random computer restarting

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

K73SK
I believe it may be the video memory, i need it upgraded.

here's the issue. If i leave my computer Idle (no keyboard or mouse movements) for a little bit, the computer will randomly restart itself. a screensaver can be in progress or music can be playing, but it conciders that idle time i guess. I did check the system power options, and they are all on Never and everything, so I really don't know what it is. When the computer boots back up, it comes up /w an error msg saying "windows ahs recovered from a serious error". i click the Log details, and it says something about the files "sysdata.xml" and "Mini013107-01.dmp" .

I decided what I'm going to do is go to safe mode and delete the content inside my minidump folder. but nope, it didn't do anything. Anyone know what it could be?

I have:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.20 GHz)
1 DDR RAM
128MB RADEON series video card
512 KBytes of L2 Cache
my clock bus speed is 200 MHz

So i think the problem should be my video card. it only has 128mb and it has all these higher things on it. Anyone agree it may be the problem? I am buying a nVidia with 512mb of video memory in it. I believe it's the 6800 series or somewhere in the 7000. I haven't quite decided.

LinixCobra
Has it occured to you that it may be a virus which causes your PC to reboot randomly? Its happened to me.

dirkdirden
The likely hood of it being your video card seems slim to me. I would still go buy the nvidia just because its a much better and newer card.

It could be your ram failing to dump, or it could be bad drivers.

Run anti virus in safe mode

www.memtest.org will test ram errors

Good luck

K73SK
scanned for viruses /w 3 diff programs

it's definately not the ram because this is a brand new stick

it started occuring once i put the new processor in, which is why i was leading to think it's the video card. the video card's about...i'm guessing 3-4 years old.

oh and it's supposed to say 1GB DDR RAM, not 1 DDR RAM, LOL

K73SK
srry for double post, but here's a screen of the problem.

LinixCobra
check your Event Log files for the actual error code and what really is happening.

dirkdirden
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;905539
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;897079

Check out the links it should help you out.

If it doesn't help then try and uninstalling the following updates.

kb890923
kb892944
kb893066
kb893086
kb890859

Hope it helps.

K73SK
just to make this easier, i'm going to send my computer to my dad (comp genius) and he said he'll figure it out for me. we're trying to think of a date when i can give it to him and get the computer back. so once i get it back i'd be happy to share my problem for any future users who get the same thing happening.

K73SK
(now that my dad had fixed the problems)

all i got to say is :

it IS possible for RAM to restart the computer randomly when the RAM is overheating. but in this case it was not the RAM that was my computers problem.

the reason this wasn't the case was because my computer restarted only at idle times or when i was on turf battles and used a portal scroll...

For anyone who has these problems, i suggest getting Registry Doctor. He found over 500 f'd up registry's.

Download and (he suggested buying) SpyDoctor. It found 200 spyware programs that Search&Destroy didn't find, nor did Ad-Aware find...plus a few trojans they didn't pick up.

So the real problem was the trojans and registry problems.

LinixCobra
Originally posted by LinixCobra
Has it occured to you that it may be a virus which causes your PC to reboot randomly? Its happened to me.

Thanks for taking my advice wink

guy222

i restart mine every two or three days, is that ok. i have no viruses

dirkdirden

LinixCobra
I just use Firefox, it prevents a lot more adware/spyware from entering your PC than IE plus I do a scan once a week.

dirkdirden
I just use Firefox, it prevents a lot more adware/spyware from entering your PC than IE plus I do a scan once a week.

yeah the Fire fox is the gooder brower in every aspect, but for some reason people still use IE.

K73SK
3 of the viruses were redirected to MSN. so i deleted the messenger and got Trillian...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.