Please help me identify this game!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

apoc001
There's this game I remember seeing as a kid. It was on the computer and was very old. Like, back when we used those giant black disks old. All I remember is it was a fighting game with large character portraits, and one character was a big man with a blue suit, black beard, and red cape, and he did some kinda wrestling move. A suplex, I guess. And he would laugh every time he won. There was another fighter who was smaller with a white beard and green robes, and he shot green fire along the ground. That's all I can really remember. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please tell me the name.

Ushgarak
You're 17- you can't possibly mean the five and a quarter inch floppies, they were gone by the time you were a kid. What do you mean by "giant black disk"?

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Ushgarak
You're 17- you can't possibly mean the five and a quarter inch floppies, they were gone by the time you were a kid. What do you mean by "giant black disk"?
I'm 17 and I used them in school. He will be talking about them.

Ushgarak
Holy geez, how primitive were those machines? I mean, I am 29 and by the time I was at Secondary school, in 1989, the only machines left with 5.25 floppies were the old Nimbuses and BBCs that they were desperate to get rid of ASAP, and did.

Are you quite sure? I mean, those discs have not been used for gaming since the Commodore 64 days; as a format they were effectively dead by 1990 and completely dead a few years on. You couldn't run Windows 95 on them.

Lana
Heh, when I was a kid we had a computer with a 5.25" floppy drive.

Didn't work though.

apoc001
We were poor when I was a kid. So, yes, I am referring to those 5.25 floppies. I even had to learn to type commands before I was in school.

dirkdirden
I used to jam 5.25" Disk all the time.

But I don't know what you are talking about. It might be Ultima..

LinixCobra
I used those before. It was on a Commadore 64 pc and I played games like jeopardy, wheel of fortune, tic tac toe etc. That was a long time ago though.

apoc001
Keep in mind we also used the regular disks, but I don't know which one this game was on. I did check Ultima out, but it wasn't it. When I said "fighting game" I meant like Mortal Kombat fighting. I hoep that helps a bit.

Ushgarak
Not really, because people barely know any fighting games before Streetfighter II broke the genre.

And it's not International Karate, Karate Champ or Yie Ar Kung Fu either. Actually... IS it YAKF?

What system was this? If it took 'regular' (i.e. 3.5) discs as well it can't be a Commodore, so we are into ridiculously ancient PC territory here.

apoc001
Yeah it was on PC. It could've been made anytime before 1992, but it had alright graphics. At least I think they were alright.

dirkdirden
Originally posted by apoc001
Yeah it was on PC. It could've been made anytime before 1992, but it had alright graphics. At least I think they were alright.

Was it on a MAC? if so they have a list of all mac games, and its not too long to look through like the PC's is.

apoc001
No it was on PC.

Ushgarak
Add 'Way of the Exploding Fist' to games it isn't, btw. It might seem pointless to say what it is not, but I am trying to run through my memory of any notable pre-SFII beat-em up.

Just to knock out an obvious one- it wasn't Streetfighter, was it?

Ushgarak
Oh wow, I forgot Barbarian... it's not that either though.

K73SK

apoc001
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Oh wow, I forgot Barbarian... it's not that either though.

Nope, it's none of the ones you mentioned. I just remembered that the old green-clad guy had some kind of weapon. I think it was a guan dao or maybe some wide-bladed dagger.

Smasandian
Yeah, I used to play all the old PC games too...well not that old.

I had a Tandy 1000 that played the original Madden, Earl Weaver baseball (the best game ever), and Pirates.

Then my uncle gave us his old Atari computer which actually used something similiar to Windows, which had games like Hitchhikers Guide the Galaxy, Dungeon Master, hockey, and another version of Pirates.

Then my dad had another computer which I played regularly that used those old floppy 5 inches, with games like Grand Prix, and the original Test Drive.

Man, those were some fun days.

apoc001
Originally posted by Smasandian
Yeah, I used to play all the old PC games too...well not that old.

I had a Tandy 1000 that played the original Madden, Earl Weaver baseball (the best game ever), and Pirates.

Then my uncle gave us his old Atari computer which actually used something similiar to Windows, which had games like Hitchhikers Guide the Galaxy, Dungeon Master, hockey, and another version of Pirates.

Then my dad had another computer which I played regularly that used those old floppy 5 inches, with games like Grand Prix, and the original Test Drive.

Man, those were some fun days.
I remember Test Drive, too! I can still remember the theme music.

MadMel
the oldest games i remeber playing was LOOM and the kings quest series...
anyways..was it virtua fighter???

Ushgarak
No way is it Virtua on a 5.25! Those things held 1 meg if you were lucky. Like I say, we are looking pre SFII here.

Smasandian
Yeah, no way.

Our guess its probalby some really obscure fighter that nonbody remembers.

Back in the day, they're were alot of games produced that nonbody knew about. It's definitly not like now where every game released usually gets some sort of advertising and an review somewhere.

apoc001
Yeah, I skimmed through all over wikipedia and imdb, and I didn't find anything. It must've been a project by some really small company.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.