What would happen if the Republicans where to steel the 2008 election?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shakyamunison

Bardock42
Steal.

And no clue, people would just say "Hey, shit happens" ?

PVS
more like "deja vu"

Seth Wynd
...it would be significantly more durable and free from impurities than those iron elections?

I kinda have to side with Bardock on this one though. There *might* be a bunch of initial complaining and whining at first, but eventually it'll just die down again until one of the Democrats can dig up a scandal on the Republicans, in which case they'll bring up how the GOP stole the election yet again when they're busy raising Cain on CNN. Granted there's nothing wrong with doing so, as it does give what's being said a stronger impact on the audience, but that's the usual trend. Hell, if the Democrats win I expect the Republicans to do the same if they catch THEM in a scandal.

So yeah...maybe an initial period of hellraising and protesting, but after a month or two it should die down until the group in question feels it's convenient to bring it up again.

sithsaber408
I think that if the Dems run with Hillary, the Republicans won't need to "steel" the election.

Also, something I've never understood:

How did G.W.B. "steal" an election that was so close it came down to one state, by less than a few thousand votes?

If that many people voted for him to make it contested that Al Gore won, then he had plenty of support, plenty of votes, and won a contested decision.

To me, "stealing" it would be if only 30% of people voted for Bush, and the Gore votes of 50% or whatever I guess it coulda been were somehow discarded and not counted.

They were all counted, it was very close, and Bush won.

Just like in '04, where the American public voted in larger numbers than in most recent history, and he still got the majority. (52 or 54% or whatever it was, to Kerry's 48%)

He won fair and square.

People don't have to like him, hell I disagree with some of his choices, but he's the President the people elected.

Deal with it.

BackFire
Fixed that for you, since the people voted for Al Gore.

PVS
actually backfire, you're both mistaken.
it was the supreme court who voted bush into office

BackFire
I love when you talk dirty to me.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by BackFire
Fixed that for you, since the people voted for Al Gore.

Now you're discussing the set-up of American elections and the Electoral college, and I tend to agree with you that the system is stupid.Originally posted by PVS

What both of you ignore is the millions of people who voted for Bush.

He won 2004 as well, remember.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS

I agree, and then Al Gore gave up.

BackFire
But to answer the question of the thread, if the Dems go with Hilary in 08, the Republicans won't need to steal anything, they'll simply win. Too many people hate Hilary for her to win.

However, if they go with Obama, which they should since he's incredibly popular right now, they'd have a damn good chance.

PVS
allow me to correct myself:

Originally posted by PVS
actually backfire, you're both mistaken, you filthy dirty whore.
it was the supreme court who voted bush into office. now open wide and recieve my seed

BackFire
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Now you're discussing the set-up of American elections and the Electoral college, and I tend to agree with you that the system is stupid.

What both of you ignore is the millions of people who voted for Bush.

All that is well and good, just pointing out that the 2000 election the people factually did not vote for him, he lost the popular vote, just wanted to make sure that was crystal clear.

sithsaber408
But to answer the question of the thread, if the Dems go with Hilary in 08, the Republicans won't need to steal anything, they'll simply win. Too many people hate Hilary for her to win.

I think that if the Dems run with Hillary, the Republicans won't need to "steel" the election.

Exactly. stick out tongue

PVS

review the topic

Shakyamunison
Exactly. stick out tongue

Ok, sithsaber408 what would you think if a Republican won and a large number of US citizens protested and claimed that the elation was stolen?

PVS
i think you should change that to

"Ok, sithsaber408 what would you think if a Democrat won controversially via supreme court decision?"

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PVS

"Ok, sithsaber408 what would you think if a Democrat won controversially via supreme court decision?"

That is a good question too.

WrathfulDwarf

BackFire
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
What I think if this were to happen? Oh, well this will just show how lame and pathetic the Democratic party works. Basically they strike out. It proves they are not ahead of the game.

Something is breathing in the back of my neck. confused

That's not good, see a doctor.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by PVS

I would deal with it.

He (or she, as the case won't be) is now the President of my country.

Voted on by the people and (as in the case of 2000) if it was very close and the Supreme Court said the Dem was Prez, then they are Prez.

It's a Christian thing, something about "honoring and obeying appointed leaders" because whether you like 'em or not (think of the Clinton years) God put 'em there and it's for a reason.

BackFire
But... what if God just wasn't paying attention?

PVS
I would deal with it.

no you wouldnt. you'd be ranting about the coming great evangelical uprising just like when the dems took the house and senate.

WrathfulDwarf
That's not good, see a doctor.

I hate shots. sad

sithsaber408
But... what if God just wasn't paying attention?

A lefty sneak huh?

Nahh, they'd be too busy saving whales and trees and killing babies to think so dirty.

Bardock42
I would deal with it.

He (or she, as the case won't be) is now the President of my country.

Voted on by the people and (as in the case of 2000) if it was very close and the Supreme Court said the Dem was Prez, then they are Prez.

It's a Christian thing, something about "honoring and obeying appointed leaders" because whether you like 'em or not (think of the Clinton years) God put 'em there and it's for a reason.

But, God also put you there and you can complain, maybe that's what God wants. Did he say that he doesn't want you to think and just agree with everything? Also, why did he put Saddam in power in the first place....and didn't you folks (supporting Hitler....Bush I mean, sorry, little Freudian slip there) go against the will of God in that case?

Atlantis001
Medieval times ended long ago and people still mix religion with politics.

They are even making crusades to the middle eastern regions again.

Strangelove
If that many people voted for him to make it contested that Al Gore won, then he had plenty of support, plenty of votes, and won a contested decision.Gore won the popular vote by about .5 million

Strangelove
To quote Larry Sabato, one of the foremost political analysts in the country, "The Democrats would have to try very hard to lose this election."

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Strangelove
To quote Larry Sabato, one of the foremost political analysts in the country, "The Democrats would have to try very hard to lose this election."

So, if the Republicans won, would you be suspicious that something funny was going on?

Strangelove
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
So, if the Republicans won, would you be suspicious that something funny was going on? No, I'd be suspicious that half the country was morons though

Bardock42
No, I'd be suspicious that half the country was morons though I thought that was a well known fact by now.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Bardock42
I thought that was a well known fact by now.

I think it's a lot higher number then that. wink

Strangelove
http://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/article.php?id=LJS2007012501

Here's that article by Sabato, btw

Bardock42
I think it's a lot higher number then that. wink Maybe even than.

FeceMan
Were Republicans to steel the 2008 election, I believe that the response would generally be, "How can something as intangible as an election be made to resemble metal?"

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by FeceMan
Were Republicans to steel the 2008 election, I believe that the response would generally be, "How can something as intangible as an election be made to resemble metal?"

sad

AngryManatee
really it would mean nothing. Congress will still be gridlocked since it is still roughly halfed by two parties, with votes in congress requiring 2/3 majority. I don't expect much to happen no matter who wins.

edit: it's steal, not steel. The election wouldn't move if that happened because I'm sure politicians are shitty engineers.

FeceMan
sad
U FUKING NOOB

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by FeceMan
U FUKING NOOB

cry

debbiejo
laughing out loud

Don't cry.........I just don't want Hilary to win..No.

AngryManatee
lol yeah she's a *****

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
laughing out loud

Don't cry.........I just don't want Hilary to win..No.

crybaby

It's just that FeceMan was being so mean to me. laughing

debbiejo
Well..........He is shit........ roll eyes (sarcastic)

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
Well..........He is shit........ roll eyes (sarcastic)

So. true. evil face

Eclipso
I think the Americans should adopt a voting system more similar to the one Canada uses.

You guys really want to prevent a Republican government? Then get out and vote and get your friends out and vote. Lack of voting amoung young adults is a huge part of the problem.

As I was saying to someone last night, my favorite form of government is a philisopher king, choosing the wisest, most intellegent person to run the government. However in North America we select our leaders based on trivial and senseless matters.

Strangelove
Originally posted by AngryManatee
really it would mean nothing. Congress will still be gridlocked since it is still roughly halfed by two parties, with votes in congress requiring 2/3 majority. I don't expect much to happen no matter who wins.You obviously have no clue how Congress works. Overriding vetos requires a 2/3 majority. Any law can be passed by a simple majority.

Bicnarok

AngryManatee
You obviously have no clue how Congress works. Overriding vetos requires a 2/3 majority. Any law can be passed by a simple majority.

a 3/5 majority actually, not a simple majority, which means 261 member,in just the House need to approve, and with 233 members in the democratic party, it's gonna be hard for them or the Republicans to pass anything, as stated before. Not to mention both houses have to agree on the same copy of the bill which doesn't happen very often. Hardly anything productive ever gets done in Congress. Yes, there are the occassional goodies, but for the most part it seems like the only thing they can agree on is raising their salaries.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.