My band director is being a jerk.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Naz
I love Smitty (the band director), but he's being really dictatorish.

So, I'm sitting eating lunch today, and Smitty comes up to me and asks why I wasn't at jazz band Wednesday morning.
"I'm not in jazz band," I tell him.
"Why not?"
"I don't like waking up that early." (Really it's cause I did jazz band last year and didn't like it)
"That's not a good reason."
"Oh."
"It'll really improve your playing, and it's only twice a week."
"Oh."
"I expect you to be there on Friday."
"...okay."

Other things he forced me into:
All-state
Pep band
And he just signed me up for Solo&Ensemble contest without telling me

DarkC
Blow him off.

InnerRise
*Poofs In and takes a deep breath*

Well you should learn how to say NO and not OH.

You let him push you.

Maybe he believes in you or some stupid crap like that.

Also, when he said that wasn't a good enough reason, I don't know.........how about you tell him the REAL REASON. Ugh.

closedeyes

*Poofs Out*

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

dr. pookie
Naz, soon he will be trying to force you into sexual activities, be ready

Naz
Originally posted by InnerRise

You let him push you.

Also, when he said that wasn't a good enough reason, I don't know.........how about you tell him the REAL REASON. Ugh.

closedeyes

*Poofs Out*

But see, I'm only doing what he asks to get on his good side so he'll give me some solos or something.
And I copywrited the concept of poofing in and out of threads. I'm sueing you for 26.9 million dollars.

=Tired Hiker=
Set him on fire with gasoline and a match!

InnerRise
Originally posted by Naz
But see, I'm only doing what he asks to get on his good side so he'll give me some solos or something.
And I copywrited the concept of poofing in and out of threads. I'm sueing you for 26.9 million dollars. I was in band. And I got solos.

So I know for a fact that solos are usually given to the upper chairs. If you're not an upper chair in whatever instrument that you play then forget about it.

Mišt
Originally posted by DarkC
Blow him off.

How will that help nahuh

Leo.M
Just tell him you don't want to do it. That its too much pressure.

Röland

You let him push you.

closedeyes

*Poofs Out*

Maybe she doesn't want to tell him "No" because she is in band and it's not good to get on the bad side of your band director.

dr. pookie
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Set him on fire with gasoline and a match!

laughing out loud

Naz
I was in band. And I got solos.

So I know for a fact that solos are usually given to the upper chairs. If you're not an upper chair in whatever instrument that you play then forget about it.

My director plays favorites. Currently the second chair trumpet gets all the solos instead of the first chair, because Smitty happens to like the 2nd better. I'm third.

InnerRise

Eclipso
Originally posted by Naz
My director plays favorites. Currently the second chair trumpet gets all the solos instead of the first chair, because Smitty happens to like the 2nd better. I'm third.

You actually know someone named "Smitty"?

My band leader is the same way he's an egotistical prick. If you get involved in something outside of school like a musical or something he treats you like dirt.

InnerRise
I had a band Director and he left and went to another school and taught their band class and started talking bad about us to them.

Being that we had 2 directors at all times when he left we still had our original one and he just laughed at it when some of the band students told him what the other one was saying.

I believe the other one may have been fired.

I had another band teacher fired for lifting up a chair and hitting a student with it.

Röland
Telling the honest truth that you don't like something such as Jazz band shouldn't cause one to get on someone's bad side. She is in Band after all so she does like band.

It's not as if she would be telling him that doesn't even like her instrument.

I actually was both in Symphonic Band 1st and 2nd chair at different times and 1st chair in Jazz Band...until one year I just didn't want to do Jazz Band anymore and no conflicts came of it.

It all depends on the person.

For instance when I played Football our Coach put us in the position he thought we should play and if we objected he would ride that person all season.

Naz
Originally posted by Eclipso
You actually know someone named "Smitty"?

My band leader is the same way he's an egotistical prick. If you get involved in something outside of school like a musical or something he treats you like dirt.

Yeah, he's Mr. Smith, but everyone calls him Smitty.

It's the same with him. He's all mad at one of my fellow trumpets because he won't be doing marhcing band next year because it conflicts with varisty soccer.

dr. pookie
its a known fact that most band directors tend to be a bit egotistical, that being said, it is up to the guy or girl to let the director know that he or she isnt going to be intimidated.

Eclipso
Originally posted by Naz
Yeah, he's Mr. Smith, but everyone calls him Smitty.

It's the same with him. He's all mad at one of my fellow trumpets because he won't be doing marhcing band next year because it conflicts with varisty soccer.

What I hate about my band leader is how much of an ego he has. We've won like 95% of the competitions in my city and he takes all the credit for it. Seriously, they did a news report on us and he made it sound like without him we would have no talent at all.

InnerRise
Being that he's the teacher teaching you all how to do what you do, I'm sure that's correct. ermm

Naz
Originally posted by Eclipso
What I hate about my band leader is how much of an ego he has. We've won like 95% of the competitions in my city and he takes all the credit for it. Seriously, they did a news report on us and he made it sound like without him we would have no talent at all.

stick out tongue Smitty would probably do that, but our band is really really bad.

dr. pookie
Mist, i agree blowing him off will only encourage him

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.