Comic book covers...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lucid Lui
Modern day covers vs. Golden/Silver Age covers... ?

Do you prefer the more straight forward, less-related-to-the-inside-story splash covers we mainly get these days, or the more Golden/Silver Age style over the top, extaggerating-the-inside-plot covers?

grey fox
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
Modern day covers vs. Golden/Silver Age covers... ?

Do you prefer the more straight forward, less-related-to-the-inside-story splash covers we mainly get these days, or the more Golden/Silver Age style over the top, extaggerating-the-inside-plot covers?

For Hilarity - Golden/Silver Age

For Bad-ass - Modern

willRules
I would like a mixture

I would like covers that are less-related-to-the-inside-story with over the top style, that extaggerates-the-inside-plot yes laughing

DigiMark007
I don't like 60% of the cover being dead space just for the title (i.e. every CW tie-in).

But modern for me.

Scoobless
Meh ... I like whatever looks good ... plus I don't spend a lot of time looking at the cover of the book.

Deathstroke
I think as long as the image on the cover invokes some kind of emotion or has some lasting impact on me it doesn't matter if it's gold/silver age or modern. There are great iconic covers from every era.

SnakeEyes
Modern all the way, for me.

WrathfulDwarf
Strangely...I maybe the only one to say that I'd prefer the Golden/Silver age covers. The reason is history and simplicity. It captures the images of the characters in great peril. You can see the expression of the good guy and grinning evilness of the bad guy. Many covers these days seem to focus on more extravagant images rather than acutally capture a summary of the story in the comic.

By Crom!
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fears path, and only I will remain."
-Paul Atreides

Surely the quote on your sig is the Bene Gesserit or Orange Catholic Bible and not Paul if I remember rightly.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by By Crom!
Surely the quote on your sig is the Bene Gesserit or Orange Catholic Bible and not Paul.

In the book yes..in the film it's Paul.

By Crom!
In the book yes..in the film it's Paul.

Oh, O.K. that's probably true, by the way if you haven't already don't bother with the prequels they are awful, Franks son should have left well alone.

WrathfulDwarf
I'm currently reading this book

Which is okay so far...

By Crom!
I'm currently reading this book

Which is okay so far...

I read to the end of the Butlerian Jihad that was enough for me. sad I agree about his boys books not having the same kick. The original is always going to be the best. I know you're a mod here, but I know an excellent set of forums dedicated to Sci Fi books, films, movies and TV shows. It's one you sometimes reference in your front banner page news if you're interested, I obviously won't paste it's url here. it's also a bigboard. It's got lower traffic and generally is a bit more mature, you might like it.

WrathfulDwarf
Interesting....pm me a link and might take a peep. smile

long pig
70's era comic covers all the way!

The art was better, the artist's egos were smaller. To me, those were the greatest covers ever.

Look at thor #250-350. Detective comics in the 70's. Fantastic Four in the 70's. SPIDERMAN in the 70's. Even some of the Superman comics. Brilliant, almost every single one of them.

80's-90's, well....they suck badly. Today's comics are more like actual hardcover book covers than comics, so....I don't like them.

long pig
Strangely...I maybe the only one to say that I'd prefer the Golden/Silver age covers. The reason is history and simplicity. It captures the images of the characters in great peril. You can see the expression of the good guy and grinning evilness of the bad guy. Many covers these days seem to focus on more extravagant images rather than acutally capture a summary of the story in the comic.
I must agree with you.

srankmissingnin
Modern hands down, alot of newer comics are worth buying based on the cover art alone. I would say Golden/Silver age are comic covers done by comic artists while Modern covers are done by artists, who happen to work in comics, much more artistc merit to be sure.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Deathstroke
I think as long as the image on the cover invokes some kind of emotion or has some lasting impact on me it doesn't matter if it's gold/silver age or modern. There are great iconic covers from every era.

So if I printed a comic, and it's cover had, say... a nearly drowned kitten on the front, you would buy it? ermm

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph

So if I printed a comic, and it's cover had, say... a nearly drowned kitten on the front, you would buy it? ermm

He isn't an idiot! He is going to wait for the Omnibus that has the full drowned kitten on it. mad

Martian_mind
A lady walks up to a man who keeps banging his head on the wall and asks"why do you keep doing that?" "because"the man said "it feels good when i stop"

That man was digi

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Martian_mind
A lady walks up to a man who keeps banging his head on the wall and asks"why do you keep doing that?" "because"the man said "it feels good when i stop"

That man was digi

Was there a nearly/fully drowned kitten involved at any point? ermm

long pig
Dude, kittens drown way too easily. It's like they're made of lead. Right to the bottem.

Now baby horses....they put on a show when they drown.

NiņoAraņa
well this thread has gone to hell ermm

SpunkySmurph

NiņoAraņa
Nino brings up a good point ...

Can baby horses go to hell? ermm

Also, I started using that smiley a lot, and now everybody is. I declare you all trendwhores. ermm actually, i blame the sig duel thread ermm the randomness there rubbed off.....

srankmissingnin
That smiley is only used by hookers and liberals.

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
That smiley is only used by hookers and liberals. i'm no liberal no expression

SpunkySmurph
That smiley is only used by hookers and liberals. But I've never seen YOU use it, Shrank. no expression

ermm

srankmissingnin
But I've never seen YOU use it, Shrank. no expression

ermm

Thats because I'm a conservative ex-hooker, of course! mad

NiņoAraņa
Thats because I'm a conservative ex-hooker, of course! mad something's wrong there ermm

srankmissingnin
You can read all about it in my self published biography.

NiņoAraņa
You can read all about it in my self published biography. i can't read Canadian 13

srankmissingnin
It's in Klingon.

SpunkySmurph
Shrank, we're spamming up another thread. ermm

...I blame Nino. For the other thread too.

srankmissingnin

...I blame Nino. For the other thread too.

Nino started it! mad

NiņoAraņa
It's in Klingon. i don't speak geek (irony!)

...I blame Nino. For the other thread too. i blame societyOriginally posted by srankmissingnin
Nino started it! mad bush did it

ermm

srankmissingnin
I don't speak or write in Klingon but I'll be damned if I let that stop me from writing my book in it!

SpunkySmurph

NiņoAraņa
I don't speak or write in Klingon but I'll be damned if I let that stop me from writing my book in it! ....

geek ermm

anyone actually going back on topic? no expression

i do like Modern covers more.....
.....cus i wasn't alive back then
What the f**k?
So...
What you're saying is...
You're know i'm secretly Bush?
yes ermm

SpunkySmurph

NiņoAraņa
Off topic IS the topic now... smile

Unless Lucid gets too pissed. ermm

That's a silly excuse. smile

Unlike me.

I like Modern covers 'cause I was dead when the other ones were made. smile

I can't be Bush. Bush is a klingon. Trust me. I saw him reading Shrank's diary. ermm i don't know how to seperate individual parts of the post, so i'll just call the post in general crazy ermm

i think we've used that smilie at least 50 times no expression

srankmissingnin
I can't be Bush. Bush is a klingon. Trust me. I saw him reading Shrank's diary. ermm

It's a journal ass hole!

... I mean, manuscript, and you where supposed to proofread it and then send it back to my publisher (aka me).

long pig
Art sucks. That's the problem with modern comics, they try to hard to be museum peices.
The only possible way to create real art is by not trying to create real art.

SpunkySmurph
It's a journal ass hole!

... I mean, manuscript, and you where supposed to proofread it and then send it back to my publisher (aka me).

Ok.

But, I should warn you, there were a lot of mistakes in your numerous hopeless love letters to Nino.

Other then that, it was fine.

roughrider
Modern covers. Cooler artwork, less cartoony exaggeration, no corny exposition, stronger on giving a central image as an idea of the story.

NiņoAraņa
Ok.

But, I should warn you, there were a lot of mistakes in your numerous hopeless love letters to Nino.

Other then that, it was fine. wait, what did i miss? ermm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.