Characters with Tragic Childhood Beginings.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Aside from the usual characters like Batman, Robin, Catwoman, Scarecrow...

...could you name others?

I'll start...Killer Crock. His mother died when he was born and his father drop him off in an orphanage.

jgiant
Punisher had his childhood friend commit suicide cuz one of the mafia boss's son got her pregnant when he was 10. He then saw her marine brother set him on fire in a cemetary.

lorddreamer
hush. Well, I dunno if his case is tragic, being that he caused it ... but there are tragic elements (basing that off of real tragedy, like in litterature)

wuTa
Are we just talking DC characters or anyone?

Aresnal's dad died in a fire when he was like 3, than he ended up on smack when he was like 15.

Gambit was abandened by his mother at birth, and had to live on the streets most of his childhoold.

NoFate007
Baby Doll....she's still in it! Ha.

Sam Z
Um... Spider-man.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by wuTa
Are we just talking DC characters or anyone?

Aresnal's dad died in a fire when he was like 3, than he ended up on smack when he was like 15.

Gambit was abandened by his mother at birth, and had to live on the streets most of his childhoold.

Let's see....yes...characters from the Batman franchise.

SilverSloth
Zsasz's aprent both died in a baoting accident, and he lost all his money to the Penguin.

Quinlan-Vos
Dick Grayson's parents were murdered by Zucco... Jason Todd's dad was murdered and his stepmother (who he believed was his mum) ended up dying of something or other...

Mr Parker
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Let's see....yes...characters from the Batman franchise.

good to see THAT cleared up.This IS the Batman section. laughing

cmack
superman whole race was destroyed, that is tragic

Bat Dude
Tim Drake's mom was murdered... His dad was murdered... And his stepmom was admitted into an insane asylum...

Devil King
There was a great story in one of the Batman anthologies about the Joker. It started off explaining how his father was abusive and how the other kids picked on him because his father was in and out of the looney bin.

By the end of the story, we've seen "Junior" (as he was called in the story) has a crazy, abusive father; a mother that dotes on him; an obsession with mutilating dead animals and playing with their bones AND he's committed his first murder. (a neighborhood kid who idolizes "Junior" and ends up finding his "secret hiding place", where Junior keeps his dead animals.)

I wouldn't call it a tragic childhood, as far as loss goes, but it's pretty tragic in that it shows us the Joker had no real choice in what he would eventually become.

I don't think this story (or any other in the book) are considered canon, but does anything really count as canon in an on-going story that's being told over 70 years?

WrathfulDwarf
Certainly! The DCU is compose of mutiple Universes. All stories that take place in an Elseworld would be consider a separate (sp?) unique universe from what we consider cannon (i.e. Earth One or New Earth) It is consider as a different reality. Canon isn't as important as before. Certain comic book fans (such as myself) are more interested on the posibilities that happen in other universes with the characters we love.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by cmack
superman whole race was destroyed, that is tragic

true.good point.

Devil King
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Certainly! The DCU is compose of mutiple Universes. All stories that take place in an Elseworld would be consider a separate (sp?) unique universe from what we consider cannon (i.e. Earth One or New Earth) It is consider as a different reality. Canon isn't as important as before. Certain comic book fans (such as myself) are more interested on the posibilities that happen in other universes with the characters we love.

Ah, well, I was really just addressing the Batman Universe. I know it's a part of the DC universe, but I've never read any other DC titles.

Passione
The HUNTRESS

Helena Rosa Bertinelli, she was kidnapped and raped at 6 years old. Then sent to a boarding school in europe. When Helena was at a family wedding when her entire family was massacred by another Mafia family.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.