Why do Mountains appear the most in Religions?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
In nearly all beliefs and religions there is always....always a story involving a mountain. Why do you think the deities or mythos choose mountains?

Sure, there are depictions of rivers, sea, deserts, and jungles....but most of the time it is mountains that are mention the most. Does it have anything to do with reaching the heavens or been on the top of all?

Comments.

wuTa
Maybe they're metaphores for reaching goals.

Shakyamunison
Because mountains are hard to get to the top of. They are large, and some of them blow up and kill everyone. That is my guess...

Symmetric Chaos
Majesty and sheer size used as a symbol of a powerful invincible divine.

debbiejo
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
In nearly all beliefs and religions there is always....always a story involving a mountain. Why do you think the deities or mythos choose mountains?

Sure, there are depictions of rivers, sea, deserts, and jungles....but most of the time it is mountains that are mention the most. Does it have anything to do with reaching the heavens or been on the top of all?

Comments. Hey, that's a good observation. Reaching god, separation from earth in metaphorical terms, a higher place of enlightenment, a reaching forth of higher perfection and communing with god.

Nellinator
I think they also are provide solitude. The wilderness is an excellent place to escape and spend time with God.

WrathfulDwarf
Aside from metaphors...I will tell you out of my own experience that mountains are rather peaceful places.

I've done a few of my meditations in one of them. It was a rather tranquil and peaceful moment. I think it's great for the spirit to climb a mountain and feel you been challenge.

Alliance
Mountains are everywhere and are places people had trouble going. They were also assocaited with they sky, which is where gods lived.

Climbing a mountain was a way to reach the places of gods. And probly, most people had heard of/seen mountains.

Adam_PoE

A story has to be set somewhere, and a mountain is as good a place as any. You may as well ask why in all beliefs and all religions there is always a story involving water.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Nellinator
I think they also are provide solitude. The wilderness is an excellent place to escape and spend time with God.

Yes, very much so.

Hyenas and Snakes are perfect messengers of the Lord

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
A story has to be set somewhere, and a mountain is as good a place as any. You may as well ask why in all beliefs and all religions there is always a story involving water.

There are many referrences to different things. Like you said water and there is also blood, fasting, praying etc...but Mountains is more geographical. Which makes you think...why mountains? Why not under the sea? or why not the moon..or Mars...etc..

There is something about Mountains which really attracts people. For some reason Mountains have a mystic property that makes them appealing to religions and myths.

debbiejo
Well everyone knows mountains are where the gods live...

Mount Olympus....*waves at gods* wavey

Symmetric Chaos
Then there's Mount Siani where God talked to Moses.

(lets see how many holy mountains we can list GO!)

Quiero Mota

Comments.

The mountains are closer to the heavens.

Storm
Conquering yourself and your own weaknesses, and encountering the divine on the mountaintop.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.