EQ2 doesn't start

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jack of Light
After I've logged on and hit "Play", the screen goes black (and the cursor changes to the game cursor) like it's supposed to, but then goes back to my desktop and ends. I've tried turning off my virus scanner and disabling all other active programs through msconfig, but the problem persists. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Barker
What is an EQ2? srug

Jack of Light
An EQ2 is t3h n3rd game of the west. (It's EverQuest 2)

Barker
Did you pay the bill? haermm

Jack of Light
sad.... Yes raver

Jack of Light
Wait, how do you find your system specs?

Bloigen
Originally posted by Jack of Light
Wait, how do you find your system specs?

If on Windows, start menu, select run, type "dxdiag" in.

Barker
Originally posted by Bloigen
If on Windows, start menu, select run, type "dxdiag" in.
I actually checked on Wiki to see how that would ruin his computer. sad

DarkC
Sounds like a video card catastrophe.

Jack of Light
Originally posted by DarkC
Sounds like a video card catastrophe.

'Twas what I was thinking. Currently, I'm trying to use this program to find out if my computer's even compatible for EQ2. If not, I'll need new stuff.

DarkC
Why didn't you look under the box when you bought it to see the sys. requirements?

Jack of Light
I got a digital download. no expression

I did check the site, however, and I do meet the video card requirements. I think.

Also, I have a problem with Internet Explorer 7 (Don't worry, I'm only using it because I have to). I tried installing it, and when it was done installing it told me I needed to restart the computer for it to finish. I did so, but when it was done booting up there was no Explorer... Anyone know what to do?

LinixCobra
Originally posted by Barker

step away from the computer now

Bloigen

herbnone

Syren
Sounds like something to do with memory, to me. I'm not a computer whizz but if something's not running properly, or closing itself down, it's likely because there isn't enough memory to run it.

Or, it could easily be something else embarrasment

Jack of Light
I have 510 MB left erm

Does anybody have a link to Internet Explorer 6? (7 doesn't install properly)

Barker
Originally posted by Bloigen
herbnone
* no expression

Bloigen
Originally posted by Jack of Light
I have 510 MB left erm

Does anybody have a link to Internet Explorer 6? (7 doesn't install properly)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&DisplayLang=en

* no expression

herbjedi

Jack of Light
I think I could use a new video card though... Any suggestions?

LinixCobra
You need a video card capable of running it. So what video card do you have and what is the recommended video card for this game?

Jack of Light
My current one is not capable of running it, but I should be able to do it as long as I have DirectX (which I do). That worked when I used to play SWG, but I'm still having the problem I have in the first post.

I found the list of video cards... Which would probably be best?

http://help.station.sony.com/cgi-bin/soe.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=16089&p_created=1131756150&p_sid=zBSSOati&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=& amp;p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0P
SZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzQwJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0
mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlP
TEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD12aWRlbyBjYXJk&p_li=&p_topview=1

Jack of Light
I'm thinking about an nvidia GeForce. Would that be good, or Radeon?

LinixCobra
DirectX is only as good as what your video card can be allowed to do. DirectX has nothing to do whether or not you can run the game. It all depends on what the recommended specs are and in this case you need a video card capable of running the game.

If your going to get a video card make sure your motherboard can use it also.

Jack of Light
Wait a minute... I'm fairly certain my problems are from the video card. I changed it to windowed mode to see if that would make it work, and a message popped up that said "You require a video card with pixel shader support"

LinixCobra
So far you havent mentioned if you have a video card so nobody can help you determine if its the video card or something else.

Jack of Light
Alright, never mind... I think I can handle it from here. Thanks for your help guys.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.