Scott Walker- The Drift

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr. Strangelove
Has anybody else heard this? I bought it on a recommendation from a friend and my god, probably the most disturbing music I've ever heard. It makes The Downward Spiral sound like The Black Parade in comparison. While it is immensely disturbing, the musicianship is great and I could really tell that a lot of thought was taken to every song. I also haven't heard an album that's used silence this well since Delirivm Cordia, as the silence made Walker's sounds even more haunting.

Deathblow
Ugh, yeah. I borrowed this, or rather, had it forced on me, by my dad the other day. I don't think I could ever bring myself to like it, as inventive and interesting as it is. It's just too gruelling to sit through. An hour and a bit of genuinely unsettling sounds that always feel like they're building up to something horrific, just around the corner out of sight; not my idea of fun. It's like the musical equivalent of a David Lynch movie, but worse. And more confusing.

Dr. Strangelove
So you're not putting it on your IPod next to Gym Class Heroes? What could go smoother than going from New Friends Request to The Escape?

Yeah, I've only listened to it once. I'll probably pop it in sooner or later but it certainly isn't something that I'll be listening to on a regular basis. I put it in the category of stuff like Man Bites Dog in that it is something that'll be extremely ugly and disturbing, but it is a ****ing ride like no other.

What song or part freaked you out the most?

I was totally freaked out when that donkey started screeching. I had the deer in the headlights look along with having goosebumps all over my body.

Here's the Jesse video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYyOkQUyJZM

manorastroman
i prefer his pop stuff, like scott I-IV. "mother can you hear me yell? your baby boy's gone back to hell!"

Deathblow
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
So you're not putting it on your IPod next to Gym Class Heroes? What could go smoother than going from New Friends Request to The Escape?

Yeah, I've only listened to it once. I'll probably pop it in sooner or later but it certainly isn't something that I'll be listening to on a regular basis. I put it in the category of stuff like Man Bites Dog in that it is something that'll be extremely ugly and disturbing, but it is a ****ing ride like no other.

What song or part freaked you out the most?

I was totally freaked out when that donkey started screeching. I had the deer in the headlights look along with having goosebumps all over my body.

Meat Hook Sodomy by Cannibal Corpse maybe? Or perhaps You Were Pregnant So I Kicked You In The Stomach by Anal C*nt?

Hard to pick an exact part as the most freaky. Probably finding out that those weird drums in Clara were actually dudes banging on pieces of raw meat, or those odd hiss noises Scott makes on A Lover Loves. It's just so completely strange and non-musical, and jarring to the point that it makes me jump every time, without fail.

Alpha Centauri
It's funny how far ahead of the curve Mike Patton really is. He did this kind of thing 4 years ago.

-AC

Deathblow
Are you that man's PA or something?

Alpha Centauri
I am him.

This has all been a marketing ploy.

Mr. Bungle Play the Hits out May 29th.

Seriously though, no. I was just making a point.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I am him.

-AC

Hahahahaha. You're barely you.

Actually extra are... you...him, bouncing.

manorastroman
it's not as if mike patton invented musique concrete. i mean, scott walker was doing this kind of weird avant stuff back in 1995 on tilt. so...ahead of what curve?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by manorastroman
it's not as if mike patton invented musique concrete. i mean, scott walker was doing this kind of weird avant stuff back in 1995 on tilt. so...ahead of what curve?

The curve that Mr. Bungle also set in the 80s.

If you're going to attempt to counter my praise of him, justified praise as it is, then get it right, at least.

-AC

manorastroman
did you just imply that tilt and the drift are inspired by mister bungle? and scott walker didn't invent musique concrete either, that was just in regards to the "four years ago" thing. it's been fairly common since the damn 1950's.

Victor Von Doom
Are the damn 1950s more forceful than the normal ones?

Alpha Centauri
did you just imply that tilt and the drift are inspired by mister bungle? and scott walker didn't invent musique concrete either, that was just in regards to the "four years ago" thing. it's been fairly common since the damn 1950's.

You implying that Scott Walker may or may not have been ahead of the innovation curve set by Mike Patton is what I mentioned Bungle for.

Tilt was his first real "out there" work.

-AC

manorastroman
oh i might argue that mister bungle isn't very innovative at all. mr bungle's only real unique attribute is genre-bending, and they weren't nearly the first group to mash together seemingly disparate styles. considering the resources available, todd rundgren did the same thing only better on something/anything and a wizard, a true star.

Alpha Centauri
oh i might argue that mister bungle isn't very innovative at all. mr bungle's only real unique attribute is genre-bending, and they weren't nearly the first group to mash together seemingly disparate styles. considering the resources available, todd rundgren did the same thing only better on something/anything and a wizard, a true star.

Then I might argue that you lack capacity to judge innovation. Nothing sounded like Mr. Bungle, nothing does sound like Mr. Bungle, nothing WILL sound like Mr. Bungle.

They did things on all their albums that hadn't been done before or hadn't been done that WAY. So regardless, they were a very innovative band.

Hahaha, comparing Todd Rundgren to Mr. Bungle.

-AC

manorastroman
in they greater picture, their methods are very much the same.

Alpha Centauri
In the even greater picture every band is the same cos they play instruments.

Todd Rundgren and Mr. Bungle are nothing alike.

-AC

manorastroman
their methods are.

Kid Kurdy
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri Tilt was his first real "out there" work.
"Do I hear 21 21 21 ? I'll give you 21 21 21."

Good song. The rest of Tilt was nap time.

Alpha Centauri
their methods are.

It doesn't become more true if you keep saying it.

-AC

Deathblow
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I am him.

-AC

As was I, albeit a joking one (you do mention Patton far too much for it to be healthy, young man). Apologies if I've sparked off an argument here.

And I'd certainly buy that record (Mr Bungle Plays the Hits). Provided the Super Mario samples remained a key feature.

Alpha Centauri
I don't mention him any more than some people here mention bands.

Eg: That Prince guy.

-AC

Deathblow
Harry?

Alpha Centauri
I think I see what you did there...

-AC

Victor Von Doom
New ****ing phrase that needs to die. That.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.