System performance monitor: Warning

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Yuna_And_Tidus
I'm getting a little popup protruding from a little triangular shaped, flashing icon with an exclamation mark in my system tray. The popup says:
System performance monitor: Warning
Summary:
System performance slowed down by: 47%
Internet connection speed decreased by: 39%
Probable reason:
Spyware applicatoins / Adware popup windows
Click this baloon (yes, it's even spelled wrong) to download spyware scan tool to remove spyware/adware applications.

It's obvious that this stupid thing is fake, but I have no idea how to get rid of it, so any advice would be appreciated! I'm also getting another popup that comes up in a browser type thing, and I'm not sure if it is assocated with this system tray icon or not because I haven't seen one since before I restarted a few minutes ago.

edit: I finally got the popup. It says:
Critical System Warning!
Your system is probably infected with teh latest version of Spyware.Cyberlog-X.
Type: Spyware
Infection Length: 266,129 byes
Risk: High
Systems Affexted:Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, 2003 Server, XP
Behavior: Spyware.CyberLog-X is a spyware program that monitors user activity, logs keystrokes, and dtracks Web sites visited.
Symptoms: Low Internet connectoin speed
Low system performance
Securty center alerts
Strange pop up windows
Protection: Click OK to donwload(yes, it's spelled like that on the popup) antispyware software.

LinixCobra
Its probably spam... download a program called Ad-Aware which is free and it basically finds spam and viruses on your PC or AVG. I would try Ad-Aware first though.

K73SK
for a free spyware and adware scanning program, i'd suggest spybot search & destroy...for malware...idk nething that could scan that 4 free...that i can think of erm

I can't place an opinion on Ad-Aware, because I personally haven't tried it yet.

Lana
I've had problems with both AVG and Ad-Aware basically not doing a damn thing. Ad-Aware would miss a lot of things, and AVG would find stuff...but not actually let me DO anything about it, just "oh look here's a problem but we won't let you fix it".

I use Avast Antivirus (you have to register it to use it after a certain point, but it's free to do so) and Spybot Search and Destroy on my PC. I'd definitely recommend those over AVG and Ad-Aware.

Yuna_And_Tidus
Alright, thanks for all replies. I'm going to try Spybot right now and see if it works, if not I will download Avast! I have AVG right now and have been using it for quite a while so I'll give something else a shot.

This morning I woke up with 22 IE popups with those stupid virus warnings and I know they were fake and were associated with this other spam/spyware/whatever it is.

LinixCobra
Im also gonna give Spy Bot a try, havent used that one yet.

Yuna_And_Tidus
Alright I just used Spybot a bit ago and it found 14 problems, none of which were "Spydoctor 2006" which I found out is one of the annoying pop-ups trying to make me pay money for something stupid, which I refuse. I just downloaded Avast! though, so I will give that a try.

edit: Damn it! After avast just started it did a memory scan and it says a Trojan horse was found in cermprogram files\video activex object\iesplugin.dll, can I delete,move/rename this?

Lana
Move everything it comes up with to the chest.

Also, there's a program called CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) that I'd recommend you use as well. It goes through and clears out your cookies, deletes useless files, and fixes any registry errors it finds.

Yuna_And_Tidus
Aaah! *Yanks hair out* Avast! is coming up with errors! Every time the memory search is stopped due to something it finds, it won't allow me to move it to the chest. It won't allow me to do anything with it.
A popup says The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
Cannot process "cermprogram files\video activex object\isadd.dll" file. But I use Netscape as my browser.

I figured out that one of the little pop-ups from the system tray is for a stupid product called Malware Wiped.

edit: AND another pop-up from www.asecurezone.com comes up, telling about "Unwanted Popups Detected!"

Lana
Try downloading and running CCleaner first, before running Spybot and Avast.

And you should close down every other program on your computer while you have Avast running.

Yuna_And_Tidus
Alright, *staples hair back on head*, I will try CCleaner right now.

K73SK
Originally posted by Yuna_And_Tidus
Alright I just used Spybot a bit ago and it found 14 problems, none of which were "Spydoctor 2006" which I found out is one of the annoying pop-ups trying to make me pay money for something stupid, which I refuse. I just downloaded Avast! though, so I will give that a try.

edit: Damn it! After avast just started it did a memory scan and it says a Trojan horse was found in cermprogram files\video activex object\iesplugin.dll, can I delete,move/rename this?

is that video program a great deal...like is it something you need? if it's not, go to safe mode, and delete that file. see if that helps any. you need to get rid of trojans as fast as you can once u realize u have one. they're deadly sick

Yuna_And_Tidus
Uh...I didn't even mention a video program.

K73SK
Originally posted by Yuna_And_Tidus

Cannot process "cermprogram files\video activex object\isadd.dll" file. But I use Netscape as my browser.

^ try renaming the file "isadd.dll" to something like "isadd.aaa". see if taht does anything. if your other programs start acting funky, change it back to dll. if the ads disappear and everythings fine, delete taht file. only thing i can think of.

that location is why i was asking about a video program. i've never heard of video activex object. so i just figured, hey must be something you use to watch videos with....

Yuna_And_Tidus
Alright guys, I FINALLY fixed my computer with a bit of help from HijackThis and SmitFraud Fix and that's all I needed! So if anyone needs help you can PM me and I will help you.

My computer has never run this fast and all of the stupid popups are GONE!!! Happy Dance

K73SK
lol congrats stick out tongue

Yuna_And_Tidus
Thank you, thank you very much.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.