No wonder Satan despises Christ...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FeceMan
Satan thought himself to be as God's equal based on his qualities alone, and, in his pride, was cast down from heaven. Jesus, however, did not desire this, but he was humbled, humiliated in the form of a human. The mighty king served those over whom he was to rule. In dying on the cross, God raised him up to where Satan desired to be--as God's equal.

So Christ, in not seeking glory, was elevated to the status of being as God Himself--a slap in the face of Lucifer.

Thundar
Originally posted by FeceMan
Satan thought himself to be as God's equal based on his qualities alone, and, in his pride, was cast down from heaven. Jesus, however, did not desire this, but he was humbled, humiliated in the form of a human. The mighty king served those over whom he was to rule. In dying on the cross, God raised him up to where Satan desired to be--as God's equal.

So Christ, in not seeking glory, was elevated to the status of being as God Himself--a slap in the face of Lucifer.

Good points. I think its also important to remember that Christ had no need to be elevated though, as he was, is, and always will be God or the great "I AM." I also think some of the main cruxes(no pun intended) of him(God) presenting himself in such a humbled fashion was to demonstrate his love for us, how practical of a God he is, the right way to live life, as well as show us there really is no need for us to be afraid of him.

Regret
Originally posted by Thundar
Good points. I think its also important to remember that Christ had no need to be elevated though, as he was, is, and always will be God or the great "I AM." I also think some of the main cruxes(no pun intended) of him(God) presenting himself in such a humbled fashion was to demonstrate his love for us, how practical of a God he is, the right way to live life, as well as show us there really is no need for us to be afraid of him. Although the scriptures do say that he was made more.

Capt_Fantastic
Good points. I think its also important to remember that Christ had no need to be elevated though, as he was, is, and always will be God or the great "I AM." I also think some of the main cruxes(no pun intended) of him(God) presenting himself in such a humbled fashion was to demonstrate his love for us, how practical of a God he is, the right way to live life, as well as show us there really is no need for us to be afraid of him.

Kind of passing the point by, aren't you?

Thundar
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Kind of passing the point by, aren't you?

Maybe a bit. Gotta set the record straight though..so you youngins won't get confused an understan that Jesus is the same God of the old testament.

I've almost made Regret a believer..based on that last post, for once he didn't dogmatically disagree with me..laughing

Like yourself and others though, he's still a work in progress...

Regret, why don't you just give it up bro. Concede that Jesus is I AM so I can stop proselytizing for a bit...wink

EDIT: mispelling..

Capt_Fantastic
Maybe a bit. Gotta set the record straight though..so you youngins won't get confused an understan that Jesus is the same God of the old testament.

I've almost made Regret a believer..based on that last post, for once he didn't dogmatically disagree with me..laughing

Like yourself and others though, he's still a work in progress...

Regret, why don't you just give it up bro. Concede that Jesus is I AM so I can stop proselytizing for a bit...wink

EDIT: mispelling..

I'm sure you consider a "work in progress" something noble. However, I assure you it's a waste of time.

As for I AM and Jesus being the same, you are correct. At least that's what people made up about Jesus.

Imperial_Samura

Wasn't that the destiny of Jesus though? His purpose? Hadn't Jesus and his part on earth been prophasised (or so some claim) for many years before he was even born?

I'd think that would loose some impact - this isn't some human doing good things ignorant of his destiny or his family tree or what was coming... this was Jesus whose life seems to have been mapped out a long time in advance, and who was raised up to be God's equal at pretty much the end of his sacred mission.... unless of course Jesus wasn't aware that he was going to be "God's equal" after dying on the cross.

Did Jesus go to the cross thinking (in amongst the pain):

"Well, I suffered, I was humbled and was humiliated as a human, and now I am to die, I guess I will just be another heaven bound soul"

Or would he have probably been thinking more:

"My sacred task is coming to a close, and soon the second phase will dawn, along with the fate of humanity, as I ascend to Heaven as God's right hand man."

I mean I just imagine it might be ever so slightly easier to be humble and not desire being God's equal if you actually know that is exactly what is going to happen.

And it doesn't really seem that much of a slap in the face now that I think about it. I mean it would be if both Jesus and Satan had had an equal shot to be God's equal, and Satan merely went about it the wrong way and thus lost the posistion to Jesus (who incidently also happened to be the bosses son.) Was Satan ever going to be God's equal? Apparently not, thus he had a shot at becoming so off his own back, and got burned for his troubles.

King Kandy
Satan hates christ because he supports God, the worst dictator of all time.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Wasn't that the destiny of Jesus though? His purpose? Hadn't Jesus and his part on earth been prophasised (or so some claim) for many years before he was even born?
Yes.

However, the point is that Christ sacrificed himself not for the intent of being exalted but to save humanity. Christ knew of his exaltation, but he cared more about us than ascending to the throne.
I'm sure you consider a "work in progress" something noble. However, I assure you it's a waste of time.

As for I AM and Jesus being the same, you are correct. At least that's what people made up about Jesus.
"Before Abraham was, I am."

u r so smrt, y didnt i tihnk of taht???

Capt_Fantastic
"Before Abraham was, I am."

At least that's what people made up about Jesus.

Imperial_Samura
Yes.

However, the point is that Christ sacrificed himself not for the intent of being exalted but to save humanity. Christ knew of his exaltation, but he cared more about us than ascending to the throne.

Exactly, the fact he knew of exaltation in the future would mean he wouldn't need to worry about promotion for his good work in the salvation of man, and could give his full attention to being the face of Holiness.

For my example - Bob started of in a casual job, which was great, and he enjoyed it and was good worker because he loved it, but it is likely his thoughts would have turned to promotion eventually, maybe a permanent position in time. Yet at the beginning of the year he was talking to one of the guys from payroll who says he has seen the list of people due to be offered permanent positions during the mid year period - and lo Bob is one of them. He can now work happily and without concern knowing he is to be rewarded for his good work over the last couple of years and can dedicate himself fully to the job at hand.

Which is different then a person acting completely selflessly not knowing of what is in store for them, beyond terrible things towards the end of their life but doing it anyway with no thought or desire of future reward.

Regret
Regret, why don't you just give it up bro. Concede that Jesus is I AM so I can stop proselytizing for a bit...wink I agree that Jesus is I AM.
But...

Is God the Father "I AM"? No, I do not believe so.

Regret
Exactly, the fact he knew of exaltation in the future would mean he wouldn't need to worry about promotion for his good work in the salvation of man, and could give his full attention to being the face of Holiness.

For my example - Bob started of in a casual job, which was great, and he enjoyed it and was good worker because he loved it, but it is likely his thoughts would have turned to promotion eventually, maybe a permanent position in time. Yet at the beginning of the year he was talking to one of the guys from payroll who says he has seen the list of people due to be offered permanent positions during the mid year period - and lo Bob is one of them. He can now work happily and without concern knowing he is to be rewarded for his good work over the last couple of years and can dedicate himself fully to the job at hand.

Which is different then a person acting completely selflessly not knowing of what is in store for them, beyond terrible things towards the end of their life but doing it anyway with no thought or desire of future reward. My personal view is that if Christ fit your scenario, he would have been an unworthy offering. His entire consideration should have been only the aiding, love, of man. I believe it entirely possible Christ did not "know" what would happen afterwards, he had faith in the Father, else why the cry "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Regret
My personal view is that if Christ fit your scenario, he would have been an unworthy offering. His entire consideration should have been only the aiding, love, of man. I believe it entirely possible Christ did not "know" what would happen afterwards, he had faith in the Father, else why the cry "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

Why the cry indeed. If that isn't one of the more hotly debated aspects of Christ who is God or Christ who isn't then I don't know what is.

And Jesus, regardless of his future, his past or whatever was human at the time. I merely commented that it would be easier for a human to be humble and unconcerned with the future if they new at the end of it all they were going to be raised up as God's equal. Why dwell on promotion and how much you deserve it if you know it is coming. But that all depends on how much Jesus exactly knew, and how privy he was to God's plans for him. The way a good many Christians talk would seem to indicate they believe Jesus was aware of what life had in store for him.

And "His entire consideration".... I don't know, it seems a bit unfair. I think it would have been more then fair if he get married, maybe have children. I certainly wouldn't hold it against him if somewhere deep inside the thought occasionally cropped up "I deserve better." Of if while he hung on the cross certain unhappy thoughts arose about the people he loved so much doing this to him. The "heroes" that impress me more are not the ones devoid of such things, but the ones who overcome them and do what they have to.

Regret
Why the cry indeed. If that isn't one of the more hotly debated aspects of Christ who is God or Christ who isn't then I don't know what is.
But then I'm not Trinitarian in my belief, I believe in a Godhead made up of three distinct individuals, distinct in the same way that you and I are distinct.
And Jesus, regardless of his future, his past or whatever was human at the time. I merely commented that it would be easier for a human to be humble and unconcerned with the future if they new at the end of it all they were going to be raised up as God's equal. Why dwell on promotion and how much you deserve it if you know it is coming. But that all depends on how much Jesus exactly knew, and how privy he was to God's plans for him. The way a good many Christians talk would seem to indicate they believe Jesus was aware of what life had in store for him. I think they do, another reason that they do not consider me "Christian" (meaning in their clique of "Christians"wink. I believe that such knowledge of his future would make his sacrifice a mockery of suffering, not some grand and noble act. Such knowledge might make Anne Rice's portrayal of Christ in "Memnoch" possibly accurate, imo, and I hated the Christ she portrayed.

And "His entire consideration".... I don't know, it seems a bit unfair. I think it would have been more then fair if he get married, maybe have children. I certainly wouldn't hold it against him if somewhere deep inside the thought occasionally cropped up "I deserve better." Of if while he hung on the cross certain unhappy thoughts arose about the people he loved so much doing this to him. The "heroes" that impress me more are not the ones devoid of such things, but the ones who overcome them and do what they have to. Nothing in the Bible states whether he did or did not get married or have children, the stance on such is based in traditions, not in evidence at hand. I believe he did what he had to do, the Jews didn't like his message so they convinced the Romans he was claiming to be "king", and the Romans crucified him.

Imperial_Samura
But then I'm not Trinitarian in my belief, I believe in a Godhead made up of three distinct individuals, distinct in the same way that you and I are distinct.

Yes, I am clear on that.

Which is exactly what I am getting at - if Jesus did in fact have his life and death mapped out and was aware of it then it would be much easier to be self sacrificing and unconcerned with the future.

I know, I was just postulating that the big selling point of Jesus was the fact he was human, and as such I could accept some human things, especially things he might have thought.

FeceMan

Which is different then a person acting completely selflessly not knowing of what is in store for them, beyond terrible things towards the end of their life but doing it anyway with no thought or desire of future reward.
And what if Christ wasn't thinking about "promotion" in the first place?

Imperial_Samura
And what if Christ wasn't thinking about "promotion" in the first place?

If he already knew why think about it at all? He had a divine task of love, when it was finished he would be in heaven as God's equal. It takes away the need to ponder what the future had in store.

Regret
I know, I was just postulating that the big selling point of Jesus was the fact he was human, and as such I could accept some human things, especially things he might have thought. Which is another portion of Mormon belief that causes mainstream Christianity to dislike us. We believe we are spiritually brothers with Christ, Satan, all the angels, and literally descended from God. For us Christ was one of us, albeit he is and always was perfect.

FeceMan

That would be what Jesus made up about Jesus.
If he already knew why think about it at all? He had a divine task of love, when it was finished he would be in heaven as God's equal. It takes away the need to ponder what the future had in store.
And what if he didn't care either way?

Imperial_Samura
And what if he didn't care either way?

Yes? Was he in the position to care either way? The basis of this thread goes -

Satan was prideful, wanted to be like God, as as a result was cast down, where as Jesus never desired to be God's equal, just went about his business and was raised at the conclusion, thus thumbing the nose at Satan going "Nananana!"

My view is, if Jesus was fully aware of what was coming, then he kind of had the advantage - he didn't need to expect or desire becoming God's equal because he knew that is exactly what was going to happen (where as in Satan's case it didn't matter how good he was or humble or whatever he was never going to be let get higher then he was already.)

Maybe Jesus wouldn't of cared if he was just another soul on death, maybe he would have - the point would be moot because if it is true and he was aware then he was never in any doubt about what was going to happen to him.

peejayd
I agree that Jesus is I AM.
But...

Is God the Father "I AM"? No, I do not believe so.

* i'm afraid, you're wrong, my friend... Jesus never told that in John 8:58 that He is the "I AM"... let us read the context of the verse:

"Your ancestor Abraham rejoiced as he looked forward to my coming. He saw it and was glad.
The people said, You aren't even fifty years old. How can you say you have seen Abraham?"
John 8:56-57

* the people are wondering what Jesus had said, and they are obviously perplexed... Jesus said that Abraham saw His day but the people interpreted it the other way around... the people wondered how Jesus saw Abraham...

* but Abraham really did saw Jesus' day... but not because Jeus is the "I AM" but:

"Jesus answered, "The truth is, I existed before Abraham was even born!"
John 8:58

* yes, because Jesus existed long before Abraham was born... wink

Regret
Originally posted by peejayd
* i'm afraid, you're wrong, my friend... Jesus never told that in John 8:58 that He is the "I AM"... let us read the context of the verse:

"Your ancestor Abraham rejoiced as he looked forward to my coming. He saw it and was glad.
The people said, You aren't even fifty years old. How can you say you have seen Abraham?"
John 8:56-57

* the people are wondering what Jesus had said, and they are obviously perplexed... Jesus said that Abraham saw His day but the people interpreted it the other way around... the people wondered how Jesus saw Abraham...

* but Abraham really did saw Jesus' day... but not because Jeus is the "I AM" but:

"Jesus answered, "The truth is, I existed before Abraham was even born!"
John 8:58

* yes, because Jesus existed long before Abraham was born... wink Yes, like most, you also have an interpretation. Interpretations of the Bible are a dime a dozen, mine isn't the same as yours. Your statement is only your interpretation, not necessarily fact.

Vathu
Satan hates God because. He banished him to Hell.

AND HE GAVE THE MAN GOAT HANDS!

Everytime he goes to the bathroom to shave. He tries to pick the razor up with his wittle goat hand. AND IT DROPS! IT DROPS TO THE FLOOR!

Poor Lucifer. cryoh

FeceMan
*Sighs.*

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Vathu
Satan hates God because. He banished him to Hell.

AND HE GAVE THE MAN GOAT HANDS!

Everytime he goes to the bathroom to shave. He tries to pick the razor up with his wittle goat hand. AND IT DROPS! IT DROPS TO THE FLOOR!

Poor Lucifer. cryoh

What are you talking about? One of the popular portrayals of Satan is a man with a goats body waist down (like Pan from mythology) but I have never seen a portrayal where his hands were "goat hands" - which doesn't make any sense. Goats don't have hands. And Satan can apparently change his form.

I banish you from these forums for being so making no sense.

peejayd
Yes, like most, you also have an interpretation. Interpretations of the Bible are a dime a dozen, mine isn't the same as yours. Your statement is only your interpretation, not necessarily fact.

* no, my friend... read the context, it's not about the NAME of Christ, but His pre-existence... wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.