POTC in everyday conversation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

willofthewisp
Do you use POTC in everyday conversation? Do you say quotes from it just to get attention? If you're like me and the numerous POTC fans out there, you definitely do! Just listen to this funny little story and then share your own experiences.

Me, my fiance, and his roommate are all having dinner together and somehow the conversation goes to books that have had historically been banned. Since I think in movie terms, I immediately mention Dante's Inferno, thinking of the movie "Se7en."

Meyer (the roommate): What's Dante's Inferno?
Fiance: You've never heard of that?
Me: It's about Dante and the poet Virgil takes him into hell and shows him every section, like people who do certain things get certain punishments. There are two follow-ups about purgatory and heaven.
Meyer: Circles of hell. That's cool.
Me: (being extra dorky and using one of my favorite Jack lines) The deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers.
Meyer: (loudly) Damn you, Jack Sparrrrrrooooowwwww!

I liked he understood the reference.
Has something similar happened to anyone else?

Chiki Mina
Yes and no lol

Half of my friends don't understand english sad

CaptainJacksLuv
same as chiki.....lol....i only had like one fellow obsessie....but here, its homewink

Chiki Mina
I have a few that understand english and speak it. I love teasing them with my pirate accent stick out tongue

PirateDiva
lol....my pirate accent always turns into and British accent...lmao!!

It's kind of scary because now when im actually talking to be ppl, every now and then my British accent slips out with my words....it's like almost becoming second nature....it's weird..lmao!!

IheartPocky
lol i talk pirate-y british-y (lol) alot. its fun smile

Chiki Mina
I like talking british everytime I see my orbit gum commercial big grin

T.Maria
lmao! big grin

The london accent in britain is amazing!! big grin

I however am what you call a 'scouser'...and the accent is far from anything you have probably heard before lmao big grin

When i do my jack impressions, i cant get the accent right over my liverpudlian one...so it sounds crap lol

T.Maria
if you go here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7VspOs3Qt0

and here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Msm8IT-rk

...you will hear my accent lol big grin

(the top one is from a comic show called 'Harry Enfield and chums'...which coincidenttally had a spin off show called 'the fast show'....if you know your johnny depp history, you will know that he made a guest appearance on the last episode lol smile)

(The second one is a footballer for Liverpool Football Club called STEVEN GERRARD...thats my home team and hes our captain and i love him very much lmao!! big grin)

...and as you will see, you couldn't get further from Jacks accent than a liverpool (or scouse, as we call it here lol) accent big grin

Chiki Mina
LMAO^^

You know, johnny pulls a great english-pirate accent big grin

PirateDiva
LOL....awwww T.Maria i wanna here u talk....i have a huge soft spot for Accents!!! LOL!!

I Love Accents....i cant have a conversation with someone who has a hot accent cause i'll be paying attention to the accent than the actual words!!! big grin

T.Maria
Originally posted by Chiki Mina
LMAO^^

You know, johnny pulls a great english-pirate accent big grin

hes does indeed lol! big grin

Man im so bummed sad

An american can do an better english accent that me!! sad lol

T.Maria
Originally posted by PirateDiva
LOL....awwww T.Maria i wanna here u talk....i have a huge soft spot for Accents!!! LOL!!

I Love Accents....i cant have a conversation with someone who has a hot accent cause i'll be paying attention to the accent than the actual words!!! big grin

im a fast talker lol!

(the scouse accent originated from the irish when they came to live in england in the early 1900's lol. thats why the accent is extremely weird lol smile)

I love accents too big grin
The irish accent gets me everytime embarrasment

The american accent is so cool too!! big grin

And i take my hat off to anyone who can do a london accent (such as johnny) when they're from a different country (or hell, a different town seems as though i find it so hard lmao! big grin)

PirateDiva
Honestly I Love Keira's Accent....and ORLANDO's and JACK D.......i seriously listen to them and just go from there there my teachers....especially Keira's just cause she is sooo Bubbly!!! LOL!

IheartPocky
Originally posted by T.Maria
im a fast talker lol!

(the scouse accent originated from the irish when they came to live in england in the early 1900's lol. thats why the accent is extremely weird lol smile)

I love accents too big grin
The irish accent gets me everytime embarrasment

The american accent is so cool too!! big grin

And i take my hat off to anyone who can do a london accent (such as johnny) when they're from a different country (or hell, a different town seems as though i find it so hard lmao! big grin)

lol I was gonna say, it sounds irish laughing

I love accents too love

Chiki Mina
PirateDiva, does that mean you have a soft spot for my accent embarrasment

lol wink

T.Maria
Originally posted by IheartPocky
lol I was gonna say, it sounds irish laughing

I love accents too love

Theres something sexy in a man with an irish accent...the accent is a proper 'jack the lad' thing...mischieviously sexy...a lad with an irish accent could get away with murder and be able to smooth his way out of it lol big grin

I like the french accent too....its swave and sexy hehe big grin

PirateDiva
PirateDiva, does that mean you have a soft spot for my accent --Chiki Mina

LOL....If u had one! U speak english very well...and u could only hear the accent in a couple words u use....NOW if i heard u speak in SPANISH i'd probaly be in Love with ur Rican accent....i love it!!!!! big grin

Chiki Mina
stick out tongue

I try to talk fast in eng like I do in span and I really mess up. Sometimes I mix the words in eng with span vice versa.

PirateDiva
SPANGLISH eek!

Chiki Mina
UHG! It sucks!!! I annoy myself. Im like "Melina! Either speak all in span or all in eng!!"

So I usually don't talk no expression lol

willofthewisp
So for all of you from England, is Johnny Depp's accent pretty good? Is it convincing? I would like to think that I could fake a British accent as I'm sure several British people could fake an American one, but I was wondering about Johnny.

T.Maria
Originally posted by willofthewisp
So for all of you from England, is Johnny Depp's accent pretty good? Is it convincing? I would like to think that I could fake a British accent as I'm sure several British people could fake an American one, but I was wondering about Johnny.

johnny's accent is spot on, you would never guess he was american!! big grin

Its a real gritty accent, too smile

I dont mean to offend anyone, but i HATE it when some american actors try to pull off an english accent and make it all posh and stuff..

around 15% of the overall population speak like the queen and thats it lol! big grin

So its nice to see a great actor doing a great accent for a change big grin

willofthewisp
Sometimes I noticed in interviews while filming, he still is talking in his Jack voice, like he's keeping the accent up so he won't lose it. That's dedication right there.

T.Maria
Sometimes I noticed in interviews while filming, he still is talking in his Jack voice, like he's keeping the accent up so he won't lose it. That's dedication right there.

certainly is!! big grin

i just find it amazing how he can take the accent off so well...

But then again, which accent is harder to pull off??

American or British???? smile

katelovespirate
you know, that was one of the thing my british friends always liked the most about POTC--- they did all the accents right--- historically speaking, the mix of accents, depending on where each pirate or soldier would have been from, was perfect. which i fully agree with.

Keira's accent is my favorite, but I am CONTINUALLY amazed by Johnny's accent, as fast and as much as he talks, that he never slips, he puts it on like a costume, its pretty amazing.

That's also one of my rules in life: marry someone with a great accent. wink

as far as the original topic, dude that happens to me quite often, but mostly because I am constantly bringing it up myself. i was on the phone with someone important at one point and accidentally quoted a line and then felt like i better cut back before quoting pirates gets me in trouble.

Chiki Mina
I think Johnny Depp makes a good Latino. Like in Don Juan DeMarco, he looks amazing as a latino. And his accent is really good.

lovethemtigers
you know what...johnny did a great early american accent as Ichabod Crane in Sleepy Hollow.....and a great British accent in POTC and DMC...and as a Latino in Dan Juan DeMarco....and you know what...Johnny's just great...he is great at everything he does....how about as the Libertine...and that weird Willy Wonka accent.....

what a fabulous and gorgeous actor....

lovethemtigers
and when you watch Johnny as himself...he has such an articulate speaking voice..it's hard to imagine that he was born and raised in Kentucky...he is so well spoken..and such a soft sexy voice..oooh la la...he just makes me want to melt....man, Vanessa is the luckiest woman on earth, is she not?

PirateDiva
Or the Irish accent he had going on in Finding Neverland or Cholcolate!!!

Johnny is just amazing!!! I LOVE HIM!!!

PirateDiva
Originally posted by lovethemtigers
and when you watch Johnny as himself...he has such an articulate speaking voice..it's hard to imagine that he was born and raised in Kentucky...he is so well spoken..and such a soft sexy voice..oooh la la...he just makes me want to melt....man, Vanessa is the luckiest woman on earth, is she not?

I agree She is!!!! LUCKY HER!!!

And i agree that Johnny does sort of still talk in his Jack voice while doing interviews....I love how he can pull of the accent, slurr it, speack fast with intricate words all while acting!!!

AMAZING!!! I Just Love the GUY....sooooo HOTT!

lovethemtigers
OMG...the man is simply hot in Chocolat....i was at Kroger a few weeks ago and this beautiful little hard-backed book called "Hollywood's Greatest Couples"....and guess who was featured in the book of all-time most romantic on-screen loves....Johnny and his co-star in "Chocolat"...it was one of the only most current couples...the others were like Scarlett and Rhett from Gone With The Wind....Sandy and Danny from Grease....Hans and Lia from Star Wars...and many other old black and white couples from the 40's and 50's...

PirateDiva
I know he is gorgeous in that movie.....the moment i cant get over...is when He dances with her on the boat....and she is being all dorky and he is just being amazingly hot!!!!

SUPER SEXY WHEN HE IS DANCING!!!!! *grabs magazine and starts fanning herself*

willofthewisp
Hey! Not everyone from Kentucky is a hick. They actually have universities and libraries there, believe it or not.

Surreal_44
When I was working in a doctor's office and I'd be on the phone with tech support, the tech guy and I would talk about pirates and plots and stuff while we waited for stuff to start working on the computer. big grin

IheartPocky
Originally posted by Surreal_44
When I was working in a doctor's office and I'd be on the phone with tech support, the tech guy and I would talk about pirates and plots and stuff while we waited for stuff to start working on the computer. big grin

lol thats cool

CaptainJacksLuv
isnt everything about pirates, just the awesomeness of our liveswink

tia dalma
hey guys, i was born in london and grew up there, but i've moved to ireland now. i love the irish accent. If any you guys seen finding neverland johnnys accent is awesome in it.

lovethemtigers
Hey! Not everyone from Kentucky is a hick. They actually have universities and libraries there, believe it or not.

I know I didn't mean it that way...I just meant Johnny is so articulate it's hard to believe he is even from the USA period...

lovethemtigers
Oh I love Johnny in Finding Neverland..but the story is too sad for me to watch more than once...I've only seen it once....

PirateDiva
I've seen it like 10 times and seriously i still CRY everytime....it never fails to get me....NEVER!!!

And yes I love that movie!!!

Hambah
I love Finding Neverland. He does a really great accent in it.
I also love the little boy who plays Peter. IMO he's an amazing actor for a kid his age.

CaptainJacksLuv
i love with the bloopers when they laugh(the spoon scene, as i like to call it), how they put that sound in.

T.Maria
how about when hes walking along with the dog and it decides to go for a poopsie?? big grin

love the way he reacted to it!!! big grinbig grinbig grin

PirateDiva
LMAO!!!!!! I Love It!!!! LOL!

Chiki Mina
omg people....don't talk about kentucky...I used to live there...

the only good thing is that I talked to Johnny's neice, I found out when I moved...

willofthewisp
"I know I didn't mean it that way...I just meant Johnny is so articulate it's hard to believe he is even from the USA period..."----lovethemtigers

I'm sorry, but I have to be nit-picky here. Are you not from the USA? If you're not and you've run into some unsavory Americans, I apologize for that, but there are many reserved, well-spoken, well-read, and well-bred Americans, too, and I just hate the stereotype that Americans are stupid and superficial when quite a few of us, myself included, take great enjoyment in literature and art and music and....POTC.

lovethemtigers
"I know I didn't mean it that way...I just meant Johnny is so articulate it's hard to believe he is even from the USA period..."----lovethemtigers

I'm sorry, but I have to be nit-picky here. Are you not from the USA? If you're not and you've run into some unsavory Americans, I apologize for that, but there are many reserved, well-spoken, well-read, and well-bred Americans, too, and I just hate the stereotype that Americans are stupid and superficial when quite a few of us, myself included, take great enjoyment in literature and art and music and....POTC.

sorry...I am from the USA....what I mean is he doesn't have an american accent....I'm from Louisiana...and a full blooded cajun...so I just mean his voice is very articulate...sorry embarrasment

Chiki Mina
I'm not american confused

I don't know where this conversation is going, really lol.

willofthewisp
Sorry. That's defensive little willofthewisp trying to start trouble......lol. Anyone else mention POTC in everyday conversation?

lovethemtigers
okaY....on with Potc in everyday conversation....I often say...."is it not" or "am I not."....."do we have an accord"....

PirateDiva
"Thats Very Interesting" and "Oh Bugger" are the usual ones for me...amoung others!!!

Chiki Mina
uh....I usually say "no matter wot" lol. well orbit gum chick she plays giselle!! so I guess it counts as a potc thing..

PirateDiva
lol

Chiki Mina
lol I talk all spanish at my home sad

Some of my friends don't understand english...it sucks sad

a-k-a-amber
Oh wow! really chiki? I dont know much spanish at all

T.Maria
lmao, i love it when americans say 'oh buggger' big grin!!

Its sounds really different to the way im used to hearing it! big grin

Ive gotta ask though...when you do say 'oh bugger'...do u say it in an american accent or an english accent?? smile

Its the same with bollocks...it just sounds really weird when an american swears ...but thats because im from england and im used to hearing swear words over here all the time, and i obviously dont hear American people swearing lol smile

No offence meant or anything smile

Chiki Mina
Originally posted by a-k-a-amber
Oh wow! really chiki? I dont know much spanish at all

I was born and raised in puerto rico--spanish is my first language lol. I just learned english from watching alot of movies in eng.

Chiki Mina

Ive gotta ask though...when you do say 'oh bugger'...do u say it in an american accent or an english accent?? smile

Its the same with bollocks...it just sounds really weird when an american swears ...but thats because im from england and im used to hearing swear words over here all the time, and i obviously dont hear American people swearing lol smile

OMG lol you should hear a Puerto Rican say it stick out tongue

T.Maria
OMG lol you should hear a Puerto Rican say it stick out tongue

lmao!! big grin

Ill bet it is something to behold, eh?? big grin hehehe!!

i find it all really interesting to be honest, because different accents can make a word sound so different!!

Take 'Macaronni' ...if an Italian said macaronni it sounds so sexy...

when i say macaronni it sounds ridiculous lol smile

chiki,
i had no idea you learned english from movies and magazines!!!
Thats so cool!!! big grin

I learned french for 5 years in school and to this day i still cant string a word together sad...

me and france was never meant to be, im afraid lol smile

Chiki Mina
lmao!! big grin

Ill bet it is something to behold, eh?? big grin hehehe!!

i find it all really interesting to be honest, because different accents can make a word sound so different!!

Take 'Macaronni' ...if an Italian said macaronni it sounds so sexy...

when i say macaronni it sounds ridiculous lol smile

chiki,
i had no idea you learned english from movies and magazines!!!
Thats so cool!!! big grin

I learned french for 5 years in school and to this day i still cant string a word together sad...

me and france was never meant to be, im afraid lol smile

LOL. Awwe smile

I always thought english was so important. Some my friends thinks its dumb, and yet they get frustrated when they see a store like First National Back or when they see a gum wraper that says sugar free or minty fresh. They get frustrated! eek!

T.Maria
LOL. Awwe smile

I always thought english was so important. Some my friends thinks its dumb, and yet they get frustrated when they see a store like First National Back or when they see a gum wraper that says sugar free or minty fresh. They get frustrated! eek!

i get frustrated when i see other languages...its not that im ignorant of other languages, because at the end of the day all languages are important...

its just that im the sort of person that can sometimes not even manage to understand my own language, never mind someone elses lol smile

Chiki Mina
^^LOL

I understand a little bit of Italian since it's almost similar to span.

PirateDiva

lol....i try to say it with and english accent...i say it so it's pronounced:
bug-gah.... not.... bug-ger....make sense?

PirateDiva
^^LOL

I understand a little bit of Italian since it's almost similar to span.

ya me too and my best friends dad is Italian so he spoke to us in Italian sometimes growing up...lol!

Claudia_Black
I can't quote POTC , my original language is spanish (mexico) , just a few friends know that I'm a potc freak lol, and if I translate the quotes ...err...sound weird xD.
I learned english watching movies, tv shows and listening music in english because I wanted to know/understand what I was watching/listening.
sorry if my english suckz

Chiki Mina
Welcome aboard, Claudia! big grin

Your english is great!

PirateDiva
Ya ur english is fine and very Understandble! big grin

Welcome Aboard Love!!!

Which way do u ship? LOL!

Claudia_Black
LOL...err...my way! I'm such a rebel

Chiki Mina
yay sam!! He is such a yummy big grin

PirateDiva
LOL....No seriously!!! U dont have a specific coupling u Like in POTC?

Love ur Siggy by the Way!!!

Chiki Mina
I'm a sparrabeth--most of us are for reasons smile

PirateDiva
Because They SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOVE EACH OTHER!!!!! They are the BEST!!! big grin big grin big grin

Claudia_Black
I'm not sure , When I first watched COTBP I was like "Hey, Jack feels something for Liz" but she is with Will , and I think they are a cute couple, so it's okay if the end up together...but i'm not sure, persuade me! LOL

Chiki Mina
I'll let Jack do the persuasion lol right after I'm done with him stick out tongue

Claudia_Black
Jack Sparrow can do the "persuasion thing" to me ANYTIME

lovethemtigers
then if Jack can persuade you anytime..you have to be a Sparrabeth shipper....

How about this for persuasion

Claudia_Black
Damn! I I wish I was her xD he's so cool
this forum is awesome!

willofthewisp
Welcome, Claudia!

Chiki Mina
or this big grin

Claudia_Black
Hi willofthewisp
LOL, you guys really want me in your ship big grin xD

lovethemtigers
Of course we always welcome new people onto our ship.....Jack and elizabeth forever......Welcome aboard, Claudia, come to join our crew?

We are deeply flattered.....

lovethemtigers
oh ...and for more persuasion...one more look at how great Jack and Liz look together...

PirateDiva
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! OMG OMG!

lovethemtigers
it makes you just want to slowly take that coat off of him.....and slip your hands under that dirty white shirt......omg...I'm in love with Jack Sparrow...tbis is pure madness....

PirateDiva
I Love Him Too!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Claudia_Black
Originally posted by lovethemtigers
it makes you just want to slowly take that coat off of him.....and slip your hands under that dirty white shirt......omg...I'm in love with Jack Sparrow...tbis is pure madness....
WOw, that's soooooo true, he's hot! even if he is a drunk dirty pirate (a really hot drunk dirty pirate ) LOL

lovethemtigers
yeah..but he's not really drunk...it's all an act.....yeah, so what he's dirty....that's just triffles....

lovethemtigers
If he were really drunk..he'd never be able to come up with all of his really clever ideas...and I can't remember if it was on one or two..but the writers in their commentary even say that Jack's actions...are just that..acts...he does it to keep his enemies and his friends off guard..he's very smart, clever and he just wants others to think he's not so he can catch them off-guard....it's all an act, even the being drunk part - although he really does have too much to drink on the island cuz he thinks he's gonna get lucky with Lizzie...LOL

JaehSkywalker
first post and title: we talk about POTC at school on almost daily basis. quotes, hmm.. occasionally...

Chiki Mina
Jack is always drunk wink

lol But he sure knows what he's doing for a drunk person big grin

dichH2Odrinkrum
I belive Jack drinks so much becasue one it eases the pain and your thoughts you really don't have control of what you are doing most of the time and if he thinks about lizzie and she vexed him then he might be drinking for her, adding to the pain for being mutinated upon and he became an alcoholic on the island thanks to the rumrunners and drinking non-stop for three days. He drinks so much that he is probably smarter drunk then sober. Though it might be interesting to see him sober for a day. ok nuff rambling

JaehSkywalker
lol. reverse... effect... of alcohol! first case i've seen!

tia dalma
hey Claudia where did ya get your pic from its awesome i love it

ivebeendepped43
yeah, sexi

willofthewisp
I thought I'd share this on this thread...has anyone seen Gwen Stefani's Sweet Escape video? If you haven't, you should because there is a scene in it where she's in jail and she's begging a dog for the keys. I'm sure it's not a direct POTC reference, but it's the only movie I can think of where the dog is holding the keys.

IheartPocky
I thought I'd share this on this thread...has anyone seen Gwen Stefani's Sweet Escape video? If you haven't, you should because there is a scene in it where she's in jail and she's begging a dog for the keys. I'm sure it's not a direct POTC reference, but it's the only movie I can think of where the dog is holding the keys.

haha i thought the same thing when i saw that.

PirateDiva
POTC is everywhere...lol...w0o0o0o0o0o0o0o!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.