Serious Arguments Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
I'm sorry I couldn't resist. But whilst we have this thread, why not discuss something?? I see someone already posted their sentiments concerning school....anyone else?

Dexx
ooh...ooh...me..me..pick me! *desperatley waves hand*

Julie
Um yes you, there yes you...go ahead, we are all awaiting your comments

Tex
I like Pop Tarts :shy:

keokiswahine
twinkies, ding dongs, ho ho's

yerssot
oftopic after one reply... already happened, so nothing special

Fire
serious arguments, well I dunno

Ushgarak
I saw an interesting programme about the Muslim perspective on September 11th yesterday... that's something that could cause a serious argument...

ToMacco
Yeah, don't even get me started on the September 11th shit. I don't have the strenght to argue that anymore.

Tex
Apparantely some people have been saying that it's OK to kill regular US citizens. Beacuse Americans elect their government. Making the average Joe and Jane responsible for what's going on in the Middle East.
Scary sad

Dexx
*pushes topic buttons*
i hope this'll get us off 11th sept.

mah
what about those increased bombings over Iraq, and Bush and Blair trying to get everyone to support starting a war on them. thats scary

Dexx
oh no..pushed the wrong buttons....not this one.
*scrambles buttons again*

finti
not as scary as civilian targets, at least US and UK bomb military installation

Fire
finti has a point,
killing innocent ppl is not necessairy in todays wars
and ppl who say that killing us citizens, because they elect their gouverment is idiotic

mah
yes, but scary cause if they bomb Iraq, all hell may break loose. Iraq said they would defend themselves if they are attacked, so we know it aint gonna be pretty.

jayride
As I was reading through this thread, contemplating the bombings, I thought about the bombing of Hiroshima back in mid 1900's. Then I thought about Japan and wondered if we could just bomb Sony and Mitsubishi someday for making such crappy electronic equipment. Then my thoughts wandered to the Asian community. Are there any oriental people in this place? Am I the only Korean/American here? Is this really a serious argument? What am I going to eat for lunch? When is China gonna say, "hey, I've got umpteen billion people, why don't I just take over the world?" No prejudice against anyone, but isn't China kinda scary? They're too quiet.

mah
yea I bet Bush thinks "hmm, them chinese has been scarily quiet lately, they're a big threat. lets attack!"

Fire
lol, nha the chinese have some other problems to deal with first I think, before they can take on the world.
and sony doesn't make crappy electronics the PSX was and still is great game consol within it's league. PSII is a bit less but still very good imo

Dexx
psII is last comparing with Xbox or gamecube....still is good though.

yerssot
there goes the seriousness...
*tries to catch it before it leaves the room*

Fire
well psII still has the advantage that u can play or psx games, which the cube and Xbox don't have

jayride
Question for the non-american:

Do you see alot of negative press about George Bush in your countries?

yerssot
laughing out loud

a better question would be if we saw any positive

mah
true

Dexx
i think just by wtahcing him speak i can make my own impression...

Julie
In answer to one of Jayride's ques....no you are not the only Korean American here...I'm one too I was born in Seoul and raised in the States

Dexx
so how do ya see bush...from both american non american sides

Julie
huh???? my family is republican....I don't know all that much about politice...dirty business that....but I do think that Bush is doing a decent job of running the US

jayride
I'd be extremely surprised if he didn't get re-elected. His advisory staff was well picked, so I admire his tactical approach. Bush has put alot of concentration on the media-targeted issues, which is what the public is looking for, even if it's not what's most important. (I'm sick of media-led politics.) He's smart enough to see what pleases society and he performs with it. I don't believe this makes him a fool. It just guarantees him a 2nd term. During the first term he will set stage and prepare for what's to come. During the second, he will act MUCH differently. Honestly, I fear what's to come more than with Reagan, Bush Sr., or Clinton. Watch closely and remember my words...

finti
well we have been saying Bush is scary for quite a while now Jayride

Dexx
sick

Gundark
I think attacking Iraq is a bad idea.

mah
indeedio..but he's got his clone Blair with him, so...

yerssot
laughing out loud
sorry, my wicket humor...

"I think attacking Iraq is a bad idea"
then BOOM! A-bomb on Iraq, no Iraq left

mah
what?

yerssot
nothing, something bushish

Ushgarak
Sigh... and again, the tired old 'Clone Blair' cliches come out; a nonsense comparison made by ignorant people who have not studied the facts.

Fire
chill ush
idd blair ain't a bush clone, tho to other countries it seems that blair often chooses the side of the USA over the side of the other EU countries, which is the right of the U.K. ofcourse.

about attacking Iraq I wouldn't do it, but only history will show wether or not it has prevented something that could have happened

mah
nay, for he IS getting more alike, both in opinions and appearance actually.
http://gfx.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2002/09/04/blairbush_sak.jpg

yerssot
look at those two cowboys

queeq
One's a cowboy, the other's a wuss.

yerssot
now now, don't think some people will like it when you call Bush a wuss

queeq
I think his family will think it's great improvement to what he's usually called.

yerssot
well, actually we should show the others what he's called normally wink

queeq
We try to keep it a little decent around here.

yerssot
you do? haven't noticed that

finti
I would have called the picture the moron and his chimp

yerssot
bush being the chimp of course

finti
wrong

queeq
again

yerssot
guess you haven't seen the pics around then

Gundark
We should just send Saddam in a one-way rocket to the moon. He can rule in a dusty crater to his heart's content.

Dexx
but he likes it here..where it's worm and comphy

Thomas H
hehe! well, then let him burn, and he will leave, because its to hot!haha

mah
last time I checked, the moon was quite cool

Thomas H
sometimes warm and good !hehe

yerssot
how do you know?

Ushgarak
Yes, the papers carried those same photos as if they meant anything at all... ooh, Tony touched his belt... wow...

Blair has turned up to American receptions in cowboy boots before- he just likes to please his hosts. Suddenly everyone leaps onto one mannerism. It's very depressing.

Tex
Cowboy boots are really expensive you know.
A good pair will run you anywhere from $900-$3000!

As for Saddam:
America as we know is just one big pot of shit nowadays.
We live in fear, our rights are just being taken away by our government, our economy is in shambles, crooked CEOs and wall street have been lying through their teeth for years and now all that crap is starting to crumble.
So what is America to do?
Let's invade Iraq, take their oil and sell it to other countries.
Makes me sick!

People are loosing their jobs left and right, taxes and the cost of living is going up, no good economic outlook in sight; So what is Bush doing about it? Going to war, gonna get alot of good boys killed, taxes will go up, stocks will fall, more people will loose their jobs, retribution terrorist attacks will probably occur. Oh yeah, good one Dubya, way to go! roll eyes (sarcastic)

And just think about what will happen in the middle east, complete chaos! sick Those people are already suffering as it is. Just imagine what Bush will do to them! It's a war crime I say!
Why Blair is supporting Bush is beyond me! He's like a little dog on a leash! roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
told you around a year ago about the man in charge of US is no good Tex.

Tex
Yup

So your running in the next election I take it? wink

mah
USh turning into a Blair-clone!stick out tongue every opinion he has, you have!

finti
you sure you havent got it the other way around there Mah

Ushgarak
Blair is supporting Bush because he thinks it is the right thing to do. How daringly criminal of him! Oh, he simply MUST be a lapdog of Bush now, just because he happens to agree with him! Why did I not see it before?

It's a contemptuously bad piece of analysis to say that. I don't remember anyone ever saying that Churchill was a clone of Roosevelt.

In any case, Tex, this won't be a unilateral war; now the French think a weapons inspection deadline is a good idea this is turning into far more the sort of thing it should be- the enforcing of UN declarations made some time ago that have been flouted for too long, rather than just one warmonger's senseless assault on a country he dislikes.

The US sure as hell isn't getting access to Iraqi oil and the intention here is to prevent terrorist atrocities; just about every study we have says that leaving Iraq is more dangerous than any other option.

Iraq should submit to legally made UN Resolutions now or it will get what it deserves.

mah
well there sure as hell isnt a unified agreement on this, and it's still mostly UK and US attempting to get everyone else to agree, which the large majority does not.
attacking Iraq, what the heck is it good for? before everything is destroyed, saddam has said they will defend themselves and all hell may break loose and stay loose for a long period of time.
blair says he wouldn't agree on everything Bush says cause of loyality, but because he thinks they do the right things, but to me it seems Blair would say 'yes' even if Bush pointed his gun at the UK!
blair Always agrees with Bush!!

Ushgarak
Well, no, Blair would not say yes to everrything Bush says and the UK and US have already had several serious disagreements on how to handle the Iraq issue; all they really agree on is that something must be done. For the UK, there is no question of unilateral action; but many US hawks still think solo is the way to go; I am almost certain that the US administration will, and has been, seeing sense on this issue and will do no such thing as stupid as going in alone.

I think you will find international support improving soon, Mah. The French want the deadline, the Russians are ok so long as their (extremely large) credit bill with Iraq is guaranteed, and if all those come over the Chinese will probably abstain.

I will remind you, yet again, that UN resolutions state that Iraq must be, if necessary, forcibly stopped from doing what it is doing. This is not just the US; it was agreed by the globsl body responsbile for this very sort of thing.

If you think the US is the crazy country and Bush the crazy man that you say they are, they would also be targetting North Korea and the like. As it is, the reason Iraq is being targeted is precisely because this is a situation where the UN is very clear and because the US will not just go rampaging around the whole world on its own.

mah
we'll see, I don't think international support will increase, and if it does it will be from the mega-countries you listed, which will be good enough for attack yes, but I dont see most countries supporting it. even our US-loving foreign politics-minister doesnt think too much of it.

Ushgarak
But international support is already increasing, in lieu of the new relevations about Iraq's nuclear capacity revealed by an international body and if they actually get around to releasing their evidence soon it will increase further still (though this will only, mostly, be stuff that any person could find out if he goes and reads the relevant documents).

France and Russia have been two of Iraq's most vigorous 'supporters' in recent years; they are the leaders in pro-Iraqi sentiment outside the Arab world and now they are turning around. The mood is shifting; Iraq has failed to deliver on recent promises to allow inspectors back in- something which all countries agree is necessary- and patience is running out.

mah
well that is most unfortunate. and those evidences, hasn't some countries, like Germany, already seen them and not given more support?

Ushgarak
Schroeder is certainly riding the anti-American wave, for sure. But I can't see his logic; the UN has said that Iraq should not be allowed these weapons, the commission appointed by the UN says she has them and is still building them, other agencies have since repeatedly confirmed this (the new nuclear evidence being very worrying indeed) the UN says that Iraq must be compelled if she does not co-operate... how much more is there to say?

This is why France is coming around; she doesn't want an invasion regardless (which some of the more worrying US voices have been asking for (see, I think Dick Cheney is far more scary than Bush)), but now thinks there is a solid case for compelled inspections.

finti
that is because he swing with the wind, he might change his views yet again that spineless jerk of a politician still Bush is a warmonger and I think he has mistaken his chances of reelection clings on him going to war.
Even so everybody griped about no one stopped Hitler before he went too far. Now we have someone who is willing to stop a dangerous leader, and then they whine about that too.
I say get Saddam and pluck his mustache

Ushgarak
Would Bush really be foolish enough to pin his re-election hopes on a successful war? It didn't work with his father.

finti
I think that is what he clings to. Never claimed he was smart, but the Democrats need to come up with an opponent to Bush soon, one that can be around so they get used to him before the elections. More or less like they did with Clinton

Fire
maybe he thinks he can be better then his father
well ush and finti u might be right that a war with attack iraq is a smart thing to do, but it could just be that it could cause a lot of problems.
this could be come the end justifice the means if things go wrong

finti
should be a piece of cake

Fire
probably

mah
well Ush, didn't someone say that Iraq's weapons had a questionable range and quality? that they didn't pose such a big threat..sorry I can't remember who, saw it in the news the other day.

yerssot
well, bush does have to think about elections

Ushgarak
'Questionable' hardly makes me feel assured, Mah; the inspections should continue. And the UN has very little reservation about the lethality of Iraq's arsenal.

queeq
Inspections should continue? But how well can these guys inspect. It's a large country, by the time you've combed out the place, they're gonna be years gone from now.

finti
makes them even more dangerous

BackFire349
very true finti.

queeq
Indeed. And biological heads can be attached to them.

finti
Sadam needs to be "removed"

Ushgarak
UNSCOM alwyas seemd confident that inspections were practicable; I am hardly an expert but I believe them.

Julie
Inspections????

finti
yeah they gonna inspect his nickers for chemical weapons big grin

Arguementist
Your wish is my command.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Small, malleable minds make great substitutes for sponges used to clean bathroom floors. I like to see sparkles.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Arguementist

I actually think you might not be here for two long. But welcome anyways. You may now comment on the gayness of my signature and avatar. Although, I tell you I am perfectly aware of it.

Arguementist
THis is an argument thread isnt it

Or have i got the wrong end of the stick. In fact just to be a clever prat ill report my own post to get the mods attention

Bardock42
THis is an argument thread isnt it

Oh have i got the wrong end of the stick.

Yeah, it is an argument thread. A serious one. Not an insult Thread. Look up the differences.

Arguementist
Sorry lads i did a search on yahoo for argument threads and this one came up. I thought this thread was arguing with other people but im wrong. I did report my own post because i like to grass my self up. Im a sad little man looking to pick fights.

Lol nah im just pulling peoples chain harmless fun really i cant talk about my name can i now

By the way what is up with this box appearing asking me some time zone nonsense its bloody annoying.

Bardock42
Sorry lads i did a search on yahoo for argument threads and this one came up. I thought this thread was arguing with other people but im wrong. I did report my own post because i like to grass my self up. Im a sad little man looking to pick fights.

Lol nah im just pulling peoples chain harmless fun really i cant talk about my name can i now

By the way what is up with this box appearing asking me some time zone nonsense its bloody annoying.

It means that your time zone seems to be set wrongly....so you probably receive a wrong time.

Arguementist
Cheers by the way ill remove the post i made since i got the wrong idea duh at me.

I cincerly apologise to anyone i have offended.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.