What does a good orgin consist of?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Prophecy
Ok, what does a good interesting origin consist of?

Grimm22
What kind of origin? Do you mean by origin of power or origin of character?

The Prophecy
both

Alfheim
Usually angst.

manjaro
ppl born with great power and conflicted how to use them....the whole falling into a vat of radioactive chemicals thing, or some science accident is lame to me

King_Mungi
Lots of clevage...maybe some radiation...but mostly female clevage

boriquaking55
Originally posted by manjaro
ppl born with great power and conflicted how to use them....the whole falling into a vat of radioactive chemicals thing, or some science accident is lame to me

to be honest, the whole "born with superpowers" thing is just as much a cop-out and as cliche nowadays as either of the above.

Dinalfos
A good origin is simpy a compelling story that makes you care for the character on a basic level. It helps whatever future plot device is being used to progress and expand upon the characters's further history, to connect with the reader on an emotional level. Also, a good origin story, imo, is never completely finished. Some room for a little mystery is essential.

Alfheim
Originally posted by Dinalfos
A good origin is simpy a compelling story that makes you care for the character on a basic level. It helps whatever future plot device is being used to progress and expand upon the characters's further history, to connect with the reader on an emotional level. Also, a good origin story, imo, is never completely finished. Some room for a little mystery is essential.

angst?

littleredhat
Explaination of motivation.

A good orgin uses past events to explain why character does this or that and the way him,her or it behaves from that point it also explains why the character has thier abilities or skills.

It should all be fairly simple to understand also. An over complicated orgin makes a character difficult to relate to.

Alfheim
Originally posted by littleredhat
Explaination of motivation.

A good orgin uses past events to explain why character does this or that and the way him,her or it behaves from that point it also explains why the character has thier abilities or skills.

It should all be fairly simple to understand also. An over complicated orgin makes a character difficult to relate to.

So we all agree...angst? stick out tongue

Beta Ray Howard
Tragedy.

The Prophecy

Beta Ray Howard
I'm not kidding. Think about every origin, and there is usually tragedy involved.

Rick/Genis
Angst makes an Emo, not an origin.

The Prophecy
lol

TricksterPriest
Maniacal laughter, rage, insanity, senseless destruction, badass monologues. And all the stuff you guys said. Just wanted to add my own stuff for villains.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by King_Mungi
Lots of clevage...maybe some radiation...but mostly female clevage

yes

xmarksthespot
I have to agree with Mungi and SC.

His Airness
I dunno, a good writer?

Endless Mike
All the good origins have been done already. Just pick one but change it enough so that they can't sue you.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by The Prophecy
Ok, what does a good interesting origin consist of?

Ninjas

StarsNeverFall7
Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease...

willRules
Curtains.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.