funny, just very subtle.

Big Sexy
Originally posted by Silverstein
i sat down and watched film, even when i was a kid i did. i just dont find Nicholson funny as The Joker in burtons Batman. I know he was throwing jokes/punchlines left and right but it just seem so bleh. Nicholson is a funny guy no doubt, but the 'jokes' he was telling weren't. The way Nolan plans to portray Joker is the way i always imagined Joker, i didnt imagine the Joker to be a lame ass comedian who recited one liner jokes. Thats all through the series. The thing about Joker is most of his jokes are only funny to him. Nicholson did a great job in that movie.

Silverstein
the point is, it looks like the writer of Burtons Batman TRIED to make people laugh. I know sadistic sick things won't make me laugh beacuse its just sick, but a dude gets melted by acid "you stole my balloons" its like "wtf" "that's not even...thats just stupid..."

Jamaican
My point exactly.

For example - SPOILER

@ the end of No Man's Land, Gordon shoots Joker in the knee, to which Joker says "Batman - you're just going to stand there and let him do that...oh wait - Commish, you're good! You shot me in the knee just like I shot your daughter" . (B/c as we all know, Joker is the reason Barbara is now a cripple). And he bursts into laughter. Now, to the characters in the film, that's not funny -- it's only funny to him. But to me, that's funny as hell.

Hercules
Ledger is a very good actor, I think he will do a good job.

Silverstein
My point exactly.

For example - SPOILER

@ the end of No Man's Land, Gordon shoots Joker in the knee, to which Joker says "Batman - you're just going to stand there and let him do that...oh wait - Commish, you're good! You shot me in the knee just like I shot your daughter" . (B/c as we all know, Joker is the reason Barbara is now a cripple). And he bursts into laughter. Now, to the characters in the film, that's not funny -- it's only funny to him. But to me, that's funny as hell.

if it was burtons batman joker would say "uh oh!!! i got a boooooboooo! ahahhahahahahhaha!!!!!!!" after got shot in the knee...

jgiant
Jack Nicholson is the Joker as far as im concerned. He nailed that part, it was made for him. I only wish he was in it more. "Never Rub another man's rubarb." "Lifes been good to me" "Im Glad your dead" "They don't make em like they use to ehh batsey?" Hell i think mostly everything that came out of his mouth was funny and that commericial was classic "Looks like he's been useing brand X" "And hair color so natural only ur undertaker knows for sure" those are great lines!

charlemagne9746
I hope the new Batman series doesn't just repeat the Batman movies from the 90's. I mean...what's after the Joker...are they gonna make another Batman movie with Penguin as the villain?

Juntai
My point exactly.

For example - SPOILER

@ the end of No Man's Land, Gordon shoots Joker in the knee, to which Joker says "Batman - you're just going to stand there and let him do that...oh wait - Commish, you're good! You shot me in the knee just like I shot your daughter" . (B/c as we all know, Joker is the reason Barbara is now a cripple). And he bursts into laughter. Now, to the characters in the film, that's not funny -- it's only funny to him. But to me, that's funny as hell. Now I'll never walk again . .OH I GET IT! LIKE YOUR DAUGHTER!

LORDSIDIOUS01
Ledger is an excellent choice.

darktim1
Anyone see the pic of him as joker looks very different. than Jack Nicholson joker character.

ragesRemorse
He is a very good actor, so yeah why not?

Many people thought that Christian bale was to much of a sophisticated actor to pull off batman, but those assumptions were shot down very quickly.

I mean really would you rather have ben affleck as the joker? Ledger has proven he has diversity in his abilities, so i think we will witness a far better incarnation of the joker than even nicholson.

jrodslam
As someone stated. "Nicholson IS the Joker". I agree wiht that statement. I already dont like the new look.

ragesRemorse
thats what everyone said about reeves as superman, but routh did more than a fitting job as superman. Maybe thats because singer tried to make him as much like reeves as possible though from his recycled dialogue to presence eh

Shit man as much as i dig the nicholson joker i am eagerly awaiting the more darker joker. I thought no one would fill the bat cow of keaton, but bale proved that wrong for me

Is nolan directing the sequal? If so, there is nothing to worry about at all, He knows how to direct actors

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.