Favorite Band that msot people have never heard of.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lighthammer
Mudmen, out of toronto. I accidently discovered them while listening to this celtic radio station.They are really good.

EPIIIBITES
MSTRKRFT

The Core
The Birthday Massacre from Canada. They're my third favorite band behind Deftones & KSE.

EPIIIBITES
Wow...that's 3 Canadian bands in a row...strange. MSTRKRFT is my most recent...but I'd have to say The Stone Roses is my all time fave that way too many people haven't heard of.

Nellinator
Doc Walker a Canadian country band.

EPIIIBITES
Sloan is another...again, Canadian. Wow

Slay
Opeth.

And to keep the Canadian theme going, Boards of Canada. Who aren't actually Canadian.

el_barto
Weakerthans.

Alpha Centauri
Wait, what do we mean by most people?

People who aren't generally into music and wouldn't casually know them? Because Tool apply to that really. We need some criteria. Also, it depends on area.

If you said The Birthday Massacre anywhere along the East Coast of Canada you'd probably get laughed at. They have such a cult following that almost everyone at their shows there know each other, and the band. Though I suppose in MN it would count as an under-the-radar band.

Even I had a rather lengthy chat with the members when they played here.

-AC

The Core
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

Though I suppose in MN USA it would count as an under-the-radar band. thumb up

I'm only speaking on behalf of my home and native land, here. Most everyone, in the United States, probably hasn't hear of, or much of, The Birthday Massacre. I think they've got fans on VampireFreaks, and that's about it.

Nellinator
I'm from western Canada and had never heard of The Birthday Massacre before today and I have friends out east who I'm, sure have never heard of them. I'd say they are under the radar even in Canada. Having a cult following usually means that someone is under the radar though they are generally worthy of more.

The Core
Originally posted by Slay
Opeth.

And to keep the Canadian theme going, Boards of Canada. Who aren't actually Canadian.

Opeth are best underground, really. They tend to be a favorite amongst people who can actually appreciate music. Kind of like Deftones,, they've been lurking but have a strong enough underground following to keep it going for years.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by The Core
thumb up

I'm only speaking on behalf of my home and native land, here. Most everyone, in the United States, probably hasn't hear of, or much of, The Birthday Massacre. I think they've got fans on VampireFreaks, and that's about it.

TBM toured there last year, and they have a massive fanbase in Chicago.

-AC

The Core
You have to taken into consideration that in order to sell albums, they have to venture outside of Canada. Of course they're going to tour the United States. That still doesn't mean they're wildly popular. I think they're one of electronica's best kept secrets.

How did you come about the Chicago fanbase claim? Last show they played there was at a 750 person auditorium. And they skipped Minneapolis altogether, which is home to one of the most famous venues in music history, being First Avenue.

Alpha Centauri
It's more devoted than huge in number I guess.

The guy who runs the biggest TBM fan portal is based in Chicago, and they have a lot of fans there.

-AC

manorastroman
linus of hollywood, mendoza line, olivia tremor control/sunshine fix, softies, thinking fellers union local #282

pcp
Cold War Kids sound pretty awesome.

papabeard
Bloc Party and 2 Gallants are two of my favourite bands, which are not particularly well known.

Also the new Bloc Party album " A Weekend in the City" was released today and I have to say it is marvellous.

vintageSW77
THE FALL

jaden101
the unknown

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The Beautiful Girls. They're from the land of Oz, and they make simple, beautiful acoustic tunes. If you're a fan of Jack Johnson, Donovan Frankenreiter, Xavier Rudd, John Butler Trio, Ben Harper, etc. you'll like them.

Check out Learn Yourself, it's a great album, and Freedom (Part 2) is a great tune.

Arctic
Their not my favorite, but not a lot of people have heard of them....unless they have become better known recently...Alter Bridge.

The Core
I think Alter Bridge suffer from the "Tantric" syndrome. They part ways with their lead singers, Travis Meeks/Days of the New, and Scott Stapp/Creed, then go on to make music that sounds identical to what they made before, except the lead singers that made them what they were are gone, and then the novelty wears off.

Their new album, Alter Bridge that is, is in post-production.

Arctic
Yeah hopefully their next album is just as good, or better.

masterkit
Within Tempation-Know one but me knows who they are in this state.

Solo
Originally posted by vintageSW77
THE FALL

Nellinator
Originally posted by masterkit
Within Tempation-Know one but me knows who they are in this state. That's surprising, they aren't a closet band. They have one of the better female vocalists out there.

The Core
I'm also going to throw out Enter Shikari and Sky Eats Airplane. Two of the most unique bands I've ever heard, and I think they're on their way up.

SpaceMonkey
Big Dume

Deathblow
Originally posted by The Core
I'm also going to throw out Enter Shikari and Sky Eats Airplane. Two of the most unique bands I've ever heard, and I think they're on their way up.

Enter Shikari are quite big in England, considering they don't have an album out yet. I don't think they're that unique really, the sort of trance elements they have in their music are awesome but aside from that they could be a British Alexisonfire (before they turned boring). I get a lot of crap for liking them too, because of the whole emo thing.

The Core
I was set to buy the old LP, but since everything on that will be on "Take To The Skies", I'm just holding out. Probably just get the digital download, because otherwise it looks to be upwards of $30 for the album.

§P0oONY
Tool... At least in my area.

EPIIIBITES
Linton Kwesi Johnson - reggae

Delerium - Canada, new age

Bowery Electric - trip hop

Groove alla Turca - world

S.U.M.O. - House

Swayazak - electronica

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Deathblow
Enter Shikari are quite big in England, considering they don't have an album out yet. I don't think they're that unique really, the sort of trance elements they have in their music are awesome but aside from that they could be a British Alexisonfire (before they turned boring). I get a lot of crap for liking them too, because of the whole emo thing.

I don't see why you should get crap for liking Enter Shikari, though I don't like them. Especially on the grounds of calling them anything close to emo. When you can admit to liking The Killers, I'd say Enter Shikari shouldn't be a band you are dissed for, haha.

It does annoy me how everyone is saying they're ultra unique. I hate that. They're not creating anything new, they're making songs with a bit of trance in, a bit of metal. They're not blending in the way true genrehoppers blend.

-AC

Funkadelic
Red Zebra

BackFire
I guess Dredg, even though they've been growing in popularity over the past few years.

The Core
I think Dredg are pretty boring, personally.

AozorA
Scapegoat Wax and Dragon Ash

Deathblow
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I don't see why you should get crap for liking Enter Shikari, though I don't like them. Especially on the grounds of calling them anything close to emo. When you can admit to liking The Killers, I'd say Enter Shikari shouldn't be a band you are dissed for, haha.

It does annoy me how everyone is saying they're ultra unique. I hate that. They're not creating anything new, they're making songs with a bit of trance in, a bit of metal. They're not blending in the way true genrehoppers blend.

-AC

You should see the vast majority of their fans. Regardless of whether it's an incorrect label or not, they definitely fall under that wave of ''emo kid'' bands. It's stupid, really, but labels have to be affixed to everything nowadays it seems.

One day, you'll forget I mentioned liking The Killers. One day.

vintageSW77
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES

Swayazak - electronica

i got the 12" of I DANCE ALONE
the ADULT remix

was a good track from about 4 years ago

Solo
Casiotone for the Painfully Alone

manorastroman
casiotone is really, really great. twinkle echo, pocket symphonies, answering machine music...

Solo
Yep, have you heard Etiquette yet? It may be my favorite of 2006.

manorastroman
etiquette was better in a technical sense (denser, more inventive, better production), but i didn't like the songs as much. answering machine and twinkle echo are my favorites.

Nyarlathotep :P
I don't know if they're really unheard of, but no-one I know has heard of Iced Earth.

See, the reason I don't know if they're unheard of is because one of the people I asked didn't know who MetallicA is. He was immediately given a 25 minute history on one of the greatest metal bands of the '80s. But now, they've sold out. It's just depressing to see what has happened to hem over the years.

el barto_1
both iced earth and opeth(esspecially) are huge bands in Scandinavia. with huge fan-bases.

and since I am from Norway, I might mention some bands that are wildly popular in other countries, but most people have'nt heard of over here.

Tuatha de Danann - Celtic Rock/Metal from Brazil
Korpiklaani - Folk metal from Finnland
Waylander - Celtic Metal from Ireland
Finntroll - Folk Metal from Finnland

I could go on and on, but i won't

The Core
Finntroll, I can't help but laugh when I hear them or Nekrogoblikon. They're actually touring together soon.

EPIIIBITES
The Nits - some old band...from Holland I think. Got a mix tape of them from someone once and pretty much every song rocked.

Lunatic Calm - I think people might know the song "Leave you Far behind"...don't know if a whole lotta people knew the group by name or any of their other stuff.

Eccentric
Just Jinjer. ^_^

snowultra
the kooks

Silverstein
THESE SILHOUETTES

from cobourg, ontario canada

Barker
In:aviate and Autumn Rhodes.

Angelcorpse
Anaal Nathrakh

Black metal rock

EDIT:
Originally posted by el barto_1
both iced earth and opeth(esspecially) are huge bands in Scandinavia. with huge fan-bases.

and since I am from Norway, I might mention some bands that are wildly popular in other countries, but most people have'nt heard of over here.

Tuatha de Danann - Celtic Rock/Metal from Brazil
Korpiklaani - Folk metal from Finnland
Waylander - Celtic Metal from Ireland
Finntroll - Folk Metal from Finnland

I could go on and on, but i won't

I have heard of all of those bands haha.

ragesRemorse
juliana theory
rock and roll soldiers
porcupine tree
tsar
taproot
ceasars
bowling for soup
living things

Imaginary
Originally posted by snowultra
the kooks

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
juliana theory
rock and roll soldiers
porcupine tree
tsar
taproot
ceasars
bowling for soup
living things

no expression

geshien
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
juliana theory
rock and roll soldiers
porcupine tree
tsar
taproot
ceasars
bowling for soup
living things

i'm familiar with taproot, juliana theory, and porcupine tree.

anyways...16 volt and cyanoitc

geshien

FistOfThe North
Sexual Chocolate.

vanice
Originally posted by Cory Chaos
Finntroll, I can't help but laugh when I hear them or Nekrogoblikon. They're actually touring together soon.

They are totally mad. From what I've heard they all woke up in a studio after a party where all of them had got insanely drunk. They didn't know each other before that. They were naked during the recording of on of the albums "to get the right vibe". I don't think any of the original members are left, but the spirit carries on stick out tongue

vanice
And oh, I forgot...

Whenever I start talking about Jazz everyone goes like what??? so I could name a few that I like, that I doubt you know of.

Horace Silver
Kenny Burrell
Grant Green

If you're in to jazz, you should know of these people...

In other genres...A.C.T - a swedish prog. metal band. really good.
Wendy Mcneil is quite unknown I think.

But most people whee I come from haven't heard Radiohead so it's hard for me to see what bands are big abroad.

Favourite unknown band? - Farmers Market.
They are hilarious. As most Norwegians...

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by snowultra
the kooks

Dear oh dear.

My favourite band that not many people know of would have to be Fujiya and Miyagi. I recommend a listen.

EPIIIBITES
I haven't heard a lot of their music, but We Are Scienetists have become a favourite band of mine simply because everything that comes out of their mouth is hilarious. Funniest group of guys around.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
I haven't heard a lot of their music, but We Are Scienetists have become a favourite band of mine simply because everything that comes out of their mouth is hilarious. Funniest group of guys around.

I agree, fantastic group and a funny bunch.

smoker4
The Loungs

The Kooks, The Fall, Block Party, unheard of? maybe outside of the UK should be bolted on the end of the thread title. They are good bands though apart from The Kooks who are s**t IMO

2D_MASTER
Pinback. Great band, but I am sure sooner or later they will break into the mainstream. Oh yeah The National is pretty good too, though I'm sure they will never make it big.

yvonekarate
Madrugada
Postgirobygget
deLillos
Vamp
Dum Dum Boys
Jokke & Valentinerne

Very popular here in Norway, but not many know who they're outside Norway.

Regards, Yvonne

Mywi

Captain Maynard
Bubblemath

vanice

Mywi
Originally posted by vanice
Holy hell? do you mean that you've heard Koop as in the Swedish electro Jazz/soul band? Where are you from?
They're nice yep, I like them

im from Slovakia slide

vanice
Cool, I didn't know their music were played outside Sweden.

Mywi
Originally posted by vanice
Cool, I didn't know their music were played outside Sweden. Its probably not. I know almost all my bands from just le internet. 13

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by Mywi
Its probably not. I know almost all my bands from just le internet. 13

FAWKING REPORTED!

Violent2Dope
Insane Clown Posse, my favorite band. They are fairly well known for an underground band, but even so alot of people hate them.

chillmeistergen
They're incredibly well known, even over here. So they're not underground.

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
They're incredibly well known, even over here. So they're not underground. You're underground if you get little to no radioplay or videoplay and even tho as I said they're well known for an underground band it's mostly hate.

Slay
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
You're underground if you get little to no radioplay or videoplay and even tho as I said they're well known for an underground band it's mostly hate.
Even if they are underground, they're still well known, so they don't apply to the thread's question.

Mine is Spinvis. He's not even well known in the Netherlands, while he has won quite a few awards...

sugarrogue

ragesRemorse
gomez
Street Dogs
the pogues
Mahavishnu orchestra
Green Carnation

Mywi
emiliana torrini..

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
Insane Clown Posse, my favorite band. They are fairly well known for an underground band, but even so alot of people hate them.

That shitty song homies got far too much video and radio play. Bunch of bloody reprobates in clown make up, just a stupid gimmick.

SnakeEyes
Probably: Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

A good amount of you on KMC have heard of them probably, but a lot of people I talk to have never heard of this band.

Kaos sebaceous
I bet noones heard of

Pass the Broccoli Grandpa

real band

no lie

amity75
Maybe all you younger ones have never heard of this band but I urge you all to listen to "Husker Du". Possibly the most important band to come out of America in the 80's.

vivando-loca
Skillet

wicker_man
Akercocke,
Node,
Panic Cell
& Phazm

Alpha Centauri
Akercocke are decent as a live act.

-AC

Nellinator
Originally posted by wicker_man
Akercocke,
Node,
Panic Cell
& Phazm I favourite heard Node...

CaptainStoic
I know that there are people out ther who have heard of these groups but they are still somewhat obscure... they are alos pretty good.
1. Failure
2. The Indians
3. The Sundays
4. Katherine
there's a couple more but I'll leave you guys with just those few.... by the way Failure is great, so if you have not heard of them yet, try them you may like em.

Pezmerga
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Return To Forever
Weather Report
Al Di Meola (They are well known in the right circles, but most people are clueless)

In America Porcupine Tree is pretty obscure...even though they are amazing, although after FOABP they are getting alot more recognition.
Pineapple Thief
Marillion.
Spocks Beard
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Bacamarte
Black Bonzo
ARSNOVA (the Asian chick trio, I think there are a few other bands with this name...They are sort of a Emerson, Lake , and Palmer clone, in the regard that they play bass, keys and drums, and are obviously influenced by them.)
Camel (at least in the US)
King Crimson - (US again...and it's not just the youth, I swear most people think Led Zeppelin, The Beatles,Black Sabbath ,The Who, Pink Floyd,etc. were the only music acts in the 60's and 70's...and King Crimson just released a new album a few years ago! A good one at that!)
Magma
The Flower Kings
Just to name some..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.