Nominated for Best Visual Effects

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Well, I know some of you follow the Oscars (I rarely do) but you'll be glad to know that Superman Returns is nominated by the A.M.P.A.S. for best visuals. Do you think it deserves to win?

Slowhand
Absolutely it deserves the nomination. Not for a second did anything look other than real during the film. Does it deserve to win? I dunno. What other films are being considered or should be considered?

Galvaclaw
That's great. It really diserves the award. Hopefully it will shut everyone up who thinks smallville has better effects. Matrix style air warping does not equal good special effects.

Magee
Anyone who thinks Smallville has better effects is just plain wrong lol. Thinking back on SR I remember just how amazing the gfx where, yes I think it deserves to win an oscar for such beauty.

Darkchoco
Yeah Smallville has great graphics but they cant beat movie graphics, Movies get a lot more money to make great graphics. Congratz to SR they deserve it.

Redatom65
anyone who wantes Tom Welling to play Superman in a movie is just plain wrong...that's right....I went there

Magee
Don't think he could be any worse than Brandon to be honest.

Redatom65
more trolling of a movie. Brandon Routh is the 4rd best donner of the cape Behind George Reeves in first and Christpher Reeve )no relation) in second. Now then enough of the belittling of a ovie that has no bashing coming towards it.

MattDay
they could of done a lot worse than either of them, welling or routh... Nicholas cage anyone? plus he's actually tall enough, like reeve, george reeves is an odd one because of the time gap from his performance to the newer ones, he seems to robotic in his acting but this is going back a while, but he did say one thing that is the epitome of superman, "no one, but no one can do what superman can do, and do it better" gotta love it!

Magee
Originally posted by Redatom65
more trolling of a movie. Brandon Routh is the 4rd best donner of the cape Behind George Reeves in first and Christpher Reeve )no relation) in second. Now then enough of the belittling of a ovie that has no bashing coming towards it. Oh I am truly sorry my opinion is different from yours, please forgive me sir.

pr1983
what has it to compete with?

but yeah, the vfx were pretty good... i just wish they'd been used better... we already know a bullet bounces off him, so why spend a gazillion dollars to hammer the point home...

Redatom65
sir....hey I can get use to this...

Reason why I liked george reeves the best persoanlly is as Clark and as Superman he had a charm about him that has been missing in every other superman to date. I mean Christopher reeve had charm as superman but not as clark. I digress...

pr1983
i actually disagree... reeve was a good superman, but he was an awesome clark imo... and the way he was able to turn it on and off, to me, was amazing...

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Slowhand
Absolutely it deserves the nomination. Not for a second did anything look other than real during the film. Does it deserve to win? I dunno. What other films are being considered or should be considered?

Agreed about the nomination.

It's up against Pirates 2.

Which should win just for the amazing character of Davy Jones, completely blended CG over a human face, that showed sea creature skin with light reflected though it, wet, alive and moving in the sunlight.

ILM is teh pWnzORrz.

Slowhand
Originally posted by pr1983
i actually disagree... reeve was a good superman, but he was an awesome clark imo... and the way he was able to turn it on and off, to me, was amazing...

At least you back it up with some formative thought and don't just spout opinion like it's considered fact.

I agree with you. Christopher Reeve was the best Clark Kent, hands down. George Reeves can't really be argued as the best anything, can he. The show was made during a time when all men, even aliens from Krypton, were full of grandeur and condescending to women and young people. Not an accurate portrayal of Supes.

Tom Welling does well enough in Smallville but I only say that because I know that will probably never a big screen adaptation of the show. His eyes are bright blue, his jaw is square, but he will never look mature enough to BE Superman. I know he's older than Routh but that doesn't change the fact that Routh is...

IMO, the best ever at playing Superman. Reeve was a much better Clark, but Routh is the first actor to play Superman who actually looks the part. His physical resemblance is uncanny, his voice is deep and commanding. And, let's be honest, if any of us were Superman, how much time would we spend being Clark?

None.

FistOfThe North
"Pirates 2"'s gonna take it. Watch.

pr1983
At least you back it up with some formative thought and don't just spout opinion like it's considered fact.

thank you... big grin

All of the above, i agree wholeheartedly...

Below...

sorry, i just don't agree... i don't think routh was as good as you say he is... his looks were ok, but they were, in my opinion, too geared toward emulating reeve... his voice wasnt terrible, and granted, it was deeper than reeve's, but reeve came accross the way, imo, superman should... with this incredible sense of compassion when saving people, and a more commanding when dealing with luthor (though not as deep as routh's), but routh's, to me, had too much of the same tone to it... erm

and he's clark for three things...

he does a job he likes, and gets paid...

and he gets to be with lois without worrying about anyone finding out... stick out tongue

on the topic of pirates... imo it wasnt a great movie, but for depp and the effects...

they were some pretty good effects, but i'd give it to superman, because i'll bet alot of people have been waiting to see what modern technology can do with superman... and it was so very, very good...

Newjak
I agree with most of what is said.

POC2 had great effects but in honest one character and the Kraken don't make it a sure winner. The rest of the guys of the crew were pretty bland in terms of effects.

As for Superman awesome Special Efects all around. from the plane crash to the heat vision to the flying it was all done masterfully.

Slowhand
Originally posted by pr1983

sorry, i just don't agree... i don't think routh was as good as you say he is... his looks were ok, but they were, in my opinion, too geared toward emulating reeve... his voice wasnt terrible, and granted, it was deeper than reeve's, but reeve came accross the way, imo, superman should... with this incredible sense of compassion when saving people, and a more commanding when dealing with luthor (though not as deep as routh's), but routh's, to me, had too much of the same tone to it... erm

and he's clark for three things...

he does a job he likes, and gets paid...

and he gets to be with lois without worrying about anyone finding out... stick out tongue

I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree. If I argued my point more, I may sound like I saying Routh is better at playing Reeve than Reeve was. But, you get my drift. I agree that he was chose to emulate Reeve. It's just happy chance that I find Routh more "Super".

As for Pirates... what can be said. I loved the first move and was completely unaffected by part two. If part three is going to be anything like it, I don't care if I ever see it.

My vote is for Superman Returns to win the Oscar. But, my vote means diddly squat...

pr1983
I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree. If I argued my point more, I may sound like I saying Routh is better at playing Reeve than Reeve was. But, you get my drift. I agree that he was chose to emulate Reeve. It's just happy chance that I find Routh more "Super".

As for Pirates... what can be said. I loved the first move and was completely unaffected by part two. If part three is going to be anything like it, I don't care if I ever see it.

My vote is for Superman Returns to win the Oscar. But, my vote means diddly squat...

lol, as does mine... and i agree to agree to disagree... i think...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.