ATB - Innovator of Trance?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DraconianDevil

vintageSW77
i cant beleive idiots actually listen to that smurf dance music
it is totally without merit
the music of the moronic

you want to check out pre ATB trance
he was way down the line 5 years later

The Core
I think Paul Oakenfold pretty much put the genre on the map. It's almost always been a really watered down genre, always looking for something harder and more emotional.

I've been listening to a LOT of VNV Nation as of late, namely "Empires".

vintageSW77
Oakenfold is a ****
i heard a trance/progressive cd from 92 and it was great
its just wank nowadays

DraconianDevil
I think with the introduction of Dj Rankins smurf music, silly DJ vs 70's classic and Cascadia, music is going down the drain.

The Core
Originally posted by vintageSW77
Oakenfold is a ****
its just wank nowadays

Yeah, even in a derivative genre as trance/house, his work never really sounds any different. He makes music for women's clothing stores and TV commercials nowadays.

Originally posted by DraconianDevil
I think with the introduction of Dj Rankins smurf music, silly DJ vs 70's classic and Cascadia, music is going down the drain.

Cascadia is just another one of those people that comes along and has a catchy track lifted off of a DDR soundtrack. Just like DJ Sammy and Yanou, they get their 15 minutes then off to NOW! compilation CD land.

DraconianDevil
Yeah, either NOW or some sort of cheesy party mix

koolruningz
Oakenfold is a ****
its just wank nowadays

Oakenfold cant mix for shit but his label Perfecto has put out some legendary tunes.

Sasha and Digweed got me into trance years ago but most of the trance DJ's i used to listen to are old friends of mine back in London who play on the underground scene. ATB has his moments though.

DraconianDevil
Apparantly there is a new album being released soon from ATB, i think it's this month. I'm looking forward to that.

Deathblow
Humanity stands head and shoulders above the rest of ATB's stuff IMO. It's so common for emotional trance music to be cheesy, but that song is just beautiful.

The Club Rock mix of Feed Your Mind by Oakenfold is one of my favorite dance tracks of any subgenre, and for that reason I can't knock the guy. Don't think there has ever been a song so aptly named as 'Shivers'.

Anyway, it's all about Armin van Buuren. ATB, Oakenfold, Sasha, Paul van Dyk, Chicane, Gouryella, Thrillseekers...they all fall short of Armin. Can't get enough of him.

The Core
Good call on Armin. I like DJ's with a little diversity, like between "Love You More" and "Control Freak". Sometimes, music like this is almost spiritual, lol.

Another group out of the Netherlands I'd recommend for hard-house/ trance would be Qlimax. I listen to "The Prophecy" virtually everyday. It's one of those tracks that just digs deep, makes you want to conquer the world.

DraconianDevil
I like Armin, his tracks are very good. Another good one to look out for is Marco V, some of his stuff is great.

EPIIIBITES
What about Future Sound of London, Hardfloor, 808 State, and KLF? I'd consider them more innovators of the sound, and I think they were all before ATB. ATB did a good job with trance though.

Agreed...Oakenfold, Sasha and all those clowns are junk. As for the evolution of trance, I liked the ultra chill (Swayzak) and the ultra hard (LSG).

IMHO though, I'd have to say it started with Pink Floyd's "On the Run" wink

Deathblow

vintageSW77
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
What about Future Sound of London, Hardfloor, 808 State, and KLF? I'd consider them more innovators of the sound, and I think they were all before ATB. ATB did a good job with trance though.

yeah but they are more Techno than Trance
Hardfloor and 808 were influenced by Detroit Techno and Electro
FSOL and KLF were more ambient ...Floyd and Eno maybe influenced them

The Core
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES

Agreed...Oakenfold, Sasha and all those clowns are junk. As for the evolution of trance, I liked the ultra chill (Swayzak) and the ultra hard (LSG).

IMHO though, I'd have to say it started with Pink Floyd's "On the Run" wink

FSOL is ambient. KLF is house. Hardfloor is techno that came long after Oakenfold. 808 is also house.

vintageSW77
Hardfloor first knocked up stuff in 91 and Techno was around at least 4 years before Oakenfold played a dj set
Oakenfold although a house dj was working with Happy Mondays roundabout 91...he never made anything other than remixes and produced best forgotten "rave" era tracks until the mid 90s

808 started off in 88 and were definatly inspired by the Detroit Techno sound hence the referance to the 808 drum machine in their name
the house came later with the addition of Partington and the other one

KLF started as a mash up band THEN an ambient group then a commercial dance band

FSOL were always ambient with the odd excursion into uptempo noise assaualts

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by The Core
FSOL is ambient. KLF is house. Hardfloor is techno that came long after Oakenfold. 808 is also house.
Yeah, more or less...I just think groups like them (from labels like Eye Q and ZTT) had the odd experimental trance sounding tracks that might've influenced the trance sound before ATB.

...much like Kraftwerk before them.

EPIIIBITES
i cant beleive idiots actually listen to that smurf dance music
it is totally without merit
the music of the moronic Careful with that stuff around here... wink

Oh, I know. There's a lot of good techno/trance out there that gets severely overlooked. I think lots of people who like "techno" (along with trance) tend to like it because it SOUNDS like "techno"...and often can't detect what exactly merits really well done techno/trance.

(and no I'm honestly not trying to start anything here. It's just somethng that's always bugged me about people who say "I love trance" and umbrella all of it together)

Ugh! We forgot Jean Michel Jarre for innovators.

vintageSW77
im refering to the brain dead moronic stuff that the kids in the uk seem to listen to
its just infantile toy shop shit for brain dead ****ers that has no connection with real Techno
i love TRUE Techno
the stuff made by Carl Craig,Drexciya,Juan Atkins,Derrek May,LFO,Cybortron etc

i have a go at making my own
they are a bit basic but ive only been doing it for a couple of months
http://www.myspace.com/runswithrobot
they are unfinished tracks but im quite chuffed with my DETROIT track
i think i got the sound down

vintageSW77
edit

EPIIIBITES
im refering to the brain dead moronic stuff that the kids in the uk seem to listen to
its just infantile toy shop shit for brain dead ****ers that has no connection with real TechnoI'm saying you're right Vint. I just said "be careful" because you can't make statements like that around here if you're not prepared to admit that what you're saying is just your opinion and that there's no truth to it.

...won't get into why though.

vintageSW77
i know why

but in this case well make an exception eh

it is common sense that a musical form which consists of covers of woeful MOR rock,ridiculous BPMs and Smurf vocals accompanied by an egotistical **** shouting over the top is without any merit

i dont think there is anyone thick enough to stand up for chip munk vocalled happy hardcore on this forum is there???

Deathblow
Good god no. Happy hardcore is arguably the worst 'genre' in musical history.

DraconianDevil
I dont call that crap music, it's a complete disgrace. Its the music you would find in some cheesy video game credits, rubbish!

Slay
Originally posted by Deathblow

Anyway, it's all about Armin van Buuren. ATB, Oakenfold, Sasha, Paul van Dyk, Chicane, Gouryella, Thrillseekers...they all fall short of Armin. Can't get enough of him.

Love Armin van Buuren. Been to one of his 'shows' three times. I really liked his re-mix of Raccoons 'Love You More', which I usually can't stand.

DraconianDevil
ATB's new album Trilogy is being released soon and samples of the album have been floating around the internet. It seems pretty good, but i'd rather judge when I hear the full songs.

PsYneuromancer

PsYneuromancer

PsYneuromancer

PsYneuromancer

PsYneuromancer
* Blue Planet Corporation - Blue Planet (1999): Arcana * Cosmosis - Contact (2002): Contact; Skankadelic * Cydonia - In Fear of Red Planet (1999): Narco Nympho * Doof - It's about time (2000): Dark Secrets of the Manky Fudgepocket * Etnica - Equator: Be On Go; Funkadelia; Baraka * Etnica - Alien Protein: Deep East * Man With No Name - Moment Of Truth (1996): Azymuth * Pleiadians - I.F.O (1997): Celaeno * Pleiadians - Family Of Light (1999): Seven Sisters * Shakta - Silicon Trip (1997): Earthrise * Shiva Chandra - Spicy Moments (1996): Electron Seeds; In-Sense; Chilli Out * Shiva Chandra - Positive (1998): Green Coloured * Star Sounds Orchestra - Psy*Force (1997): Ajundria (Mercury 141.3 Hz) * S.U.N. Project - Drosophila (1997): Going With The Flow * S.U.N Project - Macrophage (1998): Energia Magica; From Dusk Till Dawn * Tarsis - Vacuum (1998): Vacuum *

PsYneuromancer
The Infinity Project - Feeling Weird (1996): Noises from the Darkness (Dub) * Transwave - Phototropic (1996): Ulysse Voyage No 3 * Vibrasphere - Echo (2000): Aguas Calientes; San Pedro; Abra * Vibrasphere - Lime Structure (2003): Soul Wire; Manzanilla * X-Dream - Trip To Trancesylvania (1993): Time Begins Tomorrow (Orbit Fly) * X-Dream - We Created Our Own Happiness (1997): Relaxed Vortex * X-Dream - Radio (1998): Out of Your Control * George Elgyn - Chroma Spectrum LP (2006): Whitenoise * Astral Projection - Dancing Galaxy (1997): Ambient Galaxy (Disco Valley Mix) * Blue Planet Corporation - Blue Planet (1999): Arcana * Cosmosis - Contact (2002): Contact; Skankadelic * Cydonia - In Fear of Red Planet (1999): Narco Nympho * Doof - It's about time (2000): Dark Secrets of the Manky Fudgepocket * Etnica - Equator: Be On Go; Funkadelia; Baraka * Etnica - Alien Protein: Deep East * Man With No Name - Moment Of Truth (1996):

PsYneuromancer
The Infinity Project - Feeling Weird (1996): Noises from the Darkness (Dub) * Transwave - Phototropic (1996): Ulysse Voyage No 3 * Vibrasphere - Echo (2000): Aguas Calientes; San Pedro; Abra * Vibrasphere - Lime Structure (2003): Soul Wire; Manzanilla * X-Dream - Trip To Trancesylvania (1993): Time Begins Tomorrow (Orbit Fly) * X-Dream - We Created Our Own Happiness (1997): Relaxed Vortex * X-Dream - Radio (1998): Out of Your Control * George Elgyn - Chroma Spectrum LP (2006): Whitenoise

PsYneuromancer
My point being....... Theres a lot more names in the world then the mainstream will let you think about look deeper people I did my part now listen to some of these on youtube and have fun digging deeper!

Eon Blue
Those were some annoying posts you just made, Psy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.