saddest anime ever

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

M.T. STYLE
Grave of the fireflies = so depressing

K73SK
midori no hibi was pretty sad erm

Dinalfos
Jin-Ro and Battle Angel Alita will have you weeping. In a good way, of course. Excellent movies.

Psyquis52
Originally posted by M.T. STYLE
Yes. That is definitely true.

dirkdirden
Originally posted by M.T. STYLE

I downloaded that and it took me 4 days. And it wasn't even the right movie it was some china movie that wasn't even anime. Very pist, and still have yet to see it.

But FMA gets me sad.

Takiko_4ever
Samurai X OVA
or Rumbling Hearts

jake hamoy
ruruoni kenshin ova. ya i agree. tomoe gettin' slashed by the one who loved her.

kaboom
i just finish watching grave of the fireflies. yep, saddest anime so far for me.

kaboom
some parts of dragonball is sad too

KonekoNinja
which do you think is sadder the story where the character's life has always been terrible and he/she has never know happiness or the story where the character had achieved real happiness and then lost it all.

K73SK
both concidering midori no hibi was almost both of those stick out tongue

M.T. STYLE
the last episode of yu yu hakusho

Kaldorei
The ending of Fruits Basket made me shredd a lot of real tears. Never cried like that to an anime before no

SamuraiSquirrel
either the last to FMA or EL ((for those who dont know, EL is Elfien Lied))

M.T. STYLE
Originally posted by kaboom

lol.... hahaha laughing

boobsmagee
great teacher onizuka, only one reason to me why it was the saddest anime ever

and that was the fact that the show ended

kyolover2
Escaflowne, I found it to be sad at the ending.

M.T. STYLE
the ending of many anime series are sad even if it's a happy ending.

soundtrack
Originally posted by kaboom

maybe....but they killed it because theyre always able to bring the ppl back.

cowboy bebop is kinda sad, but that had to happen to make the story work. rurouni kenshin ova was sad. trigun...wolfwood (yea...i was sad), and i know that there are more...just cant think of them right now.

lol...PS: sailormoon has some sad seens in it too.

Zen2nd
The last few episodes of Wolf's Rain, its just heart wrenching.

Shogun DXPSI
Kanon, the one about the kid coming back to a town and had lost some of his memory. That one had a lot of tear-jerkers

Elva
Mmmh. I think Kanon was pretty sad, probably not the saddest I've seen, but I can't really think of any other's at this moment in time.

Edit:
Woah..haha. I didn't even read the post above mine..and I did after I posted.

Crazy. We both think Kanon was pretty sad, huh?
Yeeaah... I love that anime though. It's amazing, and really good.

Psyquis52
Kino No Tabi has very sad moments
Chrono Crusade has a very sad ending
I was sad because Azumanga Daioh ended...sad
FMA has a sad ending...

But nothing beats Graveyard of the Fireflies.

jmcnasty
Graveyard of Fireflies was the saddest anime I have ever seen. The actual movie was the saddest movie I've ever seen.

grimify
bumping this, was going to create this topic

surprised it hasnt been said....now and then, here and there.

FinalAnswer
Yeah, OP is right, Grave of the Fireflies is the saddest ****ing anime ever.

Shit, I consider it the saddest work of fiction ever =|

grimify
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
Yeah, OP is right, Grave of the Fireflies is the saddest ****ing anime ever.

Shit, I consider it the saddest work of fiction ever =|

It's pretty bad, but watch "Now and Then, Here and There", if you haven't seen it. It's a toss-up imo.

Nephthys
Mecha-Bambi. I always tear up a little when Bambi's robo-momma dies. cry

NemeBro
Wut.

psycho gundam
gundam for the win again

menokokoro
Originally posted by SamuraiSquirrel
either the last to FMA or EL ((for those who dont know, EL is Elfien Lied)) agree with the second, that...ooooh, so much just, man. poor puppy crybaby

NemeBro
I found Elfen Lied kinda funny in how it tries so hard to be honest.

Astner
The characters in Grave of fireflies didn't seem realistic (as children) to me, yes children might be stubborn and run away but when in need they'll return for help. So I didn't feel any empathy for them.

AsbestosFlaygon
AIR.

After I was done reading the last chapter, tears were subconsciously running down my cheeks.

Another one is Clannad.

That shit was heartwrenching.

Bro SMASH
Fist of the North Star had a lot of sad parts in it.

dadudemon
Looks like I will check out Clannad based on AsbestosFlaygon's suggestion.

Also, Grave of the Fireflies looks like another I'll have to look into.

RE: Blaxican
Bleach.

I've just felt so... empty, and invalidated, after reading the past 50 or so chapters.

NCRotCA
Elfen Lied, though Evangelion depressed the hell out of me.

NemeBro
Elfen Lied and Evangelion are hilarious, IMHO.

wakkawakkawakka
I would like to put "Claymore" into this if I can. The whole Teresa backstory and Pieta incident were depressing as hell. Then again the whole series is about sochiopathic women w/swords so I guess that could be expected.

NCRotCA
I didn't really find Evangelion sad in a conventional way, it more just left a really horrible feeling in my stomach after watching all of it. Let's just say I went in sort of expecting it to ultimately end with a happy ending, and for Shinji and Asuka to fall in love and Shinji and his father to make up etc., and not for everyone to start going crazy and to see their insanity unfold before your eyes, and then go on to die, only then to see the Human Instrumentality Project begin and everyone joining together and becoming a single person.

I personally wouldn't give this to animes like Clannad or Air simply for how poorly they compare to the visual novels that they originated from. The animes don't possess a tenth of the emotional value that the VNs do.

Nephthys
^ Truth. They get you emotionally invested in the characters and then they all fricking die or go shitfaced at the end. That is pretty depressing. But maybe we'll get a happy ending with this new version. He isn't suicidal this time so fingers crossed!

As much as I'm a total girl for watching it, Strawberry Panic is pretty goddamn sad at the end, just because 2 of the more likable characters have their lesbian crushes completely swiped from under them and they have to just smile and be happy for them. Actually, it's pretty much an emotional rollercoster throughout now that I think about it.

dadudemon
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
I would like to put "Claymore" into this if I can. The whole Teresa backstory and Pieta incident were depressing as hell. Then again the whole series is about sochiopathic women w/swords so I guess that could be expected.

Hardly any of them are sociopathic. And, when they do go SP, they are killed...for the most part.

In fact, it is one of their rules to NOT kill a human. smile WEEEE!

(Yes, I agree with you...I just like to get nerdy.)

NemeBro
Originally posted by NCRotCA
I didn't really find Evangelion sad in a conventional way, it more just left a really horrible feeling in my stomach after watching all of it. Let's just say I went in sort of expecting it to ultimately end with a happy ending, and for Shinji and Asuka to fall in love and Shinji and his father to make up etc., and not for everyone to start going crazy and to see their insanity unfold before your eyes, and then go on to die, only then to see the Human Instrumentality Project begin and everyone joining together and becoming a single person. See, I found that shit hilarious. I only wish there was moar time in the anime for me to watch them all suffer. Teehee.

Astner
Originally posted by NemeBro
Elfen Lied and Evangelion are hilarious, IMHO.
Most likely because they're poorly written so it's difficult to relay to the characters and their struggles.

Phoenix3068
The saddest anime are the ones where in the end things never seem to work out. I say my top more upsetting anime are:

-Fate/Stay Night (Everyone pretty much dies in the end)
-Death Note (All the main characters die)
-Full Metal Alchemist (I think Brotherhood was more upsetting though)

There was one anime where no matter how good it became, a sad factor came into play which always instantly dropped to tears.

NCRotCA
What's well written if those two are poorly written out of curiosity?

Why the focus on the writing in the first place anyway? Given that with anime/manga, the story is predominately demonstrated, rather than described as it is in a book, the writing's only really of merit as far as what it means within the context of the story. It's the storytelling that's significant.

Nephthys
I er, con-cer. Elfen Lied and Evangelion, whatever their faults, had fantastic emotional depth in my opinion. With Evangelion its because of the amazing soul-crushing atmosphere and direction as well as the strength of the characters and Elfen Lied is just really good at emotionally manipulating the reader/watcher.

Phoenix3068
I do agree, Elfen Lied has a lot of good dramatic scenes (though a lot of perverted ones as well) =P

captain sock
Elfen Lied is actually pretty bad.

Boku no pico is sad. Watch that instead.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Nephthys
I er, con-cer. Elfen Lied and Evangelion, whatever their faults, had fantastic emotional depth in my opinion. With Evangelion its because of the amazing soul-crushing atmosphere and direction as well as the strength of the characters and Elfen Lied is just really good at emotionally manipulating the reader/watcher. Elfen Lied tries much too hard. Subtlety doesn't exist in Elfen Lied, and in its attempt to be taken seriously, it backfires and crosses the line twice, only in this case it is unintentional, which makes the various allegedly dramatic scenes humorous.

Evangelion, eh, sort of the same reason, though is nowhere near as bad as Elfen Lied.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by captain sock
Elfen Lied is actually pretty bad.

Boku no pico is sad. Watch that instead.

Only sad if you were a gay child that couldn't get laid.

Nephthys
I think I need to watch Elfen Lied again. i don't remember it being this bad. sad

NemeBro
Oh, well I am mainly thinking about the manga.

wakkawakkawakka
I didn't see much of Elfen Lied but from what I did see I can make the following summary; a girl with horns that look like cat ears has a puppy, the puppy dies, and she goes apeshit with invisible hands.

I know its more detailed than that but like I said I didn't see much of it.

Phoenix3068
This thread's been gone for nearly 9 months or so now so I'm not sure about posting but I do have to say...

Since my last opinion I spent a week of doing nothing but watching anime, this was a down week for me where I spent time in another state with my best friend and sense internet connection down there is so good we watched Netflix Anime. Claymore seemed interesting but the Claymores themselves seem badly drawn. I couldn't see much sadness from the few episodes I saw. Kenichi was er.. a little sad? I just laughed at mostly everything. Gurren Lagann had some real sad points considering everyone who died and Yoko's Kiss of Death, lmao.

Out of every Anime I've ever watched, ever heard of, etc the most sad anime by far in my new opinion is...

#1 Saddest Anime Ever: Clannad

or to be more specific...

Clannad ~ After Story

Clannad leads up with 24 episodes in 1 semester of Highschool which really gets you to know the characters deeply. I really got in-touch with the idea of Tomoya - a boy who has lost his desire to try hard in school because of his life, having fought with his father which cost him his shoulder and his basketball career. All having to lead him to Nagisa, someone who as strange as she was just seemed to call out to him. While the original 2 parts of it was tear jerking specifically at the points including Fuko and Kotomi with Death, After Story pulled it all into an utter sadness that my heart couldn't bare any longer.

Not just the death but a lot of it, it caused me to fall out of my bed and onto the ground. It was... really the saddest collection of moments I've ever seen. I found myself crying so hard through the episodes that I lost the ability to breath temporarily. I've tried having some of my friends watch it, even a friend of mine who never cries but even he shed a tear for it. Anyways, my last opinions would rank like... Rank 59 in comparison so I just thought that I should post my last post on this thread as far as what I think.

lilshogun
Ending of Battle Angel was sad.

Nemesis X
The last episode of Angel Beats sad

psycho gundam
mobile suit gundam victory. easily

yoshiyuki tomino was going through depression due to the sunrise-bandai corporate merger, so while it was being made he sort of tried to sabotage it, so the huge body count started early in the series.

nothing beats a series created from frustration and depression. the box set even has a message on it from him telling people not to purchase it. no expression

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.