Your favourite philosophical quotes?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chillmeistergen
My favourite is "If a lion could talk, we could not understand him" Ludwig Wittgenstein. What are your favourites?

pcp
"I think, therfore I am"

Symmetric Chaos
"This world can't stay shrouded in darkness forever. The sun will rise tomorrow."

Regret
"Mind you, there are thousands of clever men who would give anything for the chance to come in and take over from me, but I don't want that sort of person. I don't want a grown-up person at all. A grown-up won't listen to me; he won't learn. He will try to do things his own way and not mine. So I have to have a child."

Willy Wonka - Roald Dahl

Strangelove
Originally posted by pcp
"I think, therfore I am" Cogito ergo sum

chillmeistergen
or the full: Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum = I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am. Descartes 1596-1650

Storm
Originally posted by Strangelove
Cogito ergo sum
The original statement was in French: "Je pense, donc je suis."

Bardock42
Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities (and the smallest minority on earth is the individual).

- Ayn Rand

lord xyz
"Man who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with stinky finger."

-- Confuscious

Strangelove
Originally posted by Storm
The original statement was in French: "Je pense, donc je suis." No, it was first published in Latin, French wasn't until 6 years later

Storm

WrathfulDwarf
"I know nothing, except the fact of my ignorance."

-Socrates

Strangelove

Storm
The Meditations (first published in Latin in 1641) consist of the presentation of Descartes' metaphysical system in its most detailed level and in the expanding of Descartes' philosophical system, which he first introduced in the fourth part of his Discourse on Method (first published in French in 1637).

Strangelove
The Meditations (first published in Latin in 1641) consist of the presentation of Descartes' metaphysical system in its most detailed level and in the expanding of Descartes' philosophical system, which he first introduced in the fourth part of his Discourse on Method (first published in French in 1637). Ah. Well then we're...both right?

It's just semantics at that point, really stick out tongue

Mindship
"Attention. Attention. Attention."
--Zen master Ikkyu

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
--Einstein

"I yam what I yam."
--Popeye

m. sade
Slowly but surely
I adopt the vices
of my dead father.
--Taneda Santoka roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bardock42
Ah. Well then we're...both right?

It's just semantics at that point, really stick out tongue

Not really, she is just right.

Strangelove
Originally posted by Bardock42
Not really, she is just right. Well. I was speaking specifically of Meditation on First Philosophy. Which was first published in Latin. She was talking about the Discourse on Method, which was first published in French.

And my point was that the famous idiom, "I think therefore I am", was first published in Latin, in the Meditations. Storm correctly said that the Meditations was an expansion on the Discourse on Method. However, "I think therefore I am" was not included in the Discourse.

So really, I guess you could say I'm right

Bardock42
Well. I was speaking specifically of Meditation on First Philosophy. Which was first published in Latin. She was talking about the Discourse on Method, which was first published in French.

And my point was that the famous idiom, "I think therefore I am", was first published in Latin, in the Meditations. Storm correctly said that the Meditations was an expansion on the Discourse on Method. However, "I think therefore I am" was not included in the Discourse.

So really, I guess you could say I'm right

Just...that you are not.

Since it was first published in French. In the Discourse....so...really, you are just wrong. But doesn't matter, can happen to anyone...like it just happened to you.

Strangelove
Just...that you are not.

Since it was first published in French. In the Discourse....so...really, you are just wrong. But doesn't matter, can happen to anyone...like it just happened to you. I thought I was wrong for a while too. But when I looked again at the relevant details, I'm technically correct.

Bardock42
The original statement was in French: "Je pense, donc je suis." Originally posted by Strangelove
No, it was first published in Latin, French wasn't until 6 years later

You are wrong. First it was published in French.

End of story, I would say.

Strangelove
You are wrong. First it was published in French.

End of story, I would say. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discourse_On_the_Method

Damn.

You're right, I didn't read it close enough.

Ah well. Shit happens

Bardock42
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discourse_On_the_Method

Damn.

You're right, I didn't read it close enough.

Ah well. Shit happens

At least you admit it, you are a good guy.

Strangelove
At least you admit it, you are a good guy. I ain't no sithsaber up in here smokin'

pcp
Necessity is the mother of invention

DeNiro
I have a few favorties of my own. The first one is "Aspire to inspire before you expire" and also "There is beauty in everything, not everybody sees it." the last quote was from cruscious or how ever you spell his name.

comment on my quotes and also add your own

DigiMark007
"Faithless is he who says goodbye when the road darkens."
- Tolkien

lord xyz
"A friend in need is a friend indeed."

"A friend with weed is better."

Darth Exodus
' Man alone creates beauty for Man alone has the pain to need it'- Nietzche

Grand_Moff_Gav
"Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
- Saint Augustine

"He who hears the wises of the past and shouts them is a pupil who will never be teacher. He who hears the wises of the past and shouts the wises of the future is a pupil who will become teacher to many."
-Anon

"There is no wisdom in plagiarism."
-Anon

Jack Daniels
Hey doublebubble! I'll give you a ride! - Cheech Marin runlfrun

Grand_Moff_Gav
"Freedom of choice is a universal principle to which there should be no exceptions" Mikhail Gorbachev

Mandos
''That something is difficult, must be so more a reason for doing it''

Maria, Letters to a young poet, 1904

ragesRemorse
Pride exists only in the company of others- Plato

If you tell the truth you never have to remember anything- Twain

Mindship
"The saddest words of tongue or pen, are these four words, what might have been."
-- John Greenleaf Whittier

Similarly (though I don't know who first said it)...
"Better to try and fail than fail to try."

lord xyz
"If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?" -- Stanislaw J. Lec

Adam_PoE
Cogito ergo sum.

Mindship
"Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you? You are at your very best when things are worst."

-- Starman, revealing his overall opinion about human beings.

agphoenix
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
...If you tell the truth you never have to remember anything- Twain
Always loved that quote.
These are two of my favourites; first one after I got here!

"BELLADONNA, n.
In Italian a beautiful lady; in English a deadly poison. A striking example of the essential identity of the two tongues." ~ Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

"Life is a long preparation for something that never happens." ~ W.Yeats

lord xyz
"They must find it difficult...

Those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority."

- G. Massey

chillmeistergen
That's quite a good one.

lord xyz
Thanks, I got it from Zeitgeist.

Kosta
Ziegheist was great to watch... but so full of lies. For this exact reason I find it hypocritical of them to have used that quote.

FistOfThe North
"Free, your mind."

- The Matrix

To me that means to be and remain open to anything and everything. That even if you don't (want to) understand, one should still make the attempt to. (even if th results turn out unpleasant). At least you'll become informed and prepared with the knowledge. To me, to not want to (understand), would be ignorant.

Also, experience then judge. Thing is, the reverse seems to be the common way of doing it. Which is indeed the ignorant way. And to me, ignorance imprisons the mind.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Kosta
Ziegheist was great to watch... but so full of lies. For this exact reason I find it hypocritical of them to have used that quote. The film gets updated when errors are made, and doesn't pass itself off as absolute fact. The website also has a section of the errors in it made.

For example, in an earlier version, it has JFK's speech about secret societies and showed clips of the zapruder film, implying he was talking about the elite and got shot because of it, but on the site, it acknoledged that Kennedy was really talking about communism, and in a later edition, removed the scene altogether.

I do have a slight distaste of it's use of loose change as a reference, but since the first time I saw it, it has taken off some of loose change's errors and instead uses scenes from the more factful final cut edition of loose change.

lord xyz

Grand_Moff_Gav
"Us girls we are so magical, soft skin red lips so kissable, hard to resist too touchable, too good to deny it...aint no big deal its innocent."- Katy Perry

lord xyz
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Sri Chinmony Ghose

leonheartmm
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards - the White Queen . alice in wonderland

lord xyz
"If it's true that each and every one of us came from the centre of the star, then we're all the same thing, even a coke machine or a cigarette butt, and buffalo are all made of atoms from the centre of a star and have all been made of atoms as have you and I, that have been recycled millions of times over. Therefore it's only me out there, so what is there to be afraid of? Nothing. The problem is we've been separated by given a name and an identy but there are still some of us that have this yearning to be a part of the overall one again. They call it God, they say he has rules, and I think it's cruel. I think you can do it abscent religion."

-- George Carlin

Bicnarok
a tortoise has to stick its head out if it wants to progress

Bada's Palin
"Immaturity is nothing more than a continued battle against growing old and eventually dying"

One of my favourites.

Mindship
"If you think you know a profound truth, you should be able to demonstrate it in your everyday life. Otherwise, you don't really know it. You're just talking about it."

Lycanthrope
I have a couple dear to me. Im sure you will all recognize and, know who said them.

"They that give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Saftey"

"There is nothing more necessary than truth, and in comparison with it everything else has only secondary value."

"Those who profess to be wise are fools"

"Remember, no matter where you go,there you are"

Mindship
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once.
Space is what prevents everything from happening to me."

Attributed to John Archibald Wheeler

Mindship
"You don't really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother."

-- Albert Einstein

LDHZenkai
"Faith: not wanting to know what is true" Nietzsche
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. "
Friedrich Nietzsche
"In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Juk3n
My personal favourite is Voltaires' "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him"

I think this is the most relevent one in history of civilization. Infact it's ironic that without Mans invented Gods there wouldn't even be civilizations. Mans ever lasting quest to be judged by, and to appease the guy above him.

LDHZenkai
Originally posted by Juk3n
My personal favourite is Voltaires' "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him"

I think this is the most relevent one in history of civilization. Infact it's ironic that without Mans invented Gods there wouldn't even be civilizations. Mans ever lasting quest to be judged by, and to appease the guy above him.
so true, so true.

inimalist
Originally posted by Juk3n

Where do Eastern and Native American (North America) traditions fall into this?

afaik, they do not have a supreme father in the sky

StarCraft2
Do unto others
before they do unto me

Mindship
"Nothing is as common as the desire to be remarkable."
-- William Shakespeare

King Castle
Originally posted by inimalist
Where do Eastern and Native American (North America) traditions fall into this?

afaik, they do not have a supreme father in the sky ummh... i dont know how to answer this kinda angry and frustrated just thinking how i should answer this and having read your post.

various native americans believe in a creator spirit aka the Great Spirit alias also the great maker and so and so on.. only massive difference between others is they dont try to humanize it... shamanism and animism is the foundation for many indigenous tribes in the americas up down and in between.

the soul or spirit permeates the world and all things in it.. its a concept that many religions fail to see or understand even when their own religion tries to tell them.

example:

The Holy Spirit

favorite quote:

When you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back at you.
Friedrich Nietzsche
German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Split a piece of wood; I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there." ... secret saying of emmanuel

lil bitchiness
''Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation''

- Oscar Wild

Dr Will Hatch
Beat this.

Death: Humans need fantasy to *be* human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
Susan: With tooth fairies? Hogfathers?
Death: Yes. As practice, you have to start out learning to believe the little lies.
Susan: So we can believe the big ones?
Death: Yes. Justice, mercy, duty. That sort of thing.
Susan: They're not the same at all.
Death: You think so? Then take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder, and sieve it through the finest sieve, and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. And yet, you try to act as if there is some ideal order in the world. As if there is some, some rightness in the universe, by which it may be judged.
Susan: But people have got to believe that, or what's the point?
Death: You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?

-From the Hogfather TV movie, based on the book by Terry Pratchett

Dreampanther
Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones that let in the light.

- Groucho Marx

stick out tongue

Rascaduanok
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Beat this.

Death: Humans need fantasy to *be* human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
Susan: With tooth fairies? Hogfathers?
Death: Yes. As practice, you have to start out learning to believe the little lies.
Susan: So we can believe the big ones?
Death: Yes. Justice, mercy, duty. That sort of thing.
Susan: They're not the same at all.
Death: You think so? Then take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder, and sieve it through the finest sieve, and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. And yet, you try to act as if there is some ideal order in the world. As if there is some, some rightness in the universe, by which it may be judged.
Susan: But people have got to believe that, or what's the point?
Death: You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?

-From the Hogfather TV movie, based on the book by Terry Pratchett

Death speaks ONLY IN CAPITALS.

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by Rascaduanok
Death speaks ONLY IN CAPITALS.

Indeed he does. Sorry. sad

Rascaduanok

Grate the Vraya
The original statement was in French: "Je pense, donc je suis." Just to add another language to the list: "Pienso, entonces soy." The concept of that quote is my favorite, no matter the language.

alltoomany
When you die what do you think people will talk about? Your dash on your headstone or your cash? unknown

Mindship
"Another short-term goal accomplished."
-- Harvey Pekar

Darth Piggott
It is necessary for him who lays out a state and arranges laws for it to presuppose that all men are evil and that they are always going to act according to the wickedness of their spirits whenever they have free scope.

--Niccolo Machiavelli

King Castle
whenever i am in a pickle i tend to fall back and think: "to be or not to be?"

Symmetric Chaos

alltoomany
I dont know shit

elfirrepins
"Answering questions is questioning answers."

- elfirrepins

Dr. Leg Kick
Every man has some reminiscences which he would not tell to everyone, but only to his friends. He has others which he would not reveal even to his friends, but only to himself, and that in secret. But finally there are still others which a man is even afraid to tell himself, and every decent man has a considerable number of such things stored away. That is, one can even say that the more decent he is, the greater the number of such things in his mind.
-Dostoevsky

alltoomany
When I am GOOD, I am VERY GOOD, but when I am BAD, I'm BETTER.

Can you Guess who said that?

Mindship
Originally posted by alltoomany
When I am GOOD, I am VERY GOOD, but when I am BAD, I'm BETTER.

Can you Guess who said that?
http://www.biography.com/dead_famous/images/episode_images/Mae_West_320x240.jpg

alltoomany
Originally posted by Mindship
http://www.biography.com/dead_famous/images/episode_images/Mae_West_320x240.jpg

Wow that took you long enough..

Mindship
Originally posted by alltoomany
Wow that took you long enough.. laughing out loud

I seized the day.

Deja~vu
I used to have that as my old avatar.....Mae West.

She had lots of dirty little quotes...Hehe

alltoomany
Don't F**K with me fellows, this aint my first time at the Rodeo... cool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.